HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 4:24 PM
not a NIMBY

I can't think of any other brand new never occupied office space in the downtown area that is available right now so I'm sure they will find tenants. (20/20)

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 4:55 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdamned View Post
I'd be ecstatic if they could bring the theatre back but I know they stripped a lot of it out. The building has been significantly under maintained over the years.
when I first moved to Calgary I was impressed that there were 3 historic movie theatres still in operation. I wish they could bring The Uptown back. That said I wish the 2 still existing ones: The Globe and The Plaza were both completely rehabbed into true movie palaces. one can dream, right.

As for The Barron building itself, it's quite important in the history of Calgary.
a good, short read http://www.getdown.ca/2012/07/30/the...ry-in-calgary/

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 6:26 PM

I don't see where there is no retail on the main floor. Looks like a decent amount of space for a few tenants on the main if not a couple restaurants or larger scaled tenants. http://www.altusinsite.com/files/fil...318/plan/1.jpg

Strategic does not have a great history of well maintained buildings or well designed building IMO. Although I'm happy the building is being saved and although I would love to have seen it restored to its full glamour I also realize that the existing floor plates and size do not lend themselves favorably to leasing. The expansion looks good. At least in concept. The proof will be in the detail work. I think its a good blend between new and old.

Royop is another developer that has completed some fairly good amalgamations of new and old buildings. Again IMO. Their head office on 11th ave and 7 street SW and recently the Biscuit building in the warehouse district. Like them or not, at least they weren't torn down.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 2:48 AM
BANNED

Doesn't make it totally clear, but looks like level 1 is office, 2 is retail, with remaining floors office based on below:

Quote:

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Doesn't make it totally clear, but looks like level 1 is office, 2 is retail, with remaining floors office based on below:
My mistake. I didn't read the floor listing on the side though I have a hard time believing they wouldn't have retail on the podium level. Time will tell I suppose.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 2:59 PM

Quote:
My mistake. I didn't read the floor listing on the side though I have a hard time believing they wouldn't have retail on the podium level. Time will tell I suppose.
I'm not sure the City would approve the redevelopment if there is no retail on the main floor .. Should be interesting to see how this one plays out

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 3:31 PM
BANNED

Maybe this one just passed by before the new Commercial Residential District (CR20-C20/R20) zoning for the CBD comes into effect in June because having all office/lobby on main floor would not pass anywhere in the CBD, especially not along the Stephen Ave Retail area once this new zoning comes into effect.

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/LUPP/Docum...f?noredirect=1

From Page 7-10, restrictions of 50% of main floor for office use, certain streets office not allowed, including where this property is located.

35% max lobby area on main floor for the main streets listed, 70% in remaining areas.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 9:04 PM

Can't say I see too much value in the marquee. I think the centre column of the building is way more architecturally stimulating than the marquee, which is just, well, a black box sticking out. In fact I think the marquee detracts from the cohesiveness of floors 1 and 2.

Existing floor plans here if anyone's interested: http://www.strategicgroup.ca/Real-Es...-Building.aspx

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Although I'm happy the building is being saved and although I would love to have seen it restored to its full glamour I also realize that the existing floor plates and size do not lend themselves favorably to leasing.
Where did this BS come from? It's not the first time I've read that "because of the floorplates" the building is not "leasable".

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 5:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
Where did this BS come from? It's not the first time I've read that "because of the floorplates" the building is not "leasable".
From Strategic I believe. Might have to do with building an expansion with higher total sq. footage to recapture the costs associated with the existing building reno's etc.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
I don't see where there is no retail on the main floor. Looks like a decent amount of space for a few tenants on the main if not a couple restaurants or larger scaled tenants. http://www.altusinsite.com/files/fil...318/plan/1.jpg

Strategic does not have a great history of well maintained buildings or well designed building IMO. Although I'm happy the building is being saved and although I would love to have seen it restored to its full glamour I also realize that the existing floor plates and size do not lend themselves favorably to leasing. The expansion looks good. At least in concept. The proof will be in the detail work. I think its a good blend between new and old.

Royop is another developer that has completed some fairly good amalgamations of new and old buildings. Again IMO. Their head office on 11th ave and 7 street SW and recently the Biscuit building in the warehouse district. Like them or not, at least they weren't torn down.
Just going by the JPG, it would appear to me that the Uptown Theatre portion of the building will have to be demolished to build the new back-alley expansion and 5th St expansion (the former CIBC bank on the corner).

To my eye, there's no easy way to build the loading dock and parking ramp without demolishing the shorter northern half of the old Barron building - the space occupied by the now closed movie house.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
From Strategic I believe.

Figures. :/

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
I didn't say it wasn't leasable. It's a challenge due to the amount of space available, lease rates and the tenants they are aimed at. Right now, the building is a piece of shit. Hard to lease a piece of shit for market rates.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
Just going by the JPG, it would appear to me that the Uptown Theatre portion of the building will have to be demolished to build the new back-alley expansion and 5th St expansion (the former CIBC bank on the corner).

To my eye, there's no easy way to build the loading dock and parking ramp without demolishing the shorter northern half of the old Barron building - the space occupied by the now closed movie house.
And it just struck me why the renders don't show the theatre marquee.

No movie house after the new construction; no need for the marquee either.

back to hockey

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 2:53 PM

The marquee is down and it looks like a sales centre will open soon. Something seems to be happening.

There will be a Beakerhead function in the building in a few weeks.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates