HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interzen View Post
I just drove through Glenwood Springs about 5 hours ago and the tracks are still there and fully operational. Actually there was little rain west of the divide.
I am more worried/wondering about the 'tunnels' section from Arvada to Moffat. Particularly that narrow section in a canyon where it parallels South Boulder Creek above Gross reservoir.

If the entire tunnels section survived without any damage (rock slides, mud slides,wash outs, etc.) it would be a minor miracle.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 5:03 PM

^^ That makes sense. I had just returned to Denver after 2 days away from media sources and had no understanding of just how major and wide spread the damage was. I just checked the Amtrak site and there are no cancellations so I think your miracle happened.

Edit: I take that back. I just checked on today's train and got this:
Information Unavailable: Sorry, due to a service disruption, we are unable to provide estimated departure and arrival times. For additional assistance, please contact us at 1-800-USA-RAIL

Update: Looks like you called it.

From The Post:

"The passenger train uses the Union Pacific rail line that is washed out in several spots between Denver and Crescent in Boulder County."

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...ice?source=rss

Last edited by Interzen; Sep 17, 2013 at 12:47 AM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 5:43 AM

Trivia question time: Why do local RTD routes on 15th and 17th use "X, Y, Z" nomenclature for skip-stop operations (why those specific letters)?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 1:05 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
I'd love to hear an example of this Shangri-La where the monied interests and government play well and do good works together.
How about craning your head slightly westward to what RTD and P3 are doing. Not that the person you're asking would agree.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 1:07 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Hold the phones guys.

VelociRFTA BRT is open.

Who knew? And more importantly, who is going to go out there and take pictures so I can see it?
I seriously can't imagine any downside at all to advertising that your system is a dinosaur.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interzen View Post
Update: Looks like you called it.

From The Post:

"The passenger train uses the Union Pacific rail line that is washed out in several spots between Denver and Crescent in Boulder County."

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...ice?source=rss
Those washouts start even lower than I thought they would (between tunnel 2 and 3), that is not a good sign. But based on what happened to 72 and 119 I guess it's not that surprising.

This is going to be a massive road, rail, and even trail rebuilding effort.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 6:32 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
I'm really curious about ridership on this one. It's pretty cheap, 10 bucks to get from Rifle to Aspen.. If you stop in Glenwood it's only 7. One day I'll have to take an adventure and ride this..
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 6:45 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
One day I'll have to take an adventure and ride this..
Before Halloween.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 6:53 PM

I went looking on flickr to see if there are any pictures, to no avail. I did find this sort of interesting one of an articulated bus in Boulder, apparently there as some sort of demo in the summer of 2012.

photo from Doug Grinbergs on flickr

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 10:36 PM

Cirrus, that was the VIA San Antonio Primo BRT bus demo that NABI routed through the region. I went to Longmont to see it when it was here, and it is a very nice bus inside.

Just going off that one picture, VIA's livery looks like it would naturally belong in Boulder.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 11:21 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Before Halloween.
I'm not sure Ryan remembers which direction the mountains are from downtown. And you expect him to get to Glenwood by Halloween? Eek.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 2:08 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
I'm not sure Ryan remembers which direction the mountains are from downtown. And you expect him to get to Glenwood by Halloween? Eek.
Ouch Charlie... You're assuming I haven't touched the mountains in ages.. Psh.. I feel horrible I haven't been up there as much as I would like to this year (I've touched the mountains 8ish times this year), but then again, I need a more reliable automobile which I'm seriously hoping to invest in next year. Yes Denver forumers, I will be buying a new car once I have the means. Shock.. I know.

Speaking of cars.. NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER get a parking ticket when using Car2Go.. Pardon my French but.. FUCK!

Quote:
Hello Ryan Dravitz,

It came to our attention that one of you recent rentals (Rental ID # 14700032 ) acquired a citation due to it being parked in a prohibited area (please see the attached PDF for the citation).

We have found this citation to be valid and, as per the terms and agreements of car2go, will be assessing the original fine amount (not the late charge, regardless of date) against the credit card we have on file for your account.

Please ensure that when you are parking one of our vehicles, to park it in a legal spot. Parking tickets will result in the member whose improper ending of the rental resulted in the violation, being charged “Total Fine Amount” ($50)of the citation along with a processing fee of $25 (before taxes).
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Last edited by RyanD; Sep 18, 2013 at 3:12 AM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 3:15 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

$76 is about what you would've needed to take your Car2Go to Glenwood Springs!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 4:08 AM

Weekend trips out of town are what the Enterprise $30 weekend special is for.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 5:00 PM

Well guys and gals the trains are running through Castle Rock again but not the 55 to 70 a day that normally run through. There is an article in todays Post of the delays and work that's being done on the BNSF, and UP. I'm sure that the local short lines are affected (the Denver Terminal and Omni Tracks) also. Anyway heres the Post article:
Amtrak, freight trains in flood zones likely out through month

By Alison Noon
The Denver Post

Posted: 09/18/2013 06:19:04 PM MDT2 comments

Updated: 09/19/2013 08:31:37 AM MDT

1/5

LONGMONT, CO - September 18 : Weston Marlatt removes debris from his friend Dan Williams' garage that was damaged by flooding water in Longmont, Colorado. September 18, 2013. (Photo by Hyoung Chang/The Denver Post)

LONGMONT, CO - September 18 : Weston Marlatt removes debris from his friend Dan Williams' garage that was damaged by flooding water in Longmont, Colorado. September 18, 2013. (Photo by Hyoung Chang/The Denver Post)

BOULDER, CO - September 18 : From left, Jamestown evacuees Jan Reed, Ben Perry and Javayne Jenkins comfort each other at Boulder County Commissioners building during a meeting for evacuated Jamestown residents. Boulder, Colorado. September 18, 2013. (Photo by Hyoung Chang/The Denver Post)

BOULDER, CO - September 18 : Mayor Tara Schoedinger speaks during a meeting of Jamestown evacuees at the Boulder County Commissioners building in Boulder, Colorado. September 18, 2013. (Photo by Hyoung Chang/The Denver Post)

LYONS, CO. - SEPTEMBER 18: (l-r) A woman takes in the view from the banks of the North St. Vrain River in was washed away by flooding in Lyons, CO September 18, 2013. Business owners were allowed to return to town today and residents will be allowed to their homes tomorrow. As emergency personnel methodically make their way from door-to-door of flooded and damaged homes this week, the number of unaccounted-for Coloradans is dropping. The number in Boulder County has fallen to four. (Photo By Craig F. Walker / The Denver Post)

BOULDER, CO - SEPTEMBER 18: Boulder resident, Mark Taylor, helps neighbors unload belongings that were destroyed in the flood at a dump in Boulder, September 18, 2013. Residents start to clean up after a massive flood hit the area. (Photo By RJ Sangosti/The Denver Post)

‹›

Sep 19:
•Colorado Springs flood victim who struggled in life mourned by family in Texas
•Flood victim in Colorado Springs identified
•South Platte River still rising in Western Neb.
•Moving mountains of Colorado flood debris the crux of recovery
•Colorado floods: Millions in aid will barely begin to fix roads, dams
•Flooding brings fear and devastation to Colorado immigrants
Sep 18:
•Flooded out Jamestown residents may wait a year for a good road home

Freight and passenger trains will be diverted across Colorado at least through the end of the month to avoid submerged and gaping stretches of railroad tracks left by floods.

One 20-mile span of eroded tracks in Jefferson County halted Amtrak's signature train service last Wednesday at the cusp of Union Pacific's scenic Moffat line, which takes travelers to and from California through Colorado's mountains.

Amtrak is busing riders more than 240 miles between Denver and Grand Junction through Oct. 1 on Interstate 70, a far cry from the California Zephyr's secluded railroad tracks that were washed out last Wednesday.

Spencer Jessee, an Amtrak conductor based in Denver, drove north of Coal Creek Canyon with a friend on

A fiber optics subcontractor crew walks underneath a section of Union Pacific railroad track, close to a large platform that washed out near Eldorado Springs. The freight train company is hauling rocks from Cheyenne into Colorado to fill gaps and shore up tracks. (Andy Cross, The Denver Post)
Saturday, his day off, to see first-hand the destroyed tracks he'd been hearing about at work.

"We found those tracks between Tunnel 2 and Tunnel 3 just dangling above the torrent," Jessee said. Rocks, dirt and the whole ballast underneath the century-old tracks, he said, had been washed away.

Cavernous trenches 10-70 feet deep along and underneath train tracks such as those Jessee saw will keep the line closed while repairs are underway, Union Pacific spokesman Mark Davis said. He said he was confident the route would re-open in two weeks.

"Moffat's just literally a matter of getting the rock and filling up the gaps in the holes," Davis said.

The freight company's Greeley Subdivision, a line that runs from Denver up to Cheyenne, re-opened Wednesday, expediting Wyoming rocks to Colorado for repairs.

"We're lucky that that's fairly close by so we can get the size of rock we need," Davis said. "All resources are going to be stretched pretty thin on the local level."

With the Greeley Subdivision open, 38 trains on Union Pacific lines are diverted from their destinations in Colorado every day. Two of those are Amtrak passenger trains.

Three other lines owned by Union Pacific and BNSF Railway are submerged in varying locations from the Western Slope to the plains.

"We can't see some of our track because it's under water," BNSF Railway spokesman Andy Williams said.

Amtrak's motorcoaches are packed to the brim with 55 people each and travel four buses to a trip, yet complete the drive in four hours one way, Jessee said. That's half the time it takes a train to travel through the mountains, he said, but people don't ride the train for it's speed.

"What's really the bummer is the folks who come out here to see the Rockies and because of the train restructuring they don't get to do that," Jessee said.

He helped transfer luggage between buses and trains in Denver Tuesday and Wednesday, and said passengers were understanding.

"Mostly it's just an inconvenience," Jessee said.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 5:05 PM

^ Hey btw if you would like to see some more info and a cool video of a helicopter fly over of south Longmont and the flooded St Vrain river check out this link:
http://www.corailroads.com/

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 2:04 AM

Does anyone subscribe to the RTD Newsletter? Here is today's info:

September 24, 2013
Welcome

The Regional Transportation District (RTD) continues to make progress on the North Metro Rail Line. On Monday, September 23, four proposals were received from contractors who are prepared to design and build the rail line. Evaluation of the proposals will begin immediately and a final recommendation will be presented to the RTD Board in November. Read about more on our website.

Prep work is underway near the 72nd Avenue station, work on the commuter rail maintenance facility continues and RTD continues to work with local communities and governments to address questions and concerns as we stride toward the build out of the North Metro Rail Line. Stay abreast of the latest information by visiting the North Metro section of the FasTracks website and subscribing to our e-newsletter. While on the website, use the tools we’ve established to keep you updated on progress and impacts.

Please note that we’ll send you our next e-newsletter in November and will begin our monthly e-newsletter distribution in January.

Latest News

Prep work begins on the North Metro Rail Line

Bambei-Walker ConstructionConstruction on the North Metro Rail Line is scheduled to start next year, but RTD and Denver Water are partnering on some early construction work at an Adams County reservoir that will save time and money on the project.

The Bambei-Walker Reservoir currently is empty for routine maintenance, which provides RTD an opportunity to fill in small sections of the reservoir’s edge in preparation for the railway’s build out. The reservoir is located southwest of what will eventually be the 72nd Avenue Station.

RTD will be able to save money in the long run by implementing early mitigation work while the reservoir is empty, rather than having to pay to have it drained in the future. The situation also gives RTD the opportunity to prepare the area months ahead of schedule and the resulting cost and time savings will free up funds that will be better spent on other segments of the North Metro Rail Line.

“This is a great example of how RTD looks for ways to be as efficient as possible with our resources and time,” says North Metro Rail Line Project Manager Jim Starling. “Because of a long-standing partnership with Denver Water, we were able to move quickly to take advantage of this money and time-saving opportunity.”

For now, it is unknown how long the reservoir will remain empty due to current weather conditions in Colorado, so time is of the essence, Starling said.

RTD contractor Gilmore Construction has started filling in the edge around the reservoir and the project is expected to last through the end of September.

Commuter Rail Maintenance Facility taking shape

Commuter Rail Maintenance FacilityConstruction of RTD’s commuter rail maintenance facility (CRMF), located at 5151 Fox St., continues to make major progress. In 2012, the RTD Board approved the expansion of the CRMF as well as the purchase of six additional rail cars to serve the North Metro Rail Line. Denver Transit Partners, the Eagle P3 contractor, is building the 230,000-square-foot facility, which is scheduled to be complete late next year.

The CRMF will serve as the commuter rail operations and control center for the East Rail Line to Denver International Airport, the Gold Line to Arvada and the first leg of the Northwest Rail Line to Westminster. All three projects are scheduled to open in 2016. Once completed, the CRMF will be RTD’s largest rail maintenance facility, and encompass a 30-acre rail yard.

Once completed, the CRMF will be LEED-certified, meeting the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design construction standards. A 240-person team will maintain, clean and repair trains at the site, which will be able to accommodate up to 80 commuter rail cars. Watch a slide show of photos taken at the CRMF construction site.

Question of the month

We welcome input regarding the project. In an effort to keep all of our constituents informed, we are introducing the “question of the month” to address common questions and concerns we are asked to answer frequently. Should you have a question, concern or comment, please submit it to us by going to our website.

Question: How loud will the train be and will there be sound walls between the tracks and my house?

Answer: The commuter rail trains planned for the North Metro Rail Line are much quieter than the freight trains you may be more accustomed to seeing. The electric commuter rail cars are powered by overhead electricity and runs on continuously welded rail, eliminating the clickety-clack sometimes associated with railroads. In addition, RTD will work with local jurisdictions to apply for Public Utilities Commission “quiet zones.” This means that the trains won’t blow their horns as they travel through intersections, which greatly reduces noise. There have been three separate noise analyses done to date. The first one assumed there were two tracks (double track) throughout the entire corridor and the train was diesel powered; the second study was completed when the train type changed from diesel to electric; and the third study was done when the double track changed to some single track sections. The results determine where RTD will place sound walls. Sound walls will be 8 feet above the top of the track and placed as closely to the track as possible.

Questions? Comments? Concerns?

The North Metro Rail Line public information team is committed answering questions, addressing comments and mitigating concerns. Contact us.

How to stay up to date and involved

One of the best ways to get the latest information about the North Metro Rail Line is to ensure we have your email address. Our e-newsletters will keep you up to date with project information, upcoming community meetings and events and general information about the FasTracks program. As we move into final design and construction, our newsletters will keep you informed about design details, construction progress and where construction may be affecting you. We want to ensure that our information reaches the entire corridor. Please encourage your colleagues, friends and neighbors to sign up to receive our periodic emails and monthly newsletters. Visit our website to sign up.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 3:54 PM

^ Here is some info I got off of Progressive Railroad dot com:
Rail News: Passenger Rail
Denver RTD to evaluate four proposals to build North Metro line

The Regional Transportation District of Denver (RTD) on Monday received proposals from four design-build teams for the North Metro project that eventually will extend commuter-rail service north from Denver.

The four teams are a Bechtel/Herzog joint venture; Graham, Balfour Beatty Hamon Contractors; North Metro Transit Solutions, a Kiewit/Stacy and Witbeck joint venture; and URS Energy and Construction Inc., RTD officials said in a press release.

The teams responded to a request for proposals issued on June 28. Graham Consulting Ltd. approached RTD in February with an unsolicited proposal. After reviewing it, RTD staff determined it met the agency's policy for unsolicited proposals and was worth moving forward to a competitive procurement process, they said.

A committee will evaluate the design-build proposals, then recommend the most qualified bidder to RTD's board at a Nov. 5 meeting of the FasTracks Monitoring Committee. The board is scheduled to act on the contract award at its Nov. 26 regular board meeting.

"Our goal through this proposal process is to not only build the entire North Metro Line, but to determine if there are other parts of the program that can be built at this time," said RTD General Manager Phil Washington. "RTD remains committed to completing the entire FasTracks program as quickly as we can."

The North Metro project involves the construction of an 18.5-mile commuter-rail line from Denver Union Station through Denver, Adams County, Commerce City, Thornton and Northglenn, ending at Highway 7. Design and construction of the line is scheduled to begin next year.

The FasTracks program calls for building 122 miles of commuter- and light-rail lines, and 18 miles of bus rapid transit service, and redeveloping Denver Union Station.

Scott Martinez

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 10:20 PM

The Downtown Circulator has a name. And it sounds awfully familiar!

Hm... Where have we seen that before?

Credit has to go to PLANSIT.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 10:30 PM
ColoRADo

Haha. I forgot I even came up with that. Though, it was not for the downtown circulator, it was for the 15 minute Rapid service.

Funny thing is, I hate the name MetroRide for the circulator. In fact, I actually prefer, Downtown Circulator! It at least describes the service.

I do really like the livery though! Like those colors a lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West