HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 2:43 AM

Lol? Car sharing works well in conjunction with bike sharing and public transit, so I would encourage the City to get involved. People who use car sharing drive less, and utilize other forms of transportation more. The city functions better with car sharing.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Lol? Car sharing works well in conjunction with bike sharing and public transit, so I would encourage the City to get involved. People who use car sharing drive less, and utilize other forms of transportation more. The city functions better with car sharing.
No thanks, I don't want my tax dollars going to subsidize car-sharing especially on the heels of a 7% rise in property taxes. If you can't afford to drive, buy a bike.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I'm not surprised, given the amount of Evo accidents I've personally witnessed. I'd love to see the ICBC accident claims against them.
Car share drivers seem to drive like they're in a video game - maybe because they aren't regular drivers (?)

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 5:29 AM

I think it's those little smart cars. They're like go carts. I drive my own mid size car and Car2Go Smart cars. 2 entirely different driving experiences.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 6:04 AM

Car2Go is pulling out because they see the writing is on the wall. Except in special circumstances, when would someone use car share where they have to drive and park when they know they can just take an Uber and a Lyft. The only reason why they did well for so long here was because our politicians and the taxi lobby kept rideshare out for so long.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
Car2Go is pulling out because they see the writing is on the wall. Except in special circumstances, when would someone use car share where they have to drive and park when they know they can just take an Uber and a Lyft. The only reason why they did well for so long here was because our politicians and the taxi lobby kept rideshare out for so long.
I don't think they're pulling out of Vancouver because Uber and Lyft are setting up. It's a broader problem - until the fall they were operating in Denver, Austin, Portland, Calgary, Chicago, Montreal, New York, Seattle, Washington D.C. as well as Vancouver - and I'm guessing they all had rideshare. Unlike Uber and Lyft they had a business model that was based on making a return on their capital. It's hard to do that in markets that rely on offering a heavily subsidized (loss making) service in the hope of getting an operational monopoly. Existing rideshare operations aren't sustainable at the prices they charge, but the operators have been able to raise billions to cover their losses. The car share operators weren't willing to operate on that basis.

With Zipcar, Modo and Evo continuing to operate in Vancouver, it's not like car share is disappearing - just one of the businesses (and the one that was facing greatest change anyway, with no more Smart cars in the fleet in future).

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 8:26 AM

I heard car-shares were in the kahoots with the taxi industry lobbying against ride hailing.

Not surprised to hear about weakness for the operators, modo made some pretty huge changes to their pricing model last year.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
it might just be the economics of car share doesn't work.
I don't know if the assertion is true, but on the news today an industry expert of sorts said that car2go had never made a profit.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
I don't think they're pulling out of Vancouver because Uber and Lyft are setting up. It's a broader problem - until the fall they were operating in Denver, Austin, Portland, Calgary, Chicago, Montreal, New York, Seattle, Washington D.C. as well as Vancouver - and I'm guessing they all had rideshare. Unlike Uber and Lyft they had a business model that was based on making a return on their capital. It's hard to do that in markets that rely on offering a heavily subsidized (loss making) service in the hope of getting an operational monopoly. Existing rideshare operations aren't sustainable at the prices they charge, but the operators have been able to raise billions to cover their losses. The car share operators weren't willing to operate on that basis.

With Zipcar, Modo and Evo continuing to operate in Vancouver, it's not like car share is disappearing - just one of the businesses (and the one that was facing greatest change anyway, with no more Smart cars in the fleet in future).
In general you could say that they did well in markets alongside ride share but it would probably need more detailed breakdowns of the markets.

Vancouver having the largest North American Car2Go vehicle count versus all those other cities might have not happened with ride share. (Especially if you add in Evo with approx 1500, Zip 200 and Modo 600)

The former Car2Go regional director said there are only single market margins and that Vancouver was profitable.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
In general you could say that they did well in markets alongside ride share but it would probably need more detailed breakdowns of the markets.

Vancouver having the largest North American Car2Go vehicle count versus all those other cities might have not happened with ride share. (Especially if you add in Evo with approx 1500, Zip 200 and Modo 600)

The former Car2Go regional director said there are only single market margins and that Vancouver was profitable.
Worth noting that Car2Go was still about 25% cheaper than Evo, when using the smart cars. And the same price as Evo for driving their Benz vehicles. It's not hard to see how you might lose money on a new Benz car vs. a Toyota Prius C.

Modo still "makes money" essentially with the goal of being breakeven and keeping rates as low as possible. They are a special case but I think the business model is viable.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Car share drivers seem to drive like they're in a video game - maybe because they aren't regular drivers (?)
It's the per-minute metering. When my wife passed away I lost the use of our vehicle for a while because I couldn't renew the insurance as it was registered in her name. So I signed up for Car2Go.

In theory, for the amount of driving I was doing, Car2Go was cheaper than buying, insuring and maintaining my own vehicle. But man, I found that the per-minute charge really applies pressure and stress when you're out there in stop-and-go traffic.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
In addition, Modo, Evo and Zip work with City Planning and developers to essentially pay for their cars and stalls over the years too. Not sure about Car2Go.

Routinely we pay Modo, for instance, for the car, memberships of tenants, and give them a parking stall and electrical plug-in as the fleet moves to electric. Then Modo might supply memberships to new area memebers and it's kind of just a big win for Modo.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 8:42 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
It's the per-minute metering. When my wife passed away I lost the use of our vehicle for a while because I couldn't renew the insurance as it was registered in her name. So I signed up for Car2Go.

In theory, for the amount of driving I was doing, Car2Go was cheaper than buying, insuring and maintaining my own vehicle. But man, I found that the per-minute charge really applies pressure and stress when you're out there in stop-and-go traffic.
Sorry to hear about your loss

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
In addition, Modo, Evo and Zip work with City Planning and developers to essentially pay for their cars and stalls over the years too. Not sure about Car2Go.

Routinely we pay Modo, for instance, for the car, memberships of tenants, and give them a parking stall and electrical plug-in as the fleet moves to electric. Then Modo might supply memberships to new area memebers and it's kind of just a big win for Modo.
Who is we?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
Who is we?
I think he said it in the first sentence.

Details:

https://modo.coop/modo-in-condos/for...opers/benefits

https://www.bcbusiness.ca/vancouver-...of-car-sharing

https://www.vancourier.com/car-shari...oard-1.2060990

Also, Car2Go is slowly going to start removing cars from the fleet so it'll probably be less useful in the next month or two.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 4:37 AM

I wonder how fast Evo can deploy a few hundred more cars.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I wonder how fast Evo can deploy a few hundred more cars.
Would depend on how much capital Evo has access to in order to lease/finance the new cars, and how quickly a manufacturer can deliver them.

300 cars of one type and configuration in a region in a few months is a tall order, even for larger fleet customers; even rental car agencies avoid being bottle necked like this by diversifying the fleet.

Also, I believe the Prius C has also been recently discontinued by Toyota; the most direct replacement would be the Corolla Hybrid. Evo might take the opportunity to review what would be the best option moving forward and see if another car manufacturer is willing to cut them a decent deal.

The most obvious solution for Evo would be to probably accelerate rolling out more vehicles as it can get them, while slowing down or halting retirements by extending service life.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastEcho View Post
Would depend on how much capital Evo has access to in order to lease/finance the new cars, and how quickly a manufacturer can deliver them.

300 cars of one type and configuration in a region in a few months is a tall order, even for larger fleet customers; even rental car agencies avoid being bottle necked like this by diversifying the fleet.

Also, I believe the Prius C has also been recently discontinued by Toyota; the most direct replacement would be the Corolla Hybrid. Evo might take the opportunity to review what would be the best option moving forward and see if another car manufacturer is willing to cut them a decent deal.

The most obvious solution for Evo would be to probably accelerate rolling out more vehicles as it can get them, while slowing down or halting retirements by extending service life.
Evo is owned by BCAA so I'm sure they have the capital if they think it's worthwhile. I didn't know that about the Prius C, but I'm sure Evo did. They're probably already prepping for a move to the Corolla.

That, or simply folding up, who knows.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Evo is owned by BCAA so I'm sure they have the capital if they think it's worthwhile. I didn't know that about the Prius C, but I'm sure Evo did. They're probably already prepping for a move to the Corolla.

That, or simply folding up, who knows.
That or, they could purchase Hyundai Ioniq Hybrids; Hyundai is usually better and more aggressive at fleet sales compared to Toyota, so they may get a better deal there.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post

Not certain how front and center that is for most people. I don't think about it that way. That said I use to use Car2Go as a convenient way to get to from the airport for a flight. Always cheaper than taxi or parking my own car. Used it one for a business meeting out is Langley when my car would not start, convenient and not much more than the cost of a rental car for the 24 hours.

That said, one time I used a Car2Go in Toronto, (one of the high end cars, without the labelling on the side). Picked it up in a downtown lot the glove compartment was full of parking tickets. No idea how that works.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure