HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 12:17 PM

Antigonish, NS

Highway bucks
Mon. Jan 26 - 5:25 AM

ANTIGONISH — The provincial and federal governments have announced plans to twin a highway near Antigonish and upgrade bridges and overpasses across Nova Scotia.

Ottawa has earmarked up to $30 million to help the province twin an eight-kilometre stretch of Highway 104, Peter MacKay, the Central Nova MP who is also the defence minister, said Sunday in Antigonish.

The $60-million worth of construction on Highway 104 is Phase 2 of a project identified in 2007 to ease congestion, improve safety and reduce travel time.

Both governments also promised to replace Lower South River and Heatherton bridges on Highway 104, Little Bras d’Or Bridge on Highway 105, and Highway 102 overpasses at Milford and Fairview.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 9:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Feds ante up to finish Fundy Trail Parkway
Published Thursday January 29th, 2009

Funding means completion date could be within two years; supporters say coast drive will outshine Cabot Trail

By Mary Moszynski
Times & Transcript Staff

News that the federal government is committed to completing the Fundy Trail Parkway has sparked hope that the project, predicted by some to become a world-renowned tourism destination, will be completed within two years.

In his budget speech on Tuesday, Federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said funds will be available over the next two years to quickly start projects in all provinces.

"In New Brunswick, we will complete the Fundy Trail Parkway," he said.

The parkway, which consists of a two-lane road and biking and hiking trails, currently winds from St. Martins to the Big Salmon River, where a bridge was just completed. But officials admit it's a bridge to nowhere as motorists are forced to turn around and exit the park the same way they entered.

"To get it finished is very important. It doesn't quite work the way it is, it's sort of a dead end," said Stuart Jamieson, the province's tourism minister.

Kathy Weir, operator of the Broadleaf Guest Ranch on Hopewell Hill, said the trail follows the most pristine coastline in North America.

"It'll become a destination. I have no doubt that it'll be the biggest economic impact on the rural communities along the Bay of Fundy."

The completion of the project will link the trail to Fundy National Park. Tourists will be able to travel along the province's scenic coastline from St. Stephen, through the trail and park, to Sackville.

The trail, which supporters say will outshine the Cabot Trail once completed, offers stunning views of cliffs, beaches and the Bay of Fundy.

It attracts roughly 50,000 visitors each year and, once completed, is expected to create millions of dollars in spin-offs for numerous communities including Alma, Hillsborough, Riverside-Albert, Saint John, Sussex and Metro Moncton.

"We don't have a set date, of course, but the fact is the theme that runs throughout the budget on infrastructure spending is we need to put forward and begin work on projects that are ready to go. And this is a project that work is ready to go on it," said Fundy-Royal Conservative MP Rob Moore.

Frank Wilson, president of the Fundy Trail Development Authority, said it might be a little difficult to complete the project in two years.

"That might be running a little tight. I think I told government a little while ago we could have the project done in three years," he said.

There is roughly 30 kilometres of work that needs to completed, as well as upgrades to existing provincial roads.

Roughly $30 million is needed to complete the trail and another $17 million could be required to upgrade provincial roads to finish the project.

The project started roughly 20 years ago when the province purchased 28,000 hectares of land from the Hearst Corporation.

Jamieson has been working on the project since the beginning.

"It's something that I ran (my campaign) on back in 1987. I'm certainly excited today to hear the federal government is going to step up to the plate in a big way," he said.

Jamieson said he's convinced the project would double the need for hotels, motels and bed & breakfasts in the impacted communities. About half of the expected financial spin-offs would go to Moncton, Jamieson added.

Moore said he will work with his colleagues and provincial government to finalize the details of the project.

Daniel Allain, executive director of Downtown Moncton Inc., said the project will draw people to the city.

"It's going to have a direct impact on the Greater Moncton area because we have the Fundy Gateway in Riverview and (visitors) will come downtown and they'll do the Fundy Gateway, the Fundy Trail and they'll come back and sleep downtown that night."

Personal note: It may be T&T hyperbole to say that the Fundy Trail will "outshine the Cabot Trail", but it will complement the Cabot Trail quite nicely and there is no question that it will constitute the "scenic route" between Moncton and Saint John.

Saint Martins and the existing parkway are spectacular but the ability to carry on from Salmon River to Fundy Park, Alma, Cape Enrage, the Hopewell Rocks and the lower Petitcodiac River valley will make for an enticing route for tourists to take. There is no question that this should prove a boon to tourism in southern NB.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jan 29, 2009 at 10:03 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 10:20 PM

^That sounds great for Southern NB.

I think if Southern NB and NS work together we could get an impressive Fundy theme going on.

Just imagine having a cool scenic highway stretching from SJ up the coast to Sackville with a Petitcodiac leg up to Moncton, going across the Tantramar with the new wind farm(s), winding down through Chignecto and Parrsboro to the Tidal Bore in Truro. If they are determined they could even complete the loop to the SJ - Digby ferry.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 11:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
^That sounds great for Southern NB.

I think if Southern NB and NS work together we could get an impressive Fundy theme going on.

Just imagine having a cool scenic highway stretching from SJ up the coast to Sackville with a Petitcodiac leg up to Moncton, going across the Tantramar with the new wind farm(s), winding down through Chignecto and Parrsboro to the Tidal Bore in Truro. If they are determined they could even complete the loop to the SJ - Digby ferry.
You're quite right BedfordDJ, you could carry the Fundy theme all the way from St. Stephen through to at least Truro.

Just think, you could link Saint Andrews, Saint John, the existing parkway, Saint Martins, Fundy Park, Cape Enrage, Hopewell Rocks, Moncton, the orchards of the lower Petitcodiac, Sackville and Mount A., the Tantramar Marshes, the fossil cliffs of Joggins, Parrsboro and the fossil museum, Cape Chignecto, Cap d'Or lighthouse, the scenic drive down the Minas Basin, Five Islands and Truro all in a 2-3 day drive. It would rival anything in North America.

I think NB and NS tourism should get together on this right now!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 11:58 AM

I am utterly disappointed that the Fundy Trail Parkway is being allowed to continue construction, it represents a pox on our native New Brunswick environment and should have been quelled years ago. And to think the project is getting tens of millions of dollars while Saint John needs drinking water that meets health standards is a disgusting mis-allocation of funds.

The Fundy coast between Big Salmon River and Fundy National Park is one of the most pristine, magnificent coastal areas in Eastern North America, it contains some of the only old growth trees left in the Maritimes, provides invaluable habitat for mammals, fish, birds, rare plants, etc., and our logical reaction as a society is "Let's put a big road right through it!" The area should have been annexed as part of Fundy National, be excluded from all ATV activity and the only way in and out of it should be the Fundy Footpath, which is often less than a metre wide.

I know I probably sound like a whackjob about this, but I have hiked great distances into the area many times, and the act of simply being there has been one of the most euphoric experiences of my life. There is something special, something spectacular about that little region that makes it different than anywhere else I've travelled, and I just can't come to grips with the idea that a road will go right through it.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 2:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the Fundy Trail from Big Salmon River to Fundy Park will head inland to join with the existing park entrance on the 114. If so, the Fundy coastline between the Big Salmon River and the boundary of Fundy Park will remain pristine.

BTW, I support the idea of expanding Fundy Park westward to the Big Salmon River. Didn't the province buy all this land back from the Hearst Corporation anyway? If so, they could just sell it to the feds.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 7:59 PM

Kentville, NS

Site Chosen for New Kentville School
Department of EducationFebruary 12, 2009 10:43 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kentville and area elementary students will soon be getting a kick out of their new school.

The Department of Education will invest $19 million to replace Kings County Academy. The new 570-student, Primary-to-Grade 8 school will be located on a soccer field beside the Valley Sports and Events Centre on Park Street. It is expected to open in January 2011.

"We are committed to building safe, healthy and effective schools for our students," said Education Minister Judy Streatch. "Kentville and area students will soon be learning in a state-of-the-art school that will meet their needs and the needs of the community for many years to come."

The project was originally a three-year renovation to the current school, set to begin in 2007. But after looking at the financial viability of the project, it was changed to new construction and site selection began.

"I am delighted that students will soon be enjoying a new school in Kentville," said Lavinia Parrish Zwicker, chair of the Annapolis Valley Regional School Board. "Kings County Academy has a proud history, and it will be very exciting for students, parents and the community to watch a new chapter being written."

The site is being purchased from the Town of Kentville.

"Town council wanted to help find a home for the school at a central site near the downtown," said Mayor David Corkum. "We're pleased with the location, which will provide the students with direct access to Kentville's superb recreational facilities, and look forward to walking through the doors of the new Kings County Academy next year."

The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal will oversee the design and construction, which is expected to start this summer.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 9:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Solar firm plans over 300 jobs
Published Thursday February 12th, 2009

Umoe Solar says workers have already been hired for demolition phase
BY KRIS MCDAVID
Times & Transcript Staff

MIRAMICHI - The once foggy details surrounding Umoe Solar's plans for operation in Miramichi became a little clearer yesterday after the company held a closed-door meeting held with government officials.

A spokesman for the Norwegian firm confirmed that it would still be at least two more years before a solar cell plant on the Miramichi will be up and running, but when it is finished, he said there will be hundreds of jobs waiting to be filled.

Ernst Anderson said Umoe Solar hopes to begin a lengthy demolition of the buildings that dot the former UPM-Kymmene paper mill site this spring -- a process that will take at least a year to complete on its own.

"We have a very difficult task to do here," said Anderson. "All the machines are destroyed here so we have to take everything down -- there's a demolition to be done at the pulp mill on the Nelson side as well, and it won't be easy to sell all of the steel."

Last month, Umoe Solar bought UPM's New Brunswick assets -- which include a paper mill and groundwood pulp mill in Miramichi, and sawmills in Bathurst and Blackville.

Anderson said he envisions between 300-350 employees working at the site, with room to grow, depending on the initial success of the venture.

He said the vast majority of workers would be hired from within the region, but added the company would have to recruit at least five or 10 specialized positions from outside of Canada.

"The most important people will need chemical backgrounds, metallurgic backgrounds, and we believe that some of these can be hired from within the region, in places like Saint John," said Anderson.

"About 50 or 60 people will need a university degree, and after that, some technical background -- I think we can get maybe 50 or 60 per cent of our employees directly from within this (Miramichi) area."

Anderson said the company has already hired five employees who will work during the demolition phase, and that he expects several researchers to be hired within the coming weeks.

Public Safety Minister and Miramichi Centre MLA John Foran said he's thrilled with the first impression the company has made so far.

"From the briefing I just got, to me, they're going to be on the cutting edge of technology, and world leaders in this industry, and there's nothing but greatness that I can see for Miramichi," said Foran.

"The fact that they're here and have hired several people on the staff from the Miramichi area, this tells me that they're committed."

Miramichi Bay du Vin MLA Bill Fraser agreed, saying he can't see any negatives by having the Norwegian firm operating in the city.

Fraser said he's grateful that, after searching the world over for a location to set up a base of operations, the company chose to be in Miramichi.

"With the future being green, there's nothing but potential here," said Fraser. "The spin-offs from this are going to be tremendous -- the demolition and construction phases will present all kinds of work for local companies like Sunny Corner Enterprises, Atcon Industrial, and other supply shops."

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 11:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

N.B. eyes road cash
Published Friday February 13th, 2009

Premier Shawn Graham meets Prime Minister Stephen Harper, seeks funding to twin Hwy. 11 between Shediac and Miramichi
By Mary Moszynski
Times & Transcript Staff

FREDERICTON - The provincial government is eyeing a public-private partnership to twin the stretch of highway running from Shediac to the Miramichi region, with construction beginning as early as 2010.

Premier Shawn Graham said he made the pitch for federal funds for the project during a meeting with Prime Minister Stephen Harper in Ottawa yesterday.

"We could see initial construction begin in 2010-11. It would take a minimum of three to four years to complete and using a public-private partnership model, funding might not be required for several years," said Graham.

The province also wants federal funds to upgrade Route 17, which runs through northern New Brunswick.

A public meeting on the twinning of the 33-kilometre stretch of road between Shediac and Bouctouche will be held sometime before March.

Although the project can't begin immediately, Graham said it's important that government look beyond the short-term to projects that will be important once the economy recovers.

"Let's not lose sight of the long-term projects as well," he said.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 11:25 PM

Grand Pre, King's County, NS

Grand Pre's bid for UNESCO status gets boost

By GORDON DELANEY Valley Bureau
Mon. Feb 16 - 6:02 PM

GRAND PRE — A bid proposal to have Grand Pre designated a UNESCO world heritage site received a major financial boost Monday.

All three levels of government will contribute $1.3 million to a project that would see the area, site of the Acadian Expulsion in 1755, receive recognition as a worldwide historic and cultural treasure.

The bid process, being prepared by a nomination advisory board, began two years ago. The deadline for the proposal is 2010.

“Nova Scotians know that Grand Pre and surrounding area is a place of very special significance,” Premier Rodney MacDonald told about 100 people gathered at Grand Pre National Historic Site Monday.

It’s easy to understand why local residents and Acadians from one end of the province to the other are so proud.’’

Mr. MacDonald announced that the province will contribute $280,000 to the bid process.

“Grand Pre is an outstanding example of a distinctive community-based approach to farming in the 17th and 18th centuries in North America,” he said.

“It is an inspiration for Acadians, artists, writers and poets.”

He added that the Acadian story has become a symbol of hope and perseverance.

“It’s time, I think, that we told the story of Grand Pre to the rest of the world.”

He said the designation would add to the province’s international competitiveness as a tourism and cultural designation, along with creating new economic opportunities.

Senator Gerald Comeau announced the federal government will contribute $211,348 toward the bid, through the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency. Parks Canada will contribute $500,000, while the Municipality of Kings will kick in $23,000.

Also contributing are the Kings Community Economic Development Agency ($117,000) and Societe Promotion Grand-Pre ($54,000).

Provincial Acadian Affairs Minister Chris d’Entremont said Acadians across the province are working on the project.

“We have something very special in Grand Pre,” said local Coun. John Fuller.
“The history is unique."

About 10,000 Acadians were disbursed throughout the world after the Grand Derangement, as it is known.

Canada now has 15 official world heritage sites, with two in Nova Scotia — Lunenburg and Joggins Fossil Cliffs.

Grand Pre was placed on a tentative list of sites in 2004.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 8:31 PM

Truro, Colchester County, NS

Call for Truro redevelopment proposals falls flat
METRO HALIFAX
February 18, 2009 12:08

There is little interest in redeveloping Truro’s old buildings.

The town had issued a request for proposals in January for five vacant or soon-to-be vacant buildings. The invitation for development proposals closed Monday morning with only two proposals received for Willow Street Elementary School.

That leaves four properties (two parcels of land on the waterfront currently used as public works facilities, the nearby former jail and Alice Street Elementary School) with no proposals.

“People may be holding off a little bit based on the economic climate,” Mayor Bill Mills suggested, adding that the town may have to cast to a larger audience with its advertising

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 4:43 PM

South Shore, NS

MP Keddy calls for Highway 103 improvements

By Our Staff
Sat. Feb 21 - 9:07 AM
BRIDGEWATER — Highway 103 needs to be upgraded to the standard of the other 100-series highways in the province, says Gerald Keddy.

"My personal belief is there needs to be a 100-series highway all the way to Yarmouth," the South Shore-St. Margarets MP said Friday. "There’s a safety issue on the entire highway — it’s not simply on one section of the highway — and all of those issues have to be balanced."

Mr. Keddy’s riding runs from Shad Bay in Halifax Regional Municipality through Lunenburg, Queens and Shelburne counties to just beyond Clark’s Harbour.

Nadine Ann Rogers, 38, of Marriotts Cove died Tuesday in a head-on collision at Exit 6 in Hubbards.

Provincial figures showed 10 people died on the highway last year, making it the deadliest in the province in 2008. In the past five years, 45 people have died and 400 were injured on Highway 103.

Mr. Keddy, who was in Bridgewater for an announcement on sewer upgrades for Lunenburg and Bridgewater, said the entire highway needs to be reviewed.

"I don’t think it’s about one section of the highway over another," he said.

"It’s a matter of making sure that the highway’s safe all the way from Halifax to Yarmouth. You know, we’ve got a real bottleneck on the 103 in the Port Mouton area where we have 22 kilometres of secondary road with tractor-trailers on a regular basis. We’ve got a high-traffic area on the 103 from Tantallon down to the Hubbards exit; all of those things are important. It’s very, very difficult to try to pick one over the other. It all needs work."

The province is planning to twin the highway from Upper Tantallon to Hubbards, the site of Tuesday’s fatal crash, but cannot say when that work will be done.

More than 3,700 people have signed an online petition asking the government to twin the highway from Exit 5 to Exit 13 and to upgrade it from Exit 13 to Exit 19, and more than 3,500 people have joined a Facebook site dedicated to the effort.

Premier Rodney MacDonald said Friday the province is committed to upgrading the 103.

"There’s going to be some work announced in due course with respect to upgrades and such," he said.

"We made a commitment to upgrade all of our highways over a time period, but those announ-cements will be for another day."

Mr. Keddy said safety isn’t his only concern.

The highway is also crucial to the economy of southwest Nova Scotia and he said Transport Canada and the provincial Transportation Department need to discuss improving the section of highway from Port Mouton to Sable River just as much as they need to discuss twinning the busier sections

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 4:57 PM

Brule Point, Colchester County, NS

Golf, housing development under way
Capital being raised for project through economic development investment fund
By Our Staff
Sat. Feb 21 - 4:46 AM
Developers of a North Shore golf and housing development are pushing on with financing efforts to keep their project moving forward this summer.

The Ocean Links’ project, which includes an 18-hole golf course and nearly 150 residential lots, is being developed at Brule Point, between Tatamagouche and Brule, off the Sunrise Trail.

Project spokesman Derek Forsythe said in an interview this week that capital is being raised through a community economic development investment fund to invest in the golf course, which has been designed by Nova Scotia architect Robert LeBlanc.

"We have about 85 per cent of five holes done and hopefully, we will get nine holes completed this year and ready for 2010," he said. The speed of the course construction will depend on how much is raised through the investment fund. The finished 18-hole course, which will have 13 holes along the water, will be about 7,000 yards in length. Mr. Forsythe said a second offering will be made in late spring or early summer.

Community economic development investment funds are set up under a provincial government program that permits people to raise capital for new businesses or existing businesses interested in expanding. Investors qualify for a number of tax advantages.

Mr. Forsythe said developers will soon submit a residential infrastructure plan (water, sewer, et cetera) to the Municipality of Colchester County for approval of the first phase of the residential development, which will involve 48 lots.

There are builders interested in constructing homes on spec, and those homes will also be used as show homes, Mr. Forsythe said.

Developers expect to have all the required information together on the project by early April for people who have expressed interest.

Mr. Forsythe said the global financial crunch has not hurt the project.

"We haven’t seen any effect, and interest hasn’t waned," he said.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Call for Truro redevelopment proposals falls flat
METRO HALIFAX
February 18, 2009 12:08

There is little interest in redeveloping Truro’s old buildings.

The town had issued a request for proposals in January for five vacant or soon-to-be vacant buildings. The invitation for development proposals closed Monday morning with only two proposals received for Willow Street Elementary School.

That leaves four properties (two parcels of land on the waterfront currently used as public works facilities, the nearby former jail and Alice Street Elementary School) with no proposals.

“People may be holding off a little bit based on the economic climate,” Mayor Bill Mills suggested, adding that the town may have to cast to a larger audience with its advertising
Shame, so much potential on those 'waterfront' lots. It's actually a riverfront though.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 3:05 PM

Windsor, West Hants, NS

Developers hope to see construction underway this spring

By GLEN PARKER
Sun. Feb 22 - 4:46 AM

Principals in the Mill Island commercial and residential development in Windsor are expecting to resume renovation work on the historic building this spring.

Windsor developer Terry Hines said recently that workers have been hamstrung during the winter. "Our goal is to finish the ground floor and get that full. We plan to start up again in a couple of months."

Mr. Hines said some of the third-floor condos have been sold but the downturn in the economy has become a factor.

"We’ve had a lot of interest in the commercial space," he said. "Right now we’re seeing what comes along and we’ll start back up again."

Mr. Hines’s partner and major Mill Island tenant is Kevin Keefe, owner of Granite Breweries. He acknowledged they were planning on things going a lot more quickly, but echoed his partner’s view that people are "showing quite a bit of interest."

Mr. Keefe said a few prospective tenants are talking about expanding the commercial portion of the building. The original plans were for the third floor to house 16 condominiums; the second floor would be office space and the ground floor commercial and retail space.

Granite Breweries is also changing its Halifax business.

"I’m shutting down the brew pub, taking my equipment and just getting into brewing beer," Mr. Keefe said.

"When I open in the Valley I will have all the mechanism in place to do that plus I can start selling more to pubs in HRM," he said.

"The Mill Island development has been on the back burner. I thought we’d be there by now. We are going to have to get going this summer for sure."

Renovations started in September 2006 on the 125-year old former Nova Scotia Textiles building, close to Highway 101 at Exit 6 in Windsor.

Work has included landscaping, removal of some exterior buildings, extensive interior cleaning and remodelling, and installation of 199 new windows and a new roof.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 3:45 AM

Municipality of East Hants, NS

East Hants talks inland port
Council explores plan for transferring station in Milford Station as part of Atlantic Gateway
By CATHY VON KINTZEL Truro Bureau
Fri. Feb 27 - 4:46 AM
East Hants is positioning itself to be Nova Scotia’s rail and road transportation hub for the Atlantic Gateway.

With a consultant’s study in hand, East Hants municipal councillors agreed this week to explore the idea of creating what they call an inland port for the Port of Halifax along Highway No. 2 in Milford Station.

"I can’t say whether there’ll ever be a need for such a port, but we want to be sure we’re prepared to move forward," Warden John Patterson said in a telephone interview Thursday. "We want to provide a location if this type of facility goes ahead and if people in the area (accept) the concept."

Atlantic Gateway projects would provide improvements to transportation routes and ports across Nova Scotia.

The municipality hired a consultant to prepare a report on ways it could benefit from the Atlantic Gateway.

The report concluded there was opportunity to begin planning an intermodal logistics centre, or inland port, where goods could be transferred from one form of transportation to another; for example, from rail to truck or vice-versa.

The report will soon be posted on the municipality’s website and a public meeting will be held in March, although the date hasn’t been set.

East Hants chief administrative officer Ian Glasgow sees the concept as a rare opportunity that should be explored.

"These types of facilities, and the manufacturing and distribution centres that locate around them, can mean new jobs as well as significant new tax dollars for the municipality," he said in a news release. "That would make a big difference in terms of the services that we could provide to our residents."

Municipal councillors, including Milford’s representative, Willy Versteeg, hope people will think the concept is sound. At the very least, he’s urging them to get familiar with the idea and share their opinions.

"I think the community’s going to be very curious about the project," Mr. Versteeg said in an interview.

"East Hants has what it takes to make this work. We’ve got absolutely fantastic transportation links to air, rail, sea and highway."

Such a port could be located on land along Highway 2, which runs parallel to Highway 102 between Halifax and Truro. The property has access to a CN rail line and is roughly a 20-minute drive to Halifax Stanfield International Airport.

The Colchester Regional Development Agency is also exploring the potential of an inland terminal in Debert, close to where highways 102 and 104 intersect and with access to air and rail.

That potential is one small part of a regional transportation master plan that the development agency recently commissioned in connection to the Atlantic Gateway.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 3:02 AM

Annapolis Valley, NS

N.S., Ottawa to spend $17.5m to widen 101

By THE CANADIAN PRESS
Fri. Mar 6 - 9:08 PM
BERWICK — Nova Scotia and the federal government are spending $17.5 million to widen part of Highway 101 through the province's Annapolis Valley.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced the funding for the project with Premier Rodney MacDonald today at a provincial government transportation depot in Berwick.

Highway 101 is a major east-west route that connects Halifax to Yarmouth.

The money will be spent to put in new passing lanes between Coldbrook and Kingston, a 40-kilometre stretch of the two-lane highway.

MacDonald says work will begin this year and be completed in 2010.

Harper says the spending, to be shared between Nova Scotia and Ottawa, is an example of the money the federal government is making available to help stimulate the economy

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 1:33 PM

Yarmouth, NS

Port of Yarmouth unveils master plan

By BRIAN MEDEL Yarmouth Bureau
Sat. Mar 7 - 4:46 AM
YARMOUTH — The success of a revitalized waterfront here will hinge on a year-round ferry service able to move large numbers of transport trucks to the United States quickly, says a presenter of a recently unveiled port plan for Yarmouth.

"All of that traffic can funnel through Yarmouth," said Jeff Munroe, a study consultant.

Addressing a public meeting Wednesday, he talked of 50 to 60 trucks per ferry crossing and the establishment of a global logistics park, or freight marshalling yard, where shippers from across the province could gather their equipment.

A U.S. Customs pre-clearance facility is also on the port’s radar.

These recommendations and plenty of others are contained in a master plan for the port unveiled Wednesday.

The federal government contributed $35,000 toward the study, which was completed in about seven months by the MacDonnell Group.

The plan calls for $6.5 million worth of harbour dredging and $12 million for a global logistics / freight district.

Material dredged from the bottom of the harbour could be used to expand the logistics and freight marshalling yard, said Mr. Munroe.

Another $1.5 million in wharf and ferry terminal upgrades would bring the initial cash outlay to $20 million.

The Port of Yarmouth has applied for federal funding, said port manager Dave Whiting.

They just don’t know yet how much money they will get initially, he said.

"People are very passionate about this waterfront," said Mr. Munroe when he described the study.

New residential development along the waterfront will bring 24-hour activity to the area, said Mr. Munroe. And a signature waterfront attraction, like an aquarium or entertainment complex, would round out the harbour enhancements.

It’s an ambitious plan that may take many years to complete.

But Mr. Munroe said the plan should not be left to "collect dust."

"Make it happen," he told his audience.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 7:15 PM

Berwick, Kings County, NS

Ohhh five posts of me in a row now. Yay?

Ottawa to pump $4 million into Apple Dome project
Construction could begin in spring in Berwick
By GLEN PARKER
Mon. Mar 9 - 5:33 AM
GREENWICH — Construction of the long-awaited Kings Mutual Century Centre in Berwick could finally begin this spring.

West Nova MP Greg Kerr said Saturday night that Ottawa will contribute $4 million to the project, also known as the Apple Dome.

Mr. Kerr made the announcement during the 8th annual Kings Mutual Century Centre fundraiser at the Old Orchard Inn.

The federal donation will help fundraising organizers get access to another $2 million from the provincial government, which has already contributed $2 million.

The first tenders for site preparation for the $12-million project will be prepared immediately.

"This is one of those projects that is going to stabilize the economy in Nova Scotia," Mr. Kerr said. "From cheering on the Berwick Bruins to attending fireworks for July, the Apple Dome will be a place where community memories are created and treasured for years to come."

George Moody, chairman of the Apple Dome committee, told the crowd of over 400 people gathered for the dinner and auction that "this was a dream that started over eight years ago."

"By the middle of April, tender information will be ready for the beginning of the project itself. The dream is actually coming true."

Upon completion of Phase 1, the Kings Mutual Community Centre will feature an 800-seat hockey arena and a 200-metre walking track. There will also be a 5,000-square-foot community and multi-purpose room.

The centre will be located on 15 acres of donated land in Berwick.

The federal government’s economic action plan, announced in its 2009 budget, includes massive investments in infrastructure, tax relief and funding transfers, a new release said.

The plan will provide close to $12 billion in new infrastructure stimulus funding over two years that will address needs in Canadian communities as well as contribute to long-term economic growth by upgrading roads, water treatment, green energy and transit, the release said.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2009, 2:18 PM

King's County, NS

Chamber praises government funding for Hwy 101 passing lanes

By IAN FAIRCLOUGH Valley Bureau
Mon. Mar 16 - 5:24 AM

KENTVILLE — While disappointed that Ottawa and the province haven’t announced more Highway 101 twinning, the Eastern Kings Chamber of Commerce is praising the governments for funding passing lanes on the highway west of Coldbrook.

The chamber "has repeatedly advocated both the twinning of Highway 101 to Coldbrook and improvements west of Coldbrook," chamber president Gary Morse said in a news release.

"This initiative demonstrates government’s ability to fast-track a project if it is the will of both the federal and provincial governments."

Earlier this month, Premier Rodney MacDonald and Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced more than $17 million in shared funding for eight kilometres of passing lanes on Highway 101 from Coldbrook to Kingston.

The 50-kilometre stretch of highway has only two lanes.

Approved twinning work only goes as far as Avonport.

The stretch from Avonport to Coldbrook, which the province has called a twinning priority, is still undergoing an environmental review and a federal-provincial cost-sharing agreement is not in place.

Mr. Morse said the projected date for completion of twinning to Coldbrook is 2017, provided that other priorities do not delay the work until 2022.

Mr. Morse said the provincial Transportation Department is hosting an open house to give an update on the twinning.

The event takes place at 6 p.m. on March 24 at Horton High School.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces