HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 3:32 PM

What does this mean about the future of Google? I always heard they were going to permanently locate their offices in Skysong. Will they move into a future phase, or are they not moving there? I've always hoped Google would set up camp in DT Tempe or Phoenix, near light rail like they said, so any news about Google staying out of Scottsdale would be good news.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 5:26 PM

I'd never heard anything about Google at SkySong. I always heard that they selected Tempe because of the proximity to ASU, so I always assumed they'd locate somewhere near DT Tempe.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 8:24 PM
under the influence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
What does this mean about the future of Google? I always heard they were going to permanently locate their offices in Skysong. Will they move into a future phase, or are they not moving there? I've always hoped Google would set up camp in DT Tempe or Phoenix, near light rail like they said, so any news about Google staying out of Scottsdale would be good news.
Google is not leaving Tempe. There was never a plan for Google to move to Skysong. They will most likely move somewhere in the office park north of the town lake.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 8:38 PM

Well, maybe there wasn't a "plan", but I thought through all of the articles about Google's expansion that they were possibly going to move into Skysong, and my memory is serving me that it was a strong possibility. I'm glad to hear they are staying in Tempe. Maybe that "mystery" company that is taking up all of B3 at Hayden Ferry Lakeside is Google (if they even need that much room).

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 5:51 AM

Phx31 is right. I, too remembered Skysong as a future possibility.
Check it:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...oogle0311.html
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...4google04.html

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 6:27 AM
Skyriser

I can confirm that Google had some intent on moving to Skysong...but given our own flux of whether we'll move there as well leads me now to doubt this.

There are advantages to working with/for ASU off campus, but if they're talking up synergy, isolated campus extensions benefit little compared to all the advantages you would have being within walking distance or at least as said above light rail.

Having ASU engineering in the middle with the rest of the campus on the south and Google in the north, in Hayden Ferry Lakeside looks like a powerful lineup. To that end, it would be better for Skysong to house a bunch of small-presence cutting-edge companies--sort of like "The Hub" in downtown Phoenix, rather than Google leasing entire buildings. It looks as if that may be the end result.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 7:21 AM

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/ind...dest=STY-83542

Scottsdale residents seek vote on transit options
By Brian Powell, Tribune
February 5, 2007
Scottsdale residents from the north and south are calling for a city election to gauge the community’s interest in a light-rail or streetcar system.

Bob Vairo, president of the north Scottsdalebased Coalition of Pinnacle Peak, and Mike Merrill, a south Scottsdale activist, submitted signed petitions from residents and business owners last month requesting a nonbinding “advisory” election on the fixed-rail transit systems being considered for Scottsdale Road.

“An issue of this importance should go to the voters first,” Vairo said. “It would be the biggest step and most expensive step the city has ever taken.”

The council is scheduled to take up the issue Tuesday — the city’s charter requires it to act on a petition within 30 days — but is under no obligation to call such an election. The meeting starts at 5 p.m. at City Hall, 3939 N. Drinkwater Boulevard.

State law allows the council to call a public transportation advisory election at any time. The council would not be bound by the results of the advisory election. The next election opportunity would be Sept. 11.

Merrill gathered more than 200 e-mails and signatures in support of the advisory election, while about 60 COPP members signed the petition that requests sending “an advisory question to the voters regarding any plan, funding or construction of any rail transit system down any portion of Scottsdale Road.”

If the council approves light rail or modern streetcars without a vote of the people, both Vairo and Merrill said a referendum effort is likely. The city is also considering bus rapid transit that would initially run from the city’s southern border north to either SkySong at McDowell Road or to downtown.

Council members have indicated a public vote is likely to decide the future of light rail, if for no other reason than to obtain funding for the project that would connect to the $1.4 billion, 20-mile light-rail route under construction in Phoenix, Tempe and Mesa that’s set to open in December 2008.

“I would imagine all of us thought that if we ever got to the point where we felt that light rail absolutely should be a component of the plan that it would go to the voters,” said Mayor Mary Manross, who did not say how she’d vote on the advisory election request.

The petitions are the latest development in the light-rail debate that has heated up in Scottsdale over the past few months as the city’s $1.1 million transportation plan update — which is also studying traffic circulation and bike and pedestrian paths — moves closer to a council vote this fall. In December, the council voted 4-3 to keep Scottsdale Road as the city’s designated transit corridor for a possible light-rail line or streetcar system despite an effort from some council members to kill the possibility of a fixed-rail system ever running up and down the city’s major thoroughfare.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 8:36 AM

...It seems to me like light rail is the best chance they have at revitalizing some of those older south scottsdale neighborhoods. i'm surprised they are not embracing it, given the economic development along the line.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 9:11 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
A line going all the way up Rural/Scottsdale Rd connection to the East-West line in Tempe, and going all the way up to City North would probably get a good amount of use. Though perhaps until Kierland and City North grow and become more dense, the line should just go to Camelback Rd & Scottsdale or so.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 6:56 AM

I'd be happy if the line stopped at McDowell-

It's fine if North Scottsdale has not warmed up to the idea- but for the Sky Song development- nothing would seem more functional than a rail that connected Sky Song to ASU Main to ASU Downtown...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 3:53 PM

Where would you guys envision the Scottsdale line connecting with the main line? Would it go down straight down Rural and meet the line at Apache? Would it break off at Washington and Mill and make it's way to Scottsdale Rd. from there? Would it (as someone here on the forum suggested a while back), go from Priest & Washington north past the zoo and then turn east on McDowell?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 3:54 PM

Where would you guys envision the Scottsdale line connecting with the main line? Would it go down straight down Rural and meet the line at Apache? Would it break off at Washington and Mill and make it's way to Scottsdale Rd. from there? Would it (as someone here on the forum suggested a while back), go from Priest & Washington north past the zoo along Galvin Pkwy. and then turn east on McDowell?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 4:38 PM
zzzzzzzz

FYI I posted an article from today's Republic about the council's vote (6-1 in favor of a public vote) on the Phoenix Transit page. There was a brief mention in the article about considering other alignments instea of Scottsdale Rd.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Where would you guys envision the Scottsdale line connecting with the main line? Would it go down straight down Rural and meet the line at Apache? Would it break off at Washington and Mill and make it's way to Scottsdale Rd. from there? Would it (as someone here on the forum suggested a while back), go from Priest & Washington north past the zoo along Galvin Pkwy. and then turn east on McDowell?

It would have to feed in from Rural since it's purpose would be connecting the 3 ASU campus' right?
(It would have to back track with the 2nd idea)

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 7:02 AM

Scottsdale streets paved with wealthier incomes
By Shanna Hogan, Tribune
February 4, 2007
The rich are getting richer in Scottsdale. In the last six years, Scottsdale’s median household income increased from $57,969 to an estimated $68,053, according to the latest 2006 demographic report. That’s a 3.4 percent increase over inflation and about 2.6 percent more than Arizona’s estimated increase from $40,646 in 2000 to $46,669 in 2006.

And Scottsdale’s residential wealth is likely to escalate even further in the next five years.

The city’s median income is projected to grow about 11 percent to $75,359 from $68,053. The state’s median is expected to go from an estimated $46,669 in 2006 to $51,204 in 2011, or about 10 percent.

Already home to some of the Valley’s most upscale locations, the new numbers point to a greater affluence that is expected to attract even more luxury retail, dining and services, further magnifying Scottsdale’s ritzy reputation.

“We are going to continue to get high-end stuff,” said Dave Roderique, Scottsdale economic vitality manager. “High-end retailers and services want to locate near an affluent population. There are some retailers that we’re talking to now that are very interested in this area because of the affluence.”

For example, the elite department store Barney’s New York is planning to open a location at Scottsdale Fashion Square in 2009. High-priced shopping centers, swank restaurants and specialty services like personal trainers and interior decorators will continue to set up shop in Scottsdale in the next several years, Roderique said.

The latest demographic fi gures were compiled by Sites USA, a Chandler company that uses U.S. Census fi gures to project city growth, wealth and demographic information annually. Scottsdale purchases the information to plan for the city’s future economic needs.

While the numbers show wealth is on the rise, the fi gures are likely even higher than projected because the city has a high percentage of retirees who are living off their fortunes and no longer bringing in income, said Harry Higgins, Scottsdale senior planner.

“Household income is not necessarily a representation of total wealth,” Higgins said. “We’ve got people who have net assets in the millions of dollars, and the only income they have is maybe, interest.”

Projections in the report also show Scottsdale has a high number of super-wealthy, most who reside in the northern part of the city.

About 11 percent of Scottsdale’s residents earn $200,000 a year or more. In comparison, only about 3 percent of the population in Arizona earn $200,000 a year or more.

“Scottsdale has a signifi - cantly larger percentage of high-income earners than other parts of the Valley,” said Todd Smith, Sites USA president.

And while the city’s median income was estimated to be $68,053 in 2006, Scottsdale’s average income was $97,414.

“If you have a large difference between average and median income, like in Scottsdale, that tends to show you there’s more polarization as far as there’s a fairly high number of low income housing, offsetting some of the higher income homes,” Smith said.

Although wealth increases substantially in the northern part of the city, the southern sections of Scottsdale have a median income well above the Valley’s average. Maricopa County’s median household income was $45,538, while south Scottsdale’s was $56,721, according to the 2000 Census, the latest numbers available.

In the past few decades, Scottsdale has grown from a western town with a frontier personality into a wealthy community with a national reputation for affl uence. That evolution is credited to city planning and early development which set the tone for upscale city growth.

“It’s all a culmination of a bunch of things,” Roderique said. “A lot of resorts were built, which started attracting a lot of high-end retail, and that, in turn, attracted some of the high-end residential.”

Also by setting strict building regulations, and planning for large lot sizes, city planners were able to steer Scottsdale in a direction that would attract wealth, Roderique said.

Upscale businesses in both north and south Scottsdale have prospered in recent years due to the rising wealth.

About 16 years ago, Scott Gauthier opened the posh custom design jewelry store, Jewelry by Gauthier, in downtown Scottsdale. Specializing in rare stones and handcrafted settings, the pieces range in price from about $1,200 to several million dollars.

“In the last even two to three years I’ve noticed a tremendous difference in the number of wealthy people even coming in off the streets,” Gauthier said. “It’s been a very affl uent crowd.”

And the two new condo projects, the Optima Camelview Village and the Scottsdale Waterfront, will bring even more wealth to the downtown area, he said.

“A lot of these condos are just starting to get occupied,” Gauthier said. “Once that happens, the change will be tremendous.”

Did you know . . .

• About 74 percent of Scottsdale residents have attended college; 44 percent of residents have a bachelor’s degree or higher.

• About 80 percent of employed Scottsdale residents have a “white collar” job.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau; Inflation Data; Sites USA Scottsdale Demographic Report

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 7:07 AM

Some pictures of the Civic Center Mall area in Old Town...
I always really liked this place!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2007, 4:41 AM

ahhhhh ^^^^^^ WELCOME TO SCOTTSDALE! i love this city. downtown scottsdale is fast on its way to becoming a global retail and tourist destination. it already is but in the next 5 years it will be way more so. one thing about scottsdale that kinda sucks is the height restrictions. i wouldnt want any tall towers in north scottsdale (gasp did i just say that on ssp?) but downtown it would be cool if they would at least allow for 20 stories. that would be awesome.

I cant wait for the whole waterfront project to be done. also, i saw a sign on 68th st and camelback saying something about putting an upscale shopping center in that empty dirt lot there. has anybody heard anything about that? or is that where the fashion square expansion is going? actually maybe not, if i remember right the expansion is going on the east side of the mall. i dont know.. im done with my rant

Old Posted Feb 10, 2007, 5:44 AM

The expansion for Fashion Square is going on the east side. They are tearing down the old Robinsons-May building and the parking garage and building the Barneys store and a wing. I believe there are plans for some streetscape retail as well.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2007, 7:54 PM

http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...lestateZ8.html

Downtown's tallest building opens next week
Peter Corbett
The Republic
Feb. 9, 2007 12:00 AM

SCOTTSDALE - Downtown Scottsdale's tallest building is opening its doors to occupants next week at the first of Scottsdale Waterfront's twin 13-story condominium towers.

Developers late Thursday showed off parts of the 143-foot western tower along the northern side of the Arizona Canal, southwest of Camelback and Scottsdale roads.

With its height, location and lofty prices, the $240 million Scottsdale Waterfront Residences is the most prominent landmark of downtown's redevelopment.

Whatever you think of them, the condo towers will help change the Scottsdale skyline. The towers are as tall as the AmTrust Bank, two blocks to the west.

When both towers are completed sometime this summer, it will bring hundreds of occupants to 198 luxury condos. Those buyers paid an average of $1.2 million for their residential perches above a new urban scene in Scottsdale.

The buy-in for the three remaining units starts at $1.7 million.

New tier of luxury condos
Scottsdale Waterfront and the Optima Camelview condos, which bracket Scottsdale Fashion Square, along with hundreds of other luxury condos opening downtown, will bring a completely new tier of luxury residential living to the city.

Optima welcomed some of its residents in the fall but downtown will really get the big influx of new residents throughout this year.

That will be reflected in higher median prices for new downtown condos. This past year, developers built 600 new condos citywide, but the median price was just over $275,000.

Residents need services
As the new residents move in, the next challenge for Scottsdale is convenient downtown services and enhancing pedestrian flow throughout the city's center.

Redevelopment and soaring land prices already have pushed grocery stores and gas stations out of the area.

The paradox is that new residents cannot walk to a market. Plus, most of the area's remaining gas stations are on the fringe of downtown, to the south and east.

Of course, downtown's restaurateurs are clearly banking on new residents shunning grocery stores and dining with them.

Scottsdale Waterfront residents will have an impressive choice of restaurants just below them and even more in the spring when the SouthBridge project starts to open on the southern side of the Arizona Canal.

The Waterfront's two condo towers are being built by a partnership of OWR Development, an affiliate of Opus West Corp., and Geoffrey Edmunds, who is known for luxury single-family homes in the Northeast Valley.

Condos built over 2 years
The developers broke ground on the western tower two years ago. Completion of the eastern tower is expected in the second quarter.

It is the final component of the long-awaited Waterfront project.

Scottsdale's views will change remarkably when the Waterfront penthouses are lit at night.

And the residents will enjoy some remarkable views, especially those lucky enough to sun themselves aside rooftop pool decks.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 7:16 PM

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/ind...dest=STY-83891

Proposed hotel, condos could uproot residents
By Brian Powell, Tribune
February 11, 2007
Look up and the glamour and wealth of Scottsdale engulfs you. Safari Drive condominiums are under construction directly across the Arizona Canal. Two towers of the Scottsdale Waterfront provide a backdrop to the west.

Turn to the south and the planned W Scottsdale Hotel frame is visible.

Look down and you will find one of Scottsdale’s rare pockets of rundown apartments, a place some area residents refer to as the “Scottsdale ghetto.”

Neighbors say police cars are a common sight as they drive down 73rd Street north of Camelback Road and through the parking lots behind the apartment buildings that back up to the canal.

But those days may be numbered, as another high-end downtown development has been proposed that would replace the rented homes with a 72-foot luxury hotel and 65-foot condo buildings, pushing highrises ever closer to established single-family home neighborhoods.

“Look at all the building going on,” said Marian Dole, who lives across the street from the planned project. “This is going to happen. It’s inevitable.”

The proposed Waterview project — which developers say is a working title that will be changed — is both praised and criticized by neighbors. They like the idea of cleaning up the block along 73rd Street, but are wary of a long construction project. In addition to those who would be forced to move, renters across the street feel they may be next. Others have concerns about taller buildings surrounding their primarily single-level homes and the loss of view corridors.

City activists who do not live in the neighborhood have also expressed concern about the height, with one already threatening a referendum.

The Scottsdale City Council must approve a rezoning request before the project can move forward. A formal application is expected in about a month, project developer Mark Madkour said. No public hearings have been set.

The Waterview project would start at the northeast corner of Scottsdale and Camelback roads and continue north and east along the canal. The hotel and restaurants would be closer to the intersection and the condos farther east along the canal.

The developer has assembled vacant offices on Camelback Road, the apartment buildings north and east along 73rd Street and four singlefamily homes at the end of the block.

A preliminary submittal to the city last month says the sixbuilding project would feature the tall buildings, which are both allowed under the downtown zoning the developers are seeking. The early plans call for 200 luxury and resort guest units, 200 condo units and 14 private homes. In addition to dining and drinking establishments, the project would boast a “sky-level” pool, restaurant and bar. Meeting rooms, a spa, underground parking and a bridge across the canal also are planned.

“It’s going to be over the top; it’s going to be rather remarkable ... and nothing like that which is already offered,” Madkour said.

Project developer John Wanninger said they have selected a 5-star hotel flag not presently in Arizona, but due to a nondisclosure agreement cannot release the name at this time. If the project is approved by the council, Wanninger said he hopes to break ground by early 2008.

“I’m encouraged they plan to do away with what is almost a slum and put something in that’s relatively nice,” Councilman Wayne Ecton said. “Whatever goes there will be better than what is there today.”

Recently, a speeding car ran into a building in the neighborhood. And five apartment properties have been hit by codeenforcement violations in the past month, including faulty weather protection, litter control and public nuisance.

Nancy Cantor, Scottsdale Coalition co-chairwoman and a city activist, said she expects the group will oppose the height request. Bob Vairo, president of the Coalition of Pinnacle Peak residents’ group, said he also has his eyes on the project to make sure the neighborhood, which includes single-family homes and the Villa Monterey patio home community, is protected from the height.

“This is going to be a controversial one,” Councilman Bob Littlefield said. “Right now, people are not in a ‘height and density’ mood.”

Rose Snell said many of her neighbors she has spoken with plan to relocate wherever there is a place, possibly in the Holiday Park area near Thomas Road and 68th Street.

“They are not totally worried,” Snell said. “They will go wherever there is a place.”

Snell rents across the street. Her unit is not part of this project, but she realizes it could one day be purchased for another project.

“The rent is cheap and sometimes I wish we could move,” Snell said. “Eventually we will have to move.”

Joe Mims, who owns a singlefamily home across the street from the planned project, said he doesn’t plan to stick around to watch the construction take place outside his front door. He said the project is progress and will clean up the neighborhood and eventually raise property values in the area, but he is concerned with the height closing in on the neighborhood.

“We’ll never see the sunset in this neighborhood again,” Mims said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest