HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
It's the Kennedy's. It's similar to how a Trump building always get's built. They are both very powerful, and have a lot of money to fund whatever they want.
Firstly, the Kennedy's have owned the site for a long time so this proposal is no different from some that we've seen die before.

Secondly, LOL. Just to name one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_City_Tower

Try to sit back and learn a little first. Real estate development is always, always an uphill battle. There's a million different reasons any given project might not reach completion.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 10:18 PM

** Damn slow internet connections. But suffice it to say that I agree with Buckman...

^^^
The Kennedys have owned this land for years (since the 40's if I'm not mistaken) and have seen plans fail before. Trump has also seen plans fail before (as Fort Lauderdale residents know too well by now). If this project doesn't end up making financial sense it won't get built. And the Kennedys are nothing like Trump. The kennedys have no ego to uphold while Trump puts quite a bit of effort into upholding his; for the kennedys, this just one of many pieces in a vast portfolio that they hope to see become profitable.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 10:22 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
It's the Kennedy's.
i like your enthusiasm, but you've got a lot to learn.

just because this is a kennedy/hines development doesn't mean it will "definitely be built". as others have said, the kennedy family has owned the land for decades and have seen other plans crash and burn.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 10:54 PM

Ok, then I take back what I said. Lets just wait and see what happens.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 11:10 PM
The City

The Kennedy's are great at politics, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are the best at real estate development.

For example, where were they from 1999-2007, one of the greatest real estate booms in recent history? That would have been a golden time to develop this parcel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....kyscraper.html

BY BLAIR KAMIN

May 10, 2012

Wolf Point plan deserves scrutiny; Kennedy family and architect Pelli plan complex that includes 900-foot skyscraper

Is it finally Wolf Point’s time?

Exactly 180 years ago,...

As the story is playing out in the press, it is all about height measurements and the usual NIMBY concerns: blocked views, predictions of nightmarish traffic tie-ups and so forth. What is little-discussed are the essential matters ...
I gotta say, I agree with Blair Kamin about demanding a high level of design, and having a signature tower at this site. We're basically getting one shot at one of the most important parcels of undeveloped land left in the city. Do it right, or don't do it at all.

We've waited this long, I can wait some more if the designs are uninspiring.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
I gotta say, I agree with Blair Kamin about demanding a high level of design, and having a signature tower at this site. We're basically getting one shot at one of the most important parcels of undeveloped land left in the city. Do it right, or don't do it at all.

We've waited this long, I can wait some more if the designs are uninspiring.
Agreed. Cesar Pelli can sometimes be incredible, the Petronas towers for example, so hopefully this is one of those times.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Cesar Pelli can sometimes be incredible, the Petronas towers for example, so hopefully this is one of those times.
http://www.emporis.com/building/migl...chicago-il-usa

Its little brother in the Loop is one of my favorite buildings in Chicago. Such a pity the Skyneedle was never built. It screams Chicago; much moreso than the Spire ever did.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post

Its little brother in the Loop is one of my favorite buildings in Chicago. Such a pity the Skyneedle was never built. It screams Chicago; much moreso than the Spire ever did.
Absolutely loved the Miglin Beitler Skyneedle. Didn't know Cesar Pelli designed that, and it has me very excited to see the Wolf Point designs.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post

I used to really like the Miglin Beitler, but now I think that the setbacks are a little sloppy. But other than that it was quite incredible. If we do ever get a supertall, I hope that it isn't in the loop; it would add a lot more to the skyline if it is to the north or south of there. In the loop might just make the skyline look cluttered.

I also think that this sort of design would be awful for this location - its far to reminiscent of the past and far too boxy. Lately, Pelli has been far less postmodern in his approach to design and I think that, in this location, something stunningly modern would be worthwhile. Something like his Transbay Tower concept or this would be perfect - glassy and modern and hopefully mimicking the curvature of the river. Look at the entrance and staircase to the second one; talk about visual interest at the pedestrian level. If the riverwalk on this complex feels like that with shard of glass poking out, I'd be happy.

As a side note, I've always thought that Wolf Point was a far more fitting location for the Spire than the location of the current spire hole. The setback from the lake would have made the skyline appearance of the Spire less extreme and the shape so perfectly responds to the shape of the lot. The only problem is that it wouldn't cover the apparel mart...
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 4:10 PM

Can we please stay on topic. . . if you want to discuss other buildings please do it in the appropriate thread. . . for example:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...cago+skyneedle

It's becoming tiresome to open these threads to find the level of discussion lazily veering off course. . .

No reply to this post is needed. . . please simply abide. . .

. . .

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 7:58 PM
DENNAB

So according to the folks at SSC we will apparently see renderings at the end of this month...

This will be an awesome project for Chicago!

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 10:06 PM

So I'm guessing this meeting is only for people that they invited?

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 12:08 AM
TL;DR

It's on the RNRA website, so it's public knowledge.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 9:03 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Natarus says he has tried to convey the message to current alderman Brendan Reilly, who is organizing the May 29 meeting, “but our communication isn’t good.”
Doesn't surprise me. Natarus played a huge role in making River North what it is today, and his pro-development stance was good for the area and good for the city, even if some of the development activities could have benefited from a little more coordination from the city.

Reilly, on the other hand, seems as close to anti-development as he can get away with, and some of his "ordinances" reek of corruption, despite him having run on a reform ticket. He's not the most corrupt alderman on the council, but I think he'd get ranked highly in a contest for most hypocritical. Natarus wasn't perfect, but he was usually a straight shooter.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 9:20 PM

http://www.marinacityonline.com/news/wolf0523.htm

Quote:
23-May-12 – A plan to build three mixed-use towers southwest of Merchandise Mart was acknowledged at last night’s River North Residents Association meeting but no one is commenting yet.

France Langan, the new chairman of the River North Business Association and also director of sales and marketing at the Holiday Inn at Chicago Mart Plaza – the view of which would be blocked by the towers – told a small crowd at Skoozi in River North that he would not “tell you how we feel at the Holiday Inn about the project necessarily.”

(Right) Langan speaks at Tuesday’s RNRA meeting.
He did point out that many photographs in National Geographic are of places no longer in existence. “I invite everyone up to the Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza,” said Langan. “Take a look at the view that we have outside the windows. Who knows how long it will be there?”

River North Residents Association and the Fulton River District Association are hosting a community meeting on May 29 at which representatives of Hines Development Corporation will answer questions about the proposal. The complex will include 900-foot and 750-foot residential/commercial towers and a 525-foot residential building on land owned by the Kennedy family.

With support for the Wolf Point project from River North residents far from certain, former 42nd ward alderman Burton Natarus cautioned anyone planning to stop the project.

“It’s all right for the community to go in and for the alderman to go in and stop the project,” said Natarus, alderman from 1971 to 2007, “but then you got to stop and consider who it is, and whether they have money and whether they will go to court. I’ve been in the courthouse several times and when you’re in the courthouse you’re in a different ballgame altogether.”

(Left) Natarus at his last city council meeting on May 9, 2007.
The Kennedy family, he assured the crowd, has money and “probably the finest zoning lawyers in the city of Chicago.”

Natarus says he has tried to convey the message to current alderman Brendan Reilly, who is organizing the May 29 meeting, “but our communication isn’t good.”

Andrew Schaefer, chairman of the River North Resident Association’s development committee, agreed with Natarus. “None of us is interested in winning a pyrrhic victory where we successfully shoot down one thing only to have something even worse rammed down our throats.”

Schaefer called it “inevitable” that something would eventually be built at Wolf Point. “It’s a parking lot in some of the most valuable real estate in the city of Chicago. And it’s not going to stay that way forever, just as any other parking lot in downtown Chicago doesn’t stay a parking lot forever.”

The meeting is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. in the Wolf Point Ballroom at the Holiday Inn, 350 West Mart Center.

Toni Preckwinkle was scheduled to be the special guest speaker at Tuesday’s meeting but according to RNRA president Mike Riordan, the Cook County Board president cancelled over the weekend.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 4:45 AM

I hope this project gets done! I like the scale. Hope the taller of the 3 goes first.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 6:47 PM

BraveNewWorld, could you please stop writing Kennedy's? (unless you're talking about something Kennedy owns).
It's just Kennedys. Same as Jeffersons, Bushes, Clintons, Carters, or Monroes.
Down with rogue apostrophes.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex17 View Post
BraveNewWorld, could you please stop writing Kennedy's? (unless you're talking about something Kennedy owns).
It's just Kennedys. Same as Jeffersons, Bushes, Clintons, Carters, or Monroes.
Down with rogue apostrophes.
Didn't realize that, I will stop.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Didn't realize that, I will stop.
Wolf Point and the Kennedys thank you.
I always dreamed that if I was a multi-billionaire, I would try to buy the Wolf Point land from the Kennedys, and also the Apparel Center, tear it down, and built a complex of four towers, with one supertall of 1,790 ft. (mixed use residential and hotel), a 770-foot office tower, and two other residential towers of around 590 feet. I would leave the tip of Wolf Point as a landscaped park.
Oh, and I'd live in the penthouse of Wolf Point Tower (the supertall one). The roofline would be about 1,450-1,500 though, with some structural element leading to a spire for the pinnacle height.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive