HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Wilshire Boulevard house. -looks like the street number is 4472....GW?

ebay
__

Yes--it's 4472, once between Fremont Place and Fremont Place West, which I have in the hopper for an upcoming Wilshire Boulevard house history. Dr. Nelson's shenanigans (including his work as an abortionist) are only part of the story--in 1931 the house was raided while in operation as a speakeasy, and then a woman was stabbed to death in the house's servants' quarters.... Not your usual genteel Wilshire Boulevard house.

A color shot of the front door:

wilshireboulevardhouses.blogspot.com

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Nov 13, 2013 at 5:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
LAPL has quite a few pictures showing the construction of the Cinerama Dome from different angles in black & white and color [...]. I came across them looking for pictures of the Vine Street Coffee Dan's a couple of weeks ago. Note the NBC building on the left.

lapl.org

Their notes put the date at 1963.
HossC, I love this color aerial (where's all the traffic?!) especially for the view of the NBC Building. I never really liked the Sunset Vine Tower, it seems so out of place. It's like that obelisk in the film "2001" - which, I believe, premiered in Los Angeles at the Cinerama Dome a few years after this photo was taken.

Can we identify any other buildings here? -- Across Vine from NBC is Wallich's Music City. Going east or toward the top of the photo from NBC is the Hollywood Palladium. And across the street (behind the Sunset Vine Tower in the photo) would be where the Earl Carroll Theater Nightclub was.
In this photo is there a building under construction, barely visible, directly across the street from the C. Dome?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu View Post
Will do, thanks! By the way - didn't see the photos you posted of the restoration in progress until after I initially replied yesterday. Looks great! Definitely gonna give the blog a read.

Oh, and here's where I originally found out a little bit about your place. I'm pretty sure you've already seen this, it's a book about Bungalow Heaven as a whole:

http://books.google.com/books?id=aDn...0house&f=false
Tetsu, thanks for your kind words. And re the Bungalow Heaven book, by a great coincidence my wife managed to dig that up just last night. While I of course appreciate the supportive words that author offers, I have to wonder why he did not simply approach us to get some more accurate information. Much of what he says is incorrect.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 5:29 AM

The Shadow Knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
My favorite line about Gary Cooper--supposedly uttered by Clara Bow--was that "He was hung like a horse and could go all night." Somewhere else I've read that he was actually a slam-bam type. As if anyone really knows.
In David Stenn's biography, Runnin' Wild, of Clara Bow:

Producer Budd Schulberg says, "Coop might have been the Babe Ruth of the Hollywood boudoir league. It was whispered down the studio corridors that he had the endowments of Hercules and the staying powers of Job."
page 91

His wife attested that "he had many girlfriends." "At the time, tales of the star who spoke softly but carried a big stick spread despite his gentlemanly silence."
page 91

About the line you quote: It was purportedly told to Hedda Hopper who had inquired about her affair with Cooper. "Accurate or apocryphal?" writes Stenn. He personally interviewed actresses Esther Ralston and Lina Basquette and Tui Lorraine Bow, a good friend of Clara's who had married Clara's father, though was younger than Clara, and they all concur on it's validity as "She said things like that all the time" and "She and Gary had a pretty hot affair and Clara talked about it a lot."
page 94

Clara Bow's IT CAFE on Vine Street at the Hollywood Plaza Hotel:

felixinhollywood

Matchbook:

Askville

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krell58 View Post
Sorry Otis but I missed a day or two looking at the forum here, I would have
put this up sooner [. . . ]
Thanks very much for smartening me up, Krell! I've been on Flickr for a while now, because of my blog, but I've never used it in this way before.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 6:33 AM

Re: Bungalow court on steroids

On the county assessor's website it's listed as two adjacent parcels, 470 and 480 S. Burlington Avenue, with nine and ten units respectively. The build date is 1921, leading me to wonder if it was originally intended as a tourist hotel of some kind. Presumably it wouldn't have been a motel because even in 1921 there probably wasn't much parking around here. I'm thinking tourists because after all, people are generally a lot more willing to put up with such congested quarters for a night or two than for an indefinite period. It's depressing to see that these are now apparently permanent residences.

After all, motor courts were very popular in the 1920s and 30s, e.g. the "walls of Jericho" scene in It Happened One Night.

Quote:
bungalow court on steroids

I'm unsure if this was built during the post-war housing shortage or decades earlier by a overly greedy developer.

S. Burlington Avenue and 5th Street

google_earth

-their basic shape makes me think of the wooden bungalows of the 1920s & 1930s.

GSV

I imagine the awful stucco was added much later (with a giant hose by the way they look )
__

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Hello oldstuff... interesting details about Charles Pinney. Any idea how he might have been related to Dr. Elbert Pinney, older by 47 years, also a Connecticut native and the builder of the well-known Pinney House in Sierra Madre? Elbert died in 1914 at age 90; while it's not exactly a rare name, the fathers of both Charles and Elbert were named Henry. More info on the Pinney House here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1851
I did find a family connection but it is many generations back. Elbert's 5x great grandfather is Charles Lee's 5x great grandfather, Humphrey Pinney, born in England in either 1598 or 1605. Humphrey was the one who came to America, in 1630. Some family genealogy websites note that Humphrey came to American on the ship "Mary and John" and that they arrived in Boston Harbor on May 30, 1630.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
There was a little more elbow room at Annetta Court, 5146 to 5154-1/2 Sunset Blvd.:

USC Digital Library -- http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si.../id/4264/rec/1
Impressive place Flyingwedge!
At first glance I thought this was just a dual walkway, but obviously it was intended for cars since it's connected to the street
(where the photographer is standing).
So what did they do with their cars once they drove in there? (or was only used when a tenant was moving in or out)
-just a thought mind you.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 13, 2013 at 5:58 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 5:53 PM

The Tower Auto Court

ebay

detail of the tower (is that a clock?)

address: -it looks like 10880 Ventura Blvd. -so shouldn't it say N. Hollywood?

-the court included a small gas station

I hope we can dig up some more information on this place.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 13, 2013 at 9:15 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Yes--it's 4472, once between Fremont Place and Fremont Place West, which I have in the hopper for an upcoming Wilshire Boulevard house history. Dr. Nelson's shenanigans (including his work as an abortionist) are only part of the story--in 1931 the house was raided while in operation as a speakeasy, and then a woman was stabbed to death in the house's servants' quarters.... Not your usual genteel Wilshire Boulevard house.
All that sounds extremely interesting to say the least GW!
abortions--speakeasy--murder. A noirish trifecta.
__

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Impressive place Flyingwedge!
At first glance I thought this was just a dual walkway, but obviously it was intended for cars since it's connected to the street in the foreground.
So what did they do with their cars once they drove in there? (or perhaps it was only used when a tenant was moving in or out)
-just a thought mind you.__
There are several apartment type places like this in West Hollywood that I've noticed walking around the area. None of them have the spacious front lawn area this one does. The facing apartments are about a car length apart, plus a little.

One person I know that lives in a similar place like this one drives his car through the middle of the apartments, like this, and on the opposite end, through an archway, which it appears there's one in this photo, there is a garage area for the tenants to park. I admit that when I visited several times I didn't know this "was" a driveway until I saw a car drive by one day looking out his window. It is aesthetically pleasing as when you're there you don't think of it as a driveway. It's also a bit jarring when you do see a car driving in it. Many of the places I've seen like this are up a bit of a hill to the entrance off the street and the driveway part to the street has concrete steps in the middle for people to climb up to the apartment area.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 6:17 PM

Here's three more of the 1963 color shots of Cinerama under construction. It's a shame they're not zoomable like the USC pictures.

lapl.org

lapl.org

lapl.org

There are also 4 color shots from 1965. This one shows the sad, empty lot where the NBC building once stood.

lapl.org

Martin Pal, the building under construction directly across the street from Cinerama is the RCA Building. GW posted a good period picture of it almost exactly three years ago:

See the rest of GW's Cinerama post here.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Here's a unique looking place that we haven't seen on noirish yet.

The Tower Auto Court

I hope we can dig up some more information on this place.
__
That address, I believe, would be between Lankershim and Vineland, so Studio City, maybe Universal City...I don't know when they got their names.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Here's three more of the 1963 color shots of Cinerama under construction. It's a shame they're not zoomable like the USC pictures.
Thanks for posting those ineresting photos! There's even a gasometer in one of them. I'm still amazed that there wasn't at least a little more traffic on those streets!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
One person I know that lives in a similar place like this one drives his car through the middle of the apartments, like this, and on the opposite end, through an archway, which it appears there's one in this photo, there is a garage area for the tenants to park. I admit that when I visited several times I didn't know this "was" a driveway until I saw a car drive by one day looking out his window. It is aesthetically pleasing as when you're there you don't think of it as a driveway. It's also a bit jarring when you do see a car driving in it. Many of the places I've seen like this are up a bit of a hill to the entrance off the street and the driveway part to the street has concrete steps in the middle for people to climb up to the apartment area.
Thanks for answering my question Martin. -much appreciated.
I checked the vintage aerial that Flyingwedge posted and didn't see any parking areas or garages. I'll go back and take another look.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 13, 2013 at 9:17 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Here's a unique looking place that we haven't seen on noirish yet.

The Tower Auto Court

GSV

It was at 10980 Ventura, just east of the southeast corner of Vineland. It was later called the Tower Motor Hotel. There is still a filling station on the corner. Looks like a Mr. and Mrs. Donovan were the hosts.

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Nov 13, 2013 at 9:31 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 9:29 PM

I decided to take a closer look at Annetta Court.

originally posted by Flyingwedge

It looks like there is a flagpole-like structure in the middle of the 'drive'. (as well as a group of people discussing the situation)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 13, 2013 at 11:51 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 9:50 PM

circa 1945

ebay

map courtesy of Santa Fe Bus Lines and the Glass House restaurant/1945

ebay
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 14, 2013 at 3:30 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 9:57 PM
BANNED

Cinerama lobby...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
HossC, I love this color aerial (where's all the traffic?!) especially for the view of the NBC Building. I never really liked the Sunset Vine Tower, it seems so out of place. It's like that obelisk in the film "2001" - which, I believe, premiered in Los Angeles at the Cinerama Dome a few years after this photo was taken.

Can we identify any other buildings here? -- Across Vine from NBC is Wallich's Music City. Going east or toward the top of the photo from NBC is the Hollywood Palladium. And across the street (behind the Sunset Vine Tower in the photo) would be where the Earl Carroll Theater Nightclub was.
In this photo is there a building under construction, barely visible, directly across the street from the C. Dome?
Cinerama lobby...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
http://memoriastoica.tumblr.com/

This great station once stood on the site of strip-mall at the southwest corner of Washington and 8th... apparently the "Specification Motoroil System" was a national chain. I wondered if we've seen this building here before, but nothing comes up using the seriously lame search function... anyway, the curious grid looks a little familiar--is it some sort of motor-oil automat?

LAPL

Not sure how long it lasted as a Specification station--no listing for that name in the '32 and later CDs. Maybe it was taken over by another oil company.

LAT Aug 3, 1930

PS Can't quite figure out what's going on with the trees at right in the top picture... looks like they're on a hill to the west, but there is no hill there now....

Early attempt to capitalize on "special" motor oil requirements of each car?

Compartments are marked with various car makes/models, suggesting each tap contains car-specific "specially formulated" lubricant. Wonder whether each maker was consulted, let alone approved, of each blend. This might explain why some oils are mysterious, e.g., "Marvel." This might also explain why the business was not long-lasting.

Suspect the tower structure was nothing more than an office and showroom. Expect the spigots were purely decorative. Service was more likely performed in one of the service bays in the background. Selling/dispensing oil would prove messy, if not tedious, given the pictured turnabout. But maybe the "system" was more about service rather than volume.

The report concerning the 10-year lease price seems suspect, unless the spigots were for dispensing a "different" type of lubricant frowned upon by the temperance movement or the property contained producing wells.

Ask for the complementary air freshener.

http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...TJKYI7KUL3.jpg

http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...M6FT5522K7.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_i_AovfzNXg...el-498x720.jpg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos