HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 7:26 PM

^^^ much of your argument seems poorly constructed, and built around a desire to justify your preconceived conclusion. The impression is that you search for, and pick and choose data and comparisons that will somehow support your theory no matter how much you have to stretch to explain and justify your choices.

I don't have the patience to address the inconsistencies of your argument in the detail that Cirrus has shown but it seems to me like you are reaching a bit and that you may confuse correlation with causation.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 8:40 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Why do you keep coming back to RTD? Nobody is proposing RTD do streetcars. Denver should do streetcars. And RTD should do whatever it is you feel transit agencies should do (which is apparently not worry about our urban form).

Also, I would rather stand on a train than sit on a bus. In fact, I often stand on trains. I almost never ride buses. But I suppose as a rich white guy, what I want doesn't matter. Which is why most days I drive.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 8:48 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmapper View Post
1. While the ultimate configuration may be up to the agency, the streetcar seating configuration in question is used by both Portland and Seattle, the two US cities with new-build "modern" streetcar lines. Likewise, the interior transit bus seating configuration in both cities is similar to buses operated by RTD, with the substantial number of seats facing forward with two on each side of a central aisle. Standard operational capacity should be preferred over technical capacity; the latter deals with how many people can physically fit in a vehicle, while the former deals with how many should fit. Given that customers prefer to be seated as opposed to standing, particularly if the trip is over a standard of roughly 15 to 20 minutes, some standing capacity is necessary, but not ideal from the point of view of the customer. It would be a comfort downgrade to tell customers that while they were previously able to get a seat on a bus, they must now stand on the streetcar. Additionally, the United Streetcar Model 100 has been used nearly exclusively in promotional materials related to new streetcar lines, and is what a reasonably informed citizen would cite as a "modern streetcar vehicle".

2. Once again, false. Your original claim was that streetcars were more "affordable" than buses, made with a logical argument with no citations provided. Through the use of NTD data, I proved that the existing examples of modern streetcars have a higher cost on a per-vehicle-hour basis, a standard benchmark of comparison between modes and agencies. You countered by falsely claiming my argument is a strawman, and stating they are lower once they pass a ridership threshold. However, per-vehicle-hour costs slightly correlate positively, not negatively, with ridership on a per-vehicle-hour basis. Once again, comparisons based on expenditures-per-customer are inherently misleading because buses are politically required to service all areas, including areas where transit service exists on what would be considered to be a coverage basis.

It has been noted that you admit the Portland Streetcar "actually has pretty low ridership".

3. Again, this is about the real world, not theoretical situations. In practice, the "P" bus customers had their route curtailed and were directed to light rail; as you imply, redirected from a "luxurious bus" to a "crappy train". To the "P" bus customers, switching from coaches to light rail is a downgrade. In addition, cross-apply the response to point 1: Sitting on a bus is preferable in comfort to standing on a rail vehicle.

4. I apologize I am not making the argument you would prefer I make; however, my argument is still valid. Additionally, you are making a strawman argument - at no point did I argue in favor or against trolleybuses. The point not contested by you still stands - overlay networks create a two-tiered system.

5. Claiming that international transit and author Jarrett Walker "[applies principles] universally without thinking" is not only wrong, but outright accusatory towards an expert with many projects to his name. Additionally, you only prove my point by claiming streetcars are for "key corridors". As evidence from Portland and Seattle has clearly shown, "key corridors" is simply another way of stating "wealthy, white, and young" neighborhoods, not high ridership potential routes as one may assume.

My position with regards to RTD's FasTracks program, specifically new commuter and light rail lines, is irrelevant and immaterial to the discussion, which is about streetcars. I am not inherently bound by your false dilemma.

6. Obviously, nothing earthly exists in a vacuum. However, in the case of transit operating agencies, scope is a matter of mission - every resource (human, capital, etc) focused on development is a resource that can't be used for direct improvements to the transit system, which is within a transit agencies mission. While McDonalds and Home Depot are both retail, it is not within the mission of McDonalds to sell lawnmowers; likewise, while transit and development both affect urban form, it is not within the mission of the transit agency to focus on development.

The study you cite is flawed on numerous grounds. Any citations within must be treated with skepticism - HR&A focuses only on private-public development proposals. Inherently, they will only produce a study stating that development is good; if they were to state to the contrary, they would lose business. In the words of American author Upton Sinclair, "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" Additionally, HR&A was hired by Arlington County - they are as independent and unbiased as a hired court witness. While I fully admit I am not familiar with the specifics of the corridor you are involved with, this comment on the website you post adequately sums up the inherent structural failures with the study.

Additionally, you concede by silence the negative impacts tax breaks and subsidies have on other governmental agencies whose funding source is those taxes, such as the Portland Public School system.

7. Concede.

8. The burden of proof lies with the claimant, not the contestant. It is your burden to prove that streetcars are quieter than buses, not mine. Buses have been making drastic improvements over the years in reducing noise; for instance, compare the diesel engine of a bus built only 15 years ago to one built within the last few years. A link would be impractical as this is best determined through sound, which is compressed and distorted over typical recording devices, end-user computer speakers, and online hosting mediums. Rail-based vehicles produce plenty of noise, particularly when passing around tight corners.

9. It has been noted that you state "For the vast majority or transit routes, the benefits of bus outweigh the benefits of rail." While I won't bind myself to an absolute statement, absent a very specific circumstance (such as an abnormally restrictive weight restriction on a historic bridge or abnormally restrictive vertical or horizontal clearances posed in tunnels), buses *almost always* outweigh streetcars in terms of benefits. In the specific case of Denver, taking into account the operational characteristics of streetcars and buses, no reasonably feasible corridor meets any circumstance requiring the operation of streetcar.

And finally, streetcars uniquely pose disadvantages towards non-white, non-wealthy, and non-Millennial populations that buses and other rail systems do not have. The high capital and operational costs associated with streetcars limit their use to only a few select corridors, not citywide. While other rail modes are similarly restricted by high capital and operational costs, their role as regional truck lines as opposed to local circulators results in the political process proposing new light and heavy rail lines where ridership is or can be reasonably expected to be, not where politically favorable neighborhoods are in the case of streetcars. While it is possible to outright discriminate with buses, the structure of transit agency governing bodies, especially the relevant Denver agency, RTD, results in bus service distributed on an "equal" basis. While "equal" is a subjective term that can mean different things to different people, RTD bus service does not neglect to outright service politically undesirable neighborhoods, like streetcars inherently have been shown to do.
Are you Suey Park? The interview she had on Salon.com today is just as easy to follow and makes exactly as much sense; a HUGE circle with big words strung together to guard against sounding like Sarah Palin. As if a string of long words making no sense is any more coherent than a string of short words.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 9:08 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmapper
1. Ultimate configuration may be up to the agency, the streetcar seating configuration in question is used by both Portland and Seattle...

the interior transit bus seating configuration in both cities is similar to buses operated by RTD, with the substantial number of seats facing forward with two on each side of a central aisle...

Given that customers prefer to be seated as opposed to standing, particularly if the trip is over a standard of roughly 15 to 20 minutes...

the United Streetcar Model 100 has been used nearly exclusively in promotional materials...
So your argument is that you've seen a picture of the Portland streetcar, therefore all streetcars must be exactly like it. Gonna have to go ahead and say that's not a valid argument.

The Portland streetcar has fewer seats because it is NOT 2 seats on each side of a central aisle. One side has only 1 seat. But many streetcars are available that offer 2 seats per row, and those all have more seats than a bus.

Also, one of the main points of streetcars is for short trips that are less than 15-20 minutes, just as with the standing-oriented 16th Street Mall bus. The entire premise is for quick hop-on-hop-off trips. Saying that people want more comfort on trips over 20 minutes is true, but it's irrelevant; it's like saying we shouldn't bother building highways in Colorado because people traveling to Hawaii prefer airplanes. And BTW, you dismissed the pro-comfort advantages of streetcars as unimportant, but now you're arguing the pro-comfort advantages of buses are crucial? Which is it? You're changing your argument about the importance of passenger comfort based solely on whether you think it supports your position or not. You are cherry picking.

For the record: The smoothness factor, a comfort advantage of streetcars, is more important when you expect more riders to stand. This all connects and is not an accident.

Quote:
2. Once again, false. Your original claim was that streetcars were more "affordable" than buses...
Here's what my original claim actually said (bold emphasis added here):
"Streetcars are often more affordable than buses... capital cost can be offset by significant operational savings year-to year, depending on the circumstances. In the long term, streetcars are more affordable on very high ridership routes."
I qualified that statement no less than 4 different times. You cannot pretend I didn't.

Quote:
3. this is about the real world, not theoretical situations. In practice, the "P" bus customers had their route curtailed and were directed to light rail; as you imply, redirected from a "luxurious bus" to a "crappy train".
I'm not completely sure what you're talking about, but I'm talking about inherent differences between bus and rail. I'm talking about things that make one or the other better when all other things are equal, because I'm interested in knowing the actual real-life strengths and weaknesses of each mode. I'm not cherry picking examples to try and make one look good and the other look bad, which seems to be what you're doing.

Quote:
4. The point not contested by you still stands - overlay networks create a two-tiered system.
I didn't contest it because it's irrevelant to any discussion of inherent differences between streetcars and buses. Two-tiered systems are possible with both, and full integration is possible with both. It's not a meaningful variable in this discussion.

Quote:
5. Claiming that international transit and author Jarrett Walker "[applies principles] universally without thinking" is not only wrong...

"key corridors" is simply another way of stating "wealthy, white, and young" neighborhoods, not high ridership potential routes as one may assume.
I said he doesn't do that, and I'll thank you not to implicitly accuse me of racism. I think you are reading what you want to read, and assuming what you want to assume, to justify your preconceived notions.

Quote:
My position with regards to RTD's FasTracks program, specifically new commuter and light rail lines, is irrelevant and immaterial to the discussion, which is about streetcars. I am not inherently bound by your false dilemma...

While I won't bind myself to an absolute statement, absent a very specific circumstance (such as an abnormally restrictive weight restriction on a historic bridge or abnormally restrictive vertical or horizontal clearances posed in tunnels), buses *almost always* outweigh streetcars in terms of benefits...
All right. I think you're wrong, and a lot of cost-benefit-analyses done in a lot of locations point to you being wrong, but let's forget all that. You are admitting here that there are some abilities streetcars have that buses do not. Care to list what you think those abilities are, if not the ones I've already said? Fair is fair so I'll tell what I think the inherent benefits of buses are, if you do it.

Quote:
6. it is not within the mission of the transit agency to focus on development.
Yes it is. Absolutely it is. Transportaiton is a means to an end, not an end in and of itself. It's a means to achieving a pleasant and efficient built environment. If we were only interested in transportation for purely transportation's sake, that is to say moving the largest number of people the most efficiently as possible, we'd outlaw cars, outlaw comfortable buses, and make everyone ride schoolbuses everywhere they go. We don't do that because producing a nice place to live and work is the exact mission of every transportation department.

Quote:
The study you cite is flawed
Got it. You demand citations and professional analysis, but they don't count if they don't agree with your preconceived notion. Duly noted. You'll forgive me if I'm not impressed by that argument.

Quote:
negative impacts tax breaks and subsidies have on other governmental agencies whose funding source is those taxes, such as the Portland Public School system.
An ironic argument, considering earlier you demanded that we ignore the development (and thus tax-revenue-increasing) benefits of transportation. Again you cherry pick to support only one position. You focus on the costs and demand we pretend that profits do not exist. Your argument is hypocritical and your position is invalid.

Quote:
8. It is your burden to prove that streetcars are quieter than buses...
I admit that without a study at my right hand I cannot conclusively prove it to you this second. But it's common knowledge, and if you are going to dispute common knowledge and expect to be listened to then I don't think it unreasonable to ask you to prove your claim. Which of us made our claim first is semantic. Can you prove to me that buses are as quiet as streetcars? That is your claim, is it not? If you can't prove it then the most either of us can say is that streetcars are widely believed to be quieter, but that this is ultimately an open question.

Quote:
streetcars uniquely pose disadvantages towards non-white, non-wealthy, and non-Millennial populations that buses and other rail systems do not have. While other rail modes are similarly restricted by high capital and operational costs, their role as regional truck lines as opposed to local circulators results in the political process proposing new light and heavy rail lines where ridership is or can be reasonably expected to be, not where politically favorable neighborhoods are in the case of streetcars.
This is nonsense. Both the US and world are full of streetcar lines that are not in wealthy, white, millenial-dominated locations. The only way to claim otherwise is to ignore everything except Portland and Seattle, which would be disingenuous and misleading in the extreme. I'll be happy to provide examples if you like.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 9:54 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Something else Cirrus didn't pounce on, probably because he isn't as familiar with the routes here. But you lose all credibility as a champion of the bus-riding common man when you trot out Route P as an example. There is no transit service anywhere that is more subsidized and more focused on wealthy working people that a direct express bus route - on a large coach bus, no less - from bfe suburbia Parker into the City. Who do you think it is commuting on a plush bus from Parker to Denver? Clue: it's not the same transit dependent clientele that'll be displaced by the evil streetcar on Colfax.

RTD stopping subsidies for inefficient express commuter routes, and instead forcing those folks to transfer to the light rail (and oftentimes, actually increasing the frequency of those feeder routes) is the worst possible example you could have picked of a transit agency cutting buses to pay for rail. Those examples exist in other cities. But you use Route P as an example, which is foolish, because that is unquestionably smart transit leadership. And I don't say things like that about RTD all that often. But when it comes to re-routing suburban routes to tie into light rail, and cutting garbage route, RTD has done a great job.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 9:58 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmapper View Post
And finally, streetcars uniquely pose disadvantages towards non-white, non-wealthy, and non-Millennial populations that buses and other rail systems do not have. The high capital and operational costs associated with streetcars limit their use to only a few select corridors, not citywide. While other rail modes are similarly restricted by high capital and operational costs, their role as regional truck lines as opposed to local circulators results in the political process proposing new light and heavy rail lines where ridership is or can be reasonably expected to be, not where politically favorable neighborhoods are in the case of streetcars. While it is possible to outright discriminate with buses, the structure of transit agency governing bodies, especially the relevant Denver agency, RTD, results in bus service distributed on an "equal" basis. While "equal" is a subjective term that can mean different things to different people, RTD bus service does not neglect to outright service politically undesirable neighborhoods, like streetcars inherently have been shown to do.
Explain Welton. RTD has been benefiting poor minority neighborhoods with rail since its inception in Denver. And it's been a total failure - it's the least useful line in the system. Which is why we're looking at replacing it with a streetcar.

Please, reconcile Welton with what you said there for me. I suppose, using your methods of logic, the only obvious conclusion would be that only wealthy, white, millennial populations like riding transit. Since we gave the best transit we have to a minority neighborhood, and it failed.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:18 AM

And while we quibble over streetcar vs bus, CDOT is going to spend 1.8 billion on highway expansion just north of downtown- http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25...i-70-expansion

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:34 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverRider2 View Post
And while we quibble over streetcar vs bus, CDOT is going to spend 1.8 billion on highway expansion just north of downtown- http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25...i-70-expansion
Good, it needs to be fixed. It's a solid plan, they should build it.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Good, it needs to be fixed. It's a solid plan, they should build it.
So what's the point of even having the above discussion if all our resources are being poured into highways?

At some point we need to make the painful realization that current mode share is based on past investment and future mode share will be based on our current investments. Otherwise we will continue to have more of the same.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 5:54 AM

Interesting collection of thoughts.

I am of the opinion that transportation planning, even among the "millenials" is about 10 years behind the curve.

A higher percentage of money needs to be allocated (after horrid political infighting) into accepting changing demographics which will mean a higher percentage of a greater population will either not be able own a car, or will want to use cars they own more sparingly.

Therefore the issues always are real estate development, length of trip, frequency, destination, and, safety.

What does this actually mean? Simply, that an ever larger number of people will need to travel where they need to go more of the time without the automobile, whether by light rail, bus, motorbike, bike, or on foot.

For example, while hordes of people to work in Denver's downtown core, that percentage is very likely only about 7 percentage of all Denver metro jobs. The light and commuter rail system is neither designed or intended by design to move people between points that both lie outside the Core: a critical long term mistake which will become more and more evident with time.

How people are to be moved as the scenario changes is less important than the acceptance that people WILL move as they must, regardless of mode.

In terms of public transportation, buses are cheaper to BUY, use existing right of way, and, have almost infinite route flexibility. However, buses cannot provide the high volume rider movement abilities of circular rail loops that connect spokes feeding riders into downtowns, nor can buses equal rail capacities in radial spokes. However, their huge advantage, that of flexibility of route and change of route in response to changes in ridership makes the bus system the key component metro-wide transportation in the US.

As I see it, Denver's next move would be to expand the (metro total) bus system at a several percent faster rate than growth. This needs to concentrated on arterials that have retail, business, and, residential on either side of the road, not limited access roads and freeways.

Buses provide a cheap method to travel short distances along stretches of road whose route can be easily adjusted to real traffic demands.

Broadway, Colorado, Hampden (between Santa Fe) and the Havana "extension", Federal- between US 285 and ?, Evans, Leedsdale, etc, should have more local buses and semi-expresses, for example.

We need a highly evolved bus grid that is not subservient to RTD's obvious need to increase rail ridership numbers: a huge percentage of total ridership is between points that either do not lie near the LRT route or where LRT when part of the connection route makes the A to B trip take far more time than might be provided by two linear bus routes and a simple transfer.

Colfax and Colorado are two unique streets in metro Denver, IMO, in that both have had a long history of commercial/retail development, and, have the ingredients for street cars. Both have enough ridership volume on buses now, combined with ridership that does not transfer through downtown to get from A to B, to warrant some kind of fixed transportation system. Colorado connects (or will connect) the DIA rail line with the SE commuter line. Colfax would connect the I-225 rail line, the Colorado Blvd Street car line (that connects the DIA line and the SE line), Civic Street Station, and, the Colfax Light Rail Station.

Of course, this is hugely expensive, and, the tea leafs point to a less prosperous future, so doing something like this is very unlikely.

Instead, much thought (more than has been done to this point) should be done both on increasing the bus capacity on roads such as these and getting dedicated right of way for these buses now. The efficient use of barriers to X traffic between one lane streets can start with bus right of way. Bus stations can be built as islands between in/out going lanes, etc.

When, and, if, Denver, RTD, or who ever has the money and power, builds LRT or subway, (most or at least some of) the right-of-way would be owned by the transit authority and massive improvement can then proceed at a minimum cost.

As I have said many times, every good investor hedges his or her bets. Build the freeways on a slightly humbler style, and hedge the car bet with bets concerning our having already hit "Maximum cars."

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Last edited by Wizened Variations; Apr 4, 2014 at 6:18 AM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 12:25 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
So what's the point of even having the above discussion if all our resources are being poured into highways?

At some point we need to make the painful realization that current mode share is based on past investment and future mode share will be based on our current investments. Otherwise we will continue to have more of the same.
"All" of our resources are not being poured into highways. The above discussion is completely unrelated. And in fact, the inability to get half the city to sign up to the notion of streetcars, even without considering how we pay for them, is working against us. But I think it's naive to say that every road project must be opposed on principle until we can sort transit out. It isn't necessary to be anti-car to be pro-transit. Nor is it acceptable to build support for transit by consciously making driving more difficult - I don't accept that approach, and it's a certain political loser with anybody who doesn't consider the automobile to be an intrinsic evil.

Also, we're adding another million people to the metro. How do you think they're going to get around? Answer: not bikes, and not fastracks. Go ahead and add bus miles, but that's not an option folks who have means are going to choose. You're not going to force me on to a bus by refusing to expand roads. Unless that bus is BRT-quality; I love me some BRT. Alas, there's not a single BRT proposal out there.

Until we can agree on a program that would actually give folks options, I will continue to drive, as will most people. And I won't support a no-roadway-expansion agenda until there are alternatives. And you can't say a lack of money is the problem - we don't even have a plan or an idea of what it would cost yet. It's disingenuous to blame cars and say you can't afford something before you even know that something's price.

Frankly, it sounds like the same approach public schools use. If only we had more money we'd... do what, exactly? Nobody really knows.

All I know is that there isn't a single unfunded rail plan sitting on a shelf in Denver right now that I care about seeing finished or that would have any appreciable impact on Denver. So by all means, fix a broken highway. Transit forfeits this round; we're not even competing.

Last edited by bunt_q; Apr 4, 2014 at 12:44 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 2:59 PM

Quote:
"All" of our resources are not being poured into highways. The above discussion is completely unrelated. And in fact, the inability to get half the city to sign up to the notion of streetcars, even without considering how we pay for them, is working against us. But I think it's naive to say that every road project must be opposed on principle until we can sort transit out. It isn't necessary to be anti-car to be pro-transit. Nor is it acceptable to build support for transit by consciously making driving more difficult - I don't accept that approach, and it's a certain political loser with anybody who doesn't consider the automobile to be an intrinsic evil.

Also, we're adding another million people to the metro. How do you think they're going to get around? Answer: not bikes, and not fastracks. Go ahead and add bus miles, but that's not an option folks who have means are going to choose. You're not going to force me on to a bus by refusing to expand roads. Unless that bus is BRT-quality; I love me some BRT. Alas, there's not a single BRT proposal out there.

Until we can agree on a program that would actually give folks options, I will continue to drive, as will most people. And I won't support a no-roadway-expansion agenda until there are alternatives. And you can't say a lack of money is the problem - we don't even have a plan or an idea of what it would cost yet. It's disingenuous to blame cars and say you can't afford something before you even know that something's price.
When people make choices between driving and transit, investment is pretty much a zero sum game. We cannot whine that denver has ignored transit for so long and then accept 1.8 billion be spent on a short segment of metro highway. This corridor will essentially be competing with the East line and it is not unreasonable to suggest that a little congestion on I70 between brighton and pena would improve ridership and make the rail investment more worthwhile. Likewise if CDOT had spent 100 million on improving the W line ROW rather than widening some bridges along 6 ave, we could drastically improve ridership.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:10 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
When people make choices between driving and transit, investment is pretty much a zero sum game. We cannot whine that denver has ignored transit for so long and then accept 1.8 billion be spent on a short segment of metro highway. This corridor will essentially be competing with the East line and it is not unreasonable to suggest that a little congestion on I70 between brighton and pena would improve ridership and make the lightrail investment more worthwhile. Likewise if CDOT had spent 100 million on improving the W line ROW rather than widening some bridges along 6 ave, we could drastically improve ridership.
Really? So the major E/W freight corridor through Denver competes with the East Line? Please. Drive down I-70 and start counting the number of semi-trucks and service trucks that make up a % of the traffic. You won't divert that traffic onto the East Line.

Anyway, it's not a zero-sum game when the project is going to be done via a PPP with managed lanes. Instead of spending $1.8 billion on I-70 we would end up spending $0 on transit. With user fees it's no longer a zero sum game for funding.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:21 PM

Quote:

Frankly, it sounds like the same approach public schools use. If only we had more money we'd... do what, exactly? Nobody really knows.

All I know is that there isn't a single unfunded rail plan sitting on a shelf in Denver right now that I care about seeing finished or that would have any appreciable impact on Denver. So by all means, fix a broken highway. Transit forfeits this round; we're not even competing.

bunt-

Studies have shown that adding highway lane capacity does not decrease overall congestion. Your thought process falls perfectly in line with the LA thought process. Build more highway lanes to decrease congestion because "we are growing". It is an antiquated and it does not work, there are countless case studies surrounding this subject.

Wong-
This project is not about freight corridors, especially when toll lanes are being constructed. This construction would be in competition with the east line as stated earlier.

If you are going to expand roadways like this, toll all lanes, and you will quickly see there is not nearly the demand for 1.8 billion in new work.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Really? So the major E/W freight corridor through Denver competes with the East Line? Please. Drive down I-70 and start counting the number of semi-trucks and service trucks that make up a % of the traffic. You won't divert that traffic onto the East Line.

Anyway, it's not a zero-sum game when the project is going to be done via a PPP with managed lanes. Instead of spending $1.8 billion on I-70 we would end up spending $0 on transit. With user fees it's no longer a zero sum game for funding.
According to CDOT's AADT traffic counts those trucks make up only about 10%-15% of the daily traffic on that stretch of I70, and it's in a truck drivers best financial interest to avoid rush hour in a city if at all possible. We all know (or should know) that the lanes are primarily being added for peak commuter congestion.

Since the lanes are for commuters it's why commuters who may live in future Aurora/Denver sprawl should pay the cost for them. That's why from my perspective I have no problem with the additional capacity as long as they are HOT lanes. Which seems to be all CDOT can afford these days anyway so it works perfectly.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:39 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Wong-
This project is not about freight corridors, especially when toll lanes are being constructed. This construction would be in competition with the east line as stated earlier.

If you are going to expand roadways like this, toll all lanes, and you will quickly see there is not nearly the demand for 1.8 billion in new work.
Sure it is. The East Line serves none of the industrial districts that flank either side of I-70 for several miles along this section and it's hard to envision that someone would use the East Line to get to a distribution warehouse at Dahlia and 48th. Freight corridors are also employment centers and trucks are only part of the traffic that streams in and out of them, there's also the tens of thousands of workers who use the freight corridor as a commuter corridor.

But when toll lanes are the only way to finance such a project than, by God, you're going to get toll lanes (along with the benefit of peak congestion relief). But, you can't toll all lanes on an interstate. If CDOT had their druthers, and if it was politically realistic, I'm betting that you would see a number of roads going all toll in order to pay for maintenance and replacement.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:41 PM

CDOT and public transportation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post

This describes the "Real World" perfectly.

Until the CDOT bureaucracy, and, to a lessor extent, the RTD bureaucracy reflect different priorities as defined by public will, Denver will continue to tend to shoot "itself in the foot."

When CDOT and RTD do work together, such as both agencies did in the TRex project, CDOT will get the best right of way, the best over/underpass function, and, a significant portion of RTD money to assist in building expanded storm sewer lines.

CDOT is an old institution, with it's roots extending back before WWII. Multiple generations at CDOT have designed new freeways, expanded those already built, and, have made countless studies concerning future need. In most respects, CDOT thinking, based upon proposals, is anchored in the 1980s. Highways are viewed as THE solution, but, other alternatives are discussed as theoretical adjuncts if public transportation money can help subsidize the highway construction function.

Until this reality changes via changes in the economy combined with political will, CDOT will resist as well as ignore the desires of the public transportation infrastructure community.

While most of the public is ten years behind the curve, CDOT is at least 30 years behind current realities.

(There are people working at CDOT who are not behind the curve, but, CDOT orthodoxy is).

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg View Post
Since the lanes are for commuters it's why commuters who may live in future Aurora/Denver sprawl should pay the cost for them. That's why from my perspective I have no problem with the additional capacity as long as they are HOT lanes. Which seems to be all CDOT can afford these days anyway so it works perfectly.
Of course this assumes that traffic projections are accurate and tolls will actually be able to cover the 1.8 billion.

Annual DOT predictions vs. actual VMT

http://www.ssti.us/2013/12/new-trave...0b53a-45447449

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:48 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
I'm fine with this too, the extra lanes are all toll anyway, that stretch of highway looks horrible. The way the I-25 corridor ended up looking makes me optimistic that it will make a big difference in the area. Plus the toll lanes being all the extra capacity is pretty much the definition of making driving a little less convenient. Either sit in congested lanes, pay for the toll lanes or get an RTD pass. Assuming, of course that you're white, rich, or young enough for the bouncers to let you onto the train.

IF the highway becomes obsolete the toll lanes can be converted into BRT and the regular lanes can be converted to toll anyway. It's a perfect BRT corridor anyway - so just think of it as anticipating that future need.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainpathology View Post
I'm fine with this too, the extra lanes are all toll anyway, that stretch of highway looks horrible. The way the I-25 corridor ended up looking makes me optimistic that it will make a big difference in the area. Plus the toll lanes being all the extra capacity is pretty much the definition of making driving a little less convenient. Either sit in congested lanes, pay for the toll lanes or get an RTD pass. Assuming, of course that you're white, rich, or young enough for the bouncers to let you onto the train.

IF the highway becomes obsolete the toll lanes can be converted into BRT and the regular lanes can be converted to toll anyway. It's a perfect BRT corridor anyway - so just think of it as anticipating that future need.
Imagine that CDOT could not get the $1.8 billion, which due to I-70 being a Federal Interstate, has been far easier for CDOT to do than get additional monies for US 36....

What is the simplest solution? Keep things as they are.

What is a simple cheap solution? Eliminate on/off ramps at Brighton Blvd, Vasquez, and possibly Washington and use the lanes on I-70 that are designed for the on/off ramps as primary lanes. This would effectively increase the width of the freeway by 2 lanes in critical segments.

Next improvement

Improve I-270 by widening it to 4 lanes x2. Improve the Quebec Street- I-270 interchange to provide unhindered access onto west I-70. Improve the access between I-76, I-25, and, I-270.

But these alternatives do not fit CDOT orthodoxy which based upon it's history with the Federal Government has been to maximize Federal monies and to build as big a project that can be significantly subsidized with such monies.

This feeds the long established CDOT network of engineers, and, contractors with which CDOT has had multigenerational relationships.

We are talking about a lot of money, here. This is a plum for the local highway construction industry.

(the covered freeway segment just is just construction frosting on the cake.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West