HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Coast at Lakeshore East in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 1:17 AM
dream fast

6-26

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 2:11 AM

Joe had an article on YoChicago a few days ago about a rumor that the Coast was turning off renters because of cheap fittings and appliances, one quote comparing it to a dorm. The Magellan website doesn't have any interior photos yet. Has anyone seen some?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Joe had an article on YoChicago a few days ago about a rumor that the Coast was turning off renters because of cheap fittings and appliances, one quote comparing it to a dorm. The Magellan website doesn't have any interior photos yet. Has anyone seen some?
Joe Zekas is also employed by the developers of K2. I will let you draw your own conclusions

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 3:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Joe Zekas is also employed by the developers of K2. I will let you draw your own conclusions
My company works for a number of high-rises, not just K2. None of them are in the Streeterville, Loop or New East Side / Lakeshore East submarkets, and my guess would be that very few renters are deciding between Coast and K2 or one of my other clients. I've talked to a number of renters at K2 and it's my habit to inquire where else they were looking. Not one mentioned Coast.

If I had thought that Coast was competing directly with any of my clients I would have mentioned that in my post.

There have been a number of venues in which I've mocked untitledreality for what I considered incredibly ill-informed views. Draw your own conclusions as to his / her reasons for suggesting I had an agenda of favoring K2 in my Coast post.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 4:35 AM

Mooooving right along...

No interior shots you've seen around, Joe? The post made me curious, I wanted to see what kind of fittings would elicit such a response so I can compare them to my apartment's and feel either good or bad about myself.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 4:58 AM

Well it is an apartment building. Some buildings buy cheap cabinets and appliances so they can throw them away every couple of tenants. I offered to provide granite countertops in my rental since I can buy it relatively cheap, but the landlord was concerned there would be expectations from tenants to replace it every so often.

I know it's branded luxury....but I'm not sure I believe all the big development 'luxury' towers are using hardwood cabinents, premium granite, and high tech appliances.

No. They are probably just standard stainless steel appliances, MDF cabinets with some in-style dark veneer and solid surface corian counters. Just a guess. Regardless, I'm sure they're better than the Mendard's special you find in most standard apartments, and they'll make most tenants happy. I think the only thing I probably wouldn't like is the lower ceilings... 8'-6" or around something close to that?? which I could never get used to. I like 9'6" or greater. But I guess the views and balconies certainly make up for that.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 5:26 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Mooooving right along...

No interior shots you've seen around, Joe? The post made me curious, I wanted to see what kind of fittings would elicit such a response so I can compare them to my apartment's and feel either good or bad about myself.
interior shots

zillow is your friend. hayward's guess is right on the money though.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 5:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Mooooving right along...

I don't like to make judgments from photos, even when I know the photos were taken where they were purported to have been taken - which is often not the case with rental services.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 5:45 AM

It's probably not so much about emphasizing that finishes and fittings are cheap as it is about the high expectations for quality given the LSE location (especially following Aqua and other condo buildings), the marquee design of the tower, and, above all, the rents being sought by the landlord. The same same finishes and fittings in a south or west Loop tower would probably not elicit the same complaints. So if somebody wants to dress down Magellan for cheaping out on supposedly luxury accommodations, please have at it.

----

Hayward, or somebody, do ceiling heights ever figure into LEED certification? It would seem to me that 8'-6" is environmentally friendly and 9'-6" is a lot of wasted air, especially over 1200 SF, to heat or cool. If they aren't considered in LEED, maybe it's high time they are. There are still too many stupid decisions that are going into advertising something as environmentally friendly or not. (Not that I don't think everyone should get a choice of what configuration of apartment they want, as long as they are willing to pay for it.)

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
It's probably not so much about emphasizing that finishes and fittings are cheap as it is about the high expectations for quality given the LSE location (especially following Aqua and other condo buildings), the marquee design of the tower, and, above all, the rents being sought by the landlord. The same same finishes and fittings in a south or west Loop tower would probably not elicit the same complaints. So if somebody wants to dress down Magellan for cheaping out on supposedly luxury accommodations, please have at it.

----

Hayward, or somebody, do ceiling heights ever figure into LEED certification? It would seem to me that 8'-6" is environmentally friendly and 9'-6" is a lot of wasted air, especially over 1200 SF, to heat or cool. If they aren't considered in LEED, maybe it's high time they are. There are still too many stupid decisions that are going into advertising something as environmentally friendly or not. (Not that I don't think everyone should get a choice of what configuration of apartment they want, as long as they are willing to pay for it.)
It's not worth considering when you have the sins of a building with a parking garage, a tower built of concrete, and doors that can be opened to the exterior at all times of the year. At that point ceiling height is pretty negligible in whether it saves or loses energy especially when it's all heavily compartmentalized to individual units.

It's a bigger deal in larger facility like warehouses and factories. Even just dropping a ceiling a foot across a 100K sqft space reduces heating and cooling loads substantially, not just to run stuff less, but entirely remove equipment saving cost.

Even as a LEED professional, I think it sets some good benchmarks to get architects, developers and owners thinking about sustainable design, but it certainly isn't the central solution and its perceived improvements can end the moment users move in and stop turning off the lights, recycling or find the car in the parking garage more convenient than walking to work.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 6:16 AM

^ I understand, but people can choose to be judicious about the balcony door, and can opt out of (or have gasoline costs prevent them from) using the parking garage, but there's basically zero you can do about high ceilings after the building is constructed. Though ceiling heights are indeed a smaller portion of what I see as the elephant in the room -- this country's gluttonous addiction to central air conditioning. In most parts of the world, HVAC is controlled on a room by room basis, so the bedroom can avoid being cooled at least 16 hours of the day even if you're in the apartment the whole day. Even with central air, careful placement of intakes/outflows and thermostats could compartmentalize the temperatures of the rooms of a given residence -- but the highrise developers of the last decade have totally blown off this notion. I imagine equipment and maintenance costs are the reason for this, but why can everyone buy a doubly-powerful smartphone every other year while competence in residential hvac seems to have stagnated in the 1970s?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 9:59 PM

im liking the neighborhood....those parks and entrances, very unique.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive