HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 10:24 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Smile NEW YORK | 137 Centre Street | FT | FLOORS

Thomas Juul-Hansen-Designed Residential Tower Proposed At 137 Centre Street, Chinatown

Quote:
A rendering for a new Lower Manhattan skyscraper by architect Thomas Juul-Hansen has appeared on the YIMBY Forums. The building is located on the corner of White and Centre streets, at 137 Centre Street, just to the east of TriBeCa. Juul-Hansen’s rendering would indicate the potential for a 60-story building on a 5,100-square-foot lot. The tower would be located on a site that has significant air rights within its own block, with 75,530 square feet remaining atop the landmarked Fire Engine Company No. 31 at 87 Lafayette Street, and an additional 81,940 square feet atop 139 Centre Street. If the existing nine-story municipal office building at 137 Centre is demolished, the available air rights would total 208,470 square feet. Per the EDC, “Negotiations around the 137 Centre Street RFP are ongoing, and this rendering does not accurately reflect the project under consideration. NYCEDC looks forward to announcing a developer selection in the coming months.”
=====================
NYY

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 11:00 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Just want to note this:

Quote:
Per the EDC, “Negotiations around the 137 Centre Street RFP are ongoing, and this rendering does not accurately reflect the project under consideration. NYCEDC looks forward to announcing a developer selection in the coming months.
So while it looks like dog shit now (the design), it will change in its appearance. In terms of tower foresight, neighborhoods that have been predominantly mid/low will start to see more towers. Bound to happen due to land and demand. If its not landmarked, its gone!!!

And as soon as we get that putz Deblasio out of office, and get a mayor who's a little more serious about zoning, we might just... possibly... see an impact in feeding the commercial/residential demand. Even with all of this construction, its not enough. Especially in the housing sector. 2016 looks to be underwhelming in terms of residential filings compared to last years Quarters 1 and 2.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
So while it looks like dog shit now (the design),
I would LOVE to see that design in that location.

Thomas Juul Hansen does a great job with subtle Nordic designs. His High Line buildings have exquisite facades. But I love modernism.

In any case, an 800 ft.+ tower in that location will be welcome.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 3:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
And as soon as we get that putz Deblasio out of office, and get a mayor who's a little more serious about zoning, we might just... possibly... see an impact in feeding the commercial/residential demand. Even with all of this construction, its not enough. Especially in the housing sector. 2016 looks to be underwhelming in terms of residential filings compared to last years Quarters 1 and 2.

Thus is way off base. Let's just leave personal politics out of these discussions. There are more appropiate threads where that can be debated.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 4:16 PM
Show me the blueprints

DeBlasio a "putz"? Are your u living in the same dimension as the rest of us where an orange faced Mussolini admiring man baby with a fox tail on his head is running to be president of the United States? And DeBlasio is the putz... Riggghht.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 11:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I would LOVE to see that design in that location.

Thomas Juul Hansen does a great job with subtle Nordic designs. His High Line buildings have exquisite facades. But I love modernism.

In any case, an 800 ft.+ tower in that location will be welcome.
Yeah I think I might have come off as harsh lol. What I meant now that I'm in a better mood (had a 18 hour work day yesterday; so excuse the De Blasio rant ), was that this design will probably look better once we get closer or better renderings to see the detail.

I'm glad it's in Chinatown too. Its always cool when low rises intermingle with soaring towers. I'm also a big fan of Lower Manhattan so its good to see its spread. The skyline will have a bigger dynamic with towers reaching out into Chinatown and the Lower East Side (LES).

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 3:11 AM
New Yorker for life

Come on with the political talk.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 3:44 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

this is a great design and sited in a good spot for a tower like this right on the edge of chinatown. i wish the roof was a little jazzier than an abrupt flat top though.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals