HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandreL View Post

Business #2 - Money To Loan pawn shop at 831???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post

That's the 800 block of West Third, the other side of Bunker Hill from downtown. The theater next door is the Lux.
Well done to Beaudry and GW for identifying AlexandreL's locations so quickly. The 1956 CD lists the 'Money to Loan' building at 831 as Eddie's Loan, complete with the MAdison 8431 phone number. The premises on the left was the Fig Leaf Cafe at 833, but there's no listing for the store with the "Herman's Cafe" neon sign in the window.

LAPL

Just along the street, The Rollin Apartments used to stand at the corner of Flower and W 3rd. USC date this picture as 1900-1909. The stores on the first floor are Sawyer's Vienna Bakery, Thompson, Long & Co. Plumbing & Hardware (at 803 W 3rd - the only store with a visible street number), and the Angelus Pharmacy on the corner. There's also an entrance marked 'Restaurant and Cafe' about halfway up the hill side of the apartments. The Rollin itself was at 247 S Flower.

USC Digital Library

Working from the 1923 CD, the small building to the right of The Rollin is the Bozwell at 245 S Flower, while the larger building up the hill is the St Regis at 237 S Flower.

LAPL

I only found a passing reference to the St Regis Apartments on NLA (not to be confused with the St Regis Hotel on W 6th which later became the Teris), so here's a front view. A little of the Bozwell is just visible at the left.
NB. I've played around with the contrast on this image as the original was a little washed out.

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 5:06 PM

Which way to Grand Central [Burbank airport]?

1948 - Between Fair Oaks and Raymond Ave. http://collection.pasadenadigitalhis...8/id/374/rec/6

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 5:22 PM

Out of my way!

Nothing like a good chariot race (that predates De Mille's '25 Ben Hur). Part of Pasadena's Tournament of Roses.

http://waterandpower.org/Historical_..._Race_1908.jpg

http://waterandpower.org/1%20Histori...ment_Park2.jpg

http://collection.pasadenadigitalhis.../id/500/rec/12

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post
Date derived from source. Boyle-Dayton is listed in '29 city directory, so maybe there was some lag time during transition?
Who really knows? The acquisition by Wayne didn't take place until Oct., 1928 which could explain the date questions. Might be interesting to find a photo of the same building a year or two later to see if the signage had been changed.

GW came up with a newspaper article announcing the acquisition which contained the usual Corporate statement that nothing was going to really change. ( how many times has that been heard before in buyouts?) On the other hand, various citations on collector sites would imply that manufacturing of Wayne's more advance design would be manufactured there while others imply manufacturing was totally moved to Wayne, Indiana; implying that a somewhat obsolete design would continue to be made. That really makes little sense! What is even more curious is that Wayne supposedly re-birthed the visible type pump for a short period of time after WWII. That makes even less sense.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 5:33 PM

Talking

Quote:
Hello all.

I own a website whose purpose is to find filming locations from past and present movies. I am currently working on finding locations for Stanley Kubrick's 1956 movie The Killing. This film features a few shots from vintage L.A.. I was wondering if someone on here could help me locate specific places.

Business #1 - Culligan Soft Water Service

Hint: Address is 1309.

Business #2 - Money To Loan pawn shop at 831???

The second picture is basically the camera looking right. I couldn't find anything about any "Herman's Cafe" in the L.A. area. There seems to be a theater to the right, but which one? Hard to tell.

I suspect this would be around downtown L.A.

Thanks for any help provided.
================================================

I don't suppose anyone noticed who's playing at the LUX......besides the Burlesque act, of course !!!!!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 5:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by malumot View Post

I don't suppose anyone noticed who's playing at the LUX......besides the Burlesque act, of course !!!!!
I did not notice that but I do now....

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
LB

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jun 4, 2014 at 1:15 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 9:05 PM

Quote:
mine
Back in the thread somewhere there was a discussion started about what those flag banners draped across many a street in pictures we've seen signified. I don't recall any answers being proferred. Does anyone know?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 9:14 PM

A couple of additonal glimpses of the St. Regis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I only found a passing reference to the St Regis Apartments on NLA
Looking west on 3rd Street from Cinnabar, 1906

Wonderful early shot looking west down 3rd Street (left edge) and of the Rangeley Apartments on the NW corner of 3rd and Cinnabar Streets (Cinnabar runs across the bottom just out-of-frame). Far side of the Rangeley is on Flower Street and next corner is Figueroa. The St. Regis, at 237 S. Flower, is seen right center with the flatish corner turret, next door to the left is just a glimpse of the top of the hipp-roofed Bozwell, at 245 S. Flower, with the single cupola and next to it (still going to the left) is the Rollin Apartments with the outsized rooftop solarium at 247 S. Flower (NW corner of Flower and 3rd). Taken from the top of the 3rd Street tunnel.

USC digital archive/Title Insurance and Trust, and C.C. Pierce Photography Collection, 1860-1960

Looking south down Flower Street, 1950

Looking south down Flower Street in the 200 block through the 1950 haze. Van Fleet Apartments on the left, tile-roofed St. Regis down the block on the right and just a sliver of the Marcella on the right edge. One of our Yellow Cabs headed down to the intersection with 3rd Street at the bottom of the slope.

LAPL

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Well done to Beaudry and GW for identifying AlexandreL's locations so quickly. The 1956 CD lists the 'Money to Loan' building at 831 as Eddie's Loan, complete with the MAdison 8431 phone number. The premises on the left was the Fig Leaf Cafe at 833, but there's no listing for the store with the "Herman's Cafe" neon sign in the window.

LAPL

Just along the street, The Rollin Apartments used to stand at the corner of Flower and W 3rd. USC date this picture as 1900-1909. The stores on the first floor are Sawyer's Vienna Bakery, Thompson, Long & Co. Plumbing & Hardware (at 803 W 3rd - the only store with a visible street number), and the Angelus Pharmacy on the corner. There's also an entrance marked 'Restaurant and Cafe' about halfway up the hill side of the apartments. The Rollin itself was at 247 S Flower.
Thanks HC! As long as we're on the subject of this part of the world --

Here's a comparison of the 1914 and 1921 Baist's map (courtesy of our good friends at historicmapworks).

Eddie's Loan/Fig Leaf were in an apartment house called The Jonathan, apparently. (Note that the Bozwell was called the Veranda. Bonus St Regis factoid -- Jack Webb grew up there from 1921-38 in #339, living with his mother and grandmother.)

Now, see where Cinnabar dead-ends at Third? Right into a theater in 1914, that has become a garage by 1921. That's the Tunnel Theater, so named because of its proximity to the tunnel, natch. This theater, or at least the garage, because that's what it had been turned into, is seen in another movie (AlexandreL, take note!) for here is a screengrab from the 1959 Corman picture Bucket of Blood. The Tunnel, aka 712 W Third, is the building with the rounded arch atop.

gsjansesn

The Lux would be across the street and down a block -- not quite visible, but here's a shot of the greater area:

calstatelibrary

Sometimes I find a useful way to wrap your head around a problem of neighborhood is to visit the local Giant Model of Downtown in 1940...here we are looking up Third toward the tunnel.

831-35 bottom center, Rollin at intersection of 3rd & Flower near top-center/right. Note in the two preceding shots the Rollin (compare here) has had an extra story added and her bays shaved off.

Anyway, I think I have another movie starring Eddie's Loan! Well, starring is a strong word, and it's not really a movie. Still, about fifteen minutes into Subject: Narcotics there's this five-second shot --

Seems like it. Five black tiles high in both, perhaps, the glass, the opening...in 1951 they had the red sign and by 1956 they had the cut-out letters and those grill-fins (whatever they are)?

Speaking of locations, a fave scene in Subject is when the hype and his pusher get busted. From 15:00-17:00, it's right outside the Chestmere Apts, NE corner of Court & Grand:

mine

Note that when officers turn north on Grand you can glimpse the St Angelo in the distance:

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Glad there's another fan! My buddy Richard does the Broadway on My Mind walking tours, and last Sunday I joined him for an RB Young-themed jaunt where we took folk to the Carr and Barker Bros, and there'll be another one the end of this month too, where we go the other way up Broadway. They're free, come on by!

We're also in the starting processes of blogging the works of RBY -- when we get the first post up, Noirish will be the first to know...
Sounds like fun! Those of us who are local really ought to be meeting up more often anyway, when possible. If I can get the day off work - I'm in!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 11:52 PM
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
Out of my way!

Nothing like a good chariot race (that predates De Mille's '25 Ben Hur). Part of Pasadena's Tournament of Roses.

http://waterandpower.org/Historical_..._Race_1908.jpg

http://waterandpower.org/1%20Histori...ment_Park2.jpg

http://collection.pasadenadigitalhis.../id/500/rec/12

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

The Culligan building was at 1307-09 West 39th Street. The building is still there...

It's basically unrecognizable; really the only clue is what appears to be a vent at the upper left of the façade:
Quote:
You're quite welcome! That's the 800 block of West Third, the other side of Bunker Hill from downtown. The theater next door is the Lux.

Here's a later shot -- 6/65 -- with, sadly, the 831 "Money to Loan" building already demo'd. This is about mid-way between Figueroa and Flower.

While The Killing made it into Jim Dawson's excellent book on Bunker noir (The Mission Apts, etc.) I don't believe this location did, which is a shame. Second edition!
Removed the pictures not to have a mile long post, but one word: amazing! I didn't expect to get a response so early!

Quote:
Link for your website?
Since you asked for it.

www.themoviedistrict.com

Launched six months ago, covering 200+ movies so far but there's still lots of work to do.

I usually wait until I have discovered at least 75% of a movie's locations before turning the information into an article. Thanks to you guys, my quota has now been reached for The Killing. Credit will be given to those who helped!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Removed the pictures not to have a mile long post, but one word: amazing! I didn't expect to get a response so early!

Since you asked for it.

www.themoviedistrict.com

Launched six months ago, covering 200+ movies so far but there's still lots of work to do.

I usually wait until I have discovered at least 75% of a movie's locations before turning the information into an article. Thanks to you guys, my quota has now been reached for The Killing. Credit will be given to those who helped!
Cool! Thanks for posting the link! I'm always happy to find more filming locations hunters.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 4:45 AM

Grand Central

Quote:
Which way to Grand Central [Burbank airport]?

1948 - Between Fair Oaks and Raymond Ave. http://collection.pasadenadigitalhis...8/id/374/rec/6

Grand Central Air Terminal is not Burbank Airport, although that's what it says on the Pasadena History Museum site. Burbank's airport was Lockheed Air Terminal. Grand Central was in Glendale, and it's the airport used in many films, including Casablanca.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis View Post
Grand Central Air Terminal is not Burbank Airport, although that's what it says on the Pasadena History Museum site. Burbank's airport was Lockheed Air Terminal. Grand Central was in Glendale, and it's the airport used in many films, including Casablanca.
Casablanca was filmed at Van Nuys on Hayvenhurst, then known as Metropolitan Airport.

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Jun 4, 2014 at 2:28 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malumot View Post

Around that time, Lenny Bruce also worked at Strip City which was located at Pico and Western.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 8:26 PM
BANNED

Hustle and bustle of Los Angeles.
Broadway and 7th Street in 1934, showing a man crossing through a lane of traffic to get to a streetcar. Notice that the driver is using hand signals to indicate a turn. A police officer is directing traffic in addition to the traffic semaphore at the left.

LAexaminer

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 8:38 PM

The developer of the Hotel Hayward was Dr. Henderson Hayward, a prototypical turn-of-the-20th-century L.A. BSD. For his somewhat messy domestic arrangements, he chose Wilshire Boulevard, building one of the first houses there. I've just completed the story of 2501 Wilshire here: http://wilshireboulevardhouses.blogs...e-see-our.html

As for the hotel, I discovered that Charles Whittlesey, the architect, had worked prior to coming to LA for Louis Sullivan, which would explain the details of the building.... Below is a recent post of ER's that emphasizes those details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I just noticed the beautiful hanging globes that adorn the Hotel Hayward.

circa 1910. I'd love to see them at night.

detail http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/2151/rec/14

and here's one at far left above the main entrance. (also 1910)

detail http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/2151/rec/14

More prior Hotel Hayward:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=10096

We've seen this shot on NLA before, no doubt--Ralphs first store, replaced by the Hayward:
LAPL

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 9:31 PM

Pacific Pipe & Supply. A supplier for the SOB Familiar, but I can't locate on NLA. The CD's list PP&S's main office at 1002 Santa Fe Ave. - How many locations did Moxley's have? "Hollywood Branch?" Moxley's Highland Vet Shop here >>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=11542
http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...BUV8RTJ6NB.jpg

Last edited by Chuckaluck; Jun 4, 2014 at 10:03 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos