HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 8:34 PM

In regards to the Stone Avenue Homes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXrkmDK51-A

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 5:47 PM

Broadway 30% alignment is out: http://broadwayboulevard.info/planning

I made an album of the buildings that would be demolished: http://imgur.com/a/b1CdL Just over half appear to be architecturally significant, and of that half only about half again appear to have been taken care of. None of them were identified as the only example of their type in the historic inventory.

I'm pretty happy with this potential outcome. The CTF managed to talk the RTA off an 8-lane 150' road into a variable-width 6-lane with bus pullouts, bike lanes and landscaped sidewalks. The road will be curved to avoid almost all of the historically significant buildings and will end up mostly just swiping parking lots in front of buildings-- making them even more accessible to pedestrians and cyclists. Because of the added lane, in the future it will be easier to add BRT or rail down broadway and connect with the transit lane that already exists starting at country club.

Last edited by Qwijib0; Mar 28, 2016 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 10:31 PM

Mordasini Villas

I am hearing about a 10-12 house development at 17th and Stone, West of the Jewish Museum. It is called Mordasini Villas. I dont have much information other than that. Nice infill location, hopefully they are nice homes.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
I am hearing about a 10-12 house development at 17th and Stone, West of the Jewish Museum. It is called Mordasini Villas. I dont have much information other than that. Nice infill location, hopefully they are nice homes.
Could it be the same as the Russell Townhomes at 16th and Stone? I can't find anything active at 17th.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 2:48 PM

Quote:
It is being developed by my neighbor who owns the property. I saw preliminary plans for the two story "villas", as they are being called. Architect is Corky Poster. Project is tentative, and although I'm really hoping it happens, the new townhomes on 21st offered for sale late last year have not sold a single one. And, they're really beautiful. Demand for downtown housing seems pretty weak. There are a lot of homes which have been on the market for almost a year, and a few that have been on the market for over 5 years.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azstar View Post
It is being developed by my neighbor who owns the property. I saw preliminary plans for the two story "villas", as they are being called. Architect is Corky Poster. Project is tentative, and although I'm really hoping it happens, the new townhomes on 21st offered for sale late last year have not sold a single one. And, they're really beautiful. Demand for downtown housing seems pretty weak. There are a lot of homes which have been on the market for almost a year, and a few that have been on the market for over 5 years.
My wife and I are actively looking to move downtown. We had our hearts set on Mercado, but the prices are a little out of our budget. Those houses seem to be selling well. I watch a few to see if the price will drop, but the houses sell before any significant price drop.

We also looked at the houses on 21st. Those are nice houses and at a reasonable price. However, we need a two car garage and most of those have only a single parking space. That is actually a common problem we encounter with homes downtown - one car garages or a single parking place. We discussed this with the agent selling the houses on 21st. He said that their current plan was not to include more than one car spot for future houses, but the request for bigger garages was common. He said they may actually redesign a few of the lots they have to include more spots.

Additionally, some current homeowners and builders downtown are trying to strike it rich with the booming location. There are houses for sale in Armory Park, Presidio, etc that are going for way more money than they are worth. We have visited a few and noted that after purchase, we would need to put in 100K-150k in renovations just to modernize or resolve issues on the structure. Sellers are looking for 300-400k as a purchase price. I just don’t see that as worth it to me.

I understand the location is a driving price point but as you stated, buyers are not flocking to these homes. Now, I am thinking that we will sit tight and wait to see if there is another downturn in the economy that drives prices lower. If not, we will stay in the suburbs and drive everywhere :/

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azstar View Post
I definitely don't think demand for housing downtown is weak. Developers don't either. Demand for housing in the ~$500k range, however, is weak and that's what a lot of houses downtown are going for.

Those townhomes on 21st look great, but that's a bit of a hike to downtown proper. It's 1.2 miles from that address to Congress & 6th, almost all of that walk through unactivated residential. I don't even live downtown and my walk to that intersection would be 1.3 miles. The difference between the average price in my neighborhood and those townhomes is roughly $200k. That's why they're not selling.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 6:27 PM

Quote:
I found the development package:
https://www.tucsonaz.gov/PRO/Command...InitialProcess

-Click the "Associated Documents and Plans" button
-Click the "View Files" button for the "Documents" row
-Click the "View File" button for the thrid row (1-Mordasini Villas Neighborhood Meeting 12.08.15.pdf)

This will be a presentation that shows Elevation, floor plans, lot layout, etc

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 2:13 AM

I no longer live in Tucson, but checking in on what is available downtown is a monthly ritual of mine for some reason.

There are a handful of properties that have sat for years, but there is a reason. Some are half million dollar bungled remodels with laundry in the alleyway and the fridge in the living room. Others, like the mansion on 12th, I think everyone realizes will be like the old man's house in "UP" sooner or later.

Any reasonably priced property north of 5 points sells, no matter how small, old or eccentric it is.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 12:17 PM

More infill near UMC..

http://tucson.com/business/local/hou...fc80f7ceb.html

Quote:
The historic Arizona Inn is getting new neighbors.

Tucked behind a fence of oleanders north of the hotel’s parking lot, on Elm Street between Campbell Avenue and Tucson Boulevard, luxury housing is under development.

Called Casa Seton, the project consists of 11 single-story Spanish Colonial homes, matching the architecture of the Arizona Inn, said Jose Ceja, principal architect with Exa Architects. The models are between 2,500 and 3,500 square feet and include three-car garages. Prices will range between $775,000 and $1.1 million.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 10:37 AM

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 3:22 PM

Quote:
My wife and I are actively looking to move downtown. We had our hearts set on Mercado, but the prices are a little out of our budget. Those houses seem to be selling well. I watch a few to see if the price will drop, but the houses sell before any significant price drop.

We also looked at the houses on 21st. Those are nice houses and at a reasonable price. However, we need a two car garage and most of those have only a single parking space. That is actually a common problem we encounter with homes downtown - one car garages or a single parking place. We discussed this with the agent selling the houses on 21st. He said that their current plan was not to include more than one car spot for future houses, but the request for bigger garages was common. He said they may actually redesign a few of the lots they have to include more spots.

Additionally, some current homeowners and builders downtown are trying to strike it rich with the booming location. There are houses for sale in Armory Park, Presidio, etc that are going for way more money than they are worth. We have visited a few and noted that after purchase, we would need to put in 100K-150k in renovations just to modernize or resolve issues on the structure. Sellers are looking for 300-400k as a purchase price. I just don’t see that as worth it to me.

I understand the location is a driving price point but as you stated, buyers are not flocking to these homes. Now, I am thinking that we will sit tight and wait to see if there is another downturn in the economy that drives prices lower. If not, we will stay in the suburbs and drive everywhere :/
I've been in the same boat. My wife is a RN and I'm a Planner...2 professionals and 3 years ago we peeked into the downtown market and the cost for a DECENT home was laughable. The only thing affordable were homes visually similar to the Munsters or Addams Family.

We decided to move NW in Continental Ranch off of I-10 and accessible to the 104 Express bus. We built some equity and we have a (now) 4 1/2 year plan to look into the downtown market again. Will there be some affordable housing by then? We're not picky either...we'll look at condos, townhomes, westside, Armory Park...but if middle-class families like us can't afford a home downtown, or choose to not pay $300-$500K, then all this non-student "housing" development is just a BUBBLE. It's a mirage of progress due to investors who will be buying but won't be living there.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 5:34 PM

TIA Renovation imminent:

https://news.azpm.org/p/local-news/2...n-this-summer/

Quote:
A major revamp of Tucson International Airport’s security and departure areas will start in June.

The security checkpoints, now located in the center of each concourse, will be moved to the outer edges of the terminal. That will open up space for more shops, restaurants and cafes in the departures area, said Mike Smejkal, director of engineering at the Tucson Airport Authority.

He said the new concessionaires will be chosen by early autumn.

"But the total project including the new concession and retail space won’t be completely done until about Thanksgiving 2017," said Smejkal.

How disruptive will the project be for people traveling through the Tucson airport in the next year and a half?

Minimal, said Smejkal.

"Most of the space that we’re doing our major infrastructure improvements on is actually empty space right now," he said. "So we just plan to put up walls around it and do the construction. And anything that’s going to be an area that actually affects the traveling public will be done at night or off-peak times."

The majority of the $28 million project will be paid with passenger facility charges. The Tucson Airport Authority will contribute the remaining $5.5 million.
Renders: http://www.flytucson.com/includes/me...n-Concepts.pdf

...and you still won't be able to go from A to B behind security.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 1:03 AM

Coyotes likely to move AHL affiliate to Tucson next season

McCusker said. “We’ve always been interested in finding a pro team but we really don’t know the status of what the Coyotes want to do.”

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty View Post

McCusker said. “We’ve always been interested in finding a pro team but we really don’t know the status of what the Coyotes want to do.”
The Phoenix Suns bought the NBA Developmental League team out of Bakersfield and are moving them to Prescott in their nice facility. That makes sense. No basketball team can compete with the UofA bball team.

Moving a "Triple A" type of hockey team to Tucson makes a lot of sense. I'm not a big hockey fan, but the AHL is definitely a good quality level league I'll plan on attending a few games.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
The Phoenix Suns bought the NBA Developmental League team out of Bakersfield and are moving them to Prescott in their nice facility. That makes sense. No basketball team can compete with the UofA bball team.

Moving a "Triple A" type of hockey team to Tucson makes a lot of sense. I'm not a big hockey fan, but the AHL is definitely a good quality level league I'll plan on attending a few games.
Report on KOLD mentioned that a number of locker-room, medical and back office improvements would need to be made by this upcoming season's October start for this deal to be done.

Sounded like a long shot from the KOLD report.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 9:38 PM

The HUB at Tucson II - 041616

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 1:08 AM

http://m.tucsonnewsnow.com/tusconnew...ntent/82PcWzBV

Looks like Hockey might happen, after all.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 3:57 PM

Still not ideal, but I think this is an improvement.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 4:10 PM

Just came across this container park development on 4th as well.

https://www.facebook.com/BoxYardon4thave/timeline

Looks like we'll have two container parks in the near future, the other being a bigger venture at the Mercado.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest