HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Should Canada take in more immigrants annually?
More immigrants annually (more than 250K). 51 50.50%
Less immigrants annually (less than 250K). 23 22.77%
Same number of immigrants annually (~250K). 27 26.73%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 2:33 PM

The current economic conditions have a hard time supporting what we have now, let alone a dramatic increase in the immigration count though. The long term situation warrants more immigrants (or a higher birth rate), but not in the short term.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 3:31 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post

People refuse to look at increasing the birthrate, which is a far more sustainable long-term solution.
You're reaching an incorrect conclusion. People aren't refusing to look at increasing the birth rate they're being realistic about the prospects of doing so. Higher TFR is preferable, but not likely. We've been below replacement levels for decades.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 4:27 PM
Back from the dead

Taking in immigrants is directly related to the economy. While it's true that the economy fluctuates and we therefore base our intake of immigrants on the overall trend, the fact remains that it's economically irresponsible to take in immigrants simply to keep numbers up.

Furthermore, we can't simply take in any immigrants but rather continue to seek out qualified candidates.

For example, we all know of an immigrant who was a doctor and now drives a cab. Why is that ? Because the standards in different countries usually don't match up well with those in Canada. Just as chiropractors are to medicine what a kid with a wrench is to auto repair, we can't just take peoples' word that they're qualified and up to our standards.

I don't know how many people I've met who majored in English here in China yet can barely speak a sentence. I don't have a problem with that...it was their money and time after all. The point is that you can get a degree in a language and yet still have no idea how to speak it. There's something fundamentally wrong with a system that allows such an outcome. Unfortunately, it's the norm around the world.

That's why we can't just take more people in nor can we take everybody who claims to be able to do a job we desperately need somebody to do. I'm all for helping people upgrade their skills so as to become competent in Western standards but if that's going to be the case then we should be offering such a program to Canadian citizens first, no ?

If anything, what we need to do is a little more marketing and promotion. We need to hit our immigration target but we can't lower our standards to do it.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 5:19 PM

If there was a moratorium placed on immigration (except for legitimate refugees) and a shutdown or change (requiring full salaries) of the TFW program, how long until we reach full employment with the existing population? That assumes people move where jobs are (i.e. unemployed in Ontario are persuaded to Alberta). The net migration would be slightly negative due to emigration in that time.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 7:04 PM

I would be willing to accept more immigrants into our beautiful country but we should radically change the way they integrate to our society, as we can see in Toronto

Instead of mixing all together, ethnical communities are isolating themselves in Toronto. A good example is how Chinese communities categorically refuse to move in areas mostly South Asian, which they consider inferior (I know). Look at the difference between Brampton and Markham. In Markham, the Chinese community represents 38% of the population and only less than 1.5% in Brampton.

Have a look at Brampton and Markham.

Markham (300,140): Chinese: 38.3%, White: 27.5%, South Asian: 19.1%, Black: 3.2%, Filipino: 3.0%
Brampton (521,315): South Asian: 38.4%, White: 32.9%, Black: 13.5%, Filipino: 3.4%, Chinese: 1.5%

You really don't feel like there is any kind of culture that unites everyone. Each community has its own enclave. I really hope that other Canadian cities will opt for a better way to include their immigrants and not become as divided as Toronto.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 7:33 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Come on man, Brampton is an immigrant gateway due to cheap real estate and blue collar survival jobs. As soon as they get money, they move out to mixed communities like Mississauga or Milton and if they're young, to downtown. I can't speak about Markham since I'm not familiar enough with that market. From what I can tell the cliquish types down there tend to be fresh off the boat, give them some time, increase english language immigration requirements and integration will speed up.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
An annual intake of about ~1% of our population seems manageable. So, roughly where it is now, maybe a little higher. I don't see much point in trying to get immigrants to settle in Amos, Quebec or Biggar, Saskatchewan. They will invariably go to where social networks of their kith and kind exist, and to where the jobs are.

Hey, maybe the slogan "New York is big, but this is Biggar" will entice some people?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 7:39 PM

markham has a much stronger asian connection from my understanding, lots of second generation immigrants living there still.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
markham has a much stronger asian connection from my understanding, lots of second generation immigrants living there still.
With the number of Chinese folks shelling out big money in Markham to tear down suburban homes and build huge new homes, I doubt that particular community has plans to move anywhere else.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I don't know how many people I've met who majored in English here in China yet can barely speak a sentence. I don't have a problem with that...it was their money and time after all. The point is that you can get a degree in a language and yet still have no idea how to speak it. There's something fundamentally wrong with a system that allows such an outcome. Unfortunately, it's the norm around the world.
That doesn't matter until they want a job. When I was doing interviews during April we reviewed resumes with many people being international students. Those who could not speak properly unfortunately for them would not be hired and were not considered for the job since as a consultant we need to talk with clients and communicate. Those that could however had a leg up and I hired those that could speak English. Of the 5 people hired 3 were immigrants (with 2 moving to Edmonton for the job), one international student and one born and raised Edmontonian. So yes they may not speak English but when they want to work, they can't get the job unless they can speak.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
If there was a moratorium placed on immigration (except for legitimate refugees) and a shutdown or change (requiring full salaries) of the TFW program, how long until we reach full employment with the existing population? That assumes people move where jobs are (i.e. unemployed in Ontario are persuaded to Alberta). The net migration would be slightly negative due to emigration in that time.
You can cut down the foreign worker program but other things must be done in conjunction. One thing that would change things somewhat is actually apply equal benefits and access to EI across Canada making it harder to qualify in some parts of Canada and easier in others. That alone would cause some people to move (specifically in rural parts of Atlantic Canada to the cities where the jobs are). After a certain point if you do not have a job where you are for long enough and cannot get EI where do you get the money to live. You have no choice but to move. In addition, the feds could help pay the travel expenses for that person to go to the job. So for example we have 100 people about to get cut off from EI in rural NB but we need 100 workers in Fort Mac. The feds could offer to pay for the travel expenses upfront and then garnish the wages until it is paid back and that person will not qualify for EI again until it is. So that would encourage them to stay at their job and ensure it gets paid. The feds benefit from that person no longer getting a paycheck but instead would be paying taxes. NB benefits as they would no longer have to pay for costs of social services etc. Alberta sees no change as the job is filled but the advantage. So overall an advantage to Canada.

With regards to immigrants and their qualifications that is a tough thing to do in many cases on a national level and must be done by the provinces. But for example the college of physicians could be forced to accept the person as soon as they land in Canada but part of the application would be to complete the acceptance test. So if they can pass it they are in the day they arrive. The immigration applicants must submit to a health test and language test, security test etc so why not make them write the exam for their profession and if pass it all then they can come work in their profession the moment they land.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
I don't know if the economy can handle a higher rate. Every time a new immigrant is accepted it can be seen as an investment that Canada is making into a person. Essentially. Healthcare, occasionally welfare, other forms of assistance as well. Not to mention what a huge influx of developed talent does to the job market (more supply than demand).

By no means am I anti-immigration - I am one afterall - but there needs to be a cap for the country's economy to not suffer from over-investment.
1. A lot of the immigrants who come under the economic quota are either doing jobs that Canadians aren't doing as much for whatever reason (certain trades and other jobs) or are professionals that Canada lacks (certain STEM fields). So I think at least in those cases, it's a mutually beneficial arrangement; not necessarily a one-way investment.

2. The impact of immigration on the economy is really difficult to assess -- there are studies stating that immigration has a positive impact (creating more jobs, providing the economy with certain skillsets that the local population doesn't have in abundance) and studies stating that immigration has a negative impact (especially in depressing wages). I'm not an economist and I don't know the details, but I think at the very least it's a topic with multiple perspectives from relevant experts.

3. I agree that there must be limits, but I don't think Canada is anywhere near those limits. I think Canada could easily go from 250K to 500K without significant risks of adverse impacts.

Last edited by saffronleaf; Oct 3, 2014 at 11:11 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am open to increasing somewhat as long as we get serious about improving our processes with respect to selection, incentives to settle in certain areas, and integration with Canadian society.

I am also in favour of devolving much of the responsibility to provinces with an RCMP/CSIS oversight with respect to security checks, etc.
I think devolving it to the provinces also gets rid of having to sit together as an entire country and discuss how to improve our selection process, incentive system, and integration with Canadian society.

I think everyone will agree with those three things, but I am sure people in different parts of the country will interpret those statements differently.

For example, people in Alberta might have different ideas about what constitutes a 'good selection' -- for Alberta, a tradesperson or construction worker or on-site workers might be amazing.

Manitoba and Nova Scotia might take different approaches to settlement incentives. NS might decide at some point that it wants to focus on making Halifax a major city and might want to provide incentives for immigrants to settle in/near Halifax, MB might decide that it wants to open up its Arctic Port and put incentives to settling in a remote town rather than Winnipeg.

Quebec may want to put more emphasis on social integration. Ontario might be more OK with having an immigrant who doesn't understand English. Given how the French language in North America is surrounded by English-speakers, Quebeckers might want to ensure some fluency in French to ensure that the French language thrives.

I don't think having that discussion on a national level will turn out to be constructive. This country is massive. We don't have all that many consensuses (hell, not even our Constitution has a consensus). And that's perfectly fine.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
For example, we all know of an immigrant who was a doctor and now drives a cab. Why is that ? Because the standards in different countries usually don't match up well with those in Canada. Just as chiropractors are to medicine what a kid with a wrench is to auto repair, we can't just take peoples' word that they're qualified and up to our standards.
That's one of the worst parts of Canada's immigration policy. Canada is irrationally difficult about recognizing credentials obtained internationally. It is far easier to get accredited in the US or Australia than Canada -- and the US and Australia have excellent professionals. I mean Canada doesn't fully recognize US credentials sometimes. If you get a law degree at UofT, you can sit for the bar in a few states (Michigan, New York, and maybe a couple other states; regardless, NY is the key market). If you get a law degree in the US, it's 6 months to a year, a bunch of exams, and sitting for the bar after all that if you want to practice in Canada.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 11:45 PM

Being a lawyer in a different legal jurisdiction isn't exactly the same transition as being a doctor and working with fellow human beings though.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 2:37 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by big W View Post
That doesn't matter until they want a job. When I was doing interviews during April we reviewed resumes with many people being international students. Those who could not speak properly unfortunately for them would not be hired and were not considered for the job since as a consultant we need to talk with clients and communicate. Those that could however had a leg up and I hired those that could speak English. Of the 5 people hired 3 were immigrants (with 2 moving to Edmonton for the job), one international student and one born and raised Edmontonian. So yes they may not speak English but when they want to work, they can't get the job unless they can speak.
I know that. You missed the point.

I went to see a doctor at a large hospital here in China due to an inflammation in my knee. Scientific medicine. All the most modern technology. Really quite impressive. And what did the doctor tell me ? Said it was the cold wind that caused my knee to swell up and turn red. In the spring after a long cold winter. This is a guy who knows something about scientific medicine, pharmacology, and modern diagnostic equipment. And he still managed to tell me what the average medieval European barber would have told me. That was neither the first time I got such a nonsense diagnosis from people who really should know better and I'm definitely not the only Westerner to have had such an experience. A lot of Westerners find themselves self-diagnosing and self-medicating to a certain degree because they don't want to spend money on useless pills that they already know do absolutely nothing or get a diagnosis from a doctor that sounds like it was ripped directly out of some 'herbalist's' handbook.

So does that man have value as a potential immigrant ? Yes but not because he can come over and begin working as a doctor. He would need to have his previous mix of science and superstition run through a sieve and then have the precipitate vastly expanded upon. He's got a good amount of knowledge but it's mixed with nonsense that he was trained to believe is actually medically sound.

The question becomes whether or not we as Canadians should support him until he becomes a qualified doctor up to Canadian standards. My answer is no for the simple reason that we already have enough manual laborers (which is what he would more or less wind up being until he got his degree) and if we decide instead to pay for it ourselves then why aren't we doing that with our own citizens first ?

I think you've got the wrong impression here. I'm not against immigration at all. Quite the contrary, I'm all for as much as we can support. That's the key though...as much as we can support. It's harder than most people realize to get the people we want and Canada consistently fails to reach its immigration targets because we can't find people with the skills we need.

To me it makes more sense to offer free university tuition in selected fields to all Canadian citizens so that we have room at the bottom to accept those with few if any skills (providing they meet other requirements)

Another thing you need to think about is how post-secondary education operates in different countries. In East Asia it's really hit and miss but for most kids, high school is actually the most difficult time of their lives. University is the downward slope. Sometimes it's a testament to how grueling high school is for these kids (and it is. It basically robs them of some of their most important years) and at other times it's a testament to how useless a lot of their post-secondary institutions are. Unfortunately, the latter possibility is usually the case. That was what I was trying to impress upon you in my previous post. If they didn't get their degree in a fully developed nation then there's a good chance that you have no use for whatever skills their degree claims they've been trained in.

Last edited by Spocket; Oct 4, 2014 at 2:48 AM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 3:21 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Just as chiropractors are to medicine what a kid with a wrench is to auto repair...
Ho ho ho...one of my cousins by marriage is a chiropractor. And he's kinda creepy, like chiropractors sort of tend to be. You know, doing "subluxation" for infants, vaccinations cause autism, medical doctors exist merely to sell drugs, Joseph Mercola is speaking truth to power, etc.

Plus he's an evangelical Christian. He's got the whole package. I sometimes wish I had the nerve to make an off-hand joke in passing like the quote above when I see him at Christmas, but it's probably best not to.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 3:27 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
I went to see a doctor at a large hospital here in China due to an inflammation in my knee. Scientific medicine. All the most modern technology. Really quite impressive. And what did the doctor tell me ? Said it was the cold wind that caused my knee to swell up and turn red. In the spring after a long cold winter. This is a guy who knows something about scientific medicine, pharmacology, and modern diagnostic equipment. And he still managed to tell me what the average medieval European barber would have told me. That was neither the first time I got such a nonsense diagnosis from people who really should know better and I'm definitely not the only Westerner to have had such an experience. A lot of Westerners find themselves self-diagnosing and self-medicating to a certain degree because they don't want to spend money on useless pills that they already know do absolutely nothing or get a diagnosis from a doctor that sounds like it was ripped directly out of some 'herbalist's' handbook.

So does that man have value as a potential immigrant ?
Oh gawd, I used to live in Taiwan. I know what that's about.

Some traditional Chinese medicine practitioners immigrate here and open up practices selling hocus pocus treatments to people in the Chinese communities. But as you've illustrated above, there are good reasons they don't walk into OHIP-funded practices directly after disembarking from the plane.

Even so, my uneducated opinion, informed by people who know more about the situation, is that the time immigrants to Canada qualified in their home countries need to gain medical qualifications here could stand to be shortened by quite a bit.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 6:43 AM
Back from the dead

^That's what I used to think too. Sometimes it's just a matter of gaining a few more credentials. My friend got her accounting degree in Beijing but still had to pick up a little more training to get certified in Canada.

The reason I don't agree with it now though is because sometimes you have to get ideas OUT of somebody's head. If we gave my favorite doctor all the latest medical information available and turned him into some sort of super GP, he'd STILL be using his training in weather and magic energy flows to some degree.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 6:46 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Ho ho ho...one of my cousins by marriage is a chiropractor. And he's kinda creepy, like chiropractors sort of tend to be. You know, doing "subluxation" for infants, vaccinations cause autism, medical doctors exist merely to sell drugs, Joseph Mercola is speaking truth to power, etc.

Plus he's an evangelical Christian. He's got the whole package. I sometimes wish I had the nerve to make an off-hand joke in passing like the quote above when I see him at Christmas, but it's probably best not to.
I used to think that chiropractic was actual medicine until I was considering becoming one and picked up a book on it.

I can't believe that people actually pay for their garbage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada