HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 11:10 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
The Abitibi and Temiskaming names belong just as much to Ontario as they do to Quebec. The original inhabitants were know as the "Abitibis" (often spelled a bit differently) and they lived in the area surrounding Lake Abitibi and spreading out quite far. They spoke an Algonquin language.

Lake Abitibi is a border lake although 90% of it is in Ontario. The Abitibi River is entirely in Ontario and runs through Iroquois Fall where the Abitibi Power and Paper Company began which eventually became Abitibi-Consolidated then Abitibi-Bowater and now Resolute.

The Abitibi name is commonly used in mining in both provinces to identify the region.

And for Temiskaming (Témiscamingue), Lake Temiskaming (lac Témiscamingue) has the border running right through it. There is the City of Temiskaming Shores and the area has always been known as Temiskaming but sometimes the spelling changed.

Both sides of the Ontario-Quebec border in the area have much in common. (Mining, forestry, agriculture) and were developed together. The first roads and rail to the Quebec portion to places like Rouyn were only through Ontario. There are many mining and forestry companies that operate on both sides and many smaller specialty companies that do the same.
Also, people from the Ontario side often have Quebecois-like accents when they speak English.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 1:51 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
The Abitibi and Temiskaming names belong just as much to Ontario as they do to Quebec. The original inhabitants were know as the "Abitibis" (often spelled a bit differently) and they lived in the area surrounding Lake Abitibi and spreading out quite far. They spoke an Algonquin language.

Lake Abitibi is a border lake although 90% of it is in Ontario. The Abitibi River is entirely in Ontario and runs through Iroquois Fall where the Abitibi Power and Paper Company began which eventually became Abitibi-Consolidated then Abitibi-Bowater and now Resolute.

The Abitibi name is commonly used in mining in both provinces to identify the region.

And for Temiskaming (Témiscamingue), Lake Temiskaming (lac Témiscamingue) has the border running right through it. There is the City of Temiskaming Shores and the area has always been known as Temiskaming but sometimes the spelling changed.

Both sides of the Ontario-Quebec border in the area have much in common. (Mining, forestry, agriculture) and were developed together. The first roads and rail to the Quebec portion to places like Rouyn were only through Ontario. There are many mining and forestry companies that operate on both sides and many smaller specialty companies that do the same.
You're absolutely right of course. But, you know...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 2:01 AM
I am a typical

I interpret Abitibi-Temiskaming as being a single region, bisected by a provincial border.

In Northwestern Ontario, we don't refer to the region where Thunder Bay and Marathon are located as "the coast", and we often laugh when people call it that. It's the North Shore, and North Shore is a very common name for things up here. (In Wisconsin, they're south of the lake, but refer to their shoreline as "The North Coast"). To us, "Coastal" is the Hudson and James bays.

Northwestern Ontarians have regional names for general areas, they just aren't common to people down south. The area around Kenora is the "Lake of the Woods"; it doesn't just refer to the lake itself, it's the region around the lake. Kenora District north of the Albany River is the Patricia District, a former district of the Keewatin Territory which was added to Ontario in 1912; the term is still used today to refer to that part of Kenora District (often as a hyphenated name—"Kenora-Patricia"—or on it's own: "The Patricia Portion").

Between Thunder Bay and Fort Frances is "Quetico", which includes the town of Atikokan.

From Kakabeka to Algoma, along Lake Superior, it's The North Shore. Northwest of that is Nipigon (and Wabakimi further northwest), due north is Greenstone, northeast is Manitouwadge. North of those three regions is the new Ring of Fire. Sometimes referred to as the Matawa Region as the First Nations there are part of the Matawa Tribal Council of NAN.

Ontario's far north is largely covered by Treaty 9, which is governed by the Nishnawbe Aski Nation (which is Cree for "First Nation Nation Nation", btw ) but also known as The Lowlands or the Far North. That region's northern limit is the Hudson/James Bay Coast.

These aren't widely known terms, but they are used to some extent.

The Ojibwe word for the area around Lake Superior is Gitchigaming (the lake itself is Gitchigama, or some variation of that) and that word is relatively common around here.

Stateside, Duluth is Fond-du-Lac (bottom of the lake); Thunder Bay was Tete-du-Lac or "Lakehead", a common name not just for the city itself but for, generally, the entire Thunder Bay district west of Nipigon Bay; though it is also used in Duluth to some extent. The official North Shore of Lake Superior is from Duluth to Sault Ste. Marie. The south shore is also from Duluth to Sault Ste. Marie, but opposite the north shore. No one refers to any kind of west or east shore as far as I've ever heard, but the terms "Superior West", "Superior North" and "Superior East" are used for political and meteorological purposes.

Part of the Iron Range also extends into Canada. Atikokan to Thunder Bay is generally thought of as the northern edge of that feature.

From Thunder Bay to Nipigon, there are many canyons, so that area is called Canyon Country.

I'm sure other regions of the province have names like this, it's just a matter of making the more well-known and accepted terms more widely recognizable.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 2:10 AM
I am a typical

A lot of our regional names come from French, btw. Lake of the Woods was originally called lac du bois. Rainy River was originally called riviere a la pluie. Lake Superior was called lac superior because it was "superior" (above) the other lakes. Sault Ste. Marie is a French name. Thunder Bay got its name from the bay, which was called baie du tonnerre by the voyageurs. There are still some French names around, like lac-de-mille-lacs and lac-des-iles. Thunder Bay has pointe-de-meuron (where Fort William Historic Park is located and the most notable battlefield from the war of 1812 in Northwestern Ontario) and baie brule (the southernmost part of the city, location of a park named after Etienne Brule). French was the most spoken language here until the mid-1800s. It's now the eighth most common.

I think Frenchman's Head (a small reserve on Lake of the Woods) was always an English name though.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 4:26 AM

Another legacy of French influence is in the names of the Great Lakes themselves. They are known in English as "Lake x", in place of the standard English convention " x Lake".
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 4:32 AM
I am a typical

Lake Nipigon and Lake St. Clair as well. South of Thunder Bay is a lake called Loch Lomond. I think there are a few other lochs in Canada but it's probably the most well known.

Almost all of our mountains are Mount Something, instead of Something Mountain.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Parry Sound and Muskoka are NOT part of Northern Ontario! (or Northeastern Ontario)

Northerners hate when Southerners group those two districts in with our area.
How about Nipissing? Fully north?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 3:32 AM

Historically central Ontario was "in between" eastern and western Ontario (i.e. the "L" postal code). But today it seems to mainly refer to Cottage Country.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 6:28 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
I draw the line through the middle of it. It's kind of bowtie shaped, and if you cut it in half at its thinnest part, you get the approximate boundary between north and south.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 1:08 AM

Some regions:

Mid-North: Haliburton, Muskoka, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Renfrew

Capital Region: Ottawa, Prescott and Russell

St. Lawrence-Great Waterway: Frontenac, Hastings, Lanark, Leeds and Grenville, Lennox and Addington, Prince Edward, Stormont Dundas and Glengarry

Kawarthas: Kawartha Lakes, Northumberland, Peterborough

South Central: GTA + Dufferin, Simcoe

Niagara Peninsula: Brant, Haldimand-Norfolk, Hamilton, Niagara

Mid-western: Bruce, Grey, Huron, Perth, Waterloo, Wellington

Southwestern: Chatham-Kent, Elgin, Essex, Lambton, Middlesex, Oxford

(Another region could include the Georgian Triangle taking in Bruce, Grey and Simcoe)

Northern Ontario:

Northeastern: Algoma, Cochrane, Greater Sudbury, Manitoulin, Timiskaming

Northwestern: Kenora, Rainy River, Thunder Bay

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 3:48 AM

Quote:
I would say divide it half as well. But we would gladly take all of Algonquin Park if the South can't handle it lol.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You're absolutely right of course. But, you know...
Oh I know what you mean! haha

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I interpret Abitibi-Temiskaming as being a single region, bisected by a provincial border.

In Northwestern Ontario, we don't refer to the region where Thunder Bay and Marathon are located as "the coast", and we often laugh when people call it that. It's the North Shore, and North Shore is a very common name for things up here. (In Wisconsin, they're south of the lake, but refer to their shoreline as "The North Coast"). To us, "Coastal" is the Hudson and James bays.

Northwestern Ontarians have regional names for general areas, they just aren't common to people down south. The area around Kenora is the "Lake of the Woods"; it doesn't just refer to the lake itself, it's the region around the lake. Kenora District north of the Albany River is the Patricia District, a former district of the Keewatin Territory which was added to Ontario in 1912; the term is still used today to refer to that part of Kenora District (often as a hyphenated name—"Kenora-Patricia"—or on it's own: "The Patricia Portion").

Between Thunder Bay and Fort Frances is "Quetico", which includes the town of Atikokan.

From Kakabeka to Algoma, along Lake Superior, it's The North Shore. Northwest of that is Nipigon (and Wabakimi further northwest), due north is Greenstone, northeast is Manitouwadge. North of those three regions is the new Ring of Fire. Sometimes referred to as the Matawa Region as the First Nations there are part of the Matawa Tribal Council of NAN.

Ontario's far north is largely covered by Treaty 9, which is governed by the Nishnawbe Aski Nation (which is Cree for "First Nation Nation Nation", btw ) but also known as The Lowlands or the Far North. That region's northern limit is the Hudson/James Bay Coast.

These aren't widely known terms, but they are used to some extent.

The Ojibwe word for the area around Lake Superior is Gitchigaming (the lake itself is Gitchigama, or some variation of that) and that word is relatively common around here.

Stateside, Duluth is Fond-du-Lac (bottom of the lake); Thunder Bay was Tete-du-Lac or "Lakehead", a common name not just for the city itself but for, generally, the entire Thunder Bay district west of Nipigon Bay; though it is also used in Duluth to some extent. The official North Shore of Lake Superior is from Duluth to Sault Ste. Marie. The south shore is also from Duluth to Sault Ste. Marie, but opposite the north shore. No one refers to any kind of west or east shore as far as I've ever heard, but the terms "Superior West", "Superior North" and "Superior East" are used for political and meteorological purposes.

Part of the Iron Range also extends into Canada. Atikokan to Thunder Bay is generally thought of as the northern edge of that feature.

From Thunder Bay to Nipigon, there are many canyons, so that area is called Canyon Country.

I'm sure other regions of the province have names like this, it's just a matter of making the more well-known and accepted terms more widely recognizable.
I totally agree and can confirm everything you wrote! I am familiar with all of it even though I live in Northeastern Ontario. And Nishnawbe Aski covers my region as well.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 4:55 PM

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 1:22 AM

I tend to agree that Hamilton feels more connected to the Niagara region than to Toronto.

I grew up in Northern Ontario and used to laugh, like everyone else from up there, when people would say Muskoka was "North", but living in the GTA now, I understand it. People really don't understand the difference. Anything north of Barrie for them is North.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 5:38 AM

Most people who live along James Bay refer to Timmins as being in "the South."

Geographically, Timmins is in the Southern half of the province. Look at the Northernmost point on Hudson Bay and the Southernmost point at Middle Island in Lake Erie.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Oh I remember those!!

Such exciting names!! Ontario East!! Wow!!!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Most people who live along James Bay refer to Timmins as being in "the South."

Geographically, Timmins is in the Southern half of the province. Look at the Northernmost point on Hudson Bay and the Southernmost point at Middle Island in Lake Erie.
By literally 1 degree. I understand the sensationalism in saying Timmins is in the southern half, but come on, it's basically at the centre.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 9:33 PM

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Parry Sound district is only a part of Northern Ontario according to the Government of Ontario. Don't tell people where I live that it's part of Northern Ontario!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario