HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 1:57 AM
I am a typical

I think the Beer Store and LCBO would continue to exist as specialty locations. There is no way a Macs could meet the demand of a 10,000sqft LCBO or a Beer Store with a warehouse twice the size of a Macs store itself. Macs would simply be a more convenient way to access cheap, shitty beer.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
As much as I'm in full favour of expanding choice for consumers, I'm curious about how many new jobs would actually be created if alcohol were allowed to be sold at Mac's. Wouldn't there be job losses at the Beer Store and LCBO too as sales drop at those two stores? The jobs argument seems to be a red herring to cover up the real benefit to Mac's (increased sales), and I'd rather see emphasis on consumer choice and supporting locally owned businesses instead of a foreign-owned monopoly.
Yes, the jobs arguments simply makes no sense. In fact, we will likely replace jobs offering a living wage at the LCBO and Beer Store with jobs at minimum or close to minimum wage. The net gain to the economy may end up being a net loss.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 7:30 PM

Sorry, I don't understand how the government could let beer into cornerstone. The Beer Store is already privately owned by the beer companies. Why would the owners be interested in selling beer into a market that would undercut their own stores. Unless, the government would force them to negotiate with the cornerstone, but then again they would not have any financial advantage to do so?

Privatizing LCBO would probably see it purchased by the same companies would not be interested in having to compete against cornerstone. Frankly, who could fault them?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 7:31 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Lift the monopoly. Presto.
Fuck the beer companies. The big ones are not Canadian anyhow.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 2:12 AM
I am a typical

The private monopoly on beer sales is a law, the government could simply amend or remove the law.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 2:33 PM

Latest volley

TORONTO Large convenience store chains will make another pitch today to allow them to sell beer and wine, but Ontario's Liberal government says it is not interested.

The Ontario Convenience Stores Association — which includes Avondale, 7-11 and Mac's as well as Petro-Canada, Imperial Oil and Canadian Tire — wants to sell local wines and craft beers.

Note: a venue for local business (local wines and craft beers), the Big Three will fight this tooth and nail!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainbiking View Post
TORONTO Large convenience store chains will make another pitch today to allow them to sell beer and wine, but Ontario's Liberal government says it is not interested.

The Ontario Convenience Stores Association — which includes Avondale, 7-11 and Mac's as well as Petro-Canada, Imperial Oil and Canadian Tire — wants to sell local wines and craft beers.

Note: a venue for local business (local wines and craft beers), the Big Three will fight this tooth and nail!
If the Liberals even have a hope of surviving the next election, they will end the Beer Store monopoly.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 12:38 AM
National Capital Region

Was at the grocery store grabbing some cheese... some Beau's placed beside their new cheese and some wine displayed near the French cheese. Unfortunately it would be illegal for the store to sell both, as Ontario retailers cannot be trusted to sell legal products to adults (next thing you know they'll want to sell lottery tickets, cigarettes, and firearms), so I had make another trip to the LCBO. Of course if I drove 20 minutes outside city limits it it would be perfectly legal to buy wine and cheese at the same location in an agency store

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 12:14 PM

Small business and local

Growth industry!
Here is some encouraging news from the craft beer business in Nova Scotia.
However here in Ontario, eliminate competition or buy them out.
Craft brewers are not welcome in the Beer Store as it is owned by the Big Three just look at the promotional layouts and which is front and center. Like the stuff at the check-out counters to lure you.

The LCBO sells craft beer but I spoke to a Manager at Garrison (Truly Canadian company) in Halifax and he said it was hard as hell to get his product into the Ontario market. Many small local shops haven't the resources to actively engage the LCBO. So in many states the local places market locally via local stores or markets or from the brewery itself.
Sleeman's is closing the plant in Dartmouth and consolidating in Guelph. So they must be pressure and locals are filling the void.

The Nova Scotia Liquor Corp. reported Friday that sales of craft beer grew by 14 per cent in the second quarter, which ended Sept. 29, compared to the same period last year.

Brian Titus, president of Garrison Brewing Co. in Halifax, says the increase in craft sales at the liquor store isn’t surprising. Due to consumer demand, his company has just expanded operations for the third time in its 16-year history.

Neither Titus nor any of the other craft beer makers I talked to Friday expressed any concern about the decline in beer drinking overall.

While his business is growing, Titus says he expects the craft brew sector to grow too. In just the past two years, he says, five new craft breweries started up in Nova Scotia.

Engage the corner stores. Just enforce the rules. Punish the offenders not the consumer and quit trying to save us from ourselves.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Of course if I drove 20 minutes outside city limits it it would be perfectly legal to buy wine and cheese at the same location in an agency store
Or the rest of the known world.....face it the LCBO and Beer Stores are a cash cow racket for the provincial government. Do you have options to go to QC or NY for these things at better prices?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 11:53 PM
National Capital Region

^ Quebec is great... once in a while I take a trip to La Roi de la Biere or Costco to buy in bulk. Just gonna remember that ON prices include taxes but QC prices do not. Never tried NY, not sure about the duties for a one-day trip - anyone else try?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 11:11 PM

Wine coming to Ontario farmers' markets

Wynne's government is getting really desperate for votes in the face of a byelection outside the GTA. But it is a good idea!

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspa...s_markets.html

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 8:21 PM

1927 Laws

Beer store boss produces questionable report how prices will skyrocket with competition.

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne has said she has no intention of changing the province's current alcohol retail system. Tory Leader Tim Hudak has said he would end the LCBO and Beer Store monopolies and permit the sale of beer, wine and spirits in corner stores and supermarkets.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 7:38 AM

Moving on

Manitoba 1 April 2014

Manitobans will soon have more places to drink alcohol, and businesses will face fewer rules about when and where they can serve.

The NDP government says sweeping changes to liquor regulations first announced last May will take effect April 1.

Alcohol will be allowed at spas or hair salons, and beer and wine will be available in restaurants without ordering a meal.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainbiking View Post
Alcohol will be allowed at spas or hair salons, and beer and wine will be available in restaurants without ordering a meal.
What?! Are you saying that currently in Manitoba, you can't go out and buy a beer at a bar?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 1:06 AM
I am a typical

I think they have some sort of law that requires bars to be located in hotels and serve hot food as a condition of getting a liquor licence.

They might also have a law that prevents a customer from ordering just alcoholic beverages at licensed eateries?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 10:45 PM
National Capital Region

http://www.thestar.com/business/2014...ermarkets.html

LCBO kiosks coming inside 10 grocery stores by the end of the year. The stores will be staffed by LCBO employees and operate at LCBO hours (not the hours of the grocery stores)

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 12:32 AM
I am a typical

So, basically, its WineRack+?

They should just adopt the vendor model of Northern Ontario. Not 100% foolproof (a recent vendor east of Thunder Bay lost their licence after getting caught selling alcohol to someone they shouldn't have) but the customers are served a little better.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 9:06 AM

Waste of time?

So Now they have commercial with a curling champion singing the benefits of the Beer Store. Absolute BULL!!!! Propaganda to save a very profitable monopoly, plain and simple.
In the province of Ontario over the next 3 years they are going to open kiosk or mini LCBOs in 10 yes 10 WOW!!!!!!! To gauge the affect or study the outcome.
Why don't they just bag their asses down to Nova Scotia and check out an already similar operation. I buy my beer at the Sobeys on Herring Cove Rd in Spryfield.
Or venture out of Toronto and check an agency store in Mildmay at Stewarts on the way to Sauble. I always stop there. Two stores side by side in the same strip mall. Probably same owner.
My perspective is the LCBO is top heavy and this bleeds the overall profit margin. Also factor in new construction, maintenance, upkeep and rent in some cases. Not to mention wages. So just curious how much true profit on a $30 26er. There is product profit and taxes. The operational costs dwindle the profit as well as layers of provincial corporate administration.
So let the private stores have the profit, the province will lose the headache and cost of all the cling-ons, charge a provincial licence fee $$$$$ AKA profit or revenue and make the money still on the taxes.
As a side bar open up independent bootle and can depots and let them take care of the empties so stares can be smaller. Also accept bottle drives and cans, for Scouts, Sports teams. So they don't have to go to the beer store. and clog up the line.
Treat the voter like Adults, Smart enough to pay taxes but Mommy don't trust us around booze and smokes.
Stores sell smoke and lottery tickets just fine . And any absolutely any infraction can that store immediately, hell you got enough inspectors or use the municipalities who have undercover smoke enforcement.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 5:43 AM
National Capital Region

think of the children

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario