HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenf View Post
any update on the ZIPAIR NRT-YVR flight? they said the exact date/time of the route would be specified in early December but nothing has been announced further yet.
Should be coming soon.

CTA just granted the license to operate in Canada
https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2023-252
https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2023-251

Last edited by nname; Dec 21, 2023 at 4:43 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 10:19 PM

Great news, I hope Zip Air materializes (even though I'd never even heard of them, and we have very decent service to Tokyo already, still nice to get a new tail).

Not sure if it was mentioned, but Fiji Airways will go up to 3x weekly in peak northern summer (July and August), just as they are doing for peak southern summer (December and January). Little increases sure, but it's still a positive for a new route, and for a carrier like Fiji Airways. They are small and don't have a ton of wide body aircraft to play around with like AC, BA, LH, etc. So any gain is a good sign.

I didn't realize that on Sundays, there is 4x daily to HKG (2x AC and 2x CX). I feel like it's been a while since we've seen that level of frequency. The AC boost to 10x weekly is a nice gain, albeit it is strictly due to the airspace restrictions preventing YYZ. But whatever, it is what it is. We lost our hugely successful AC flights to DEL for the exact same reason, so win some lose some when it comes to the route restrictions I guess. I don't think YUL lost any AC routes due to the Russian airspace ban, but I'm not sure about that, maybe they have? Since the ban only applies to Canadian, American, British and European Union operators, all the Asian airlines can still fly the route (hence AI benefitting on YVR-DEL and CX benefiting on YYZ-HKG)

Old Posted Dec 24, 2023, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
I didn't realize that on Sundays, there is 4x daily to HKG (2x AC and 2x CX). I feel like it's been a while since we've seen that level of frequency. The AC boost to 10x weekly is a nice gain, albeit it is strictly due to the airspace restrictions preventing YYZ.
YYZ-HKG is probably doable, even with the detour around Russia, and is nowhere near as bad as YVR-DEL with the detour. This being said, the yield from YVR is most likely higher, hence why all the flights to HKG are from there.

Same thing for YYZ/YUL-PVG. Both are doable with the detour around Russia, so when Canada-China relations start improving and additional rights are granted, AC could theoretically resume China from all 3 hubs once again, assuming they have the planes for it.

Quote:
I don't think YUL lost any AC routes due to the Russian airspace ban, but I'm not sure about that, maybe they have?
No, I don't believe we have. In fact, one could argue YUL-DEL is sticking around specifically because of the Russian airspace ban. Shortest route to DEL for AC at the moment, thus improving yield.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2023, 9:18 AM

correct me if I'm wrong ...

I know that YVR><BKK is going to be seasonal. But what disappointed me is that YVR><DBX on AC is to be only seasonal also. I often wonder what would have happened to YVR if EK had been granted rights here, in the years back when they were adamantly refused by Ottawa, and so went to Seattle instead. /// Would they have sucked traffic away from our other carriers? // / Was the decision based on the premise that EK was subsidized in fuel by the government in Dubai, and therefore had a profit advantage? /// And so how did YVR wind up with only a seasonal route there, that is forced to jog over Europe, due to Russian restrictions? /// If anyone can tell me, I'm interested. Thank you.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2023, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Great news, I hope Zip Air materializes (even though I'd never even heard of them, and we have very decent service to Tokyo already, still nice to get a new tail).
We have decent service, but the price is going off the roof due to extreme high demand. Maybe this will help with the $3000 round-trip in summer reported by another forumer earlier this year...

Quote:
Not sure if it was mentioned, but Fiji Airways will go up to 3x weekly in peak northern summer (July and August), just as they are doing for peak southern summer (December and January).
I think their ultimate goal is to have 3 weekly year-round. They're about 1/3 of the way there.

Quote:
I didn't realize that on Sundays, there is 4x daily to HKG (2x AC and 2x CX).
Check out Jan 21, there's 5 flights on that day

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I know that YVR><BKK is going to be seasonal. But what disappointed me is that YVR><DBX on AC is to be only seasonal also.
AC simply have no spare plane during the summer. Maybe DXB will go year-round once the 321XLR arrives for the next summer (if there's no delay). Maybe BKK may go year-round as well, as it seems to perform extremely well during the winter season. I've never seen AC boost service to a route 5 times before the season even begin...

Noticed some of the AC long-haul routes have random off-day during the summer. For instance, Jul18 on YVR-NRT, Jul24 Aug12 on YVR-DUB. Other routes in the east includes YYZ-LHR, YUL-FRA, and possibly many more. Is AC fleet THAT constrained that they have to cut random flights in order to squeeze out a couple more weekly flights in the schedule?

Last edited by nname; Dec 24, 2023 at 9:20 PM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2023, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I know that YVR><BKK is going to be seasonal. But what disappointed me is that YVR><DBX on AC is to be only seasonal also. I often wonder what would have happened to YVR if EK had been granted rights here, in the years back when they were adamantly refused by Ottawa, and so went to Seattle instead. /// Would they have sucked traffic away from our other carriers? // / Was the decision based on the premise that EK was subsidized in fuel by the government in Dubai, and therefore had a profit advantage? /// And so how did YVR wind up with only a seasonal route there, that is forced to jog over Europe, due to Russian restrictions? /// If anyone can tell me, I'm interested. Thank you.
I might be wrong about this. Middle East airlines weren’t denied YVR or even YYC. They wanted more Canadian frequencies (which they were granted) and used them all on YYZ/YUL flights. They used the western airports as bait to get more frequencies for the east. If the route was profitable Canadian airlines would be doing it. Middle East airlines just need all the connecting passengers they can get.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2023, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmariner View Post
I might be wrong about this. Middle East airlines weren’t denied YVR or even YYC. They wanted more Canadian frequencies (which they were granted) and used them all on YYZ/YUL flights. They used the western airports as bait to get more frequencies for the east. If the route was profitable Canadian airlines would be doing it. Middle East airlines just need all the connecting passengers they can get.
Interesting synopsis. Thank you for this. I still think YVR could/would/should have a regular, year round service to Qatar or Dubai, though, whatever the airline gets the route.
Six months a year on three-star AC is rather lame.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2023, 5:32 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

American Airlines Adding Charlotte To Vancouver Service In 2024

https://www.wccbcharlotte.com/2023/1...rvice-in-2024/

I don't remember this being talked about here but its a nice addition for sure.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post

It's being talked about in the Canada thread, but looks like no one bother to post it here

In other AA news, looks like they'll increase the red-eye DFW from 4x weekly to daily, and will now run from May to early Sept. YVR-DFW will now be 3x daily through most of the summer season.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
Should be coming soon.

CTA just granted the license to operate in Canada
https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2023-252
https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2023-251
https://www.zipair.net/en/notification/208

ZIPAIR to Launch Inaugural Flight between Tokyo Narita and Vancouver International Airport on March 13, 2024

Quote:
Tokyo, December 27, 2023 – ZIPAIR Tokyo announced that the carrier will expand its transpacific network with service between Tokyo Narita and Vancouver International Airport, starting March 13, 2024.
The service to Vancouver will become the carrier`s fourth route across the Pacific, following Los Angeles, San José Mineta, and San Francisco International Airport. Reservations and ticket sales will begin today at 12:00 Japan Standard Time.

※Airfares shown above are per seat / one-way fares.
※In addition to the airfare, airport charges, fees, and taxes are required.
※Each fare includes a maximum of 7kg of carry-on baggage allowance.
※Additional fees apply for optional services, including checked baggage, inflight meals, etc.
※Carrier does not impose a fuel surcharge.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post

Very glad to see this, but disappointed that it will only be seasonal. Charlotte is listed as a tourist destination, plus transfer hub to points south, but it is also the HQ of the Bank of America, and major banking hub. There might be a niche market for financier types here, you never know.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 12:39 AM

I have to say, I am liking the shift away from RJ's from airlines like United, just from an AV geek POV. I have no idea about the comfort/newness/better experience, I just like the move to all mainline and full size jets instead of RJs. AC still has RJ flights of course, but have upgraded

Small change on YVR-ORD on Air Canada. It had still been showing as one of the very few A319 routes up until recently. But it is now 737 Max, which is the vast majority of AC's mainline transborder service. YVR-DEN might be the only non-737 route, it is operated by an A320. Not sure if that will change just like ORD did, but the AC mainline network is definitely 737 dominant. UA is now all 737 in peak season as well, and of course WS is all 737. Those three are the majority of transborder service, so having them all 737 is noticeable.

I think YVR-YEG is our only AC 319 route now, operating 9x daily in summer. YVR-YYC is all 737, YVR-YYZ and YUL are mixed bags, but generally the smallest aircraft on YYZ is the A321, and for YUL it is the 737. Does anyone know where else the 319 is operating? According to AC's website, they have 5 in their fleet. I think YVR-YEG requires two A319s, and they just go back and forth operating the 9x daily flights. But really don't know any other routes that are on 319, please reply if you know!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 1:20 AM

Quote:
I think YVR-YEG requires two A319s, and they just go back and forth operating the 9x daily flights. But really don't know any other routes that are on 319, please reply if you know!
YYZ-ATL
YYZ-YQX
YYZ-YQY

As for the A320... other than YVR-DEN and the obvious YVR-YWG, surprisingly YVR-SFO also gets them for the next summer.

The smallest aircraft for YUL is generally the A223. But doesn't seems like AC will use them on YVR-YUL for next summer. This means YVR will NOT see an A223 at all during peak summer, after B6 switch back to A320 by mid-June. I guess we'll have to wait a few more years until AC base some of those A223 here at YVR, which will probably work better for routes like BOS, AUS, and MIA...

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 3:43 AM

AC Max8 V A223

I don't know how I corrupted the Nname post I was replying to:

"........ until AC base some of those A223 here at YVR, which will probably work better for routes like BOS, AUS, and MIA...[/QUOTE]

And YVR-IAD. The 7M8 we rode Oct 29 had approx 100 px while the incoming return aircraft (YVR-IAD) on Nov 03 had 60. Our IAD-YVR that day had 80. Perhaps ok for a new route but I'm thinking the yearend accounts would look better with the 223.

On the other hand, the AC 7M8 YVR-DEN on Nov 25 was 3 seats short of 100%. It seems DEN is fulfilling an expanded transfer-role.

Last edited by YVR Bruce; Jan 2, 2024 at 3:55 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVR Bruce View Post
I don't know how I corrupted the Nname post I was replying to:

"........ until AC base some of those A223 here at YVR, which will probably work better for routes like BOS, AUS, and MIA...

And YVR-IAD. The 7M8 we rode Oct 29 had approx 100 px while the incoming return aircraft (YVR-IAD) on Nov 03 had 60. Our IAD-YVR that day had 80. Perhaps ok for a new route but I'm thinking the yearend accounts would look better with the 223.

On the other hand, the AC 7M8 YVR-DEN on Nov 25 was 3 seats short of 100%. It seems DEN is fulfilling an expanded transfer-role.[/QUOTE]

Going to point out WestJet did terrible on IAD too summer 2023 out of Calgary too. It was there worst performing transborder route.

Looks like everyone is back to trying to route again in 2024 so lets see how it goes, but I assume it will remain weak across the board.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 6:03 PM

Minister of Transport announces funding to increase cargo volume capacity and efficiency at the Vancouver International Airport

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-c...l-airport.html

Quote:
An efficient and reliable transportation system is essential to making life more affordable for Canadians. The Government of Canada is committed to ensuring our supply chains support economic growth and create good, middle-class jobs for Canadians, while ensuring they are resilient and adaptive to the impacts of climate change.

Today, the Minister of Transport, Pablo Rodriguez, announced an investment of up to $74.3 million under the National Trade Corridors Fund for an expansion at the Vancouver International Airport. This will equip the airport to handle more cargo, as well as improve its facilities and efficiency, and reduce pollution.

This project will enable the movement of larger aircraft between cargo facilities and the runway. It will:

*increase parking space capacity to accommodate four additional widebody freighter aircraft;
*upgrade an access road; and
*prepare the site for the construction of a new air cargo warehouse.

This project will also support business growth of Canadian carriers, including Air Canada, WestJet and Cargojet. It is estimated that the project will reduce truck travel by up to 229 million kilometres over 30 years because local exporters will not need to transport their products to an airport further away. This will improve highway safety and reduce GHG emissions.

The goods exported through Vancouver International Airport support key economic growth in sectors such as advanced manufacturing and pharmaceuticals. In addition, traditional sectors such as agriculture and fisheries need reliable air cargo export shipments to ensure perishable items can reach global markets in a timely manner.

In total, improvements will boost the airport’s cargo capacity by 160,000 tonnes, representing a $22 billion increase to Canada’s trade potential annually.

Moreover, by making room for fuel-efficient widebody freighter aircraft at the terminal, pollution generated by the movement of air cargo through Vancouver International Airport will be reduced by up to 25 percent. It will enable the airport to handle more air cargo while also helping create a greener transportation system in Canada.

The Government of Canada continues to take action by strengthening the country’s supply chains, to promote economic growth and enhance the opportunities for our businesses to expand into global markets. This represents another long-term commitment to work with stakeholders on strategic infrastructure projects to address transportation bottlenecks, vulnerabilities, and congestion along Canada’s trade corridors.
I guess it's safe to assume that the new cargo expansions will be happening along the north side of the north runway once the new Ferguson road alignment is completed. Does anybody know when the new road is supposed to be completed ?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 11:52 PM

Hey guys quick question to those more av-geeky than myself.

I saw the other day that Lynx is running same plane service from YVR-YYC-YQB. I also saw that the flights are 3x from YVR and 5x from YYC.

My question is, with multiple flights from YVR-YYC per day, why wouldn't all 5 flights allow for this one plane service. Seems kinda like a no-brainer to me.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmonkey View Post

Going to point out WestJet did terrible on IAD too summer 2023 out of Calgary too. It was there worst performing transborder route.
It did so terribly that WS is resuming the route 2 weeks earlier this summer.

Well it was last among the Transborder network out of YYC, it still averaged about 77-80% and I wouldn't necessarily call that "terrible". Interestingly UA currently has YYC-IAD on sale/loaded for next winter.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Hey guys quick question to those more av-geeky than myself.

I saw the other day that Lynx is running same plane service from YVR-YYC-YQB. I also saw that the flights are 3x from YVR and 5x from YYC.

My question is, with multiple flights from YVR-YYC per day, why wouldn't all 5 flights allow for this one plane service. Seems kinda like a no-brainer to me.
Guess they're adding one additional plane at YVR.. Running 4x weekly YVR-YYC-YOW, and 3x weekly YVR-YYC-YQB.

Also, looks like they are adding 3x weekly YVR-YQR-YYZ.

==============================

From May to Sept, looks like UA will be adding daily YVR-IAD red-eye flight. This is on top of the daily morning flight offered by AC.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakafi_81 View Post
[SIZE="4"]I guess it's safe to assume that the new cargo expansions will be happening along the north side of the north runway once the new Ferguson road alignment is completed. Does anybody know when the new road is supposed to be completed ?
Seems like they had a "rough" grading of the new road so I think they are still several months away from completion. They said April is the target date

https://news.yvr.ca/ferguson-road-improvement-work/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure