HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #47281  
Old Posted May 14, 2020, 6:28 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 5,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Honestly guys, the Dairy and those mutilated two flats are not the biggest problem here. Those buildings pale in comparison to the endless parade of excellent prewar stock all over the South and West side that is mercilessly plowed under on a daily basis. When you see greystone 3 flats biting the dust all over Garfield and Lawndale and Englewood, I'm really not concerned about a Chicago common building that is only relevant at all because it had an interesting historical use.

To me the main outrage of stuff like the Dairy is the sheer wastefulness of it. It's a perfectly serviceable building and now all those finishes are going to wind up in the landfill.
100000% agree. Everyone should take a look at the daily feed of demo permits issued. Soooo many are on the south and west side. A lot of them are emergency demos meaning the buildings are not safe. Tons of good housing stock being lost either in general or because the buildings have become neglected. These parts of town have just as much awesome older housing stock as north sode that we all focus a ton on..

I might put together some stats later on south vs. West. Vs. North side/downtown demo. It might surprise some people.
__________________
Chicago Maps:
* New Construction Permits:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kXSch1pWpvKw
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47282  
Old Posted May 14, 2020, 7:29 PM
HomrQT's Avatar
HomrQT HomrQT is offline
All-American City Boy
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Forest Park / Uptown, Chicago
Posts: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
100000% agree. Everyone should take a look at the daily feed of demo permits issued. Soooo many are on the south and west side. A lot of them are emergency demos meaning the buildings are not safe. Tons of good housing stock being lost either in general or because the buildings have become neglected. These parts of town have just as much awesome older housing stock as north sode that we all focus a ton on..

I might put together some stats later on south vs. West. Vs. North side/downtown demo. It might surprise some people.
Info like that should be shared far and wide. It could raise awareness and slow down the destruction of these buildings in some capacity.
__________________
1. 111 W 57 - Manhattan, New York - SHoP Architects - Photo
2. 9 Dekalb Ave - Brooklyn, New York - SHoP Architects - Photo
3. One Chicago Square - Chicago - HPA and Goettsch Partners - Photo
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47283  
Old Posted May 14, 2020, 7:46 PM
Darude_Sandstorm Darude_Sandstorm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Chicago
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
Great to see the owners cashed out their 30+ year personal investment.
That really isn't what is being discussed. It shouldn't be legal to build on 3 lots like this within walking distance of a CTA bus stop.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47284  
Old Posted May 14, 2020, 8:34 PM
west-town-brad west-town-brad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darude_Sandstorm View Post
That really isn't what is being discussed. It shouldn't be legal to build on 3 lots like this within walking distance of a CTA bus stop.
it shouldn't be legal to build the building that's been there for 100+ years?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47285  
Old Posted May 14, 2020, 10:26 PM
Darude_Sandstorm Darude_Sandstorm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Chicago
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
it shouldn't be legal to build the building that's been there for 100+ years?
I'm talking about new construction. Zoning allows for 15,500 sq ft SFH here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47286  
Old Posted May 15, 2020, 4:29 AM
Goose Island Guru Goose Island Guru is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There have been some demolitions that hurt, but there's also a lot that are completely forgettable. A lot more probably than people even realize. Doing the map that I do for new construction permits has made me realize this. Houses like this are a dime a dozen in the midwest. And to be completely honest, I think what replaced it looks a bit better.

At the end of the day though, some of these get torn down because the buildings are in pretty bad shape to begin with which costs more to fix than to just tear it down and building something new. That needs to be taken into account. Buildings are old and when you don't take care of a lot of old buildings, they are going to deteriorate into a mess. I'm not saying all of them are like this but I think that people just assume all these buildings are in amazing shape and are simple to fix.
The replacement is definitely better, but that porch roof is nasty. Holy shingles
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47287  
Old Posted May 15, 2020, 5:36 AM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
it shouldn't be legal to build the building that's been there for 100+ years?
Welcome to the current status quo for 75% of the buildings in the city of Chicago. Fact is we don't get lot line to lot line buildings, corner side entrance six flats, courtyards, two flats, and any other number of historical multifamily programs because they are outright illegal to build under any zoning district in our current code. And building with a turret or bay window over hanging the ROW, for example, is flat out illegal now. You can even be charged by the city for having the audacity to own such an existing non-conforming building. They will toss addtional fees on your permits because you had the gall to renovate a 125 year old building with a turret infringing on the air rights of the public way.
__________________
Got suspended for using the term "Dingbat", no point in participating when that's your excuse for censorship.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47288  
Old Posted May 15, 2020, 2:38 PM
OrdoSeclorum OrdoSeclorum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
it shouldn't be legal to build the building that's been there for 100+ years?
I'm no libertarian, but if we make it legal to build what people want where people want, we're going to end up with tons more usable density than if we just try to legislate what we want. It's illegal to build Lincoln Park, Georgetown or Greenwich Village almost anywhere in the country. Just remove parking minimums and allow people to build as many units as they want as high as they want. Then, if like in downtown Tokyo, someone wants to shell out millions to build a SFH in the Loop, I don't have a problem with it.

The fact is that it's often only possible in the first place to sell land in Lincoln Park for cheap enough to make a SFH financially feasible because the price of the land is effectively capped because it's so hard to build apartments on it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47289  
Old Posted May 16, 2020, 2:26 AM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 13,333
306 W Erie

May 13



__________________
Harry C --- Chicago rep for SkyRise Cities ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47290  
Old Posted May 16, 2020, 3:16 PM
PKDickman PKDickman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
100000% agree. Everyone should take a look at the daily feed of demo permits issued. Soooo many are on the south and west side. A lot of them are emergency demos meaning the buildings are not safe. Tons of good housing stock being lost either in general or because the buildings have become neglected. These parts of town have just as much awesome older housing stock as north sode that we all focus a ton on..

I might put together some stats later on south vs. West. Vs. North side/downtown demo. It might surprise some people.
Here is a map I put together last year, of Emergency demolition permits on residential buildings in for which the city was listed as owner.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?h...788928605&z=11
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47291  
Old Posted May 16, 2020, 3:22 PM
HomrQT's Avatar
HomrQT HomrQT is offline
All-American City Boy
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Forest Park / Uptown, Chicago
Posts: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
Here is a map I put together last year, of Emergency demolition permits on residential buildings in for which the city was listed as owner.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?h...788928605&z=11
Wow. It makes me wonder how many of those buildings were in good enough condition to rehab instead of demolish.
__________________
1. 111 W 57 - Manhattan, New York - SHoP Architects - Photo
2. 9 Dekalb Ave - Brooklyn, New York - SHoP Architects - Photo
3. One Chicago Square - Chicago - HPA and Goettsch Partners - Photo
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47292  
Old Posted May 16, 2020, 11:19 PM
ChiTownWonder's Avatar
ChiTownWonder ChiTownWonder is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 602
Seeing that map makes it feel like urban renewal part 2. Sad to loose those buildings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47293  
Old Posted May 17, 2020, 9:20 AM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Wow. It makes me wonder how many of those buildings were in good enough condition to rehab instead of demolish.
Almost all non frame buildings are salvagable...
__________________
Got suspended for using the term "Dingbat", no point in participating when that's your excuse for censorship.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47294  
Old Posted May 17, 2020, 4:58 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 13,333
Uptown - Sheridan and Leland

May 3

Chicago by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Chicago by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr
__________________
Harry C --- Chicago rep for SkyRise Cities ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47295  
Old Posted May 17, 2020, 5:03 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 13,333
Uptown - somewhere on Broadway

May 3

Chicago by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr
__________________
Harry C --- Chicago rep for SkyRise Cities ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47296  
Old Posted May 17, 2020, 10:28 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 13,333
RUSH - 121 S Ashland

May 13

Chicago | RUSH by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr
__________________
Harry C --- Chicago rep for SkyRise Cities ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47297  
Old Posted May 19, 2020, 12:39 AM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 5,105
There is a zoning app up which details building a new 7 story, 83 foot 8 inch tall building at 1623-31 N Halsted Street which would have 79 residential units or hotel rooms (not sure which one) with ground floor retail, 79 bike spaces, and 0 parking spaces. Owner/developer is Logan Ventures Fund and they bought those properties 7 years ago. They checked the ARO box, so it's probably residential.

Very very close to Steppenwolf Theater (and the expansion going on now) along with the North/Clybourn Red Line stop and all the stores there. Looks like it would knock down these 4 buildings:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/16...!4d-87.6480748
__________________
Chicago Maps:
* New Construction Permits:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kXSch1pWpvKw
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47298  
Old Posted May 19, 2020, 1:06 PM
ChiPlanner ChiPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lakeview East Chicago
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There is a zoning app up which details building a new 7 story, 83 foot 8 inch tall building at 1623-31 N Halsted Street which would have 79 residential units or hotel rooms (not sure which one) with ground floor retail, 79 bike spaces, and 0 parking spaces. Owner/developer is Logan Ventures Fund and they bought those properties 7 years ago. They checked the ARO box, so it's probably residential.

Very very close to Steppenwolf Theater (and the expansion going on now) along with the North/Clybourn Red Line stop and all the stores there. Looks like it would knock down these 4 buildings:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/16...!4d-87.6480748
It is residential- expect sorta faux industrial similar to fulton market. Good density, ok design.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47299  
Old Posted May 19, 2020, 1:10 PM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 18,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
I'm no libertarian, but if we make it legal to build what people want where people want, we're going to end up with tons more usable density than if we just try to legislate what we want. It's illegal to build Lincoln Park, Georgetown or Greenwich Village almost anywhere in the country. Just remove parking minimums and allow people to build as many units as they want as high as they want. Then, if like in downtown Tokyo, someone wants to shell out millions to build a SFH in the Loop, I don't have a problem with it.

The fact is that it's often only possible in the first place to sell land in Lincoln Park for cheap enough to make a SFH financially feasible because the price of the land is effectively capped because it's so hard to build apartments on it.
Along with requiring some but not all units to be accessible. If you could build six-story walk ups with no parking, no ramps and no elevators (passenger or service), you would get affordable housing.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47300  
Old Posted May 19, 2020, 3:46 PM
bcp's Avatar
bcp bcp is offline
Urban Living
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 5,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Along with requiring some but not all units to be accessible. If you could build six-story walk ups with no parking, no ramps and no elevators (passenger or service), you would get affordable housing.
In NYC we called it "the far upper east side"
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:22 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.