HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Incandenza View Post
But I don't see how going from 500 hotel units to 100 residential units is going to do anything but reduce foot traffic and the vibrancy of the neighborhood.
U cray cray

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 4:14 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
But I don't see how going from 500 hotel units to 100 residential units is going to do anything but reduce foot traffic and the vibrancy of the neighborhood.
Don't forget the extra retail spaces. That will add a lot of foot traffic.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Plus I was also thinking since it will be the tallest building by roof height in the city for at least a little while, it should certainly attract tourists to it simply to take photographs of it from the outside staring up at its incredible height and width.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 5:11 AM
Come As You Are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
How on earth is that depressing? We get a cool 1400 foot skyscraper instead of some >200 foot art deco building... I love art deco too but NY has so many they're basically dispensable.
Yeah, it wasn't even that special to begin with. There are far better in NYC that look almost the same. No other building looks like 432 Park!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Yeah, it wasn't even that special to begin with. There are far better in NYC that look almost the same. No other building looks like 432 Park!
I agree. It is the 1st of its kind of this look and size combined! The core is 852' 6'' The Perimeter is 806'

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Also, landmarking does nothing to preserve the 500 hotel rooms. That's a totally different issue.

If, in some alternate universe, the Drake had been landmarked, and 432 Park built somewhere else, you would still lose the hotel rooms from the Drake.

The property would eventually have been renovated, like all the other old Midtown hotels (Plaza, Waldorf Astoria, etc.), and like all these hotels, the room count would have shrunk dramatically, and probably would have been partially converted to a few mega-condos on the top floors. That's the highest and best use for old hotel buildings in Manhattan.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 1:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
NYGUY, you assume we're all here for the same reason.
I don't assume anything. I only make my statements based on your own.

Quote:
I may like or dislike the design of a skyscraper, but there are many other factors at play:

1) I believe in reasonable historic preservation. The Drake Hotel had beautiful architecture of the pre war era along with a little bit of history. It should have been landmarked and preserved.
That's arguable, but it didn't happen anyway, so let's move along.

Quote:
2) I support high density that adds to the vibrancy of a neighborhood. It may be subjective but the 495 hotel rooms squats to more diverse group of people in the neighborhood than 99 condo units.

Were it somewhere else besides Manhattan, maybe. And a very iffy maybe at that. You could demolish 10 buildings in the area, and the vibrancy would be the same. Nothing was lost, more is to be gained. People walked by that old hotel, and never gave it a second thought, because Manhattan is covered in such buildings. 432 Park will be one of the skyline markers, seen from around the City and out of it. People will look up at it because it will be one of the wonders of the skyline, same as the original World Trade towers. In that regard, yes, this building brings much more to the area. It's safe to say that if the Drake Hotel still stood today, and there was a thread on the building, we might generate a page of posts. That's also iffy. Because, frankly, no one cared about it, as is usually the case.

Quote:
3) In the case of demolition, what is to be built should be better than what it replaced. I suppose this to can be subjective.
Yes, it is. We're back to your judgment of the design, which is ok. But it is what is is, your judgement.

Quote:
Many cities in China right now are so gung ho to build skyscrapers that there is a rush to demolish anything seen as old and inefficient.

This isn't China.

Quote:
Lastly, I don't appreciate being referred to as a moron for sharing a difference of opinion. It was indirect, but disappointing language from a moderator. I thought was a good forum to discuss highrises and cities, but I see some issues I may have here.
No one called you a moron. The only issue you have is that you can't have a disagreement with someone. Your points were "heard" and answered. Not everyone will agree on everything. What more you want, I don't know. But if your sensibilities are such that you are offended by a simple disagreement, then perhaps you should not be engaging at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Dont ever say historic buildings are dispensable, thats how they become rare, people think theres so many so lets keep tearing them down and before you know it, youve lost a huge amount of history.
This isn't the 60's, the City is not hell bent on some massive urban renewal program. This is New York City. It's well noted for it's density and lack of open spaces, both of which make it the city we know and love. It's also a thriving, growing, and living city, that will continue to renew itself. And to build in this great metropolis, sometimes something else is going to have to give. That's just a fact. Let's all understand this, simply being old does not making something landmark worthy. Especially a city covered in the old.

Quote:
Yes - Midtown is super boring at night and on weekends! What if every office building had ten floors dedicated to residences? It would be a vibrant residential neighborhood in addition to being a CBD. I think that would be pretty cool.

And there is absolutely nothing "moronic" about worrying that this building, despite being a billion feet tall, actually reduces density:

Oh, you people....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
landmarking does nothing to preserve the 500 hotel rooms. That's a totally different issue.

If, in some alternate universe, the Drake had been landmarked, and 432 Park built somewhere else, you would still lose the hotel rooms from the Drake.
Especially with the way the pricing is going in the neighborhood.

The bottom line is this: The Drake Hotel is gone. But so are many other buildings that existed, and guess what folks? New York City still lives, bigger now than ever before!

Now, if folks want to criticize the design of the building, because the Drake was demolished, that's irrational, to put it politely. As I said before, you can most certainly hate the design of this tower, as I'm sure many do. But you cannot justify it by simply saying it replaced a "greater" building. Because that then tells me if you thought a tower of superior design was being built as a replacement, then you're ok with it. And that makes you a hypocrite. So please stop it.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 4:01 PM

432 Park will soon surpass 1 WTC as the tallest building in New York (roof) and will make permanent mark on city's skyline. Regardless if its design is liked or not the tower will be remembered by anyone who visits NYC.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 4:59 PM

Here's the view from my apt in Astoria Queens (near 36th ave N/Q stop):

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
432 Park will soon surpass 1 WTC as the tallest building in New York (roof) and will make permanent mark on city's skyline. Regardless if its design is liked or not the tower will be remembered by anyone who visits NYC.
I just visited from Phoenix and love the design even more now than when I just saw it in photos. It's gorgeous.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone99loc View Post
Here's the view from my apt in Astoria Queens (near 36th ave N/Q stop):

My grandma use to live on Broadway and 29th near the L

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 2:26 AM
BANNED

Is that a power plant? (the smoke stacks)

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
Is that a power plant? (the smoke stacks)
It's the most important power generating station in NYC.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 4:23 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
How on earth is that depressing? We get a cool 1400 foot skyscraper instead of some >200 foot art deco building... I love art deco too but NY has so many they're basically dispensable.
Agreed. The Drake was a pretty interesting building, but this new tower is going to be very very noticeable. It'll be a landmark.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 2:39 PM

they need to raise these cameras! would love to see a current shot from the top of the rock

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:24 PM

Definitely speeding up! last jump was last monday, march 31st, so just four days ago! Looks like spring has arrived with a faster pace of construction, as expected.

With this jump, the core is at 868 ft (264 m) surpassing the Trump International Tower, with a height of 860 ft (toupee included)
(BTW, if you just google the word "toupee" among the images, automatically you will get several picture of Donald's Trump famous hair piece :lol: )

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:52 PM

Yes a core jump is in progress to actual floor 51, or apparent window level 56 and the 56th perimeter beam at 868' The formework for the core extends 5 or 6 feet above that.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 6:23 PM
Editor

This one is really moving quickly.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 9:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Day and night...

chibeba

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 11:07 PM

In a year from now

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive