HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 5:13 PM

Don Iveson to announce plans in Edmonton mayor’s race Tuesday

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 9:58 PM
Community Guy

Indeed... Starting to get interesting.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 10:09 AM

Here's a thought:

While we are busy talking about Iveson splitting the progressive vote, shouldn't we also be talking about him splitting the man vote?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/comme...ticle12596195/

This is a HUGE factor, and why I (early-on) expect a qualified candidate such as Karen to ultimately win.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 2:07 PM

His campaign manager is the same as Reimer's?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 5:56 PM

Judging from Twitter, Iveson is official. Unofficially.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 6:33 PM
Urbis Maximus

It's official, Iveson running for mayor. Well this race will be an interesting one. Although I do worry about potentially splitting the vote between Liebo.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 7:50 PM
HVAC guru

That could happen... I think that some people under estimate Kerry Diottes' potential to get votes simply by hammering the other candidates about the condition of the roads and the arena fiasco. He might not need a platform, just some torches and pitchforks.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 8:47 PM

I think he can get 25-30% (i.e., the Koziak/Dorward upper limit in the last two mayoral's)doing exactly that. If he's an effective campaigner and gets near or above the upper-end of that range, and if neither of Iveson or Liebo decisively claim the progressive torch, we could be in for a nail biter. Having said that, I don't think he has the appeal, from a political positioning perspective, to get much above that. Iveron and Liebo, on the other hand, have the potential to get greater than 50%. I hope one or both of those are capable of running an effective city-wide campaign.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 9:47 PM

I always felt the Koziak/Dorward vote was always the anti-Mandel vote, so I'd be surprised for him to get that high to be honest.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 10:09 PM

I agree, but I took the anti-Mandel vote that landed with Dorward and Koziak to be the Mike Nickel/Kerry Diote type constituency looking for a home; they certainly tried to appeal to that part of the electorate.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 5:09 AM

I was impressed by what Don Iveson had to say in his speech today. I especially like his wanting to turn small local companies into giants. Right now it's a tough choice between him and Leibo for me.

I too am worried about a vote split here. Maybe we need someone like Don Koziak to split the Archie Bunker vote with Diotte.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 12:02 PM

I would like to see some debates as soon as possible were Don Iveson goes after Kerry Diotte. Right now Kerry is using the Arena as a means of gaining support, and the anti arena population is still hopping find away to kill the Arena . The other candidates need to go after Diotte on other issues that affect Edmonton. I think if Iveson can get the younger generation to vote than he will win . What would help is if we could get shovels in the ground for the arena before the election. If we cold start building the arena now it would force the electorate to think about what is really important and Kerry would be lucky to come in third.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I was impressed by what Don Iveson had to say in his speech today. I especially like his wanting to turn small local companies into giants. Right now it's a tough choice between him and Leibo for me.

I too am worried about a vote split here. Maybe we need someone like Don Koziak to split the Archie Bunker vote with Diotte.
Edmonton already has good start-up roots, how can a municipal government turn small business' in to large corporations?

What about focusing on larger corporations that call Edmonton, have huge work forces here, but call Calgary or Vancouver home for their corporate offices. I'm for supporting small business and fostering a growth environment, but I don't see how a mayor can make a company grow.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 6:00 PM
Community Guy

^A Mayor can exude confidence about their city and project a progressive image, that goes a long way. Then back it up with numbers and assistance where necessary.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk View Post
Edmonton already has good start-up roots, how can a municipal government turn small business' in to large corporations?

What about focusing on larger corporations that call Edmonton, have huge work forces here, but call Calgary or Vancouver home for their corporate offices. I'm for supporting small business and fostering a growth environment, but I don't see how a mayor can make a company grow.
I agree that I don't see how a mayor can make a company grow... but a mayor can help foster a relationship with the city so that when that company does grow, they don't run off to Calgary or Vancouver.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 10:53 PM

Diotte feels like Edmonton's version of Rob Ford. The reason Ford won in Toronto is because the progressives got paranoid about him and started mentioning him everywhere -thus giving him free advertising. I feel if we give Diotte the bare minimum of attention, in other words ignore him, we can focus on pressing urban issues and a progressive candidate will win.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
Diotte feels like Edmonton's version of Rob Ford. The reason Ford won in Toronto is because the progressives got paranoid about him and started mentioning him everywhere -thus giving him free advertising. I feel if we give Diotte the bare minimum of attention, in other words ignore him, we can focus on pressing urban issues and a progressive candidate will win.
Never thought of it this way but there is some wisdom in the free advertising bit.

Still, I don't see a candidate winning through an outpouring of free negative press.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 7:28 PM

Confirmed: Scott McKeen is running for Ward 6

How's this for a ringing endorsement?

https://twitter.com/Scott_McKeen/sta...20479767793664

Quote:
"@Scott_McKeen will be one of the finest councillors we've ever had...I've come to respect his balanced views." - @MayorMandel

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 7:29 PM

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 11:25 PM
Community Guy

McKeen in 2013!!!

Awesome launch today, great turnout.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton