HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 12:10 AM
▓▒░

Pretty much anything by Robertson Partners. The only thing that really gives away their age are the windows, which look like vinyl or white metal.

These two: http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=47256 and http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=47255 were designed by them.

And just a little heads up: their website is really low-budget.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 3:08 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
If you believe that you can find better examples then what I have already posted, please do!
125 Joralemon St, Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn, NY, 1993: Joseph Stella, architect

125 Joralemon is a reference to the carriage house vernacular style that predates the brownstones of the surrounding neighbourhood. It's aesthetics, arrangement and construction are all held to 'traditional' standards.

josephstella.com

josephsstella.com

josephstella.com

josephstella.com

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 7:37 PM
Show me the blueprints

I read something recently that ripped that Joralemon house to shreds. I wish I cuuld remember what is was, because I didn't agree with it at all. I think this house looks great. What is there to complain about?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post

Boy, if there's nothing but open space (with the exception of an inner dome), imagine the acoustics!!! Put a very large symphonic pipe organ in there!

125 Joralemon shouldn't be knocked. So cute, I could take it home with me. Nice neighborhood, too.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 12:50 AM
+

Church of All Saints - Minsk, Belarus

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 4:30 PM

Carhart Mansion, New York City, 2006
John Simpson Architects

heyheyamy

It went from this, to that:

http://www.period-homes.com/Previous...06carhart.html

Last edited by vandelay; Dec 23, 2009 at 4:54 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 10:05 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII
The execution of that Mansard roof is nothing less than offensive.
Agreed. The rest of the building is OK, but that mansard is terrible by any standard. It cheapens the whole thing; makes it look like it came from a Toll Brothers catalog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi
If you believe that you can find better examples then what I have already posted, please do!
I think part of the issue here is that according to the rules you specified in the first post of this thread, and then spoke about continuously on the first page, that building does not qualify. It is no more true to traditionalism than this building, and is much less attractive.

You are getting few responses because you have set an impossibly high standard that even you cannot meet consistently.

If you are a little easier going with what you ask for, you will get more and friendlier responses.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 11:00 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Agreed. The rest of the building is OK, but that mansard is terrible by any standard. It cheapens the whole thing; makes it look like it came from a Toll Brothers catalog.
is it because there's too much of it or that it is too high? i thought it looked awkward but could describe why.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 12:19 AM

It overhangs way too far beyond the wall facade, the angles of both slopes are wrong, rather than being punched-in holes the windows should jut out as part of dormers, the color is OK but where is the trim, and that railing is such an obviously and lazy attempt to screen rooftop mechanical that it's just insulting.

It's like they took something from a 1970s strip mall and put it on top of a palace. It's just completely wrong stylistically and proportionally.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 12:22 AM
+

Last edited by Hed Kandi; Jun 29, 2016 at 3:58 PM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 12:48 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
that railing is such an obviously and lazy attempt to screen rooftop mechanical that it's just insulting.
That railing doesn't appear to be doing anything; it is hiding a hip roof:

Perhaps it is trying to make an illusion by saying 'at one angle it looks like there's a flat rooftop patio, and at another, you can see the hip roof,' but it's not very convincing.

And I'm sorry, the rest of the building is just as bad. It looks like precast window timmings, sills and lintels (why), precast cornerstones and its all filled together with stucco-ish looking stuff. It looks to me like a premiere example of budget neoclassicsm, and seems like it's been plucked out of Gravesend here in Brooklyn, where all the tasteless Russian mafia elite build their atrocious mansions.

nytimes.com

brownstoner.com

Ew.

Last edited by CGII; Dec 24, 2009 at 12:59 AM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 12:50 AM
+

Brownsword Hall - Poundbury, UK
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poundbury

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 1:21 AM
+

edit

Last edited by Hed Kandi; Oct 26, 2017 at 3:34 PM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 5:22 AM

These are reasonably convincing retreads of the standard 19th century DC rowhouse, from the 1990s. Most passers-by don't notice the difference, except that the paint is more fresh.

They aren"t exactly accurate. The lack of stoops is a big problem, for example, but they aren't bad.

Last edited by Cirrus; Dec 24, 2009 at 5:33 AM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 5:54 AM
BANNED

My hometown is almost perfectly preserved from the 1800's and has even rebuilt lost buildings on its mainstreet to almost their original specifications. For example, this stone building is an exact replica of a blacksmith's shop that once stood on the corner before it was torn down and replaced by a Clark's Gas Station in the 60's. That tear down and one or two others sparked a massive preservation movement in Cedarburg that all but outlawed teardowns of buildings older than 50 years.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...04.07,,1,-4.17

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 6:14 AM
Show me the blueprints

The ubiquitous limestone infill townhouse scattered all over Chicago's northside. Some love them, some hate them, this company seems to do somw of the nicer ones:

http://www.melrosepartners.com/

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 6:25 AM
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The ubiquitous limestone infill townhouse scattered all over Chicago's northside. Some love them, some hate them, this company seems to do somw of the nicer ones:

http://www.melrosepartners.com/

Excellent!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 5:11 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I read something recently that ripped that Joralemon house to shreds. I wish I cuuld remember what is was, because I didn't agree with it at all. I think this house looks great. What is there to complain about?
Maybe it isn't quite as nice to use/live in as it is to look at from the outside?

Last edited by wrab; Dec 24, 2009 at 7:17 PM.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 6:44 AM
JFDinJax, founded c.1998

Not basing any argument on the presence of glass doors and windows (which is fine, really!) but this just strikes me as neither a good use of the vocabulary of Greek, Roman, nor the much later reworkings of Beaux-Arts. It's not clearly one over the others, and isn't that kind of... a poor thing to be able to say? The doubled columns at the sides alone are one of the most recognizable characteristics of Beaux Arts, yet it's simply too plain otherwise and lacks most of the other characteristics such as a raised first floor, rustication, statuary, etc, almost as if it's trying to be more... I don't know, Tuscan? But then the doubled columns would stand out as a blatant mistake, never mind the capitals. It's just kind of.... bleh.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 7:07 PM
BANNED

^^^ That's pretty clearly not meant to be anywhere near beaux arts. Its pretty much and exact throwback to Neo-Classicism of the vein that followed the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago and its Classical White City. Doubled collumns were used there as well (though not common) even though it was decidedly not Beaux Arts. This building is virtually indistinguishable from that style.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture