HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Admittedly I had no idea of the history of Argentina's African population, however, their relatively small numbers today never struck me as odd. The countries in the Americas with historically large black populations are those where the plantation economy flourished - which for many (Canada, Northern US, Mexico, Chile, etc) was never the case. I'd have otherwise assumed that was the case for Argentina as well.
Even before post war migration, I don't think places like Canada and the northern United States were as completely devoid of black people as Argentina is today. Honestly, the reason I looked up the history is because I've been there several times and it always strikes me as weird that there seem to be none living there. I can probably count using my fingers the number of people with visible African ancestry that I've encountered on all of my trips put together. I saw far more black people in Tokyo.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 4:09 PM
Look at me!

Asians in Canada don't even know that Quebec has a large population of french-speaking asians. Some of my (fully canadianized anglo asian) Vancouver friends were STUNNED when they first came to Montreal: they witnessed asians speaking french...amongst themselves. WOW was essentially their reaction.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:23 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ well that's interesting.

who knew, but montreal went form 5% asian in 1981 to 31% asian today. that's a lot for a place you don't think of as with a huge asian population, like vancouver.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ well that's interesting.

who knew, but montreal went form 5% asian in 1981 to 31% asian today. that's a lot for a place you don't think of as with a huge asian population, like vancouver.
Where did he say that Montréal was 31% Asian today?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:37 PM
The New Republic

According to online the Montreal CMA was roughly 11.5% of Asian ethnicity in the 2016 Census. It's significant below the national rate of 17.7%. 17.7% is higher than I thought it was though. Canada is really not that far off from 1 in 5 people being of Asian descent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...l#East_Indians
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Canadians

Last edited by isaidso; Jan 28, 2020 at 7:11 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions