HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlwarrior View Post
The last Church just approved to sale today. Downtown Atlanta is on fire with all these new developments lately.

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7...stadium/nZ4t2/
While I'm glad that the stadium will be built on the south site, I was actually starting to warm up to the north site. I like the proximity to Marietta street which is becoming quite an active street. I think the stadium would have appeared less as a stand-alone building than it will on the south site and it would be neat to have the stadium looming just behind a busy retail/entertainment corridor. Still prefer the south site but I don't think the north would have been horrible at all.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
The Tokyo 2020 olympic stadium makes our new dome look pretty pedestrian I fear.

I smell another Montreal Olympic Stadium fiasco.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
I smell another Montreal Olympic Stadium fiasco.
Just curious, but do you mean the new Tokyo Stadium or ours?

And welcome back!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 2:15 AM

New exterior renderings

From the NE

From the NW

With Red accent lighting

http://newstadium.atlantafalcons.com...cepts-9-26-13/

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 2:35 AM

South site is "definite":
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/falco...stadium/nbBp4/

“This final decision regarding the location for the new stadium is the result of the efforts of many leaders within the city of Atlanta, state of Georgia, Georgia World Congress Center Authority and the two churches on the south-site property... As the preferred site, the south site serves the best interests of many important partners, including the surrounding communities.” - Arthur Blank

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Just curious, but do you mean the new Tokyo Stadium or ours?

And welcome back!
Tokyo. Any stadium that is banking on about 75% or more public funding is just asking for setbacks with union strikes, etc... To save money and complete the project, things like that roof will be scaled back or eliminated... like Montreal.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
From the NE

From the NW

With Red accent lighting

http://newstadium.atlantafalcons.com...cepts-9-26-13/
Beautiful renderings but they're not giving us much scale to compare it to. Give us a bus or two, a crowd of people milling about out front. That roof-line has to be at least what the Georgia Dome is though, 270 feet and about 800'x800' (roughly) at the base. Also too bad that some hotel isn't included within the complex with rooms/suites facing the field. Maybe Starwood could have created the first NFL licensed/theme hotel.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
Beautiful renderings but they're not giving us much scale to compare it to. Give us a bus or two, a crowd of people milling about out front. That roof-line has to be at least what the Georgia Dome is though, 270 feet and about 800'x800' (roughly) at the base. Also too bad that some hotel isn't included within the complex with rooms/suites facing the field. Maybe Starwood could have created the first NFL licensed/theme hotel.

The Georgia World Congress Center is assessing whether it'd be prudent or not to build a large hotel on the current site of its Gold Deck, tucked away near the Georgia Dome and Phillips Arena, the Atlanta Business Chronicle reports. And they're aiming high: The hotel would reportedly offer between 800 and 1,200 rooms (for context, the Westin Peachtree Plaza tower has 1,068 rooms). If the GWCC moves forward, the hotel could open as soon as 2018, the year after the schedule debut of the new Falcons stadium. Leaders are hoping for a yes-or-no decision by the middle of next year.

http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2...trict.php#more

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 9:33 AM

Blank: Falcons stadium groundbreaking in March

http://saportareport.com/blog/2013/1...ly-good-place/
Quote:
Arthur Blank, in his first press interview about the new $1 billion, retractable-roof stadium since an official decision was made to build the project on the south site, said the official ground-breaking likely will be during the week of March 31, 2014.

In the meantime, the architects and the engineers will be working on the final design and construction documents for the project. The state of Georgia also needs to acquire a few pieces of property — either through negotiations or condemnation.

Now Blank he and his organization will be turning much of their focus towards the community. The Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation already has pledged to donate $15 million towards community improvement efforts. It also is conducting a national search for someone to head its west side community development initiatives.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 6:21 PM

This video has a few images of the new stadium.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 4:47 AM

Falcons release new stadium drawings

I have to say that its very different than what I imagined when the pantheon concept was chosen but I am loving it.

Looking NW from the upper SE concourse

Looking East toward the "City Window"

"City Window" skybridge

Major League Soccer configuration

Cutaway showing the seating sections

Exclusive look at new Falcon's stadium part 1

Exclusive look at new Falcon's stadium part 2

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Oct 26, 2013 at 8:37 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
WSB had an exclusive on this yesterday. I have to say that its very different than what I imagined when the pantheon concept was chosen but I am loving it.

Exclusive look at new Falcon's stadium part 1

Exclusive look at new Falcon's stadium part 2
I love it as well....Still love it!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 9:27 PM

This was pretty funny. The title sponsor of the new stadium is......

http://www.atlbanana.com/parkatlanta...lcons-stadium/

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 5:48 PM

Not to be deputy downer, but it looks like the "translucent skin" idea is gone in the latest designs. There's still some a decent amount of light coming in but if you compare the last rendering to the new one, you can tell the roof looks way less light and transparent than it did before; the overall effect feels less like an outdoor stadium than it did before.

June: http://newstadium.atlantafalcons.com...e-cityview.jpg
October: http://newstadium.atlantafalcons.com...-102513-04.jpg

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNT View Post
Not to be deputy downer, but it looks like the "translucent skin" idea is gone in the latest designs. There's still some a decent amount of light coming in but if you compare the last rendering to the new one, you can tell the roof looks way less light and transparent than it did before; the overall effect feels less like an outdoor stadium than it did before.

June: http://newstadium.atlantafalcons.com...e-cityview.jpg
October: http://newstadium.atlantafalcons.com...-102513-04.jpg
I don't think its being a downer but it is accurate. And I think its just a matter of moving from concept to reality and making compromises to build something that is functional. For example, there would probably be some challenges to hosting an NCAA basketball tournament with games during the day in a building with a translucent roof.

I would even say that the choice of Pantheon over Solarium indicated that the overall design of the stadium was more important than the desire to have an "outdoor stadium that closes". It would have been much easier to achieve that ideal with the Solarium concept.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 1:13 AM

Quote:
I would even say that the choice of Pantheon over Solarium indicated that the overall design of the stadium was more important than the desire to have an "outdoor stadium that closes". It would have been much easier to achieve that ideal with the Solarium concept.
yeah, as the design comes further along, it's clear that it's not an "outdoor stadium that closes" like they're billing it as. it's an indoor stadium with a hole in the roof.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 4:11 AM

Quote:
I think its just a matter of moving from concept to reality and making compromises to build something that is functional. For example, there would probably be some challenges to hosting an NCAA basketball tournament with games during the day in a building with a translucent roof.
That's a reasonable point. And I'm no less excited about the new stadium with the new renderings. It just seems like architecture is the last commercial art where you can still get away with showing concepts so far from what's achievable in reality.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 1:21 PM

It still does open/close on the sides, there are fins/louvers that open where the concourses are, a nice touch for nice weather days. Looking at all the other stadiums on tap for the NFL in the next few years, this is easily the far away winner in features & design. Anything that makes Jerry Jones sick to his stomach is good in my book.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 12:39 PM

Committee Approves Community Benefits Plan Related to New Falcons Stadium

Quote:
A committee of Atlanta city officials and neighborhood leaders voted Monday night to approve a community benefits plan for the area surrounding the proposed new Atlanta Falcons stadium.

At the committee meeting, Mayor Kasim Reed acknowledged how contentious the process had been, but reiterated it needed to wrap up.

Since July, city officials and the neighborhoods have been working on a plan to revitalize the west Atlanta area. The city isn't allowed to release $200 million in taxpayer funds to help build the new stadium until the process is complete.

The plan remains largely similar to a much criticized prior version. It includes an outline of project categories, but no guarantee of what projects will be funded. New elements include a three year timeline to disperse the revitalization funds and a new program manager position that will act as a liaison between the city and the neighborhoods.
http://wabe.org/post/committee-appro...alcons-stadium

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 3:25 PM

Atlanta, Arthur Blank prime contenders for Major League Soccer

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/m...ank-prime.html
Quote:
Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber said during his year-end state of the league address that Atlanta and Miami are in prime positions to grab expansion spots 22 and 23 for the rapidly-growing league.

Said Garber, “We are in discussions with potential ownership groups in Miami and Atlanta, who will give us some great rivalries in the Sun Belt to match those that we have in the Northeast, Midwest and Pacific Northwest. As I’ve said before, we hope to have 24 teams by the end of the decade. In order to do that, we need to expand strategically and we’ve got a big chunk of the country that is not covered. That’s the Southeast. We hope to be able to achieve that with Atlanta, with Orlando, and in Miami, but a lot of work to do in Atlanta and Miami.”

“With Atlanta, we have finalized the stadium situation there,” said Garber. “We’ve been working on a downsizing technology that we think would be unique. It would be the only one of its kind anywhere in the world. We’ve got to continue to work hard with Atlanta to see if this whole project makes sense for them, but I’m encouraged by the discussions and I hope we’ll be able to finalize something.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta