HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Honestly guys, the Dairy and those mutilated two flats are not the biggest problem here. Those buildings pale in comparison to the endless parade of excellent prewar stock all over the South and West side that is mercilessly plowed under on a daily basis. When you see greystone 3 flats biting the dust all over Garfield and Lawndale and Englewood, I'm really not concerned about a Chicago common building that is only relevant at all because it had an interesting historical use.

To me the main outrage of stuff like the Dairy is the sheer wastefulness of it. It's a perfectly serviceable building and now all those finishes are going to wind up in the landfill.
100000% agree. Everyone should take a look at the daily feed of demo permits issued. Soooo many are on the south and west side. A lot of them are emergency demos meaning the buildings are not safe. Tons of good housing stock being lost either in general or because the buildings have become neglected. These parts of town have just as much awesome older housing stock as north sode that we all focus a ton on..

I might put together some stats later on south vs. West. Vs. North side/downtown demo. It might surprise some people.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 7:29 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
100000% agree. Everyone should take a look at the daily feed of demo permits issued. Soooo many are on the south and west side. A lot of them are emergency demos meaning the buildings are not safe. Tons of good housing stock being lost either in general or because the buildings have become neglected. These parts of town have just as much awesome older housing stock as north sode that we all focus a ton on..

I might put together some stats later on south vs. West. Vs. North side/downtown demo. It might surprise some people.
Info like that should be shared far and wide. It could raise awareness and slow down the destruction of these buildings in some capacity.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
Great to see the owners cashed out their 30+ year personal investment.
That really isn't what is being discussed. It shouldn't be legal to build on 3 lots like this within walking distance of a CTA bus stop.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darude_Sandstorm View Post
That really isn't what is being discussed. It shouldn't be legal to build on 3 lots like this within walking distance of a CTA bus stop.
it shouldn't be legal to build the building that's been there for 100+ years?

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about new construction. Zoning allows for 15,500 sq ft SFH here.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 4:29 AM

Quote:
There have been some demolitions that hurt, but there's also a lot that are completely forgettable. A lot more probably than people even realize. Doing the map that I do for new construction permits has made me realize this. Houses like this are a dime a dozen in the midwest. And to be completely honest, I think what replaced it looks a bit better.

At the end of the day though, some of these get torn down because the buildings are in pretty bad shape to begin with which costs more to fix than to just tear it down and building something new. That needs to be taken into account. Buildings are old and when you don't take care of a lot of old buildings, they are going to deteriorate into a mess. I'm not saying all of them are like this but I think that people just assume all these buildings are in amazing shape and are simple to fix.
The replacement is definitely better, but that porch roof is nasty. Holy shingles

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Welcome to the current status quo for 75% of the buildings in the city of Chicago. Fact is we don't get lot line to lot line buildings, corner side entrance six flats, courtyards, two flats, and any other number of historical multifamily programs because they are outright illegal to build under any zoning district in our current code. And building with a turret or bay window over hanging the ROW, for example, is flat out illegal now. You can even be charged by the city for having the audacity to own such an existing non-conforming building. They will toss addtional fees on your permits because you had the gall to renovate a 125 year old building with a turret infringing on the air rights of the public way.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 2:38 PM

Quote:
I'm no libertarian, but if we make it legal to build what people want where people want, we're going to end up with tons more usable density than if we just try to legislate what we want. It's illegal to build Lincoln Park, Georgetown or Greenwich Village almost anywhere in the country. Just remove parking minimums and allow people to build as many units as they want as high as they want. Then, if like in downtown Tokyo, someone wants to shell out millions to build a SFH in the Loop, I don't have a problem with it.

The fact is that it's often only possible in the first place to sell land in Lincoln Park for cheap enough to make a SFH financially feasible because the price of the land is effectively capped because it's so hard to build apartments on it.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 2:26 AM

306 W Erie

May 13

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 3:16 PM

Quote:

Here is a map I put together last year, of Emergency demolition permits on residential buildings in for which the city was listed as owner.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?h...788928605&z=11

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 3:22 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
Here is a map I put together last year, of Emergency demolition permits on residential buildings in for which the city was listed as owner.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?h...788928605&z=11
Wow. It makes me wonder how many of those buildings were in good enough condition to rehab instead of demolish.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 11:19 PM

Seeing that map makes it feel like urban renewal part 2. Sad to loose those buildings.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Wow. It makes me wonder how many of those buildings were in good enough condition to rehab instead of demolish.
Almost all non frame buildings are salvagable...

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 4:58 PM

Uptown - Sheridan and Leland

May 3

Chicago by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 5:03 PM

Uptown - somewhere on Broadway

May 3

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 10:28 PM

RUSH - 121 S Ashland

May 13

Chicago | RUSH by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 12:39 AM

There is a zoning app up which details building a new 7 story, 83 foot 8 inch tall building at 1623-31 N Halsted Street which would have 79 residential units or hotel rooms (not sure which one) with ground floor retail, 79 bike spaces, and 0 parking spaces. Owner/developer is Logan Ventures Fund and they bought those properties 7 years ago. They checked the ARO box, so it's probably residential.

Very very close to Steppenwolf Theater (and the expansion going on now) along with the North/Clybourn Red Line stop and all the stores there. Looks like it would knock down these 4 buildings:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/16...!4d-87.6480748

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 1:06 PM

Quote:
There is a zoning app up which details building a new 7 story, 83 foot 8 inch tall building at 1623-31 N Halsted Street which would have 79 residential units or hotel rooms (not sure which one) with ground floor retail, 79 bike spaces, and 0 parking spaces. Owner/developer is Logan Ventures Fund and they bought those properties 7 years ago. They checked the ARO box, so it's probably residential.

Very very close to Steppenwolf Theater (and the expansion going on now) along with the North/Clybourn Red Line stop and all the stores there. Looks like it would knock down these 4 buildings:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/16...!4d-87.6480748
It is residential- expect sorta faux industrial similar to fulton market. Good density, ok design.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
I'm no libertarian, but if we make it legal to build what people want where people want, we're going to end up with tons more usable density than if we just try to legislate what we want. It's illegal to build Lincoln Park, Georgetown or Greenwich Village almost anywhere in the country. Just remove parking minimums and allow people to build as many units as they want as high as they want. Then, if like in downtown Tokyo, someone wants to shell out millions to build a SFH in the Loop, I don't have a problem with it.

The fact is that it's often only possible in the first place to sell land in Lincoln Park for cheap enough to make a SFH financially feasible because the price of the land is effectively capped because it's so hard to build apartments on it.
Along with requiring some but not all units to be accessible. If you could build six-story walk ups with no parking, no ramps and no elevators (passenger or service), you would get affordable housing.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 3:46 PM
Urban Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Along with requiring some but not all units to be accessible. If you could build six-story walk ups with no parking, no ramps and no elevators (passenger or service), you would get affordable housing.
In NYC we called it "the far upper east side"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development