HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 8:25 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenavedon View Post
old one was way better because it had charm. The theatre was nice as well. Was it outdated? Yes. Could it have been renovated and turned into something amazing? Yes. Better location? Yes. Could have been right off the new Sunalta station. I mean I'd rather them have a central epic science center and move the stupid new arena somewhere in the boondocks.
At very least they could have replaced part of one of the massive zoo parking lots with the Science Centre rather than placing it north of the zoo property. Hell a single sidewalk would be nice!

Google maps won't even recommend getting off the ctrain at the zoo, it recommends getting off at Bridgeland taking the #9 for 2 stops then walking 1.2km along St. Georges Dr!

Edit: then again it won't recommend getting of at the zoo station to go to the zoo

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Yes, and it was also designed during the height of the recession.
Things like Science Centres only come around once a generation. If the timing wasn't right to build something good, then maybe we shouldn't have built anything at that time and waited till conditions changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishavenger View Post
Exhibits can be changed, its the configuration of the building that matters, and once inside, it seems fairly good.
Indeed, I'm looking forward to the oil-focused exhibits being replaced in 15 years... with natural gas-focused exhibits.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenavedon View Post
our science center sucks anyway. It's filled with boring junk that's oil and gas related. People want wonder and excitement. Space travel and exploration to far off places. They want to experience something futuristic. This is a science center. Not the junk heap we have now. Calgary dropped the ball big time on something that could have been a defining place for our city.
Science centres are far too often a type of interactive classroom, whose exhibits are designed specifically to facilitate some learning outcome. Any historical perspective on science or artifact is a curiosity that is seen as good to have but unnecessary. Telus Spark is of this kind and it is terrible. But so is the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia, which manages to be fairly boring despite having some fairly impressive items in its collection, a huge budget, a long history, and great location. By contrast, the Mütter Museum, which is contained in a much more modest location and on a much more modest budget also in Philadelphia, was one of the most impressive scientific-focused museums I've ever visited.

This issue of course is that "science" is a broad topic, and so museums of natural history, paleontology, archaeology/physical anthropology, geology, and aeronautics, and even zoos and planetariums, are all already museums of science. And so 'science centres' try to cover an entirely too-broad topic, without stepping on the feet of other museums in their region (which are usually the most tangible topics). This leads to museums spread thin, with no clear focus and a needless focus on the current state of technology. Telus Spark also suffers from a terrible governing culture. One of its directors has a professional science background, and that's good, but reading any of their annual reports is depressing. They all make a huge point to mention "Canada's innovation gap", "inspiring new innovators", how many more science degrees China awards than Canada, and the future of Alberta's labour market in the first few pages. I had to attend this Alberta Innovates Technology Futures summit awhile ago, and it was the same thing: every time someone with an MBA tells me about the value of science (which almost invariable includes the phrase "innovation gap"), I die inside just a little bit.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 9:13 PM
Fake News

Still haven't been to Telus Spark. I wanted to go see the movie props exhibit but then the flood happened. It's disappointing that it's O&G dominated, but then again not at all surprising. Then again seeing as Telus has the naming rights I wonder if they chipped in more than any oil companies?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 9:15 PM
Here and There

Obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
Things like Science Centres only come around once a generation. If the timing wasn't right to build something good, then maybe we shouldn't have built anything at that time and waited till conditions changed.

Indeed, I'm looking forward to the oil-focused exhibits being replaced in 15 years... with natural gas-focused exhibits.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 9:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Still haven't been to Telus Spark. I wanted to go see the movie props exhibit but then the flood happened. It's disappointing that it's O&G dominated, but then again not at all surprising. Then again seeing as Telus has the naming rights I wonder if they chipped in more than any oil companies?
Having been there on at least three occasions, including during one of their evening events, I don't think it is oil and gas dominated at all. I'm actually quite perplexed with your post, as you make that observation almost immediately after stating you've not been there.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 4:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The vision for the New Central Library, coming soon to @EastVillageYYC! youtube.com/watch?v=Q7zgG8…
https://mobile.twitter.com/DruhFarre...38561736314880

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 5:22 PM
Traditional Ale User

Interesting new video released today showing the LRT encapsulation strategy for the site during construction - to start in spring 2014. Only a matter of time until they reveal renders for this one

http://www.calgarymlc.ca/explore-pro...library/videos

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 5:31 PM
ARTchitecture

That is so cool. I didn't realize that the footprint of the library is across both sides of the LRT. That is friggin cool. What an amazing opportunity this city has to build something great right now! How exciting!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 5:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luk_o View Post
Interesting new video released today showing the LRT encapsulation strategy for the site during construction - to start in spring 2014. Only a matter of time until they reveal renders for this one

http://www.calgarymlc.ca/explore-pro...library/videos
An excellent video!

The extent of the boundaries show very clearly how truly large the site is, and hopefully the very effectively use the span across the road will add to that. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the final design couples with the municipal building, and what modifications are being proposed for the municipal building such as to connect the East and the West. When thinking of the library and municipal building as one larger campus, this is going to be globally noteworthy - if we don't skimp. Nenshi is the right mayor for this to get through at the quality level it requires. If we need to suck up extra taxes for this, I'd be the first to agree!

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 5:38 PM

Is this encapsulation permanent? I was kind of hoping the train tunnel would be worked into the design of the library itself....ie, how cool would it be if it was enclosed in glass, and would run through the interior of the building?

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Is this encapsulation permanent? I was kind of hoping the train tunnel would be worked into the design of the library itself....ie, how cool would it be if it was enclosed in glass, and would run through the interior of the building?
Pretty sure it is .. In the video they note it will factor into the design of the new library and be apart of the foundation

Would love to see this connect with the Municipal Building and its renovations

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 5:45 PM

Hmm too bad if so. It seems like a bit of a missed design opportunity to me to just cover it up. I think the train tracks running through it are the most unique aspect of the site, and I was hoping it would be part of some uniquely whacky design.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Hmm too bad if so. It seems like a bit of a missed design opportunity to me to just cover it up. I think the train tracks running through it are the most unique aspect of the site, and I was hoping it would be part of some uniquely whacky design.
It still could be, who knows .. The slabs covering the track are there to protect the LRT line amidst construction .. Perhaps they'll replace those with something more transparent but use the walls as part of the library foundation

Should be pretty interesting to see this one unravel

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 5:49 PM
ARTchitecture

Yeah I hoped so too. It is kind of weird that they would make it permanent, since the estimated life of the library is 100 years, and the train tracks will be decomissioned (due to the construction of the 8th Avenue Subway) likely within 10 years of the building's opening.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 6:07 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.E.Pennypacker View Post
It still could be, who knows .. The slabs covering the track are there to protect the LRT line amidst construction .. Perhaps they'll replace those with something more transparent but use the walls as part of the library foundation

Should be pretty interesting to see this one unravel
The rendering doesn't look hugely permanent, the roof and wall panels are precast making them relatively easy to remove and replace with something else. The grade beam would be harder to remove and would likely be used as part of the foundation. That said it would be hard to remove them after the building is built around it.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 6:07 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Yeah I hoped so too. It is kind of weird that they would make it permanent, since the estimated life of the library is 100 years, and the train tracks will be decomissioned (due to the construction of the 8th Avenue Subway) likely within 10 years of the building's opening.
The tracks will always be there as long as we have LRT at grade on 7th to allow for cross over of vehicles.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 6:28 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
The rendering doesn't look hugely permanent, the roof and wall panels are precast making them relatively easy to remove and replace with something else. The grade beam would be harder to remove and would likely be used as part of the foundation. That said it would be hard to remove them after the building is built around it.
Steel and wood would be a lot easier to dissemble than precast. This looks like a pretty standard, permanent project.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
At very least they could have replaced part of one of the massive zoo parking lots with the Science Centre rather than placing it north of the zoo property. Hell a single sidewalk would be nice!

Google maps won't even recommend getting off the ctrain at the zoo, it recommends getting off at Bridgeland taking the #9 for 2 stops then walking 1.2km along St. Georges Dr!

Edit: then again it won't recommend getting of at the zoo station to go to the zoo
Much of the zoo parking is former landfill and cannot support structures.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 6:39 PM

Quote:
I was at an event with the designers a few months ago, and they mentioned that they first envisioned being able to see the train from within the library, but that the cost was too great.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates