HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 11:46 PM
Urbis Maximus

^Yes it was. He has a fair amount of support from the Mayor and existing Councilors; Mandel, Batty, Krushell and Anderson were present.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 1:39 AM

More rumors from daveberta
http://daveberta.ca/2013/06/edmonton...ncil-election/

kikkiplanet rumored for Ward 5
Don Koziak considering another run at Ward 2

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 3:53 PM

Does anyone know if there has been any new opinion poles recently. I am very concerned about the amount of Support that Kerry Diote is getting from the anti arena groups. Kerry is very dangerous for the city . Because of vote splitting I think who ever wins it will be very close. If we see a high turn out at the poles than I think Don will win but if it is a low turn out than Kerry will win.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 9:43 PM
Urbis Maximus

Too early for polls and I wouldn't worry about Diotte to be honest.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 4:23 PM

I have to say that I am very concerned still about Edmonton's future . Kerry Diotte is I feel gaining support . He is using Face book very well to get his message across . I wish it were only Kerry and Don who were running for mayor. Kerry is out every day knocking on doors and I fear gaining support. All Kerry has to do to win is split the vote between Don and Karen to win. I know it is to early for poles and yet I wish they would have one just to see how much support Kerry has this early in the game. Who ever can use social media the best will win the election.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 4:50 PM
Community Guy

Karen and Don both have increasing support as well, so I am not overly worried.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 5:00 PM

^^Don is a very strong organizer. Keep in mind that not very many people are paying attention to the election at this point. Things won't really get going until late August when the vast majority of volunteers will start getting involved and the campaigns go into high spending mode.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 6:00 PM

At this point is the arena not a done deal? Do we even have to worry about it getting stopped?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 6:18 PM
Community Guy

^done deal. End discussion. No.

It would be to a candidates detriment to open it back up.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 6:20 PM

Interesting comments from Karen:

Quote:
ANNEXATION: IT’S TIME FOR THE FREE LUNCHES TO STOP

There is an old saying in politics that there is no such thing as a free lunch—so imagine the irony of seeing Leduc County’s political leaders offer just that as their way of shaping the discussion of Edmonton’s proposed annexation.

We all know that someone always pays, and in the case of our region, it is more often the taxpayers of Edmonton who foot the bill.

That’s why we’ve worked so hard to balance the costs and benefits of growth in our region. That’s why we’ve been such strong supporters of a regional model.

But once again, our neighbours show that we don’t have buy-in on regional co-operation and that’s why I am such a strong supporter of the annexation application our City has started.

Those who know me know that my first route to a solution is to work collaboratively. While I am prepared to do this, I want to be very clear: annexation must happen and time is running out for this to take place.

Annexation will facilitate better transit and business access to the EIA and Highway 2.

Annexation will bring Edmonton’s airport into Edmonton.

Annexation means our city can continue to grow responsibly under our plan at our pace.

Some critics may say that annexation will encourage sprawl. However. I believe that sprawl and growth are very different. Sprawl is uncontrolled unmanageable geographic spread. Growth is smart, planned, and necessary both upwards AND outwards. My job as Mayor will be to ensure we do it right.

We must pursue annexation and get it done.

It is time for the free lunches to stop.
http://karenformayor.ca/annexation-i...nches-to-stop/

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 7:25 PM

Here here.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 9:55 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillN View Post
^^Don is a very strong organizer. Keep in mind that not very many people are paying attention to the election at this point. Things won't really get going until late August when the vast majority of volunteers will start getting involved and the campaigns go into high spending mode.
Things will really heat up after Labour Day weekend. For now there's not much of anything going on nor are many really paying too much attention as we're in the middle of vacation season.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 1:38 AM

Very well said. Karen is well balanced and makes a great contender for Mayor.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 1:58 AM
SUSPENDED

^I agree.....She has all the tools. For me she emulates Mandels vision and passion.

Don is a smart guy....but IMO not his time yet.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 2:58 AM

Well said ^

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 4:41 AM

Hmm. It will be really interesting to see how things go when the campaigning really begins. I do think Karen shares Mandel's vision, but haven't seen the passion. She doesn't need to be as brash or outspoken, but meh... I dunno. Even in council I always felt she was 'good' but after a council meeting her contributions rarely left an impression on me amongst many of the other personalities. She hasn't won me over, at least not yet.... She does have two months but I think she's already lost me.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 12:22 PM

I have nothing against Karen ,but I feel that Don has a better chance of bringing together all Edmontonians . I also feel that he has a better chance of beating Kerry Diotte than Karen does.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 1:57 PM

Karen has a lot of money, connections, and resources behind her. I wouldn't discount her ability to beat Diotte.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 2:13 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK STAR View Post
^I agree.....She has all the tools. For me she emulates Mandels vision and passion.

Don is a smart guy....but IMO not his time yet.
My thoughts as well. Don is making a huge mistake. I think he saw what happened in Calgary with Nenshi where the campaign was won by ingaging younger people and a new generation of voters with the use of social media and non-traditional methods. It's rather unfortunate that a campaign can be won by hashtags rather than experience.

Mandel did an incredible job. He was able to get the support of the corporate community and tackle a lot of social issues....Thats a very difficult thing to do and it requires a delicate balance. From what I have seen and heard, Don does not have this broad support from all ends of the spectrum and that is something that should worry us all.

Unless something drastic happens, I will be supporting Karen.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 3:31 PM

That the Calgary election was won by hashtags, that is the easy story to tell so that is what is told. Anyone trying to replicate the campaign while focusing on social media have a wake up call coming.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton