HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 2:37 AM
I am a typical

http://www.saultstar.com/2013/05/24/...brewery-office

The building Sault Ste. Marie's 42 storey building might be replacing was hit with arson in February and the developer from Toronto hasn't yet demolished it, the city will likely do so. They're saying the project is still going forward but are now non-committal to the number of floors.

It would have looked like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
I hope the city also bans right hand turns for southbound traffic off May onto Arthur nearby on the red light. That intersection is far more dangerous because of the traffic volumes. I have lost count of how many times I have come around the corner where Simpson turns to Arthur and had to break hard to avoid hitting the city bus that uses both lanes to turn, never mind cars.
Until we find somewhere else to put the buses downtown (and city hall is basically the only willing location) they can't really do that. My driving instructor told me to always take it slow around that corner and expect the unexpected once you hit May.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 4:03 AM

Heard a rumour a little while ago of another business (General Appliance??? someone else???) from the south end of Simpson Street moving to the Gilbert's Furniture building.

Haven't seen any signs there of it being true.

Anyone hear of any news for anyone opening up/moving to that location?

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 3:35 PM
I am a typical

Music World is moving into Gilberts, they're slowly working at renovations. Should be opening by the end of June, I think.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Music World is moving into Gilberts, they're slowly working at renovations. Should be opening by the end of June, I think.
Thanks for the information. Glad to see someone moving into one of the better looking buildings on Simpson.

Checked out the new Surplus store on Simpson a couple weeks ago. Was looking more for well used (and cheaper) Military surplus items but their stuff is new and near new. They have mostly Canada, U.S., and UK clothing and bags.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 8:03 PM

Quote:
[url]Until we find somewhere else to put the buses downtown (and city hall is basically the only willing location) they can't really do that. My driving instructor told me to always take it slow around that corner and expect the unexpected once you hit May.
They could stop vehicles from turning right on the red light. It wouldn't have that much impact on traffic flow. It would probably be a major money maker for the police too since a lot of drivers in this town either ignore or don't even notice traffic signs.

======

Phase II of the CEISS development is breaking ground next week! Budgetary issues that delayed construction have obviously been dealt with some how. I'm not sure if anything was cut out of the original design or if some party involved came up with more money. I'm sure those details will come out with time. Anyhow, Bondfield Construction from southern Ontario is putting up the 7 storey building. Ground breaking will occur in the next week or so. The project will take 2 to 3 years to complete from what I have heard.

The former Interim Long Care Centre sandwiched in the middle of Mini Queen's Park has sold. I'm not sure who the buyer is or what the plans are for the property. The building itself is pretty aged inside and cramped from what I have heard.

According to a Northern Ontario Business article that discusses the airport, construction of the Hampton Inn hotel is supposed to "begin in spring". I guess we at least know the proposal is still alive, but not much other than that.

Last edited by TbayON; May 26, 2013 at 8:37 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 2:13 AM

The mayor made a comment this evening at city council suggesting the Birla is looking to open an office in Thunder Bay at the Whalen Building. The comment came while council was debating investing another $1 million into the building for reno's to three floors, which would leverage an additional $1 million from each the province and feds.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 9:25 PM
Urban Fanactic

One less hurdle for redevelopment of St. Mary's Paper site

Quote:
As expected, City Council cleared the way at its regular meeting Monday for Riversedge Developments Inc. to move ahead in earnest with redevelopment and reuse of the old St. Mary's Paper site's former office building, machine shop, and related parking.

Council's decision Monday removes a holding by-law for those particular parts of the property.

The site was purchased by Woodstock, Ontario-based Riversedge in April 2012 after St. Mary's Paper went bankrupt in 2011.

Riversedge specializes in redeveloping old industrial sites for new, alternative purposes.

It has not yet been finalized as to exactly how Riversedge plans to transform the property.

Concepts that could possibly be included in the site's new multi-purpose role include a performing arts centre, a farmers' market, an exhibition space and an art gallery.

One component - the machine shop - has already shown its potential as a performing arts centre, beginning with events hosted there in last year's Algoma Fall Festival.

Known as Mill Square, the old machine shop has the capacity of seating between 250 and 600 people for events, and boasts splendid acoustics.

Riversedge has said it intends to keep up the site's historic sandstone building look.

The property has two designated heritage structures, which will remain in place.

One of them is a replica of a canoe lock that was built in 1896.

The other is the general office building, constructed of sandstone, in the early 1900s.

No new buildings are to be added to the area.
From Sootoday. http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ls.asp?c=57559

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 1:16 AM

Some work is being done on the empty gravel and parking lot surrounding area that was formerly the TD Bank at the Harbour and Memorial. Not sure what the final goal is there yet.

The political groundbreaking for phase II of the CEISS project occurred earlier today:
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/artsandli...0%99s-Services

The rumour mill continues to circle that NoFrills will be setting up at Northwood Park Plaza and at County Fair. Apparently the County Fair store will be in the former Canadian Tire location at the back of the mall, if said rumours pan out.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 2:00 AM
I am a typical

The final goal there is more likely than not, to have a nicely paved parking lot.

I thought Extra Foods was taking over those two places, and I haven't heard anything about the Canadian Tire location. That is owned by a different company than the rest of the mall.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 3:01 AM

Quote:
The final goal there is more likely than not, to have a nicely paved parking lot.

I thought Extra Foods was taking over those two places, and I haven't heard anything about the Canadian Tire location. That is owned by a different company than the rest of the mall.
Whether its Extra Foods or No Frills it doesnt really matter as both their parent company is Loblaws . Being formally from southern Ontario , im hoping its a No Frills though as i found the prices decent .
Most No Frills are small , so the Canadian Tire location doesnt make much sense . Plus its out of view , and having Walmart and Safeway there they would get killed . I see a locating at Northwood Foods as a great spot .
On another note , i wonder what happen to the Toronto investor who was going to spend tons of money fixing up the mall at County Fair ? With Walmart being there and making the mall updated i could see it thriving .

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 12:14 AM
I am a typical

They're probably still working on a plan for what they're going to do with the mall.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 11:41 AM

There was some news about Costco in the Ottawa Citizen yesterday. Their plan is to build 25 new stores in Canada to bring the total up to 110. They also mentioned that there are still alot of opportunities in Ontario. Given the earlier posts on Costco and this news I think it's a safe bet that one of those 110 stores will be in Thunder Bay!

Last edited by ADLS; Jun 6, 2013 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spelling error

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
On another note , i wonder what happen to the Toronto investor who was going to spend tons of money fixing up the mall at County Fair ? With Walmart being there and making the mall updated i could see it thriving .
The buildings at the north end of the property have been torn down, which included the old lumber yard. So, something has happened, just not much yet. The outfit that bought it does have quite a listing of properties in southern Ontario, in addition to Grandview Mall here in Thunder Bay. They have deep enough pockets to make it happen. Like you though, I have heard very little since the initial purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADLS View Post
There was some news about Costco in the Ottawa Citizen yesterday. Their plan is to build 25 new stores in Canada to bring the total up to 110. They also mentioned that there are still alot of opportunities in Ontario. Given the earlier posts on Costco and this news I think it's a safe bet that one of those 110 stores will be in Thunder Bay!
The rumour floating around now is that a ground breaking date has already been set in the Innova Park area. A Costco store would be about as good as you can get for an anchor tenant to get the Innova area moving.

=====
Tender is out for the new Red River Co-op gas station and convenience store in Dryden. The company announced plans to set up shop there quite a while back. I suspect the company will eventually make its way to Thunder Bay, although FWFN's offering of cheaper gas prices makes Thunder Bay a less desirable target I am sure. From my experiences out west, the Co-op gas stations tend to be the best kept and clean gas stations in the parts of Canada I have seen.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 12:13 AM
I am a typical

They should put a Red River Co-Op on Red River Road in Red River Ward.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 1:22 AM

Quote:
They should put a Red River Co-Op on Red River Road in Red River Ward.
Yea, not only does it make sense based on naming, but it will also help break Shell's near monopoly for gas stations on that road.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 2:41 AM
I am a typical

"We are trying a new concept here in Thunder Bay, it's a Shell gas bar within a Shell gas bar. It will be located beside the three other Shell gas bars on the 800 block of Red River Road, which the mayor has declared the Shell Gas Bar District."

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
The buildings at the north end of the property have been torn down, which included the old lumber yard. So, something has happened, just not much yet. The outfit that bought it does have quite a listing of properties in southern Ontario, in addition to Grandview Mall here in Thunder Bay. They have deep enough pockets to make it happen. Like you though, I have heard very little since the initial purchase.
Goldmanco bought County Fair, but I was under the impression that Mirabelli still owned Grandview.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjernobyl View Post
Goldmanco bought County Fair, but I was under the impression that Mirabelli still owned Grandview.
I noticed Grandview Mall was listed on the Goldmanco website when I checked it out after they purchased County Fair. I just checked the Mirabelli site, and Grandview Mall is also listed as one of their properties . Perhaps the mall was developed by Goldmanco, and is now managed by Mirabelli (some of the info on the Goldmanco site leads to me to believe this).

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 8:43 PM
I am a typical

Mirabelli manages all of the malls except Intercity, including Victoriaville.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 4:23 AM
ARTchitecture

No update on the waterfront condos/hotel?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario