HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 7:16 AM

I'm just glad to see residential holding it's own Downtown. I'd love to see a couple of companies move from the burbs back DT! I know there's some suburban space being leased by companies from out of state consolidating to the Twin Cities!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 6:45 AM

I saw over at SSP the new rendering of "Nick on 5th". Looks quite different than the first render. Too bad they chopped of 7 floors.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 3:08 AM
Architecture/Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
I saw over at SSP the new rendering of "Nick on 5th". Looks quite different than the first render. Too bad they chopped of 7 floors.
Yes, it is surprising considering that the apartment vacancy rates are still holding at around 2%, even with the 10,000+ units under construction in the two core cities.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:01 PM
Architecture/Engineering

Last night, another new apartment tower was announce to the Downtown Neighborhood association in Minneapolis. A 30-story building at 400 Marquette Avenue, by Mortenson Construction (the firm building the new Vikings stadium).

This is the same block as the Nicollet Residences (now called Nic on Fifth and which are currently under construction) and the new Excel Energy office building, scheduled for 2014. This will complete the transformation of the entire block. Renderings were available at the meeting but no one took any pictures. They should be published soon. Go to UrbanMSP for more details.

Renderings of the new Vikings stadium should be available in April, according to the team. The major decision left is what features will be retractable/operable.

According to the Minneapolis/St.Paul Business Journal
, the latest survey of downtown Minneapolis Class A office space reveals that the demand for space above the 25th floor remains high:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Avian001; Mar 13, 2013 at 6:33 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 5:46 AM

That's one of the best Office Vacancy Analysis charts I've seen! Good work! Now let's see if you'll be able to add a couple more 50 story office buildings.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 7:51 AM

Man this thread is dead! I saw a rendering of "Mark on 4th", looks ok! Kind of bland... 30 floors? Lot of stuff going on in Minneapolis!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 8:53 PM
Architecture/Engineering

Here's the rendering of 4Marq. 30 stories, on the same block as the U/C 27-story Nic on 5th and the planned Xcel office building:

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 3:55 AM

I think 4Marq. looks pretty good. I'm wondering though about the bottom floors with parking and how that will turn out.

Nic on 5th has lost a lot appeal for a lot of people (including me) after they massacred the nice top floors/roof off! It now looks "squat" with an uninteresting roof!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 10:58 PM
Architecture/Engineering

Yes, 4Marq certainly has a mid-century modern vibe!

Brunsfield Place apartments in the North Loop is well underway:

Last edited by Avian001; Apr 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 9:09 PM
Architecture/Engineering

Duplicated post in the "skyscraper proposals" thread...

A more detailed rendering of the proposed 20-story mixed-use twin towers for Wells Fargo at 4th & Portland Av near the Metrodome. These are the buildings that will face the planned 9-acre park. New skyways will extend the system from the office core to the new Vikings stadium.

Image is from the report to the City of Minneapolis on proposed signage.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 4:46 AM

I was hoping for one of the buildings to be in the 30+-story range. Looks OK. What's with the skyway? Isn't the reason for a lot of this development is to get people on the street or in the park?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 11:44 PM
Architecture/Engineering

Quote:
I was hoping for one of the buildings to be in the 30+-story range. Looks OK. What's with the skyway? Isn't the reason for a lot of this development is to get people on the street or in the park?
I think the driving force is that the Vikings and the local governing body for the sports facilities want the new stadium to be connected to the skyway, like Target Field is on the other side of downtown.

Another reason skyways are attractive is that they increase commercial revenues since rents on the 2nd floors of skyway-connected buildings are as high and sometimes higher than street-level rents.

In any case, the new park should provide lots of incentive for people to be on the street, since the area is currently just a sea of parking lots. This one development alone will transform 5 full city blocks. Combined with the new stadium, the whole area will look dramatically different in 3 years.

It's also odd that this proposal from Ryan construction is so far along and Wells Fargo has yet to sign on the dotted line. It may be that WF hasn't yet decided upon how much space they will need here. There is an interesting difference between the revealed plan and what Ryan says to the city's Zoning Committee about its plans:

"The initial proposal include(s) about 300 residential units, 1.2 million square feet of office space in two towers, 40,000 square feet of retail, a parking ramp, skyway connections to downtown, and a park spanning two city blocks."

'The “maximum” development scenario calls for 2.9 million square feet of office space, 335 residential units, or 275 residential units and a 150-room hotel, 105,000 square feet of retail and 2,725 parking spaces."

-- From the StarTribune

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 3:57 AM

Avian001: Thanks for the info. I like the "maximum" development scenario with at least one of the buildings taller than the other... but we'll see what ends up happening.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 6:52 PM
Architecture/Engineering

Higher resolution renderings of the project have been released by Ryan Companies

Here's one of the northeast side of the project. Ryan is retaining air rights for the parking ramp in the background:

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 8:29 PM

Nice angle. I'm assuming those buildings on the west of the park are probable/future development.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 6:50 PM
Architecture/Engineering

Quote:
Nice angle. I'm assuming those buildings on the west of the park are probable/future development.
Those are all existing buildings, except perhaps for the outlined one near the top of the image. Ryan is reserving the western 1/3 of the park for a future building though.

A new webcam is up at the LPM Apartment tower site:

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 7:07 PM
Architecture/Engineering

A 13-story, 320-unit luxury apartment building is being proposed for the corner of 3rd and Washington in downtown Minneapolis. It will replace a surface parking lot. It's directly across the street from the Marriot/Milwaukee Road Depot.

The Washington Av side will have a widened sidewalk to accommodate a new bike path and trees.

There will be retail on the ground floor and the building will also connect to the existing skyway that runs through the alley. It is being developed by Alatus, which also built the 39-story Carlyle a block away as well as the Grant Park condos. ESG is the architect.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 6:59 AM

Nice proposal. Thought this was a good spot for a high-rise though.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 6:24 PM
Architecture/Engineering

Webcam shot from today of LPM Apartments. Curtain wall is beginning to be installed:

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 7:13 PM
Architecture/Engineering

Here's a really nice photo of the Brunsfield Apartments on Washington Avenue taken by dbre2 over at UrbanMSP. The first level is entirely clad in glass and is almost completely transparent through the building. The owner is Malaysian developer Brunsfield's first foray into the North American market. The architect is Julie Snow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest