HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

West Energy Tower at City Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Midland Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 5:26 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I think it is a terrible proposal. Trophy buildings in relatively small downtowns tend to get all of the best tenants and retail, at the expense of the rest of the downtown. Cities have tried promoting such development but they have generally not been successful in reviving most downtowns. Instead, the rest of the downtown area languishes at the expense of the new area. Renaissance Center in Detroit is one example of a failure, but so was the original World Trade Center in NYC.
It might give a catalyst which may spur development. If developers see this as a good investment,and if once built its successful, other developers may be willing to pour more into downtown or the neighborhood.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 6:51 AM

Great building, too small of a community. IMO.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 3:32 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Going to defintly become the focal point. And yes for a community that small some may be suprised when it goes up and it will because all of Texas is booming.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22207801@N00/2293370750/ , OK Photos, 2008

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 8:51 PM
Ex Houstonian

This is the most random unexpected thing I've ever heard of. I had to go out to slowdeatha one time when I worked for Halliburton, wasn't too impressed. Never made it to downtown midland though. Anyways, I really hope this tower gets built.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 11:00 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Midland is the fastest growing metro in America, at least percentage wise. It's still a darn tall tower for such a small city but that's quickly changing. I say if there's demand, build it!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 11:16 PM

did it get a height reduction?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 2:58 AM

Pretty sure the height has been 869 feet all along, which is awesome. The Devon tower in OKC isn't even that tall and look at how it stands out.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 4:02 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
I think it is a terrible proposal. Trophy buildings in relatively small downtowns tend to get all of the best tenants and retail, at the expense of the rest of the downtown. Cities have tried promoting such development but they have generally not been successful in reviving most downtowns. Instead, the rest of the downtown area languishes at the expense of the new area. Renaissance Center in Detroit is one example of a failure, but so was the original World Trade Center in NYC.
I tend to agree. There is need for space, the town is booming at gold rush proportions, but I'd much rather see a proportioned overall development rather than a tower that will be out of place.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 6:22 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
This is the most random unexpected thing I've ever heard of. I had to go out to slowdeatha one time when I worked for Halliburton, wasn't too impressed. Never made it to downtown midland though. Anyways, I really hope this tower gets built.
nice, I had to think about that one for a minute..

I almost feel like if any small(er) city was going to be blessed with a giant, gleaming new skyscraper, Midland should be it...simply for the fact that it's already nicknamed "The Tall City" for having significantly taller buildings (relatively speaking) compared to the surrounding region.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 1:12 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Energy Tower at City Center

Energy Tower at City Center Video Clip: Shows Tower, rendering in 3D of the park, tower, ect.). The construction of it.And theres a sky bar too!

Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0CvlRUILc4, ENERGYTOWER, Crissy Nolen, 2013

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 12:41 AM
Borneo Expat

I'm happy for Midland. I think this is a great looking tower.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 2:14 AM
FriskyDingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacarlson View Post
I'm happy for Midland. I think this is a great looking tower.
Aye! Go Midland! They are a growing town, so build your tower and bring new businesses and jobs and happy families. What is wrong with that? Texas has been doing something right lately.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 6:20 AM
Everywhere all at once

So good. This is the start of America's next iconic skyline, adding to our already incalculable roster.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Legitimate concern, but false equivalency. Detroit has only continued to decline as a whole after Renaissance Center was built, so its not really comparable. That's not to say downtown Detroit isn't better off now than 15 years ago, its certainly is and a renovated renaissance center has been part of it.

Let's look at the present situation in Midland:
-Office vacancy is below 2% (as reported by Bloomberg News)

-All of the existing office buildings are dated, which means serious upgrades and $$ needs to go into existing building stock to upgrade office space or even maintain Class A or B standards. You can view this through a quick tour on google streetview.

-Local reports have mentioned that buildings that have sat empty since the last oil boom and bust have either been previously demolished or renovated and put back into use.

-Midland is one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country because of the Permian Basin oil boom, thanks for fraking opening up extraction from shale formations. This boom is only expected to increase production in the next few years.

-New office space is being built in Midland on a greenfield site, in typical, large campus-style suburban form

All of this would indicate that this project is very viable; and I am personally rooting for them to make it a reality. I wish that a successful project of this magnitude can prove to other mid-size cities that major downtown investment is possible and profitable. Except for the truly destitute cities and metro areas, there are major real estate investments occurring everywhere, most of which is in sprawl form.

I greatly encourage concentrating such investment back into city centers and if it the numbers pan out for 58 story building, then why not do it? Asia and the middle east are doing it in cities 90% of Americans have never even heard of. I am a little baffled that so many people on the forum don't have a favorable opinion of this project while still criticizing suburban sprawl, decrying poorly executed post modern architecture and lamenting decentralization of our cities. C'mon guys, this is right up our alley. We may all have our opinions, and mine will leave me to be a cheerleader for this project. Not just for Midland, but for Midland to prove to other cities you can attract a project like this into a existing downtown; yes I know that oil regions are a special condition, but prove its possible, then figure out how to make numbers work elsewhere with what demand may exist.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 10:03 PM
JACKinBeantown

They should just make it 1,003 feet so it becomes the tallest building in Texas. It's completely out of place in the middle of the desert anyway.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
They should just make it 1,003 feet so it becomes the tallest building in Texas. It's completely out of place in the middle of the desert anyway.
So what? Have you even been to Midland? It's a rather nice, modern, affluent city overall (every city has it's bad parts, of course), and they deserve this kind of thing for their extremely hard work, innovation, and civic pride. Who are you to say they don't??

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
So what? Have you even been to Midland? It's a rather nice, modern, affluent city overall (every city has it's bad parts, of course), and they deserve this kind of thing for their extremely hard work, innovation, and civic pride. Who are you to say they don't??
That can't possibly be. We North-Eastern urbanites decided long ago what a city should be; vibrant, walkable, sustainable, diverse, (inject whatever nebulous or feel-good adjectives you prefer). It should also not be in Texas.

Seriously, though, this tower is a beauty. If what Shawn said is true, it could become a model for mid-sized cities attracting business from larger cities that may have a reputation for corruption, being low in human capital, poor infrastructure, red tape, etc.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 2:00 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
I lived in Texas for 19 years. I've been through Midland. I assume you weren't assuming anything about who I am. And I never said anything about the good people of Midland... only the skyline. It WILL look like a bid middle finger sticking up. They could call it the Midland Middle Finger.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I lived in Texas for 19 years. I've been through Midland. I assume you weren't assuming anything about who I am. And I never said anything about the good people of Midland... only the skyline. It WILL look like a bid middle finger sticking up. They could call it the Midland Middle Finger.
Presumably pointed at the northeast (just kidding, of course).

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Energy Tower at City Center Video Clip: Shows Tower, rendering in 3D of the park, tower, ect.). The construction of it.And theres a sky bar too!

Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0CvlRUILc4, ENERGYTOWER, Crissy Nolen, 2013
I like the idea of this. . . looks like an amazing building. . . hope they build it. . .

. . .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects