HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 10:01 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Holy Todelo indeed. Thanks, ER. We've seen Joan hugging the post before--always a pleasant reminder of one of the all-time fabulously ridiculous JC movies ever-- Strait Jacket. With Diane Baker, absurd fake props, and totally unsubtle product placement...

Well, as a Pepsicola executive through marriage, you wouldn't expect her to plant a Coke 6 pack in the frame, would you? Joan always knew who paid the bills. No cheap metal coat hangers for her. Diane Baker..remember her from "Krakatoa, East (sic) of Java". When it was pointed out that Krakatoa is west of Java, that caused a few guffaws but the title remained. I suppose you could say that Krakatoa is east of Java, if you go around the Earth 25,000 miles. I see that Krakatoa, or little new Krakatoa anyway is acting up again. Maybe they can make a sequel and get the direction right this time.

Question--why doesn't this website use a secure https address?

Last edited by CaliNative; Jan 7, 2019 at 10:15 AM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
That thing is our mystery house?

Ebay

For once..I'm speechless.

Not so much the "nails" that GLW and HossC provided. More of a thumbtack really.

436 Oak Ave/1302 Hobart Blvd in it's original orientation on the corner with Fountain Ave?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 4:22 PM

Nails vs thumbtacks?? Anyway, NN, your illustrations are great.

A little bit more on the house--George Lovejoy was listed at 436 S Crown Avenue in the 1911 CD, but this appears to have been an error. Crown runs north of Hollywood Blvd on the 1907 Sanborn map (and is now part of Harvard Blvd) while its southerly indirect extension southward is Oak (and now part of Hobart) . (Lovejoy is not in CDs prior to 1911.) 1911 might seem the build date, but the assessor indicates 1907... Lovejoy was still iving in way upstate NY in 1905...

Here is an image that was in a pictorial on Hollywood in the Herald of Sept 19, 1909--it appears to be Crown Avenue north from Prospect Ave/Hollywood. (I'm seeing RR tracks.) While Lovejoy's house would have been south of this intersection, you can see the peak pointed out by NN behind one of the phone poles. (I'm sure that peak has a name--anyone?)

Link to the pictorial: https://cdnc.ucr.edu/?a=d&d=LAH19090...nue%22-------1

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jan 7, 2019 at 8:17 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Believe it or not GW, I located a photograph of Irene Seidcheck.

kansasdrakes

The man on the tricycle is her husband, Allan Seidcheck...a so-called 'bad boy'
Allan is the person who placed the missing ad (his name is on it)

To ease the suspense, Irene was FOUND.
(or more likely she simply decided to return to her husband)

It turns out...Irene's daughter, Colleen, is searching for information on her biological mother. at
GW, I don't believe Irene's daughter is aware of the missing ad. Do you think it's something she'd like to know?

Great to see Irene "in the flesh." I looked at her daughter's website, but when "Email me" is clicked...there is no address...and the last blogpost was nearly 7 years ago....

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Great to see Irene "in the flesh." I looked at her daughter's website, but when "Email me" is clicked...there is no address...and the last blogpost was nearly 7 years ago....
She's just maintaining the family tradition, you see.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 10:47 PM

The following are from a Dick Whittington photoset called "Homes and buildings, Frank Meline Co., Los Angeles, CA, 1926". A couple of the others have been posted before, but I think these are new to the thread. The first shows 211, 211½ and 213 N New Hampshire Avenue.

USC Digital Library

The house is still there, but it's lost its cartouches and decorative details. The walls don't look nearly as smooth either. The openings above the porch were only filled as recently as 2016.

GSV

The second is a little court of houses at 5312-5322 Romaine Street.

USC Digital Library

They seem to be well preserved, and even the new gate and wall aren't that intrusive.

GSV

The third is a corner house at 355 S Plymouth Boulevard.

USC Digital Library

The awnings have gone, and the driveway's been considerably enlarged, but it appears to be otherwise intact. The trees on the corner now prevent me getting the current view from the same angle. I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen a window with a chimney running up either side.

GSV

I'll try and check out some of the others tomorrow.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 11:17 PM

For a history of 355 S Plymouth, see this inventory of its block at Windsor Square: A Historical Inventory

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 11:35 PM

2707/3507 Washington Blvd. & 1901 4th Ave./901 S. Victoria Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

photCL_555_06_358 at Huntington Digital Library, Ernest Marquez Collection
I just discovered where these two houses above were. The home in the distance was 2707 (later renumbered 3507) W. Washington,
on the NW corner of 5th Avenue. The home in the foreground was 1901 S. 4th Avenue, on the SW corner of Washington. The
image above shows the front (with the porch) and left/south (with the chimney) sides of 1901, so the photographer must have
been standing near the lower right corner of the map, looking toward 2707 Washington:

1907 Sanborn @ ProQuest via LAPL (The north and south sides of Washington are on two different maps, which I've edited
together. That's why Washington looks narrower than 5th Avenue.)

While researching something else, I came across a July 1906 article on 2707 Washington Street (later Washington Boulevard).
The article has one interior and one exterior photo of the house:

Here is a close-up of 2707 Washington from the HDL photo, followed by the images of 2707 Washington from the article. When I
saw the grainy image of the outside of 2707 with the article, I compared it to the HDL photo and realized it was the same house:

July 1, 1906, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

This is Mr. Neeland, who first appears on Washington in the 1906 LACD and who last appears there in the 1920 LACD
(he's at 4016 Wilshire in the 1921 and 1922 LACDs):

Integral Outsiders: The American Colony in Mexico City, 1876-1911 by William Schell (Scholarly Resources, Inc., 2001), p. 110 @ Google Books

In addition to his railroad activities, Mr. Neeland was also involved in banking, as we see in the March 1909 Bankers Magazine.

I was unable to find the resolution of this case:

June 10, 1911, Los Angeles Herald @ CDNC

Anyway, by 1921 the Arlington Heights Methodist Episcopal Church had moved into Neeland's former home. I last found that
church -- at any address -- in the 1926 LACD. The demolition permit for 3507 W. Washington is dated March 29, 1929:

1921 Sanborn Map @ ProQuest via LAPL

As for 1901 S. 4th Avenue, it was built by Charles P. Coslett, whose first appearance there is in the 1906 LACD; his last is
in 1918 (he's at 711 Westlake in 1920).

Here is 1901 S. 4th Avenue on the 1921 Sanborn (the next building south of 1901 is 1919-1921, just across the alley):

ProQuest via LAPL

About six years after Coslett departed 1901 S. 4th Avenue, his old home -- which rightly or wrongly is numbered 1907
on this September 4, 1924, permit -- was moved to 901 S. Victoria Avenue:

LADBS

So this house (1901 S. 4th Avenue, c. 1907) . . .

photCL_555_06_357 at Huntington Digital Library, Ernest Marquez Collection

. . . is now this house, 901 S. Victoria Avenue. The overhanging roof is gone, the second floor has been redone, there's an
addition to the left/south side, and most of the front porch has been filled in. But the window pattern to the left of the front
door is the same as before, and there are other similarities:

May 2009 GSV -- The house looks largely the same in the most current view (March 2018), but a hedge blocks some of the view from the street

This aerial view shows that the chimney and art glass on the left/south side of the house (visible in the photo at the top of this post)
are gone, perhaps removed when the addition to the house was built. I hope some of the rest of the interior has been preserved:

Google

This looks at 901 S. Victoria from 9th Street. The second floor windows bear a strong resemblance to those in the c. 1907 photo
three images up. That image shows the corner of the open porch at the rear of the second floor which we see here partially enclosed
(it's now totally enclosed). There is a November 22, 1924, building permit for a 16 x 20 wood-and-stucco garage at 901 S. Victoria,
and I'm confident that's what we see here:

May 2009 GSV

In researching this post, I found that if you're traveling west on Washington Blvd., as you cross Arlington Avenue you're in the
2500 block of Washington, and the next street west is 3rd Avenue. However, mid-block, the numbers on Washington change
from 25XX to 32XX, and west of 3rd Avenue is the 3300 block. West Washington Blvd. has no 2600 through 3100 blocks.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Jan 24, 2019 at 1:04 AM. Reason: add note about 1907 Sanborn Map

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 11:50 PM

The house John Neeland lived in circa 1921-22 is a rare Wilshire Boulevard survivor; the family that moved into 4016 Wilshire after him still owns it, in fact.

As for

Quote:
In researching this post, I found that if you're traveling west on Washington Blvd., as you cross Arlington Avenue you're in the
2500 block of Washington, and the next street west is 3rd Avenue. However, mid-block, the numbers on Washington change
from 25XX to 32XX, and west of 3rd Avenue is the 3300 block. West Washington Blvd. has no 2600 through 3100 blocks.

East-west addresses in this vicinity changed at the time of the 1909-1910 annexations of Hollywood and Colegrove--the added territory of
the Colegrove addition of Oct 27, 1909, is seen on the map below. Note that the Colegrove line along Arlington was actually 180 feet
west of it. Adams Street also lost eight blocks numerically at this time.

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jan 8, 2019 at 7:02 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 1:59 AM

mystery location

I thought that I had posted a mystery cabinet card [a while back] that showed a swan(?) statue atop a base in a park-like setting.
If I remember correctly, the only clue was "Walnut Street" Does that ring a bell for anyone? (the mystery was never solved)

I ask..because one of the clues on the cabinet card [shown below] is Walnut St. [1890s]

EBAY

Horton's..Walnut St.

Howland & Chadwick....211 South Main Street...opposite cathedral....Los Angeles, California

I was excited to see the handwriting so I hurriedly flipped the photo over....

only to find out it's a recipe for Vanilla Fudge !

Before I call it a night I'll leave you with a closer look at the Horton house.

I thought there would be a Horton, or two. but no.

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 8, 2019 at 11:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 4:05 AM

Quote:

East-west addresses in this vicinity changed at the time of the 1909-1910 annexations of Hollywood and Colegrove--the added territory of
the Colegrove addition of Oct 27, 1909, is seen on the map below. Note that the actual Colgrove line along Arlington was actually 180 feet
west of it. Adams Street also lost eight blocks numerically at this time.
Thanks, GW, that explains it! John M. Neeland's home is 2707 Washington in the 1912 LACD and 3507 Washington in the 1913 LACD.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 9:43 PM

Here are three more images from Dick Whittington's "Homes and buildings, Frank Meline Co., Los Angeles, CA, 1926". The first is 1611 N Normandie Avenue.

USC Digital Library

The full development includes a mirror of the units on the right, but I went for the nearest approximation of the original as I could. They've gained a much larger neighbor over the years.

GSV

For the second, we're off to 117 N Citrus Avenue.

USC Digital Library

If you look at the older GSV images, the house was still looking pretty good (the aerial view shows that it was extended at the rear)...

... but sadly, the June 2017 (below) shows an empty lot. The latest image shows the replacement under construction.

Both GSV

A couple of blocks south, we have 211 S Citrus Avenue.

USC Digital Library

This one has had an addition on the left, but at least they copied the style of the right (even if it's lost a few details here and there).

GSV

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 12:19 AM

That's such a shame about 117 N Citrus Avenue. It fit perfectly with the other houses on the block.

I'm afraid to look at the replacement.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 9, 2019 at 12:37 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 12:31 AM

Does anyone have an idea what is above the garage doors at 1611 N Normandie Avenue? ........1926 is too early for graffiti, right?

to be more descriptive: it looks like a cut-out sign (of graffiti) on a slanted roof.

DETAIL

I also like the hanging light used to illuminate the drive back to garage.

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 9, 2019 at 2:01 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 3:01 AM

Could we be looking at laundry hung out to dry?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 6:17 AM

I came across this rather intriguing painting about a month ago on collectorsweekly

collectorsweekly

It's even more intriguing when you see the back.

Mimi Forsyth(e), , Silent Star" (I've never heard of her before)

It turns out.. Mimi was born in Chicago on Dec. 13, 1921 as Marie Armstrong .
She died [suicide] on August 17, 1952 in Hollywood California. (age 30) info from IMDB

As you can see, the painting was gifted to Mimi's son in 1964.

IMDB lists only three films...and they're all from the 1940s. (I doubt she was a silent star...unless she performed as a child under a different name)

#1 Three Russian Girls [1943] as Tamara
#2 The Bridge of San Luis Rey villager [uncredited]
#3 Sensations of 1945 as Julia Wescolt

She also had three husbands.

Benedict Bogeaus (father of her son, Geoffrey) -divorced 1945
Warren McCanless (killed instantly when his car runs into a telephone pole in Los Angeles. Age 30) in 1946
James Turner (divorced 1949)

You can read a chronology of her life at glamourgirlsofthesilverscreen

collectorsweekly

Has anyone on NLA ever heard of Mimi Forsythe? (before this post)

___

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 9, 2019 at 6:40 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 7:32 AM

Mimi Forsythe

Hi Ethereal:

Old movie Buff here. I certainly know of Mimi Forsythe. She had a prominent role alongside Eleanor Powell and Dennis O'Keefe in "Sensations of 1945," (1944). A real looker and not a bad actress. Various scenes with Mimi from the movie can be seen on youtube. And why the person would've written "Silent Star" on the back of the picture is a puzzle.
I looked up information on her a few years ago and was surprised to read that she had committed suicide in 1952 at age 30. Apparently she was bipolar and had a history of emotional breakdowns.

Mimi Forsythe 1943/44
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/.../mimi-forsythe

Mimi Forsythe, Dennis O'Keefe, Eleanor Powell, 1944
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-mi...-41829699.html

Last edited by JeffDiego; Jan 9, 2019 at 7:48 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 2:44 PM

Some more on Mimi Forsythe

ancestry/LAT Aug 16, 1944

Ben Bogeaus seems to have been pretty big in pictures. He definitely liked them young. He married Mimi, his second wife (at least) when he was 37 and she was 19-going-on-20 (if not the 17 cited in the LAT divorce report); his next wife was nearly 22 years younger--he had a son with each. One online source says that the house cited on the marriage license--662 Stone Canyon in Bel-Air--was occupies by an interesting list of names: Joan blondell, Peter Frampton, Maureen O'Hara, and Dick Powell.

LAT Aug 22, 1952

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 3:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Does anyone have an idea what is above the garage doors at 1611 N Normandie Avenue? ........1926 is too early for graffiti, right?

to be more descriptive: it looks like a cut-out sign (of graffiti) on a slanted roof.

DETAIL

I also like the hanging light used to illuminate the drive back to garage.

_
FW is correct. It appears to be one day of washing for the baby. Diapers, sheets for the crib and possibly towels and clothes. This was back in the day when mothers washed a lot of diapers. There were no diaper washing companies and disposable diapers hadn't been perfected. It was one smelly mess. Dirty diapers were kept in a metal can with a pop-up lid....soiled diapers are changed many times in 24 hours.

Yes ER, that hanging light is a charmer.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 7:06 PM

You have quite an eye CBD!
Quote:
Could we be looking at laundry hung out to dry?
How many feet would you say are between the clothes and the ground? 10...12 feet? It must have been a really tall mother. no doubt an illusion.

I appreciate the follow-ups on Mimi Forsythe JeffDiego and GaylordWilshire
Earlier..I didn't see the comments at collectorsweekly

These two [concerning her son] are interesting.

I wonder why her son didn't keep the painting?

__

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos