HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 5:53 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
When I moved out that way in 1984 there was a traffic light at the 183/620 intersection. But the NE corner was undeveloped, and there were usually a couple vehicles parked in the grass on weekends selling Mexican pottery and blankets. The NW corner had a 7-11 and shortly thereafter a small strip shopping center with the first video store I ever rented from. It had a nice betamax selection up front and a small VHS section in back. The SE corner was just somebody's yard. The SW corner was a new strip shopping center anchored by WoolCo and HEB. Everything I just mentioned has long since been demo'ed.
I grew up about a mile from that intersection. The first big development that occurred was the old "Travis Square" shopping center, anchored by an HEB and K-mart (NW Corner). The center was demolished in the mid-90s and rebuilt in a different configuration as the Lakeline Plaza power center (facing the mall). The Bed Bath and Beyond and Applebees are located roughly where the HEB stood.

Across 183 (NE corner) was the Northfork shopping center. It housed a Safeway and Eckerd's drug store upon opening. The video store you mentioned was also located there, which was called the "Video Station". It was a huge deal at the time (also had games/consoles and other electronics). The shopping center still stands today for the most part and is now known as the "Hub", anchored by a Chair King, Mega Furniture, Asian/Indian supermarket and several smaller shops.

Lastly, the Woolco/HEB shopping center you mentioned still stands today, a few blocks south of the intersection (The Market at Lake Creek). The HEB predated the one at the aforementioned Travis Square (later becoming a Bealls and then a 24 Hr Fitness). The building that housed the Woolco later became an HEB itself (after the Travis Square location closed/moved). It now houses a Goodwill and Fitness Connection.

(Edit: Just noticed that I posted the same thing 3 years ago - #151 Still an interesting FYI)

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 6:20 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balcones 1980s View Post
I just moved back and lived next to Balcones Country Club and went to Spicewood Elementary. We left in 1980 and it is so hard to recognize anything on 183 since back then it was not quite the highway of today. I remember the Half Price Books from then. But Lone Star Cafe was awesome and is no more. Bulbs likes it! But what is driving me nuts is that there was a movie theater I used to ride my bike to that I saw some of the all time greats of my life. I even credit this theater with my time working in Hollywood and a life long love of Movies. I Know I used to cross past the school at the corner of the elementary school and that the current convenience store was a 7-11 back then. They had 2 arcade games and I spent a ton of time there. Until the Piggly Wiggly that was mentioned opened and they had a big arcade room. It was the best. But I can not figure out where the theater was. I believe the street I rode towards 183 was Olson dr? But I don’t remember if I rode down Anderson Mill and it’s so different. But I know I did not cross the highway. Does anyone remember and can they jog my memory? I’m dying to go over and try to place it. It meant a lot to me. And this whole thread brought back so many places I had completely forgotten. I wanted to move into the old house. We sold it in 1987 for $46,000. It recently sold for $750,000. So that’s a big nope. But the trees dad and I planted as saplings in the front yard are now so big that the entire yard is shaded. But my best friends house across the street is still owned by his parents. Some things never change!
The movie theater you described was the Showplace 6. It was located along Lake Creek Parkway, a few blocks west of 183 and directly across from Westwood High School. I'm thinking it was built in the early-mid 80s and closed in the late 90s. The last movie I saw before the theater closed was Waterboy. The drinks served there were definitely not high quality H2O.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 10:27 AM
Resident Moron

I'm kind of going a bit crazy on this, but does anyone remember a miniature golf course near McCallum high school in the 80s?

The only mini-golf I can actually put my finger on in Austin is Peter Pan, Putt Putt, Celebration Station and then there was a large one up near Highland Mall I think? I have a hazy memory of another one somewhere central though.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 11:16 AM

Mini Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
I'm kind of going a bit crazy on this, but does anyone remember a miniature golf course near McCallum high school in the 80s?

The only mini-golf I can actually put my finger on in Austin is Peter Pan, Putt Putt, Celebration Station and then there was a large one up near Highland Mall I think? I have a hazy memory of another one somewhere central though.
There was a put-put golf on Burnet Road just north of Lamar Middle School (then Lamar Junior High). It's about a mile and a half from McCallum. I'm not sure if this is the one you're thinking about.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
There was a put-put golf on Burnet Road just north of Lamar Middle School (then Lamar Junior High). It's about a mile and a half from McCallum. I'm not sure if this is the one you're thinking about.
I've been to that one quite a few times, and not far from there was an awesome nursery I frequented also. Not sure if that's still there, but it sucked when the mini golf closed. I remember there were a lot of trees in that area. It was kind of pretty if I recall correctly. Anyone old enough to remember Cardi's? It was my go to bar after work when I worked 2nd shift at IBM. The original and best Pokey Joe's was also up the street from IBM. Another lost great lunch spot was Dot's. Damn Dot's was soooo good. The 183 corridor, (suicide alley), Burnet Rd, Lamar Blvd, Airport Blvd have all changed to the same level as downtown relatively speaking. Burnet Rd from the Wells Branch area was my speedy way to downtown when I35 started clogging up, that is until I blabbed to ONE person about it, then EVERYONE was bypassing I35 and using it. Well, not everyone.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
There was a Green Acres miniature golf course & driving range on the east side of Burnet Road somewhere between Justin Lane & 183 in the 1960s. That was really out in the sticks then.
I recall there was an old barn nearby on the west side of the road where a teenage boy tragically hung himself.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I've been to that one quite a few times, and not far from there was an awesome nursery I frequented also. Not sure if that's still there, but it sucked when the mini golf closed. I remember there were a lot of trees in that area. It was kind of pretty if I recall correctly. Anyone old enough to remember Cardi's? It was my go to bar after work when I worked 2nd shift at IBM. The original and best Pokey Joe's was also up the street from IBM. Another lost great lunch spot was Dot's. Damn Dot's was soooo good. The 183 corridor, (suicide alley), Burnet Rd, Lamar Blvd, Airport Blvd have all changed to the same level as downtown relatively speaking. Burnet Rd from the Wells Branch area was my speedy way to downtown when I35 started clogging up, that is until I blabbed to ONE person about it, then EVERYONE was bypassing I35 and using it. Well, not everyone.
I went to Dot's once in the early 2000s! It was probably towards the end of its existence. I was driven there, and it was my first time up in that neck of the woods, so I don't remember where it was exactly. It seemed like it was out in the countryside somewhere, off of the end of Burnet Road when it became a gravel road towards McNeil, TX at Robinson Ranch. I assume it was torn down when they built the MOPAC extension to SH-45N?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 4:21 PM

Southern Comfort Homestyle Eats in a Post-Virginia's World

Anyone remember Virginia's Cafe?????

"No matter how many new businesses may occupy the quaint little frame building at 2809 S. First Street, in my heart it will always be Virginia's Cafe. It had been Virginia's for nearly 10 years when I discovered it in the early Seventies and remained so for almost 20 years afterward. Virginia's was a classic, the quintessential home cooking joint, where a working man (or woman) could get respectable, rib-sticking victuals consisting of meat and three vegetables for a very affordable price. The proprietor/cook is a certified Austin legend, renowned for her handwritten signs and blunt conversation, what little there was of it. There was no nonsense about her and none about the prodigious servings of her Southern homestyle cooking. Everyone from Eddie Wilson to Danny Young to Max Nofziger has a favorite Virginia's story. One of my most treasured mementos is a faded snapshot of a much thinner me standing in the doorway of Virginia's, fantasizing about having a restaurant of my own one day."

https://www.austinchronicle.com/food/1997-06-06/528326/

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 6:52 PM

So many great memories of Austin....

Highland Mall - I spent many years of my youth there, shopping with my mom and grandmother at Joske's, Scarbroughs, Foley's and other places. Played games at Goldmine arcade and ate at Luby's. Bought music at Musicland and Hasting's, toys at Toy Box and ate at the Food Court later in time.

Northcross Mall - I remember the old movie theater in there with the LOOOOONG hallway reminiscent of a horror film. Also the arcade (where I first saw Dragon's Lair in the early 80's and couldn't believe my eyes). Luby's was there, and a movie poster store, Frost Bros., etc.

Barton Creek Mall - I remember the arcade Aladdin's Castle, a cafeteria (was it Luby's or Wyatt's ??), and other general stores.

I remember Winn's where I'd buy GoBots. Also Weiner's, Griffin's, the Night Hawk, Bentley's restaurant by Highland Mall, etc.

Oh how I miss it so ....

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 7:40 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallRat2020 View Post
So many great memories of Austin....

Highland Mall - I spent many years of my youth there, shopping with my mom and grandmother at Joske's, Scarbroughs, Foley's and other places. Played games at Goldmine arcade and ate at Luby's. Bought music at Musicland and Hasting's, toys at Toy Box and ate at the Food Court later in time.

Northcross Mall - I remember the old movie theater in there with the LOOOOONG hallway reminiscent of a horror film. Also the arcade (where I first saw Dragon's Lair in the early 80's and couldn't believe my eyes). Luby's was there, and a movie poster store, Frost Bros., etc.

Barton Creek Mall - I remember the arcade Aladdin's Castle, a cafeteria (was it Luby's or Wyatt's ??), and other general stores.

I remember Winn's where I'd buy GoBots. Also Weiner's, Griffin's, the Night Hawk, Bentley's restaurant by Highland Mall, etc.

Oh how I miss it so ....
WELCOME!

I remember a pretty good Mexican place at the Highland food court. I alway got their nachos doused in queso.

Also, when I was a wee lad, I fell into one of those fountains/ponds at Northcross. And, I loved the restaurant where each table had a red telephone from which you placed your order.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 9:24 PM

There was a pet store in the Northcross where I got a few puppies from, and I did fall on my ass an uncountable amount of times on the ice skating rink even though I grew up ice skating in NY. The little kids who obviously unnaturally learned to ice skate in Texas would point and laugh at me as they circled, those brats... I don't know what hurt most, the pain of impact, or the fact my wife joined in. Good times...

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
WELCOME!

I remember a pretty good Mexican place at the Highland food court. I alway got their nachos doused in queso.

Also, when I was a wee lad, I fell into one of those fountains/ponds at Northcross. And, I loved the restaurant where each table had a red telephone from which you placed your order.
Thanks! Oh yes the Northcross skating rink was awesome. It still exists per se as Chaparral Ice I believe. Used to go there in high school and try not to break every bone in my body LOL.

Highland was always so much fun. I wanted to dumpster dive for additional memorabilia after they closed it and had their ACC memorabilia sale, but security was always there. Oh well...

The Butter Krust bread factory across the street was great, always smelled of fresh bread whenever my grandmother and me would go to Joske's. Then Waldenbooks, Luby's and the other places would grace us as we entered the main mall. Great times...

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
There was a pet store in the Northcross where I got a few puppies from, and I did fall on my ass an uncountable amount of times on the ice skating rink even though I grew up ice skating in NY. The little kids who obviously unnaturally learned to ice skate in Texas would point and laugh at me as they circled, those brats... I don't know what hurt most, the pain of impact, or the fact my wife joined in. Good times...
LOL !

I want to say the store was Pet Land but I could be wrong. There was one in Highland Mall but I'm unsure if that was the name or not. Don't remember the Northcross one.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 8:24 PM

A few pics I took shortly after Highland Mall closed in 2015 compared with the Highland Mall / ACC campus pics I took in December of 2020.

Just outside the front entrance facing Aiport Blvd. outside the former front lobby. The original trees are still as full and welcoming as they were years ago. The steel beams on each side appear to have survived.

----

View from the parking lot facing the former front lobby. As mentioned above, the steel beams seem to still outline the front area as they did originally during the mall days.

----

The main lobby area in the mall with all the kiosks / chairs packed up compared to the new open walkway to Highland / ACC. It appears that some of the top structure survived but can't be completely sure.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 9:00 PM

I know they left the big space frame structure intact for awhile even while it was taken off its supports, I figured they were going to reuse it somewhere though I'm not sure if that's been done or not

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I know they left the big space frame structure intact for awhile even while it was taken off its supports, I figured they were going to reuse it somewhere though I'm not sure if that's been done or not
Is this the one you're referring to? A couple more pics I took in 2015:

The second "yellow" one of these is outside building 4000 which is next to the old Macy's / Foley's building. Not sure where the main one outside the lobby went, the one in the photos above. I speculated that maybe it's inside the building somewhere, but who knows? I'd like to see them repurpose it somewhere in the design to pay homage to this legendary retail space. I wonder if there might be some bits and pieces of other items inside the building that may also pay tribute to the mall.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 3:46 PM

Man, present day Highland Mall makes me so blue. I really wish Austin had more indoor shopping malls. The Domain is amazing for what it has to offer, but doesn't give me that same relaxed feeling that indoor malls provide.

It's crazy that a city of our size only has Barton Creek & Lakeline (which I adore). I wonder if we'll see smaller scale indoor urban malls pop up down the road (think River Center in SA)--there is something to be said about climate controlled shopping.

OR Crystals City Center in Vegas..I could actually totally see something like this for us here:

From Simon & centurion-magazine **

Last edited by ahealy; Jan 16, 2021 at 3:56 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 2:02 AM
Resident Moron

Isn't Crystal Cities a Lebsikind? I seriously doubt anyone is ever going to drop that kind of cash on a shopping mall outside of the Middle East or Asia ever again. The only part of City Center Vegas that isnt a complete financial disaster is the part that Deutsche Bank took in lieu of their billions in loans they'll never see again.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallRat2020 View Post
Is this the one you're referring to? A couple more pics I took in 2015:

This is a pic of my hometown mall. Growing up in Toledo, Ohio and spending much of my youth at Franklin Park Mall it kinda freaked me out when I moved here and saw Highland Mall for the first time.

photo from google image search

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 4:52 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I think culturally the era of indoor malls is over. I was a mall rat for a few years, Barton Creek being my home base but it was my teen years, as I got into my 20s, got to the point where I got tired of going to the mall. It's been a few years since I've set foot inside Barton Creek Mall. I just prefer a more cosmopolitan shopping experience like shopping Downtown, SoCo, and other street front shops or shop or once or twice a year at the Domain. Indoor malls are just so sterile IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin