HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 9:09 PM
Pro Web Slinger

It really sucks that I don't have any money to donate

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 3:52 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Here's the third of the final ten models added to the Kickstarter, Suntec City Mall!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 11:04 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Here's the fourth of the final ten models for the Kickstarter, Aura at College Park.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 9:01 PM
Eagle Scout since 9/28/09

Landmark | landscape [2016 tour]

Knowing that many of you who follow this thread are often not close enough to prominent AFOL conventions, I thought I'd share here my listing of all my upcoming 2016 venues. Hopefully I can meet some of you at one of these events. There's something for everyone and every interest at each of these shows!

Click image for higher resolution on Flickr.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 5:33 AM
Eagle Scout since 9/28/09

My most recent model and first commission, Rosenwald Apartments in the Bronzeville neighborhood of Chicago.

Click the photo to see more!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 7:46 PM

My latest model - Central Collegiate in Moose Jaw Saskatchewan.

Central by Trent, on Flickr

IMG_1750 by Trent, on Flickr

IMG_1761 by Trent, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 3:46 AM

Talking My Lego WTC (LDD) inspired by Spencer

Kind of new-ish to the site, so can't believe post photos yet, and there's a lot, lol. Hopefully I can post links though, So for a yeah been working on a personal project of the twins for more than a year, I just love to towers.

Link: https://www.flickr.com/gp/146188873@N07/zFAJ0E

I know I'm going to type a lot of what to say but try to stay with me. So I've been inspired by Spencer (Don't remember his last name, but seen your recreations of his on here from some of you.) Flickr scattered some photos around the album so might be a bit weird of how they're everywhere kinda. Made some of my own decals into it, and added the mall directory too, edited a bit for my own preferences so it won't look too weird. Made sure elevations, well everything is close to accurate, 90% accurate. Doing the interior of the mall too, oh, so had to split the towers with the plaza because there's just too much my computer could handle. The twins are over 38,000 pieces, plaza right now is 20,000 pieces so far, just recently been fixing the building position and accuracy, excuse for the mess around some areas, I experiment and see what I could use to build. Believe it or not though, this is my first original Lego creation so far by me. Oh last but not least, you'll see an image is big twins and small scale of the twins, earlier days after I finished then, I compared my towers to Spencer's in LDD so you see how big it is. This is huge. There's a lot more I would like to talk about but this is already enough, hope you like. I want people and myself to see how the plaza look like, and what's better that it's also Lego?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinNgo View Post
Kind of new-ish to the site, so can't believe post photos yet, and there's a lot, lol. Hopefully I can post links though, So for a yeah been working on a personal project of the twins for more than a year, I just love to towers.

Link: https://www.flickr.com/gp/146188873@N07/zFAJ0E

I know I'm going to type a lot of what to say but try to stay with me. So I've been inspired by Spencer (Don't remember his last name, but seen your recreations of his on here from some of you.) Flickr scattered some photos around the album so might be a bit weird of how they're everywhere kinda. Made some of my own decals into it, and added the mall directory too, edited a bit for my own preferences so it won't look too weird. Made sure elevations, well everything is close to accurate, 90% accurate. Doing the interior of the mall too, oh, so had to split the towers with the plaza because there's just too much my computer could handle. The twins are over 38,000 pieces, plaza right now is 20,000 pieces so far, just recently been fixing the building position and accuracy, excuse for the mess around some areas, I experiment and see what I could use to build. Believe it or not though, this is my first original Lego creation so far by me. Oh last but not least, you'll see an image is big twins and small scale of the twins, earlier days after I finished then, I compared my towers to Spencer's in LDD so you see how big it is. This is huge. There's a lot more I would like to talk about but this is already enough, hope you like. I want people and myself to see how the plaza look like, and what's better that it's also Lego?
Looks fantastic!!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 6:22 PM

Hey All,

It's "Marchitecture" time again. We have 2 categories this year with some sweet prizes! Please check out the contest description and ask any questions you may have in the discussion thread:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/marchitecture/

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 11:29 AM

I heard about this series. I like more Technic series, especially the new models, we even have the team at the college for designing of the technic projects for the contests. But I definitely would like to have this set of Guggenheim Museum, it looks fantastic

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 5:13 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteanders View Post
I heard about this series. I like more Technic series, especially the new models, we even have the team at the college for designing of the technic projects for the contests. But I definitely would like to have this set of Guggenheim Museum, it looks fantastic

It's definitely worth the buy, a fun build and not as repetitive as you might think by the look of it. It also includes a number of the new 1x1 quarter round tiles that I've been saying they needed to make for years!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 4:52 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Just checked the LEGO shop to see if there were any new Architecture sets coming and was very pleased to see a new Shanghai set coming in January! The Shanghai Tower looks really cool while the Oriental Pearl Tower is neat but I feel they could have done it better - it just looks awkward in certain areas - and the World Finance Centre is pretty much exactly what many of the MOC's I've seen look like. I would rather have seen them include the Jin Mao Tower instead of the Pearl but still a cool set and should be fun to build!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 2:25 PM
Pro Web Slinger

They were also planning to release a Las Vegas set, but after the Mandalay Bay incident the Lego Group decided to postpone the set's release to spring.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 4:35 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey7312 View Post
They were also planning to release a Las Vegas set, but after the Mandalay Bay incident the Lego Group decided to postpone the set's release to spring.
That's respectable. I can't imagine what they'd choose from the LV skyline, so much to choose from and so much that 'imitates' other structures in the world.

Just purchased the Shanghai set, btw, can't wait to build it!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 10:32 PM
aka GM on SSC

OK, not really a skyline or skyscrapers, but I feel I could share the video I made of my Lego train layout :

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 11:56 PM
Lowe's

Going to Brick Days here in Omaha tomorrow. I can't wait. They said there will be a special guest from Chicago

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 7:52 AM
Meh

When the guy walks around the corner.

Video Link

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 2:50 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Not a skyline, but it kept a Cornell student busy for a while:

Video Link

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 9:59 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Reviving this thread because it was too awesome not to! Also, I'm working on a new series of LEGO skyscrapers in 1:500 scale (same as the official LEGO Empire State Building set 21046). I think this scale is a great balance between size, potential level of detail, number of pieces, and price to build. I've only ordered the parts for two of the designs I've created thus far but generally, the parts end up costing between $80 and $300 depending on the count and how many of certain pieces are used. I've also referenced the BrickLink.com parts inventory regularly while designing to ensure that all parts used are available in the colors I want and to apply colors to internal pieces that will cost less as they are more common colors of those internal parts.

So without further adieu, here are the first few designs (click thumbnail for larger image):

First up, the Willis Tower in Chicago, IL, United States. This would have been an otherwise easy build with stacked plates but I wanted a cleaner look and a lot less parts than if I had built it more traditionally. The model actually contains over 100 less pieces than the official LEGO Empire State Building set even though it's significantly bulkier and taller. I've ordered all of the parts for this one and it's mostly finished but I'm still waiting on 450 1x3 dark grey tiles to complete it. I had to order them from a seller in the Czech Republic and they unfortunately were returned because there's some confusion at the local Post Office about my address...

Next, here's the Comcast Technology Center in Philadelphia, PA, United States. This is my hometown so I'm really proud of this one! I used a lot of transparent tiles to create the facade and, in lieu of being able to recreate the 'X' beam pattern on the actual structure at this scale, used brackets to attach the glass sections to impress the internal structure on the outside. The lobby on the first few floors has also been recreated internally and is visible through the clear bricks on the ends of the building (although you can't see them in this render).

Also, fun fact - the number of pieces is my birth year :-)

Here's the third in the series, the U.S. Bank Tower in Los Angeles, CA, United States. This is a simpler build with well under 1,000 pieces. Again, I could have built up plates for more detail but that would probably put the piece count between 2-3k and I wanted to find the right balance.

And last, for now, is The Pinnacle in Guangzhou, Shangdong, China. I love the contrast on this building, both between the tan and black colors as well as between the smooth surfaces of the slopes on the corners and the grille tiles on the faces. I had a lot of fun with this one.

Feel free to make requests. I can't promise I'll get to them as each model takes quite awhile to put together but I'm always looking for the next build! I have a few more nearly finished and a bunch of WIPs so I might already be working on one you want and that could be the motivation to get me to finish!

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc; Apr 21, 2020 at 4:38 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 1:58 AM
Meh

What are you using to construct your baseplates with? Is it large plates of 6x8 or so, or smaller 2x8s and such?

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art