HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 11:48 PM

Lots of infrastructure dollars being spent in putting lipstick on the pig, aka Terminal 3, but are there plans (and funds) to build another terminal or perhaps connect the two terminals and add more gates, etc?

GTAA has pushed Westjet out to some random mini terminal in the middle of nowhere, but wouldn't it have been better to place the international airlines like BA, KLM, etc out there, due to them having few or no connections to make, so time isn't really of the essence for them, as it is for Westjet?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Lots of infrastructure dollars being spent in putting lipstick on the pig, aka Terminal 3, but are there plans (and funds) to build another terminal or perhaps connect the two terminals and add more gates, etc?

GTAA has pushed Westjet out to some random mini terminal in the middle of nowhere, but wouldn't it have been better to place the international airlines like BA, KLM, etc out there, due to them having few or no connections to make, so time isn't really of the essence for them, as it is for Westjet?
The funds will be debt, everything the airport does is paid for by the airport so it will be based off need. They will eventually build a U.S. spoke in T1, but I assume that is a deacade off.

The new annex is for west jet because west jet wanted it, domestic and international westjet flights will use it so connecting from Thunder Bay to Cuba for example is really easy. It's all long trek there and not even sure if space could handle multiple wide body traffic at once, plus ammenities wise it's lacking for international traffic (duty free, lounges, restaurants etc). Plus I'm sure west jet has had a lot of Input on proces.

I worked for the GTAA few years ago and it was getting tough to find space now I'm sure it's bursting at prime time.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
There are plans to build two more piers on Terminal One round from where the trans-border gates where the small dash-8s park. These gates will be demolished as part of the construction. However, as to when that will happen, I do not know.
As for connecting T3 with T1, I have not seen any plans for doing that, and very much doubt it will happen.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 8:54 PM

the next pier should be coming soon, the master plan for the airport has it as "2014", which clearly didn't happen.. should be the next big capital project on the docket however.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 3:37 PM

That or construction of runway 23L. Though I imagine the expansion of the additional piers for Terminal 1 will start construction before the new runway is built. Both are needed to reduce delays.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
That or construction of runway 23L. Though I imagine the expansion of the additional piers for Terminal 1 will start construction before the new runway is built. Both are needed to reduce delays.
The new pier is needed much faster than a new runway. Passenger numbers are increasing at a greater rate than aircraft movements, which have been more or less stagnant for the better part of two decades. 3 parallel runways are still more than enough for 440,000 movements. Heathrow handles more with only 2 runways. Don't get me wrong, the 4th parallel at YYZ should be built, but it can wait for now.

Another pier at Terminal 1 is needed asap, what with AC expanding their international footprint at unprecedented levels.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
The new pier is needed much faster than a new runway. Passenger numbers are increasing at a greater rate than aircraft movements, which have been more or less stagnant for the better part of two decades. 3 parallel runways are still more than enough for 440,000 movements. Heathrow handles more with only 2 runways. Don't get me wrong, the 4th parallel at YYZ should be built, but it can wait for now.

Another pier at Terminal 1 is needed asap, what with AC expanding their international footprint at unprecedented levels.
I wonder when they will get around to re-activating the infield terminal and using it for international flights again.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 7:14 PM

It was used a few months ago for processing the refuge flights. The main problem with the Infield Terminal is getting passengers there. Bussing them from T1/T3 is a pain, and there isn't really much in the way for getting there for drop off landside. That is a potential, but would require some reconstruction of the outside, and then there's the issue of no car parking for public use in the infield.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 4:07 AM

Quote:
It was used a few months ago for processing the refuge flights. The main problem with the Infield Terminal is getting passengers there. Bussing them from T1/T3 is a pain, and there isn't really much in the way for getting there for drop off landside. That is a potential, but would require some reconstruction of the outside, and then there's the issue of no car parking for public use in the infield.
I remember when T1 was under construction, you checked in and were bussed over. Just need to start doing that again. T1 already has the loading area in place.

Good option for the Air Transat and Sunwing flights. Those could easily be in a satellite terminal such as the infield. Give them a discount on landing fees and they will likely take it.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 11:13 PM

If any airline takes up residence in the Infield terminal I agree it will likely be Air Transat or Sunwing. Essentially all their flights are point-to-point and not connections à la Air Canada or WestJet, so would make sense for them to use it without the concern of passengers having to bus over to T1/3 to clear immigration and then bus back for another connection.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 1:07 AM

Will be a very interesting 5 years for the airport.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 4:33 PM

Quote:
If any airline takes up residence in the Infield terminal I agree it will likely be Air Transat or Sunwing. Essentially all their flights are point-to-point and not connections à la Air Canada or WestJet, so would make sense for them to use it without the concern of passengers having to bus over to T1/3 to clear immigration and then bus back for another connection.
I am trying to think of what other airlines at YYZ, excluding those that have codeshares/interlines with others, are point to point besides Air Transat and Sunwing and would possibly be tenants at the IFT.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto