HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 8:43 PM

BuildingATX points out a new crane that went up over the weekend just east of I-35 for the East Side Village project:

http://buildingatx.com/2015/04/crane...tside-village/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 4:51 PM

Another angle of the Eastside Village. Can anyone shed some light on the type of contruction we see here with those giant walls going up first? Looks like how a warehouse is constructed. Or is that just a prefab parking garage?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 7:13 PM

The Castilian is getting a facelift.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
Another angle of the Eastside Village. Can anyone shed some light on the type of contruction we see here with those giant walls going up first? Looks like how a warehouse is constructed. Or is that just a prefab parking garage?

That's prefab parking garage. I see it everyday on the train.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 8:32 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
The Castilian is getting a facelift.

Polish that turd!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 11:06 PM
Meh

^It looks like it's wearing a leisure suit.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
That's prefab parking garage. I see it everyday on the train.
That's tilt-wall. Those are the walls of the office building. They pour them on the ground and then tilt them up. The garage will be to the west of the office bldg

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 12:51 AM

That long ago abandoned Sonic Drive In on E. Riverside is being demolished today.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 8:59 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Cross-posted to relevant threads:

Here's a map I've made of the Austin CVCs. It's color-coded by city defined (black), state defined (red), and state defined alterations of the city defined CVCs (yellow).

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...s.kFyc1SOGTRGA

I've also subdivided the layers such that you can click on and off those Interstate 35 layers which would be inevitably removed by sinking Interstate 35, thus opening up significant swaths of land to high rise development.

I would imagine that if UT-Medical School leaders are thinking strategically, they might want to consider the long term impacts of having these CVCs de facto destroyed by advocating the pseudo-removal of the reason they exist in the first place: Interstate 35.

The removal of those CVCs opens up significant nearby land for private medical school related development, as well as bolstering the city's state goals of increasing our tax-base along Waller Creek. Unfortunately, one of the biggest problems along Waller is that this set of CVCs completely remove the possibility of intense creek focused development.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 9:37 AM
World Traveler

^^ That's especially good to see the amount of land that would open up for high-rise development along Waller Creek. That'd provide for a really dense east portion of downtown, and with the creek as a focal point, it'd be a really neat vibe.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 6:22 AM

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 7:51 AM

It's old.

Former Concordia University Site Redevelopment

The developer plead guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit bank fraud

It would have been a nice project had it happened.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Cross-posted to relevant threads:

Here's a map I've made of the Austin CVCs. It's color-coded by city defined (black), state defined (red), and state defined alterations of the city defined CVCs (yellow).

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...s.kFyc1SOGTRGA

I've also subdivided the layers such that you can click on and off those Interstate 35 layers which would be inevitably removed by sinking Interstate 35, thus opening up significant swaths of land to high rise development.

I would imagine that if UT-Medical School leaders are thinking strategically, they might want to consider the long term impacts of having these CVCs de facto destroyed by advocating the pseudo-removal of the reason they exist in the first place: Interstate 35.

The removal of those CVCs opens up significant nearby land for private medical school related development, as well as bolstering the city's state goals of increasing our tax-base along Waller Creek. Unfortunately, one of the biggest problems along Waller is that this set of CVCs completely remove the possibility of intense creek focused development.
Isn't it a pretty big assumption that the CVCs would go away? Isn't there at least one capital view that doesn't actually exist already (actually blocked)? Or if nothing else, the view from the surface level frontage road would still be protected?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 1:25 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Isn't it a pretty big assumption that the CVCs would go away? Isn't there at least one capital view that doesn't actually exist already (actually blocked)? Or if nothing else, the view from the surface level frontage road would still be protected?
I would think that what would happen in the event of cut and limited (and in the future slowly expanded) cap, I would imagine the likely outcome is a CVC for the originating cap portion.

The logic of the I-35 CVCs isn't about locals (who would be the people using the access roads), but is rather about passers-thru, so preserving access road views when we have plenty of other views spread throughout the city for locals would be essentially meaningless and would have no emotional justification. Keeping a view for a cap portion would make emotional sense, however.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 4:19 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
^It looks like it's wearing a leisure suit.
^ This is one of the most perfect, profound observations ever made on any web forum. There is simply no denying the fact of what the Castillian is, and what it appears to be wearing. I was racking my brain yesterday, trying to think of other buildings in Austin that would look at home in a leisure suit, but couldn't think of any that fit so aptly as the Castillian. If anyone has suggestions, please post.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
It's old.

Former Concordia University Site Redevelopment

The developer plead guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit bank fraud

It would have been a nice project had it happened.
Wow, they even had picked a major architect to design something that was going to be a scam.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 12:17 AM

Safe Assumption?

So is it a realistic assumption that by November 2015, 99 Trinity, Waller Park Place, 5th and Brazos, Aloft Element Hotel, Austin Proper, The Independent, 70 Rainey, Homewood Suites, and Shoal Creek Walk will all have broken ground?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
So is it a realistic assumption that by November 2015, 99 Trinity, Waller Park Place, 5th and Brazos, Aloft Element Hotel, Austin Proper, The Independent, 70 Rainey, Homewood Suites, and Shoal Creek Walk will all have broken ground?
No. 5th and Brazos, 99 Trinity, and Shoal Creek Walk are a lot more shaky.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
No. 5th and Brazos, 99 Trinity, and Shoal Creek Walk are a lot more shaky.
I agree that these three bring the most skepticism, but I have it on pretty good authority that 5th and Brazos is indeed happening and that it will be rental units. The last public news on that one was a Summer groundbreaking and that financing was lined up, right? The developer is Chicago firm Magellan and they're very reputable.

99 Trinity is weird because it has had financing lined up since its inception, but those metal structures remain on the site. We're always hearing "groundbreaking" soon but they completely missed all the 2014 projected start dates. Didn't they resubmit the site plan though? And there was that new rendering and Nate Paul was recently quoted saying the groundbreaking would happen "soon." Is it possible it still has another approval hurdle to jump?

Shoal Creek is even more confusing. This was originally slated to be a Whole Foods expansion. Then the thought was it would be mixed use and 27 stories, but now it seems like they've chopped off the 12 residential floors and have made it 15 stories. There is only one recent rendering and that is posted on a sign that has been on the site for a few months now and the parking lot has been removed. When I lived in the Monarch, someone from the leasing office said that the lot would become a whole foods expansion and be a significant highrise. That was in the fall of 2012. Why is this one moving so slow?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 2:09 AM

Everyone of those projects is still actively moving through the permit process. I'm not worried about any of them yet. 99 Trinity and the Homewood Suites are the ones that seemed to have had a hiccup at some point, but they still appear to be very much alive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin