HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 9:55 PM

Some new renderings. This is right next to the MLS stadium.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190...r-stadium-site

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 9:56 PM

Damn, I just posted this under McKalla. Forgot this had its own thread

EDIT: ABJ coverage: https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...near-site.html

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 9:59 PM

It got a new name and gained a floor. The height listed in the thread title is what we had for the 18 floor version.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
It got a new name and gained a floor. The height listed in the thread title is what we had for the 18 floor version.
I think it gained a floor underground (the ABJ story now says 3 stories of underground parking).

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 12:09 AM
Meh

Not a fan of this one. It reminds me of the headquarters of some government agency. It's not horrible, but it could totally pass for 60s style architecture that had been remodeled to look modern.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 1:07 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Not a fan of this one. It reminds me of the headquarters of some government agency. It's not horrible, but it could totally pass for 60s style architecture that had been remodeled to look modern.
To me that is a positive, because at least it adds faux historicism to the area.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 1:15 AM

Reminds me of something that would go up in the suburbs of Houston or Dallas. I like it nonetheless.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 2:38 AM
Austinite

Any chance the garage could be made available during games? Being an office building with primarily daytime occupants, it might jive well with the night/weekend games.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 2:39 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Any chance the garage could be made available during games? Being an office building with primarily daytime occupants, it might jive well with the night/weekend games.
Safe bet.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 4:43 AM
Austinite

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I think it gained a floor underground (the ABJ story now says 3 stories of underground parking).
It looks to have gained one parking level below ground and one above ground. Most likely for MLS. Info in one of Mopacs links has it as:

Underground parking levels: 3
Above ground parking: 9
Office levels: 10

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 1:56 AM

So much parking. But that's the reality of this part of town. It reminds me of the Houston Galleria.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 2:30 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
So much parking. But that's the reality of this part of town. It reminds me of the Houston Galleria.
NOT a good thing. That part of Houston has horrible traffic and a lot of people avoid it.

The Domain should avoid being anything like that.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
NOT a good thing. That part of Houston has horrible traffic and a lot of people avoid it.

The Domain should avoid being anything like that.
Nobody goes there anymore. It is too crowded. (Paraphrasing Yogi Berra)

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 4:57 PM

I went looking into the permits for 10615 Burnet, and there's the (presumably old) version of the site plan. So far it's Rejected by quite a few reviewers.

Among many other things, they don't like the fact that the entrance doesn't face the primary roadway (Burnet). Apparently that's a requirement of the NBG urban design.

I find this project interesting because it's really the first big one where we can see how the NBG zoning will be applied and what we end up with (especially for a design making use of a lot of bonuses). Remember, the Domain proper isn't NBG, and both the successes and shortcomings of the first part of the domain helped inform the development of NBG.

also: "As per section 4.4.2.B parking may not exceed 100% of that which is required under Appendix A
under the LDC and may go up to 110% if additional requirements are met. Your site plan shows 163% of
required parking. This is not allowed under the code and must be revised."

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 6:05 PM

What's NBG zoning, for us non-zoning types?

FWIW, this seems a place where excessive parking might actually make some sense. Regardless of the future connectivity of McKalla, there's no way around the fact that a lot of folks are going to want to/have to drive to the stadium. Parking is still necessary infrastructure for a 20k seat venue.

EDIT: Precourt at one point was proposing approx 1000 onsite parking spaces for the McKalla site iteslf . . . which strikes me as not enough, but I also admit to not being an expert on parking ratios.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
What's NBG zoning, for us non-zoning types?
North Burnet Gateway

The very short version: the (more) urban zoning for the area along Burnet north of 183, as well as the "Gateway" area between Mopac and 183 south of Braker (including the "West Pickle" tract/former MCC).

The long version: http://www.austintexas.gov/page/north-burnetgateway

Quote:
FWIW, this seems a place where excessive parking might actually make some sense.
Except there's already excessive parking in the area, and much more to come.

If they do 100/110% for this site, that's probably thousands of spaces that will be mostly unused during game times (and potentially available for leasing).
Domain Tower I has by itself I think ~5k. Much less II, III, ....

and even for those driving to the game, it's not like everyone will or should be driving single occupancy. You want to encourage some level of carpooling. If you get ~4 /vehicle, you're down to needing only about 4k spaces off-site. Minus whatever transit use you can encourage.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post

Except there's already excessive parking in the area, and much more to come.

If they do 100/110% for this site, that's probably thousands of spaces that will be mostly unused during game times (and potentially available for leasing).
Domain Tower I has by itself I think ~5k. Much less II, III, ....

and even for those driving to the game, it's not like everyone will or should be driving single occupancy. You want to encourage some level of carpooling. If you get ~4 /vehicle, you're down to needing only about 4k spaces off-site. Minus whatever transit use you can encourage.
Even if you get carpooling up to that level along with transit -- which at this point has to be a 5 year stretch goal, rather than a baseline assumption -- you still need 4k spots. McKalla proper only gets you 1k. You still need 3k, which could be here at Arena Towers plus whatever else is available two blocks and a dangerous intersection away at Domain.

The proximity here just seems to make sense, though I do agree that offseason usage will likely be terrible.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Even if you get carpooling up to that level along with transit -- which at this point has to be a 5 year stretch goal, rather than a baseline assumption
It's super easy for a sporting event. You just don't give out 20k parking passes.

Quote:
-- you still need 4k spots. McKalla proper only gets you 1k. You still need 3k, which could be here at Arena Towers plus whatever else is available two blocks and a dangerous intersection away at Domain.
Dangerous intersection? It's a controlled intersection, with pedestrian signals. Clear sight lines. Lighting.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 9:16 PM

Quote:

EDIT: Precourt at one point was proposing approx 1000 onsite parking spaces for the McKalla site iteslf . . . which strikes me as not enough, but I also admit to not being an expert on parking ratios.
Here is a pretty good explanation of how they calculate parking for a stadium. This is football, not soccer, but it gives you an idea.

Quote:
At Baylor, 120 acres are devoted to the stadium and other athletics venues across the Brazos River from campus, with the 45,000-seat football stadium consuming 13 acres of the site. As a general rule of thumb, between three and four people are expected to occupy every car coming to a spectator sports venue. “It would be great if you could say, ‘Okay, if we divide 45,000 seats by 3.5 for vehicle occupancy, we’re at about 13,000,’ ” Elmer says. “That said, you may not have the site area to accommodate 13,000 parking spaces, so you have to work with the ownership, and work with the municipalities in which the stadium, ballpark or arena is sited to determine how you’re going to get patrons to the venue.”

Baylor’s stadium will be fed by a new $10 million pedestrian bridge. “Whether it be foot traffic or bicycle or moped, we anticipate that bridge will deliver about 5,600 people from campus on a game day,” says Elmer, adding that shuttle ridership will bring the number of patrons arriving by vehicle down further to approximately 37,000, which in turn lowers the parking space requirement to roughly 10,600. “Well, our site won’t even fit that in terms of surface parking. And the budget for the project wasn’t large enough to accommodate structured parking.”

According to Elmer, the typical surface lot parking space (eight or nine feet wide by 18 to 20 feet deep) costs $3,000 to construct (a figure that varies based on market conditions and region of the country). By comparison, a single space in a parking structure costs $30,000. One acre of surface lot can accommodate 100 cars, with at least two points of ingress/egress. “The more ingress and egress points you have, the more efficient your circulation is going to be for arrival and then leaving that parking lot,” Elmer says. “That said, you can have too many, and then you don’t have a clear order. If you have one surface parking lot, you need at least two points of ingress/egress, as long as they’re clearly delineated.”

Compensating for Baylor’s anticipated onsite parking shortfall will be lots around campus and in downtown Waco, Texas. “You now have to figure out how people who park downtown are going to get to the stadium,” Elmer says. “So we’ve developed a river walk network that runs adjacent to the river and connects to downtown. People can park downtown and walk 15 to 20 minutes along the river, which is a pretty pleasant pedestrian experience. Or they can park on campus and they can walk across the new pedestrian bridge that was part of the project.”
https://www.athleticbusiness.com/mor...or-venues.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin