HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 7:18 PM

2020 census and Coronavirus in NYC

What can be the Coronavirus impact on the 2020 census, above all in NYC?

https://ny.curbed.com/2019/12/4/2099...museum-exhibit

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 8:12 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

well the city is woefully undercounted in the best of times, so it wont help. obviously no one is going to be knocking on the door and who knows who is even doing the behind the scenes data gathering work as of now.

otoh there is a lot of free wifi available due to the corona and it only takes a few moments to complete online, and of course people are stuck at home bored, so that may make a bit of a positive dent in the process.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 11:59 PM

What does mean that in 2010 the citywide response rate to questionnaires was just 61.9 percent? Does mean it that the real number of the inhabitants of NYC in 2010 was 13,2 million?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 2:42 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchester united View Post
What does mean that in 2010 the citywide response rate to questionnaires was just 61.9 percent? Does mean it that the real number of the inhabitants of NYC in 2010 was 13,2 million?
no thats percentage of cumbersome questionnaires that were returned. now we have the very much simplified online version. in addition, they use other methods to count and gather data, like select home visits where they ask you more in depth questions. thats probably off the table this year. or who knows?

i would guess nyc probably has around 250k or more invisible under or undocumented added to the 8.4M or whatever the current stated population or estimate is. they would never respond. also, despite pretty decent advertising even many citizens dont respond and thats bad enough. so ny has been and will always be undercounted.

edit: i found out that the 2020 expected response rate for nyc is 58%, which is lower than 10yrs ago.

we’ll see, but with corona its absolutely definitely going to be a problem like everything else.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 1:11 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Trump says he will ask for a delay to the 2020 Census

Quote:
President Donald Trump said Monday that he will ask for a delay to the 2020 Census to make sure it is completed safely and accurately.

"During this difficult time we're also working to ensure that the 2020 Census is completed safely and accurately. We may be asking for an extension because, obviously, they can't be doing very much right now. They wouldn't even be allowed to do it. So the Census, we are going to be asking for a delay, a major delay," Trump said.

The late revisions to the Census data collection timeline mean officials need more time to compile the data that is used to apportion members of Congress among the states, as well as the data that states use to draw congressional districts. Federal law requires some of that data be compiled before the end of this year.

Trump said that the Census Bureau will ask Congress for a 120-day extension, which he feels is not long enough.

"In addition, as millions of Americans continue to complete their questionnaire online, the Census Bureau asked Congress for a 120-day extension. I don't know if you even have to ask them. This is called an act of God. This is called a situation that has to be -- they have to give it and I think 120 days isn't nearly enough," Trump said.

House Oversight and Reform Committee Chair Carolyn Maloney, a New York Democrat, said in a statement that Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross announced the plans during a conference call with lawmakers.

The Commerce Department acknowledged the timeline changes and said in a statement it is "seeking statutory relief from Congress of 120 additional calendar days to deliver final apportionment counts."
======================
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/13/polit...rus/index.html

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 2:38 PM
TL;DR

Interesting, I wonder what is the evil plan here? An extension actually seems like the logical, responsible thing to do... how very un-Trumpian.

The Census is non-partisan, but it could benefit the Republicans by shifting Congressional seats to growing Red states like Texas and North Carolina... once allocated, the gerrmandering teams in those states will make sure they go to Republicans. Plus, doing the Census during the pandemic would exacerbate the undercounting problem in Democratic urban areas, which is also to the Republicans' benefit.

So, why the delay?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Interesting, I wonder what is the evil plan here? An extension actually seems like the logical, responsible thing to do... how very un-Trumpian.

The Census is non-partisan, but it could benefit the Republicans by shifting Congressional seats to growing Red states like Texas and North Carolina... once allocated, the gerrmandering teams in those states will make sure they go to Republicans. Plus, doing the Census during the pandemic would exacerbate the undercounting problem in Democratic urban areas, which is also to the Republicans' benefit.

So, why the delay?
I was wondering the same thing... maybe some governors requested an extension to ensure an accurate count in their states? I can see Texas for example benefiting from an accurate count.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

So, why the delay?
Ha, I thought had the exact same initial thought.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 12:22 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Hopefully it gives enough time to accurate count NYC. The city is always under counted.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions