HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 2:40 AM
クラブトクヨ

That's great news!

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:14 AM

Tesla removes itself from Austin ETJ freeing it from the limited environmental regulation it was subject to.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...source=twitter

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:39 PM

$120M industrial project rises in tiny city outside Austin

No matter how small, every city in the region is being hit by the development wave

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...or-austin.html

Justin Sayers – Senior Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
Apr 23, 2024

...Nearly two years after purchasing the site, March Capital Management — in partnership with Deutsche Finance America, the Denver-based real estate private equity platform of the Munich-based Deutsche Finance Group — broke ground this month on a $120 million, 900,000-square-foot, five-building industrial park it's calling 45 Logistics South. The goal is to deliver the first two buildings, totaling about 400,000 square feet, by the start of next year's third quarter...

The amount of industrial space being added to the region is impressive!

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:34 PM

The Tesla layoffs in Austin ended up being around 12% at almost 2.7K.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The Tesla layoffs in Austin ended up being around 12% at almost 2.7K.
My youngest son still has his job at the Gigafactory.
He is one of the first 500 employees at that facility, so maybe he’ll survive another round or two of layoffs if they occur.
We are keeping our fingers crossed for him.
He loves his job down there.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:47 PM

Oracle is moving it's HQ to Nashville.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/23/orac...nashville.html

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:20 PM
Bollywood Fanatic

Quote:

Hate hearing this. Did some research and realized Resideo moved its HQ to Arizona as well.

Samsung news and the Tesla/Oracle news. Rollercoaster few weeks.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:37 PM

Quote:

Gravitating more towards health care industry. Huge get for Nashville.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:47 PM

Here's an X post with info about Flex(tronics) possibly moving their HQ here in the past couple weeks. They are currently a Global 500 company.

https://twitter.com/TheATX1/status/1781454137042833575

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:59 PM

Quote:

I’m not saying it’s not happening it can’t happen, but “ultimately” reads a little weak to me.

He’s at a health care forum in Nashville, talking to a Tennessee senator, and it’s only “ultimately”

It’s like Amazon and their planned headquarters in NY.

Old Posted Today, 3:49 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

It's all about incentives and other tax abatements. If they move, that is why. Also, the "loss" will only be in perception. Can anyone tell me what changed in Austin when the HQ "moved" there?

Oh, neither Ellison nor Oracle's CEO ever moved to Austin. A lot of their executives are still in California. The HQ move a few years ago was to get out of CA's taxations. I bet the State of Tennessee is throwing the moon at them to move to Nashville. And, I know their new campus in downtown Nashville received a ridiculous amount of kick backs.

Old Posted Today, 1:13 PM
World Traveler

We discussed Amazon when they were on their country-wide HQ2 search. Sometimes the benefits that companies are seeking/expecting aren't worth it. Sometimes they are. Things come and go. Still sucks to lose them, but that's why a diversified economy for our metro and state is a good thing.

Old Posted Today, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
We discussed Amazon when they were on their country-wide HQ2 search. Sometimes the benefits that companies are seeking/expecting aren't worth it. Sometimes they are. Things come and go. Still sucks to lose them, but that's why a diversified economy for our metro and state is a good thing.
“Discussed” is quite the understatement .

Old Posted Today, 3:52 PM
Member since 2001

Who knows how the dust will settle on the Oracle deal. But, their campus is expanding in Austin and the one in Nashville has yet to start construction.

I don't really buy the being close to healthcare excuse (as the main reason). HCA is based there - but, there's not much else. If being close to the healthcare industry was a prerequisite - they'd be HQ'd in Houston.

Old Posted Today, 4:13 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Tesla removes itself from Austin ETJ freeing it from the limited environmental regulation it was subject to.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...source=twitter
Yet another reason to say they may be more of a curse to environmentally conscious Austin rather than a benefit. Pollution levels will increase, they don't seem to care about land stewardship just looking at those drone flyovers. I feel bad for anyone living downstream from them.

Old Posted Today, 4:15 PM

I'd be surprised if Oracle uproots completely from Austin. But even if they did, they have a nice campus built for another company to swoop in.

With Tesla, it always sucks to lose your job, but on the bright side, it appears to me that they have hired over 20k in a few short years, letting a couple thousand go still nets Austin the largest overnight tech/manufacturing company, I've ever seen. I've read Tesla "purges" 3-10% of its workforce every few years...maybe Elon's a big Welsh fan. Regardless, periodic layoffs appear to be apart of their business model.

That said, anecdotally, I work at a Fibercove Coworking and 2 other members just got hired at Tesla...within the last month. I think this could just be reorganizing. Though I've never worked in corporate/government, I've had plenty of friends over the years tell me stories of coworkers who they can't get rid of, and literally do nothing. As a small business owner since '95, I couldn't imagine paying an employee not pulling his/her weight. "Quiet quitting", they call it.

Old Posted Today, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Yet another reason to say they may be more of a curse to environmentally conscious Austin rather than a benefit. Pollution levels will increase, they don't seem to care about land stewardship just looking at those drone flyovers. I feel bad for anyone living downstream from them.
I blame the State for passing legislation that allows this. A large movie studio proposed for Bastrop recently did this as well, and a large housing development in Buda is in the process of being removed from Buda's ETJ.

Even worse IMO is that certain areas of large Texas cities can now vote to be de-annexed from the central city. Several areas of Austin are voting in a couple weeks to be removed from Austin. The population loss for Austin could be around 7K or 8K. Lost Creek has the largest population amongst the areas seeking to leave the City. When it was annexed by Austin in 2015, it had a population of around 5K.

Old Posted Today, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Who knows how the dust will settle on the Oracle deal. But, their campus is expanding in Austin and the one in Nashville has yet to start construction.

I don't really buy the being close to healthcare excuse (as the main reason). HCA is based there - but, there's not much else. If being close to the healthcare industry was a prerequisite - they'd be HQ'd in Houston.
Reads like it was written by the Nashville Chamber of Commerce, but it's still pretty impressive. Guess that's why all that healthcare VC money goes to Nashville every quarter. https://www.forbes.com/sites/billfri...h=231527d17de8

Old Posted Today, 8:05 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I think people blowing this a bit too much out of proportion. These land owners just want more freedom to develop their land as they see fit. In the case of Tesla, they still have to adhere to the TECQ qualities and regulations. It's not like Tesla is a tanner and dumping chromium, formaldehyde and other VOCs into the Colorado River.

Also, Austin is waaaaaaay over their skis on "environmental" requirements.

Old Posted Today, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
I think people blowing this a bit too much out of proportion. These land owners just want more freedom to develop their land as they see fit. In the case of Tesla, they still have to adhere to the TECQ qualities and regulations. It's not like Tesla is a tanner and dumping chromium, formaldehyde and other VOCs into the Colorado River.

Also, Austin is waaaaaaay over their skis on "environmental" requirements.
Bingo.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin