HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Are you worried about Ebola comming to Canada?
Yes. 20 23.26%
No. 63 73.26%
I'm not sure. 3 3.49%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 12:56 PM
Ciao tutti

Are you worried about Ebola coming to Canada?

Are you worried about Ebola coming to Canada?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 1:03 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Presumably that would mean a Canadian or someone with a connection to Canada caught it while in Africa, and I'd feel horrible for them. But I'm not worried. It'll come or it won't. Either way, we'll be fine. It's not going to spread here.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 1:03 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Not overly. It basically spreads through the untreated sewage issues of the third world. That, combined with funeral practices where one kiss the dead farewell, extreme distrust of governments after decades of civil wars, distrust of foreign aid after colonialist abuse, and a barely existent medical system in West Africa is why it's been spreading. Last I checked there were under 10k cases. I believe in that time two to three times as many people died of the flu world wide. AIDs has probably killed about that amount. Malaria has likely killed thousands too.

In Canada ebola is basically without spread vectors. Direct family members might get it, but the virus can't survive for very long outside of a host. Like so short a time labs have trouble studying it because it falls apart before they can do anything. You're probably more likely to get killed by lightning than you are to catch ebola in Canada.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 1:36 PM

Would I rather that Ebola didn't come to Canada? Of course! Will it be the end of our nation if it does? Of course not!

The main stream media is overblowing the ebola scare, but at the same time the "underground" media is underplaying it (they always have to say the opposite of what the main stream is saying) So the truth about Ebola is in the middle.

I don't know where else to post this, but I just saw a somewhat relevant post on my facebook that is very troubling.

There are always the alternative views that have to go against the established western thought, but some of these reactionary articles / viewpoints are downright dangerous.

There is this one blogger who just popped up on my facebook via a friend unfortunately liking his post who has a massive anti-american agenda.

On his facebook he claims that ebola is nothing more than a western conspiracy to disable West Africa.

Here is a quote of his:

Quote:
Ebo-LIE
People In the Western World Need to Know What's Happening Here in West Africa. THEY ARE LYING!!! "Ebola" as a Virus Does NOT Exist and Is NOT "Spread". The Red Cross Has Brought a Disease to 4 Specific Countries for 4 Specific Reasons and It Is Only Contracted By Those Who Receive Treatments and Injections From the Red Cross. That is Why Liberians and Nigerians Have Begun Kicking the Red Cross Out of Their Countries and Reporting In the News the Truth. Now Bear With Me:
This same man also claims that the 300 muslim girls kidnapped from school is also fake.

This guy is black, and I do believe race plays a part here, and nearly everyone who follows him is black or looks like a hipster.

Yes, it is one thing to be against the "establishment" but activities such as what this man is doing is downright dangerous and immoral.

His lies fueled by his agenda are only distorting the truth and potentially hurting many innocent people.

Also, the west is not always to blame for everything.

This self hating anti-west notion is really going to far, I hate to say it but no other society in the world has established as equal and firm rights for women, homosexuals, and foreigners in the world as the west in general currently. Despite all the West's flaws, it really is the leader for many fundamental positive societal traits at this time.

To add to Beedoks' post the people of West Africa also have a lot of hard core religious and superstitious practices that are dangerous for their health.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 1:41 PM

Depends on how things unfold in the next few weeks. This thing is not getting away anytime soon and a world breakout is a very possible scenario. We're dealing with a crisis like we never seen before. I'm affraid we are underestimating the menace. Hope I'm wrong.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 1:46 PM
I am the law!

Hell yeah. Donald Sutherland's hometown is Toronto afterall.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Hell yeah. Donald Sutherland's hometown is Toronto afterall.
Nice...just as long as Dustin Hoffman catches that monkey first!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 1:55 PM
Ciao tutti

Personally I think its only a mater of time before it reaches here, I've been watching CNN all morning and they are scaring the hell out of me.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 2:00 PM

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 2:44 PM

Ebola will arrive in Canada. It's as close to inevitable as anything can be, especially once the number of cases in West Africa rises from the current ten thousand or so, to the millions expected by January.

But these will be isolated cases, terrible of course, but unlikely to spark actual outbreaks inside Canada.

The real danger in my opinion will be the climate of fear that is sure to develop, which might slow down economic activity (with a lot of people withdrawing into isolation) to the point that it triggers a recession. This recession might end up killing more people in Canada than the actual Ebola virus does.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 2:46 PM

I am concerned

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Don't take it so lightly just because it's not airborne. Someone with ebola sneezes on a doorhandle, you touch the doorhandle, then rub your eyes. You could have ebola.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Don't take it so lightly just because it's not airborne. Someone with ebola sneezes on a doorhandle, you touch the doorhandle, then rub your eyes. You could have ebola.
It's doubtful that an Ebola carrier who is well enough to be mobile is all that contagious. It appears that Ebola carriers are non-contagious during the incubation stage, and even the early symptoms stage, and are only slightly infectious before they develop more severe symptoms such as vomiting and uncontrollable diarrhea, not to mention bleeding. But at that point, they become really REALLY infectious. Hopefully, they are in isolation wards by that point.

First person in US to catch Ebola: The Meaning of Ebola Patient Two

Quote:
Don’t panic, even if you live in Dallas. But also, don’t fall into the hyperskeptical trap of assuming that because scientific authorities tell you everything is fine that concern is irrational. There are very rational reasons to be concerned. But you need to be smart about what to be concerned about.

A couple of weeks ago, as you know, a man came to Dallas with pre-symptomatic Ebola, and became symptomatic there. This was the first case of a person being diagnosed with Ebola in the US. The case was botched. The hospital sent home a man with pre-Ebola symptoms who had come from West Africa. He was later admitted after he got a bit sicker and tried a second time to get treatment. There were other ways in which the case was not handled too well, mainly from a public relations and messaging standpoint, but the CDC and the hospital involved seemed to be doing a good job and getting their acts together.

Now, the situation has developed in a rather disturbing way. A health worker that had been caring for Patient 0 has now been diagnosed with Ebola. This happened overnight. The patient was under self monitoring, had a mild fever, went to the hospital, was tested, and the reasonably reliable preliminary test indicated Ebola. A second much more reliable test is being done now but it is expected to be positive.

I just watched the news conference and from this I gathered the following important bits about the new patient.

-The patient was in the low risk pool. Among Patient 0′s contacts, there were higher risk and lower risk. Higher risk individuals were being isolated and/or monitored very closely, lower risk individuals were self monitoring. This patient was self monitoring.

-The person cared for Patient 0 during his treatment prior to his death at Texas Presbyterian; there was no contact during the initial botched visit.

-The new Ebola patient used protective procedures (gown, mask, gloves) in that care. The exact nature of the care beyond that is being kept secret at the moment owing to HIPAA rules. (But see below to see how absurd the HIPAA rules are in this case.)

-The new patient seems to have lived with a second person who is now also in isolation.

-Hazmat suit wearing teams arrived during the night at the apartment complex of the new patient, and decontaminated public areas such as the lobby of the apartment building, and the interior of the patient’s car. It is thought that there is a pet inside the person’s apartment, but teams, as of this writing have not entered the apartment. They plan to do that soon. Local police doorknocked everyone in the “immediate area” to explain to them that they should not panic, did a “reverse 911″ call for the area, and are re-door knocking this morning. So, the identity of the patient will be known any moment now because you can’t really do all that without that happening. (Which, frankly isn’t too relevant. I’m not sure if HIPAA rules should protect health care workers in quite the same way as patients, though they may in fact do so.)

So, what is the meaning of this all?

First it means that when hundreds of administrators, police, government officials, hospital employees, health workers, etc. are tasked with the job in the US of making sure no one gets Ebola from a person who has Ebola, and also tasked with the care of that person, a) one person gets Ebola anyway, and b) the first patient dies.

I very quickly add that this is a TINY SAMPLE SIZE OF N=1 and I’m being a bit cynical here. But it is still true that all these resources failed to prevent what every one feared, and what the authorities said would not likely happen.

Second, note that this new patient did not get Ebola from Patient 0 prior to his first visit to the hospital, or after that first botched visit. Again, small sample size, but it points out something important. When we say that a human with Ebola can spread the disease only when they are symptomatic, that probably doesn’t even count the initial fever period. Infectiousness is probably correlated to the severity of the symptoms. The family members or heath workers who deal with the bodily fluids randomly coming out of a person who is dying of Ebola, bed ridden and very sick, are at the highest risk, even those in the lower risk pool like this new patient. (This is why the HIPAA rules need to be set aside. We actually need to know what this person’s role in the process was, what this person did exactly. That is important information that the public has a right to know. If this reveals the name of the worker by deduction, then so be it. The person’s name has already been effectively revealed by deduction form the activities at the person’s home.) But, importantly, once a person is really infectious, they are really, really, infectious. See my quick note below on spread of Ebola.

Third, note that the medical authorities have said all along that following proper procedures minimizes risk. Note that even when following proper procedures one person was infected anyway. Note that at this morning’s press conferences, the authorities have not changed their story. This is partly your fault, members of the public, because collectively you seem unable to understand that Ebola is both very dangerous and manageable. Your collective insistence that your fear being ramped up is somehow proof that Ebola has gone airborne is an example of that. If you collectively stop being unmitigated morons about this, then the authorities can stop being alarmingly Orwellian about it. Maybe.

Fourth, think about this. A huge effort is made to avert a possible Ebola outbreak. The effort fails in a couple of ways, but we get lucky, those failures don’t cause too many problems other than, possibly, the death of the patient because care was not timely and proper drugs were not administered. But as far as the concern over an outbreak goes, the early screw ups did not cause one. So, proper and resource intensive procedures are in place and everything is going as well as it can be. Then somebody gets Ebola anyway. This explains West Africa. Here, in the US, we have 200 people for every Ebola patient. In West Africa, you might have 1 person for every 100 (possible) patients out there. Those numbers are made up, but you get the point. In order to limit Ebola in West Africa we’d have to do what we can do here, and that proves to be of limited utility. Prior outbreaks were stopped because of the high ratio of health workers AND the disease burning out by killing almost everyone in some families or small villages so spread was stopped. So now we have a better sense of what is going on there. Imagine that every person in the US isn’t just someone who heard about Ebola in some other city. Imagine, instead, that everybody in the US lives in an apartment building in which one or two other people in the building have Ebola. And there are no hospitals.

So, collectively, that is all good news and bad news. One more piece of good news: We are near the end of the period during which someone who may have been infected might show up.

On the spread of Ebola

I’ve written about how Ebola is spread before and about the unlikelihood of it “becoming airborne” (see links below). But I keep hearing, again and again, that this or that vague observation someone has made proves that it has already gone airborne. Well, I’ve got a bit more to add to that discussion to help people put it in perspective. The truth is, pretty much every one who is saying it is already airborne or that it is likely to go airborne or that eventually it is inevitable that it will go airborne is an airhead. Sorry for the strong language, but at this point it is simply true that with so much information out there about this being utterly wrong is not acceptable.

Consider Norovirus. It is roughly as infectious as Ebola. Two years ago, for example, we had an outbreak of it here in the Twin Cities. Someone at Huxley’s daycare had it. Then Huxley, then everyone else at his daycare, and everyone in our family, and everybody. Had it been fatal, the entire region would be dead. It is not airborne, but it is a disease that there is a good chance all the people crowing about Ebola needing to be airborne have had, have seen in action. Next time you feel the need to insist that Ebola is airborne remember the last time everybody in your family, one by one, got the “stomach virus” (as it is often called). It wasn’t airborne. You got it because germs from someones’ poop or vomit got into your mouth. Perhaps you should not have been licking people’s anuses or drinking their vomit with a straw during that time. Oh, you claim you did neither of these things? OK, fine, you weren’t doing that. But you still got kooties that came from vomit or poop. The way bodily fluids get around, and the opportunities for contact, are much greater with Ebola. With the stomach flu, most of the time most people can make their own way to the bathroom to have diarrhea and vomiting. With Ebola, the sicker patients are lying in bed doing this in a closed room. Everything gets kooties on it. Maybe they were soiling themselves and puking for a few hours in a “taxi” waiting to get into a hospital. Touch touches stuff that touches stuff and bits of Ebola rich feces or Ebola laced vomitus are now on your hands.

Even the flu is only barely spread airborne, but mainly through direct or indirect contact. Ebola is more infectious because it does better with indirect contact.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 3:15 PM

No............

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 3:32 PM
Still optimistic

I just like to remind myself that one of humanity's worse epidemics kills about 1.3 million people every year, or just short of 3500 people per day: car accidents.

When it comes to whether or not I should panic about the latest humanity-ending disease, I try to put it in perspective and, strangely, I feel much better knowing that I'm much, much, much more likely to step off the sidewalk and into my grave than to die of Ebola.

Death surrounds us and it's honestly more trouble than it's worth to get all worked up about it.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 3:36 PM

The only thing I would worry about regarding Ebola is if the disease mutates into something more transmittable or deadly.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
I just like to remind myself that one of humanity's worse epidemics kills about 1.3 million people every year, or just short of 3500 people per day: car accidents.
And diabetes kills 4.6 million people a year worldwide. This is of personal significance to me, considering that I have diabetes, as do my mother, father and one uncle. A lot of huge killers are barely noticed, compared to the current number of deaths from Ebola.

The problem with Ebola is that while the number of people infected RIGHT NOW is only about 20,000 or so, it is expected to reach the millions by January, of which at least 70% (and probably higher, with the collapse of the health care systems in those regions) will die. And that's assuming that it stays confined to West Africa. If it makes it into the teeming slums of India, South America or elsewhere, it could easily cause tens or hundreds of millions of deaths in 2015 alone.

Last edited by Mongo62; Oct 12, 2014 at 4:18 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 4:59 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
The only thing I would worry about regarding Ebola is if the disease mutates into something more transmittable or deadly.
HIV is spread across tens of millions of people, is one of the most rapidly mutating viruses out there, and in some countries is have serious issues with spreading thanks to education and improving safe sex education. I would be far more worried about HIV going airborne than Ebola. Viruses can evolve very quickly, but they still need evolutionary pressures to cause things and massive adaptions to go from a fluid transmitted disease to airborne.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 5:06 PM
I am the law!

Spanish Flu killed 40 million people in 12 months and some Hollywood designer bugs have killed billions. I think viruses should be of greater concern than car accidents particularly in a country where it takes a little more than a $10 dollar gift to get a license.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 5:24 PM
gettin' rich!

Last night my friend told me about an Ebola case in Atlanta from 30 years ago with the Ebola infected monkeys from Africa and the disease free monkeys from Japan. They (the monkeys) were never in the same room, however the air vents of the rooms were connected, and (as you might have already suspected) the Japanese monkeys died. Apparently, they had to incinerate that CDC unit after this entire episode ended.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada