HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 1:09 PM

April progress

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 6:43 AM

Wow! Looks great!

Can't wait to be done soon.

Get it done! ASAP.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
April progress

that's pretty compact for 42,000 people. the sight lines are going to be among the best in baseball!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 5:41 PM

Bad team, bad investment
Liberty Media didn't want to invest (buy the talent) and cashed out on the backs of Cobb taxpayers. Glad I don't live there.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 7:09 PM

Honestly, it's way short of the mark that Turner Field set for grandeur and stature. Turner Field is awe inspiring in size & scope, this thing is cliche and thin. Turner Field said "National League... big league" while SunTrust says "American League wanna be major league city", like something Charlotte would build. A better plan would have been to re-route MARTA and create a mass transit environment much easier to develop such a large area.

Last edited by ThrashATL; Apr 24, 2016 at 8:06 PM. Reason: marta add

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 11:40 PM

Agreed!!

ThrashATL: I agree completely. Nothing near Turner Field in scale, look or grandeur even with the battery......who cares about it anyway! Having lived a few blocks from stadium for 13 years now though.....good riddance!! Enjoy Cobb! The stadium won't do a damn thing for the area but bring it down in the long run and yes I love baseball and go to games but won't once they move unless taking someone from out of town.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 1:39 PM

Now, the other side of the coin, the Mercedes Benz Stadium replacing the Georgia Dome is a step up. Going to the building itself will be an event, regardless of what you're doing inside it. Back when the Georgia Dome was proposed, the original design was so much more than what we ended up with. Nearly all the concourse glass was deleted, the large four corner lobbies with ground to roof glass were eliminated. There really isn't anything endearing about the dome the way it is now to make people sentimental about it. That being said, it's still a tremendous waste to tear it down.

Some of the ideas to renovate the GA Dome before the decision to build new. A large east/west video board. Natural light openings along the top ring. A large eastern glass lobby with a window to downtown (the four corners were originally supposed to be like this).

The original renderings of the SunTrust Park were much more encouraging than the current design under construction. They seriously backslid on the nice and crammed in the corporate nonsense like Comcast.

Last edited by ThrashATL; Apr 25, 2016 at 3:19 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 10:54 PM

I assume they were going for an intimate, neighborhood ballpark feel. But given the location and design, the results seem more of the small, cheesy, and contrived variety. Fuqua may be having trouble leasing "The Battery" since they just brought in a former North American Properties leasing exec.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I assume they were going for an intimate, neighborhood ballpark feel. But given the location and design, the results seem more of the small, cheesy, and contrived variety. Fuqua may be having trouble leasing "The Battery" since they just brought in a former North American Properties leasing exec.
I agree with all of yall. I hate the Braves for leaving the city. I just think the new park will be a good place to watch the game. I'll probably only attend one game just to see the stadium.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlHeel View Post
I agree with all of yall. I hate the Braves for leaving the city. I just think the new park will be a good place to watch the game. I'll probably only attend one game just to see the stadium.
I would have preferred they stay in the city but I don't really hate the Braves for moving. I honestly don't think it will matter much in the long run. I just question whether this new mixed use development is going to work as they hoped.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 1:26 AM

All that being said, I'll still wait for a final verdict once the thing is done, opened and operating. It may surprise us but I really hate the location. Not that it's in Cobb but the area around it is a madhouse of congestion. If I came back to Atlanta and went to a game, it'd be a 1PM Sunday game.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 1:55 AM
BANNED

Take a cautiously optimistic approach to this development. I drove out their a couple of weeks ago and the whole area is under construction. Just about every major road in the Cumberland area is getting upgraded with regard to infrastructure and landscape. As much as I have hated this part of town the past, my opinion is changing - quickly.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 5:49 PM

Baseball economics

A portion of profits from baseball operations (tickets, tv, concessions, parking) goes into an MLB revenue-sharing kitty for unprofitable / small market teams. The purpose of this is to keep all teams in the majors reasonably competitive.

That's not the case with profits from non-baseball operations - e.g. real estate development. Hence, the SF Giants are putting a mixed use development in parking lot A. Unlike SunTrust, however, the Giants park is central and pretty well-served by transit, (light rail, Caltrain, ferries, a pleasant walk down the Embarcadero from BART).

The reduction in seating capacity from 49,500 to 41,000 will help sell full / partial season ticket plans. Fans don't buy season tix when single game walk-up tix are always available.

Hate to see the Braves bail for the 'burbs though, as the game day vibe (81 times a year) around the Giants Park, Fenway, Wrigley - and probably others that I haven't experienced - is really fun. Unlike Dodger Stadium where fans drive in, park, eat a Dodger dog, and split before the stretch to beat traffic.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 6:02 PM

^

if this move can can help establish some form of high speed transit line connecting the cumberland district to marta or atlanta, i'm ok with it. that area is already a rather substantial center of gravity that should be connected to everything else by now, and its located in one of the prettiest parts of the metro. (especially in/near atlanta)

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
Honestly, it's way short of the mark that Turner Field set for grandeur and stature. Turner Field is awe inspiring in size & scope, this thing is cliche and thin. Turner Field said "National League... big league" while SunTrust says "American League wanna be major league city", like something Charlotte would build. A better plan would have been to re-route MARTA and create a mass transit environment much easier to develop such a large area.

Totally disagree. Turner Field never had a reputation of being one of the nicest ballparks in the MLB. We have a chance with this new stadium. From the way the pavilion seats embrace the field to the stands behind home plate. Also, everything within the park has more of a wow presence. This will be a beauty for Atlanta (Cobb).

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Totally disagree. Turner Field never had a reputation of being one of the nicest ballparks in the MLB. We have a chance with this new stadium. From the way the pavilion seats embrace the field to the stands behind home plate. Also, everything within the park has more of a wow presence. This will be a beauty for Atlanta (Cobb).
Enjoy ur Dodger Dog! C ya on 285 in the 8th.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahanakorn View Post
Doesn't make much sense.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahanakorn View Post
Guess what? D-Backs swept Braves. Sorry, Guys!

I knows your Atlanta Braves have a bad teams and they didn't win a game at all.

I think Fredi Gonzalez will fired. It's time. He had to go. It's long overdue!

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 5:31 AM

It's the stingy owners not Fredi. Fredi can only work with what they give him.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 2:34 AM

The new gigapixel camera they have at Suntrust is pretty sweet

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta