HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 12:10 AM
Unregistered Loser

[Saint John] Restaurants

I'm interested in finding out what everyone's favorite restaurants are. Also, what restaurants you would like to see in Saint John.

Mexi's has always been one of my favourites; I used to eat there with friends weekly or more often when I was a bit younger.

I'm not sure what new restaurants I'd like to see, there are still new ones I haven't tried yet. I think we need a good classy restaurant. I used to like the Top of the Town, but it's not fancy anymore.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 2:09 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

This is a question rather than a suggestion, but does SJ have any sort of "street eats" scene? Such as food carts, food trucks, late night counters, the sort of food you tend to order, and eat, standing up on the sidewalk.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 2:23 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
This is a question rather than a suggestion, but does SJ have any sort of "street eats" scene? Such as food carts, food trucks, late night counters, the sort of food you tend to order, and eat, standing up on the sidewalk.
There are various hot dog carts throughout the uptown; I haven't seen any food trucks in years. Other than that, mostly Subway for late night food. There is a canteen near the volleyball courts at Market Square, but I don't know what they offer. Market Square has a number of restaurants/bars with a patio at ground level, which tend to be busier when there are events on stage, across from them.

Usually during special events, like Canada day, there are more varied types of vendors.

The other areas, such as the east side, are automobile based.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 8:34 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
Mexi's has always been one of my favourites; I used to eat there with friends weekly or more often when I was a bit younger.
Agreed. I try to go to Mexi's at least once a month. Probably my favourite restaurant uptown. Churchill's is excellent, as well. Thandi's is expensive, but if you're willing to spend it you definitely get your money's worth.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 2:43 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
Agreed. I try to go to Mexi's at least once a month. Probably my favourite restaurant uptown. Churchill's is excellent, as well. Thandi's is expensive, but if you're willing to spend it you definitely get your money's worth.
I like Churchill's, and I've never been to Thandi's. I don't eat uptown nearly as much as I should.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 1:00 AM

If you're looking for a burger, Relish (I believe it is on Germain, near Applebee's) makes a damn good one.

Their fries are amazing as well.

Also, if you're looking for a laugh, be sure to tell them a comical name when you order - they're known for chanting out your name when your order is up. Not exactly a "fancy" restaurant, but the decor inside is fairly nice and the price isn't bad (I believe it is $12.99 for a huge burger + fries + drink), made with all local ingredients when available.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 4:38 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post
Also, if you're looking for a laugh, be sure to tell them a comical name when you order - they're known for chanting out your name when your order is up..
Reminds me too much of Reggie's.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 12:59 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post
If you're looking for a burger, Relish (I believe it is on Germain, near Applebee's) makes a damn good one.

Their fries are amazing as well.

Also, if you're looking for a laugh, be sure to tell them a comical name when you order - they're known for chanting out your name when your order is up. Not exactly a "fancy" restaurant, but the decor inside is fairly nice and the price isn't bad (I believe it is $12.99 for a huge burger + fries + drink), made with all local ingredients when available.
I like Relish. I was there once. I found it a bit pricey for a burger, but it was great, and it seemed like a more energetic atmosphere than I'm used to for Saint John. Reminded me of something I'd find in Halifax.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 7:24 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Thought I'd resurrect this thread, especially since SJ has a dining scene that punches WAY above its weight.

Some of my favourite spots to eat in the city are Urban Deli, Churchill's, Taco Pica, and Bourbon Quarter (which I highly recommend for brunch - their pain perdu is heavenly!)

Jeremiah's and Shawarma Hut in the Market are staples for lunch, and Ta-ke's sushi lunch special is actually quite generous for $10.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 7:28 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Also, a bit of intriguing dining scene news. Uptown-based pulled pork lovers will be disappointed to learn that Smoking Pig BBQ's Boardwalk location is shutting down. However, on their Facebook page, their stated reason for the closure is "due to a new tenant taking over the old Boilerworks lease (which includes patio space)". Wonder what sort of place is going in there?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 7:46 PM

I actually really like Britt's Pub. I find they always have decent food and selection of local beers on tap. Plus I really like the atmosphere with the exposed brick and beams. Whenever I make it home, which is twice a year, I always make a point of going.

Happinez is just underneath as well....

And this is my 100th post! Yay me!

Last edited by Southpaw78; Aug 13, 2013 at 7:47 PM. Reason: Just realised it was my 100th post!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 6:00 AM

I'll second the Britt's / Happinez combo. Both are on my "must stop" list whenever I make it back to Saint John - For Britt's; Great food / craft beer selection, and the exposed brick & beams screams Saint John to me. It's absolutely wonderful.

Noticed that there is a Beavertails stand setup by the water st. parking lot at Market Slip. Great draw for the tourists in town.

I must say there does seem to be a lively restaurant selection uptown - between the Boardwalk/Market Square & then the Princess/Prince William sections there's a decent variety of rather high-quality establishments.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
Also, a bit of intriguing dining scene news. Uptown-based pulled pork lovers will be disappointed to learn that Smoking Pig BBQ's Boardwalk location is shutting down. However, on their Facebook page, their stated reason for the closure is "due to a new tenant taking over the old Boilerworks lease (which includes patio space)". Wonder what sort of place is going in there?
It's about time someone took over the old Boilerworks location! Can't wait!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
I believe it is Ryan Duffy's. They have two locations now.
Truro and Halifax.......I think possibly Charletown too?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 8:48 PM

Noticed ANOTHER Sushi location on Canterbury last night. This makes four Sushi places in the city! Wow!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
Noticed ANOTHER Sushi location on Canterbury last night. This makes four Sushi places in the city! Wow!
Don't forget P!nk Sushi as well

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
Don't forget P!nk Sushi as well
Wow! 5 Sushi restaurants in the city. We are really lucky to have such an amazing restaurant selection in SJ.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
I'm interested in finding out what everyone's favorite restaurants are. Also, what restaurants you would like to see in Saint John.

I'm not sure what new restaurants I'd like to see, there are still new ones I haven't tried yet. I think we need a good classy restaurant. I used to like the Top of the Town, but it's not fancy anymore.
I'd love to see an Olive Garden open in Saint John , Also a Nathans (OMG their crinckle cut cheese and bacon fries )

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 7:05 PM
ハルウララ

A Five Guys Uptown would be very welcome, IMO.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 4:42 PM

All of the above are great but I would also add Taste of Egypt which is quite authentic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces