HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 4:48 PM

Barron Building - Provincial Historic Resource

I just came across an article indicating the Barron Building is to be designated a Provincial Historic Resource per the following link: http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/g...ar31_Part1.pdf Refer specifically to pages 4 & 5.

This is easily my favorite building in the City and I know its slated for redevelopment. A significant renovation/addition anyhow.

I'm curious whether anyone knows anything further. Although it may be designated a Historic Resource, I believe it can still be renovated and modified. Can anyone confirm this??

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 5:09 PM

I'm so glad that this is being preserved! Hopefully they'll get the theatre back

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govertical View Post
I'm so glad that this is being preserved! Hopefully they'll get the theatre back
I'd be ecstatic if they could bring the theatre back but I know they stripped a lot of it out. The building has been significantly under maintained over the years.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 2:05 AM

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 2:48 AM
BANNED

Retail only on second floor? That's a fail for that location. Lots of new restaurants etc opening west of the tree sculptures.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 3:02 AM
ARTchitecture

Wow this render looks great! But wow, if there is retail only on the 2nd floor, what a freaking waste of an opportunity to bring some activity back to the street level!!!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 3:08 AM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Wow this render looks great! But wow, if there is retail only on the 2nd floor, what a freaking waste of an opportunity to bring some activity back to the street level!!!
Agreed, no main floor retail and the lose of the marquee are both big drawbacks to this proposal. It's not like Strategic has a great track record of getting projects done either....

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 3:42 AM
Fake News

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post

No kidding. Wtf is that big empty glass room on the side then? Probably just an elevator lobby to the parkade? And totally sealed off from the outside world.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
No kidding. Wtf is that big empty glass room on the side then? Probably just an elevator lobby to the parkade? And totally sealed off from the outside world.
That corner has walk-by traffic numbers in the tens of thousands per day . You'd think that the occasional one would want to walk in and buy a coffee enough that ground floor retail would be warranted.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 5:51 AM

That would be a good corner for a newspaper kiosk. I wonder why Calgary doesn't have any...

Coffee, food, or retail would be great too.

Anything but lobby, really.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
Agreed, no main floor retail and the lose of the marquee are both big drawbacks to this proposal. It's not like Strategic has a great track record of getting projects done either....
Strategic manages our building, and I don't have much faith they can do anything but butcher a project. They have done terrible things to ours...And don't get me started on their heating/cooling program...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 2:18 PM

Wow no retail on the main floor?? Biiig fail .. Major dislike for this project now

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 2:38 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
That would be a good corner for a newspaper kiosk. I wonder why Calgary doesn't have any...

Coffee, food, or retail would be great too.

Anything but lobby, really.
This would be an interesting idea, wonder if this would be allowed...

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 2:39 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Strategic manages our building, and I don't have much faith they can do anything but butcher a project. They have done terrible things to ours...And don't get me started on their heating/cooling program...
After the debacle on 4th, and the fits and starts that the replacement <50% of the windows in this building has occurred in. I have no faith that they can even figure out how to put a crew together to get something done, let alone properly restore one of Calgary's more prominent historical properties.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 2:41 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
That corner has walk-by traffic numbers in the tens of thousands per day . You'd think that the occasional one would want to walk in and buy a coffee enough that ground floor retail would be warranted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.E.Pennypacker View Post
Wow no retail on the main floor?? Biiig fail .. Major dislike for this project now
It will be nice to have a slightly more open corner to wait on and more space for the bus stop, but really other than that....

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 3:00 PM

Quote:
After the debacle on 4th, and the fits and starts that the replacement <50% of the windows in this building has occurred in. I have no faith that they can even figure out how to put a crew together to get something done, let alone properly restore one of Calgary's more prominent historical properties.
Well they've shown they know how to erect ugly scaffolding over the sidewalk and do nothing with it for a good year, so that's a start! The city should force them to remove it until they actually start doing work.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 3:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Looks like the debacle lives on, have they even leased out any of the 20/20 building? Meanwhile Maxwell Bates looks to be fully leased, including all retail bays....

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 3:53 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Well they've shown they know how to erect ugly scaffolding over the sidewalk and do nothing with it for a good year, so that's a start! The city should force them to remove it until they actually start doing work.
I think that scaffolding is there to support the marquee as they don't have permission to remove it but it isn't stable enough to support it's self due to lack of maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Looks like the debacle lives on, have they even leased out any of the 20/20 building? Meanwhile Maxwell Bates looks to be fully leased, including all retail bays....
Kinda sad really, a bustling retail corridor and they can't find tenants

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 4:10 PM
not a NIMBY

There was a DP approved a few weeks ago for a restaurant in 20/20, but I don't know if any of the office space has been leased yet.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 4:12 PM

I know the office space has at least 1 tenant, not sure how much square footage they're occupying though

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates