HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post
I might have seen HALF of this exact double feature if this photo was taken in the last year or two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
[...] has anyone mentioned the film The Outside Man from 1971 or 72 that was shot on location all over L.A. and features remnants of the Pacific Ocean Park in Santa Monica, Sunset Blvd. locations, Beverly Hills, downtown and if I'm not mistaken, aerial shots of the decimated Bunker Hill area, among other things?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
How unfortunate.

I was at Metro's web site looking for some kind of map of how they will arrange the tracks and station, and I came across something equally sad - Metro offered the Senor Fish building for sale for $1 to anyone who would be willing to move it, for a year beginning in July 2012. I can only assume there were no takers. That proposal said it was constructed in 1913, so I guess it is the other building that was constructed in 1898.
How do you stabilize and move a 100 year old brick building? Seems like it would just be a dismantled pile of bricks to the potential buyer.

The older building was yet another (now lost) brewery. LA must have rivaled Milwaukee back in the day...

Anyone have picks of the brewery in its past life? 114 Central Ave.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_in_Texas View Post
[SIZE="3"]I think that Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches as a menu item anywhere had pretty much gone bye-bye by 1960, making anyone that remembers them being on the menu pretty much on their way to being an Old Geezer. LOL
Johnny Rockets has PB&J sandwiches on their menu as long as they've been around.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I've highlighted Beverly Boulevard west of Beverly Hills as it appeared on this 1928 map. As GW's LA Times article suggests, it is now Sunset Boulevard. In 1928, the start of Sunset is marked near the right of the map below.

From several recent posts I get that parts of Sunset Blvd. were at one time Beverly Blvd. What I want to know is--Beverly Blvd. (as in Fairfax and Beverly Blvd.) runs from L.A. through West Hollywood into Beverly Hills and stops when it curves into Santa Monica Blvd. in Beverly Hills. Were these two parts of Beverly Blvd. (the current one and the renamed Sunset Blvd. section) at one
time connected somewhere?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 12:05 AM

MP: I've looked at a good bit of Times coverage on this--the coverage begins in the 'teens through the '30s. Looks like the city fathers wanted a new route to the west side and proposed a "Beverly Boulevard" from Whittier to the ocean. The mid-town route involved First Street and Temple, which at the time extended west toward Windsor Square/Hancock Park. As early as 1912, there were proposals to rename Santa Monica Boulevard--or at least what was called the Santa Monica Road--Colegrove Boulevard, and soon after that a proposal to change it again to Beverly Blvd. Then in 1916 the proposal came for extension through Beverly Hills and on through Brentwood to the Pacific. Exactly what the path through Beverly Hills might have been is so far unclear, as is how it might have connected to the Beverly Boulevard that then existed (now Sunset--the extension west of which L.A. also called Beverly) and which in the '30s was all connected to Sunset coming from the east. Looks to me that as Beverly became the name of the current road west into BH to the south of Sunset, the city renamed its portion of the Sunset route west of BH and urged that city to follow suit, which it finally did. Seems there was a lot of wrangling, with the result that Beverly Boulevard never did become a city-to-the-sea throughfare. In other words, the current Beverly Blvd and the Beverly-now-Sunset never connected. Sorry if this is hard to follow--I've tried to simplify.

One thing I might add is that--especially in the super-boosterish Times--a lot of these articles were grandiose announcements of plans not at all firm in order to sell-sell-sell real estate....

LAT March 19, 1916

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Mar 17, 2014 at 12:51 AM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 12:30 AM
BANNED

Old Geezer.....LOL

Quote:
I think that Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches as a menu item anywhere had pretty much gone bye-bye by 1960, making anyone that remembers them being on the menu pretty much on their way to being an Old Geezer. LOL

Loved those old Anchor Hocking barrel tumbler water glasses that were used by restaurants everywhere. However today if they were still used in curb service people would be taking them home instead of leaving them on the tray. They even went bye-bye in sit down restaurants by the mid 1960s. Last one's I recall seeing was in the student center snack bar at TCU around 1963.

There are still quite a number of dine in your car drive-in restaurants around. One good example is the SONIC chain. They seem to do a great job of competing with the likes of McDonald's, Burger King, and Jack in the Box. Then there are still quite a number of throw backs to the 1950s around in small towns around the country, when going to the drive-in burger joint was a social event for many teenagers. This one is an example and was Elvis Presley's favorite place when he was stationed at Ft. Hood Texas. Their web site is more or less horrible but take the time to watch the video, it's interesting. Then check out the individual locations. http://www.stormsrestaurants.com/#!

Hey Retired in TX.....are you calling yourself an old geezer? LOL BTW, McDonald's, Burger King, and Jack in the Box.....are all dine in your car restaurants.....LOL

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
I might have seen HALF of this exact double feature if this photo was taken in the last year or two!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd9AyZvV3hM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_McI_KJIXOq...utsideMan4.jpg

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 1:17 AM

ok, I must be going crazy, because I thought I posted this last week but now I can't find it.
So here it is again. (or not again )

driving through the third street tunnel in 1963.

ebay

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 2:41 AM

Here's a very fine old building at Beverly Boulevard & N. Laurel Avenue.

GSV

This was my very first gym in Los Angeles (located on the second floor).
It had dark wood, tract lighting, wooden rafters, & exposed brick. -very 1980s.

Here's a photograph I took in 1984...back then it was known as the L.A. Body & Health Club. (no palm trees in front yet)

I just happened across this gym while walking down Beverly Blvd.
It was a good choice...not much attitude...and not very busy during the day.

Here's a contemporary view. The second floor is still a gym....an Easton's now.
GSV

above: It looks like the printing shop is still there, minus the blade sign. (visible in my 1984 view)

The store fronts along the side street (Laurel Avenue) remain empty as they were 30 years ago!
-kinda sad isn't it? (well, I guess the two with cross braces are part of the printing shop)

-view along Laurel Ave. looking south towards Beverly Blvd.
GSV

The back of the building is exposed brick. The fire escape and 2nd floor windows all had great views of the Hollywood Hills.
-there was a hot tub on the roof.

GSV

-a couple of the empty ground floor spaces....I'd love to see inside.
Hmm...I wonder if there's a basement? (I never thought about that before)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 17, 2014 at 2:31 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 4:32 AM

Shenandoah Library] Station, aka The Robertson Library Branch. Unclear whether the bars are purely decorative or serve some other utilitarian function such as security.

Undated - 8815 Alcott St.

http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics50/00059732.jpg

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Hey Retired in TX.....are you calling yourself an old geezer? LOL BTW, McDonald's, Burger King, and Jack in the Box.....are all dine in your car restaurants.....LOL
Maybe in your car, but not in mine. <G>

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 8:21 AM
BANNED

Nostalgia...Noir

Quote:
Johnny Rockets has PB&J sandwiches on their menu as long as they've been around.
I would certainly hope that J.R. has PB&J sandwich.....they have to have it....their specialty is retro food.

I'm not sure but does McDonald's and Jack in the Box have PB&J? I don't recall but I'm thinkin' they do have it.

There are 50 Roy Rogers restaurants....maybe they have the PB. A PB sure sounds like a RR type of food. Kids like RR and I'm sure he would want to cater to kids tastes. If they don't have a PB sandwich they're makin' a big old Texas size mistake..

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Mar 17, 2014 at 8:40 AM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 8:38 AM
BANNED

All U can eat for 50 cents....

Quote:
Maybe in your car, but not in mine. <G>
My car interior is white leather so I don't usually eat in the car. Ya know what I mean....a few spots of ketchup splattered across the upholstery always looks.... suspicious. If a cop sees that he might want to look in the trunk.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 8:44 AM

Fascinating stuff, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here's a very fine old building at Beverly Boulevard & N. Laurel Avenue.

LAT Apr 22, 1928

The question is whether or not we should be grateful that the Depression (apparently) forestalled the additional floors...

Over the years the building seems to have housed a Safeway, a branch of "Awful Fresh MacFarlane" candies, and Harry Lowitz, a TV dealer (selling Packard-Bells).

It also made a list of earthquake-vulnerable buildings in 1979... I guess it was retrofitted, and I'm glad it--and you--survived, ER.

LAT Nov 25, 1979

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 2:27 PM

Thanks for digging up that history GW. -much appreciated.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 2:52 PM

Here's another nice looking building that has survived.

ebay

today

GSV

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 2:56 PM

This is what the downtown skyline looked when I lived in L.A.

old file of mine

I didn't realize there was a skybridge/walkway connected to city hall. Is it still there?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 3:04 PM

ebay

I heard there was a 4.7 earthquake in Los Angeles this morning.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 17, 2014 at 5:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 3:05 PM

Yeah, THE OUTSIDE MAN really got around LA, using a lot of early 70's locations. I particularly recall that glass elevator on the outside of the building just west of Tower Records on the Sunset Strip.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 3:13 PM

What elevator is that Blaster? I lived near there and don't recall it.
__

ebay

Does anyone know where this was located?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos