HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 12:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Our fabulous supertall, the first to reach 1,300 ft since the WTC, rises up on the skyline...

April 13, 2014

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 1:55 PM

nice shots, NYGuy. Here's a similar perspective from one of the first renderings:

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 2:37 PM

Our minimalist masterpiece is beginning to dominate.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Our fabulous supertall, the first to reach 1,300 ft since the WTC, rises up on the skyline...

Incredible shot! It's like the 20s and the 60s again, with multiple new tall towers breaking through the skyline at once! Reminds me of the game changing construction of the original WTC or Chicago when Aon, John Hancock, and Sears were being built all around the same time.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 6:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Incredible shot! It's like the 20s and the 60s again, with multiple new tall towers breaking through the skyline at once! Reminds me of the game changing construction of the original WTC or Chicago when Aon, John Hancock, and Sears were being built all around the same time.

Just wait until 111, 220, and the Nordstrom towers start rising above the skyline, not to mention whatever goes on the 31 W. 57th site. And that's leaving out everything going up on the west side in the Hudson Yards district, the towers being planned around Grand Central, and even Downtown where there is more supertall construction to come, including a reborn 80 South St. I firmly believe we are witnessing the greatest skyscraper era ever in the history of the city, whether you agree with the architecture or not. And that's saying a lot.

Fifty years from now, when history looks back on this era, 432 Park will be but one piece of a vast puzzle that's being put into place. The skyline as we know it is being rewritten right before our eyes. Gone are the days when the skyline was defined by the Empire State, WTC, and Chrysler buildings, when the tallest of skyscrapers in the city really stood out from the pack.

I was thinking the other day about how much this tower would be a visual skyline icon, with so many towers rising of similar scale (supertall). It helps that it will be among the first topped out. I was also wondering how long before this tower was featured in a film or commercial of some sort. That's what will drive it home in the minds of many. King Kong won't climb this one, but I have no doubt it will be featured somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
nice shots, NYGuy. Here's a similar perspective from one of the first renderings:

I was thinking that as well, with one of the early mechanical areas visible.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 9:55 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^
Thinking about it, the tourism in NYC is definitely going to change once Hudson Yards finished along with all the other developments. The posters and sites to see will change on that famous Manhattan map. Brooklyn alone is seeing an increase in tourism. Also, we got that wonderful wheel that will be going up. The views are going to be amazing.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 10:54 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of April 12th, 2014...

viewfrommywindow at SSC

As of April 13th, 2014...

Vertical_Gotham at SSC

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Just wait until 111, 220, and the Nordstrom towers start rising above the skyline, not to mention whatever goes on the 31 W. 57th site. And that's leaving out everything going up on the west side in the Hudson Yards district, the towers being planned around Grand Central, and even Downtown where there is more supertall construction to come, including a reborn 80 South St. I firmly believe we are witnessing the greatest skyscraper era ever in the history of the city, whether you agree with the architecture or not. And that's saying a lot.
It's only the tip of the iceberg right now! Things are going to get way more out of control in the coming years. Well the boom is certainly going to rank at least second on the list. The 1920s-early 30s boom is still ranked as the defacto skyscraper boom in history, but some of that of course is pure nostalgia. Sometimes you may not know how the skyscraper boom stacks up until decades after it happens. Although I'm sure New York City isn't going to continue at this pace forever, I believe the big kahuna is still coming. Could be Hudson Spire, yet my gut says 20 years later. That one tower that they'll be talking about for the rest of the century. Exciting times.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 1:15 AM
Global Citizen

Don't get too excited. All it takes is another economic crisis and most of these projects could be cancelled.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ptor View Post
Don't get too excited. All it takes is another economic crisis and most of these projects could be cancelled.
2014 and 2015 are both projected to be strong years for the US economy and I would suspect 2016 will be fine too. Although the boom will probably end with an economic crisis, whenever that is.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
2014 and 2015 are both projected to be strong years for the US economy and I would suspect 2016 will be fine too. Although the boom will probably end with an economic crisis, whenever that is.

with or without crisis, there will always be millionaires to occupy these apartments, I'm sure.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 2:14 PM

©tectonic

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 7:43 PM

Nice pic !

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 8:43 PM

884'

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post

©tectonic
^^^
tectonic, that's a VERY NICE shot of 432!

NYguy, What can I say? That last series of 432 is just incredible, Sir.

This is rising so quickly! (I guess because of its small footprint) Looks like it may be topped off before the end of summer, maybe sooner. This is exciting!

I miss driving up to New York on the weekends This will give me an excuse to head North soon!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 10:24 PM
Editor

Nice upates pics! That series from NYGuy was fantastic.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ptor View Post
A lot of this new development is immune to recession. That is, the global rich will continue to snatch up these hot luxury suites as investments regardless of what's happening with the world economy, because it has been solidly proven that property value is permanently on the rise in so-called 'power-centers' such as NYC, London, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Paris etc.

That's not to say another serious recession wouldn't grind everything to a halt for a few years, and it could seriously harm major new office development, but I bet these 57th street towers would keep rising no matter what.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 10:44 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
A lot of this new development is immune to recession. That is, the global rich will continue to snatch up these hot luxury suites as investments regardless of what's happening with the world economy, because it has been solidly proven that property value is permanently on the rise in so-called 'power-centers' such as NYC, London, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Paris etc.

That's not to say another serious recession wouldn't grind everything to a halt for a few years, and it could seriously harm major new office development, but I bet these 57th street towers would keep rising no matter what.
It kinda makes me nervous about Hudson yards etc. though.

NYC could maintain the greatest skyline on earth if all of these projects are finished.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 3:11 AM

im really liking the cladding on this one

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 3:41 AM

^ Do you mean windows?

Last edited by ILNY; Apr 16, 2014 at 11:33 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive