HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 4:37 AM

oh damn... those walls often had some of the best murals in town.. i have photographed them while at yellow jacket mant times,,,

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
Anybody know what's going in at the old El Lago tortilla factory across from the Yellow Jacket (old Cafe Mundi). It's a huge site with great downtown views. There's a Big Red Dog sign on the fence but I haven't heard anything about what might be built there.

This is what it used to look like.

oh dear....Not to be a NIMBY, but that kinda sucks. I'm sure it's gonna be a great project, but that art! The grit! To people who know nothing about urbanism it just says: "CONDOS GOING UP WHERE BEAUTIFUL SOULFUL STREET ART USED TO BE - RIP ATX". I get it, I know... no need to burn me at the stake, but this one just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 5:16 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I really wish the city would impose a requirement to save or incorporate preexisting locally important artwork.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 6:02 AM

Facade going up on the Pointe on Rio

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 3:24 PM

Hmmmm? MACC strikes again. Somebody needs to let these folks know that enough is enough.

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local...macc/15810613/

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Hmmmm? MACC strikes again. Somebody needs to let these folks know that enough is enough.

It's too bad nobody protested the MACC building before it was built. Think of all the green space by the river that could have been saved.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Sep 19, 2014 at 1:50 AM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post

Sounds like it's time to write the council

I was hoping the downtown commission would turn it down based on their moronic argument that building things there would block downtown views but

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
oh dear....Not to be a NIMBY, but that kinda sucks. I'm sure it's gonna be a great project, but that art! The grit! To people who know nothing about urbanism it just says: "CONDOS GOING UP WHERE BEAUTIFUL SOULFUL STREET ART USED TO BE - RIP ATX". I get it, I know... no need to burn me at the stake, but this one just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Actually I think your expression is appropriate. I think what you reflect more on is how there has only ever been a single context of "NIMBY" on this forum.

We need an alternative word that does speak to preserving the quality that has made Austin the desirable destination it has become, and how to balance growth with moving that depth of texture and soul forward.
And before I get slayed. ( or slay away....... by all means)
This is the less sensationalist and more useful conversation.
Note I said balance growth .... not oppose growth.
We are facing a situation where the cool is getting mowed under.
I just came back from Atlanta where this has been happening for years.
It's sad. The character is disappearing.

Growth for the sake of growth is just a generic existance.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 5:29 PM

The building where I Luv Video occupies is for sell. That means the building may either be demolished or remain but have new tenants. Anyway, I spoke to one of the guys at I Luv Video and he says most likely they will close permanently. If that happens we'll see more of that street art disappear as well.

I dont mind seeing the art being replaced over better development but it would be nice if some of the new development allowed artists to continue their art on the new buildings. I think that's the major difference with Austin and older cities. They've had highrise much longer that over time w see art being painted over them. Eventually I think we will see the same in Austin. It will just take some time maybe.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 5:36 PM

Austin doesn't have a lot of urban grit which is appealing to a lot of people. When I have friends/family from out of town visiting I usually take them to the Baylor Art Wall, and they love it. I would hate to see that disappear.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 5:51 PM

I'm glad we're discussing this here. I think we can all agree that having a smart, dense, attractive project must also respect the original surroundings to a certain degree. I realize an art wall on an abandoned warehouse doesn't exactly generate money or address housing issues, but it is what differentiates us from other cities. This is a big can or worms, and I know some may get pressed over it...but there is NOTHING attractive about being just another downtown USA kind of city.

Migol, that's terrible news about I luv....I hope they stay put. Also, well said Michael

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 7:49 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

It's a shame they can't just preserve the art or even have people buy the wall sections to move to another location. If they can move whole houses surely the can cut out a piece of intact wall and move it. The developer could have incorporated the art into the new structure.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 1:44 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Some developer should incorporate a public art wall in their project. Have a blank wall that folks can paint like the Baylor one.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Some developer should incorporate a public art wall in their project. Have a blank wall that folks can paint like the Baylor one.
and even Baylor will become condos from what I hear. That stalled project (I forget the name) has life again.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 4:25 AM
Meh

Philly is king when it comes to great public graffiti art even on buildings. Two of the forum's best photogs show it well in their photo threads - volguus zildrohar and giovanni sasso - just search their threads.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
The building where I Luv Video occupies is for sell. That means the building may either be demolished or remain but have new tenants. Anyway, I spoke to one of the guys at I Luv Video and he says most likely they will close permanently. If that happens we'll see more of that street art disappear as well.
Man, that really sucks about I Luv Video. That was my fear when Vulcan took over the old Hog Wild space on North Loop. I didn't think the neighborhood could support two independent video rental stores in today's RedBox, NetFlix and online streaming world. I'm really gonna miss I luv Video, they have turned me on to many films I never would have heard of otherwise.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 3:11 AM

Hey guy, Idk how many of you all saw but the IBC Tower was lit up last night. The back side had purple led light in the mid section of the building beaming up to the top. Also the back garage part had some type of lighting design, it looked pretty cool.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
Man, that really sucks about I Luv Video. That was my fear when Vulcan took over the old Hog Wild space on North Loop. I didn't think the neighborhood could support two independent video rental stores in today's RedBox, NetFlix and online streaming world. I'm really gonna miss I luv Video, they have turned me on to many films I never would have heard of otherwise.
That's a bummer, I used to rent video's and dvd's from them. They had a great selection of foreign films as well.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 6:21 PM

On the bright side, the I Luv Video on Airport is doing very well. Also a friend of mine works at Vulcan and that place is doing very well. The only reason they moved from 29th street was for very practical reasons (bad plumbing).

I personally think only reason I Luv Vid will close is cause the student market isn't quite the right one for films. The Dobie only shut down cos student don't like arthouse cinema. Vulcan and I Luv Video market to true film lovers. College kids just want a quick fix. Fast food, Starbucks, top 100 hits, tent films, etc.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 6:53 PM

That's great news about I Luv Video on Airport, that's the one I go to. I had assumed that was the one you said would be closing, I sometimes forget about the second location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin