HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 8:21 PM
Meh

FAA permit for tower crane for the Texas Banker's Association Building at 203 West 10th Street.

225 feet (crane height)

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...72662097&row=1

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 6:45 AM

Two 5-story midrises to replace Kung Fu Defence & Fitness at 315 Pressler.

See page 15.

https://issuu.com/vlkarchitects/docs...nrp_group_03-0

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 6:50 PM

Turning dirt for the UrbanEast project on Riverside. Also another project across the street from it is also underway.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post

See page 15.

Great find. Have had my eye on those parcels for quite awhile.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 8:23 PM
World Traveler

Are there any updates to the plan to connect Pressler to Cesar Chavez? The plans on Pg 15 of the doc that Urbannizer shared show it stopping at the end of those two parcels but leaving open the future connection. I know it's been discussed a few times but can't remember where it stands now.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Are there any updates to the plan to connect Pressler to Cesar Chavez? The plans on Pg 15 of the doc that Urbannizer shared show it stopping at the end of those two parcels but leaving open the future connection. I know it's been discussed a few times but can't remember where it stands now.
No, the city cancelled the plans after parents at Austin High complained. There plans for a quiet zone crossing of the tracks at Pressler, though.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 9:54 PM

Quote:

See page 15.

There were some good warehouse parties in that building before Covid. Hope they continue on somewhere else nearby!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 3:04 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
No, the city cancelled the plans after parents at Austin High complained. There plans for a quiet zone crossing of the tracks at Pressler, though.
Were the complaints related to increased traffic or something? I can't see a good reason to not have greater connectivity, especially near a school.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 6:46 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Were the complaints related to increased traffic or something? I can't see a good reason to not have greater connectivity, especially near a school.
Im not really sure what that connection would gain. Pressler isn't a large enough road (1 lane, 1 way) to be a major thoroughfare, but would wind up being used aggressively during rush hour to try and avoid the CC/Lamar and Lamar 5th/6th intersections.

I would be all for a bike/pedestrian connection there, but I really don't know that another traffic light on that portion of CC which basically operates as a freeway on-ramp would do much to help the walkability of West 5th/West 6th as it would likely just lead to more cars trying to use the area as a throughway and not a large amount of increased local traffic. Widening Pressler would just make it less of a walkable area in a part of DT that is starting to get reasonably decent bar/restaurant scene developing. I'd also worry that it would try and shove more cars through Clarksville which just is not equipped for any kind of through traffic *at all*.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 6:51 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Im not really sure what that connection would gain. Pressler isn't a large enough road (1 lane, 1 way) to be a major thoroughfare, but would wind up being used aggressively during rush hour to try and avoid the CC/Lamar and Lamar 5th/6th intersections.
That makes sense. And it does appear upon closer inspection that all said traffic would be routed through the underpass next to the high school unless it cut straight through the baseball fields there.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 8:54 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
That makes sense. And it does appear upon closer inspection that all said traffic would be routed through the underpass next to the high school unless it cut straight through the baseball fields there.
Yeah, I think the natural boundaries of Clarksville and the lake sort of create an East/West bias in that area.

I'm normally all for more interconnectivity, but this is one part of town that is either going to have to become a 60s interchange from hell or just prone to traffic. It sort of has a natural funneling effect.

That said, more pedestrian connections coming down the hill from the West side to the lake would be *EXTREMELY* welcome and could help pedestrians avoid having to walk all the way to Lamar to cross the tracks.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 9:17 PM

The Lamar Beach master plan shows a realignment of CC that pushes it much closer to the railroad tracks, and a Pressler extension that connects up. But the most recent info on Lamar Beach I can find stopped way back in 2016, and I there's no sense of where it stands at this point. Still feasible? Can't tell.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Yeah, I think the natural boundaries of Clarksville and the lake sort of create an East/West bias in that area.

I'm normally all for more interconnectivity, but this is one part of town that is either going to have to become a 60s interchange from hell or just prone to traffic. It sort of has a natural funneling effect.

That said, more pedestrian connections coming down the hill from the West side to the lake would be *EXTREMELY* welcome and could help pedestrians avoid having to walk all the way to Lamar to cross the tracks.
The Pressler extension would have been a dangerous mistake. I agree that pedestrian access from Clarksville down to the lakeside parks and trails would be the way to go. A pedestrian/bike bridge over the tracks should be part of the mix of improvements for the area.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
The Lamar Beach master plan shows a realignment of CC that pushes it much closer to the railroad tracks, and a Pressler extension that connects up. But the most recent info on Lamar Beach I can find stopped way back in 2016, and I there's no sense of where it stands at this point. Still feasible? Can't tell.
If going to rebuild this part of Cesar Chavez St then needs to be a 6 lane road where westbound right lane dedicated to enter the northbound MoPac toll lane. And the east bound left lane needs to be dedicated as a long turning lane to get on South Lamar.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 10:58 PM

Next Thursday 03/25 is an important night for local skyscraper fans at the City Council meeting. Several important items are on the agenda.

River Street Residences is on the agenda twice. Once for approval of increased FAR and again for the aerial alley vacation.

9092 Rainey is up for a vote on the FAR increase.

East Tower/84 East is up for approval of their increased FAR.

Block 150 is up for a zoning change for the proposed height.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 3:23 AM

1155 Barton Springs

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 4:40 AM

East Sixth ‘Micro-Unit’ Project Gets Bigger, but Its Apartments Stay Small

https://austin.towers.net/east-sixth...ts-stay-small/

An apartment project bringing 60 “micro-unit” apartments to the site of a shuttered longtime East Austin barbershop near the corner of East Sixth and Chicon Streets has a taller new look courtesy of local architecture firm Mark Odom Studio

The original design was better looking. Oh well.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 3:12 AM

Not sure which thread is most appropriate for this item:

Two tower cranes have appeared at the site of construction of a new HEB at the intersection of Lake Austin Blvd & Exposition Blvd. Previously, there was some substantial excavation at the site.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 11:12 PM

I was downtown today and it looks like they've finally blocked off Red River at 12th street completely for construction, and have started making obvious progress on the new route itself. The realigned grid is now plainly visible if you're looking north up Red River.

Another thing of note: fencing is up and grass is cleared on the new Rainey District electrical substation, corner of East and Lambie, along with a large "coming soon" sign. No construction material onsite yet but I assume it's imminent-ish.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 11:36 PM

Quote:
1155 Barton Springs

Will this one have first floor retail or restaurant space?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin