HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
my last name is New York City.
It'd be funny if someone had a last name of York and claimed NYC or even York England.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 8:35 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Yeah, there is a tiny one-block-long street in tiny La Junta, Colorado named after my family. It's unpaved and the only thing on it is a trailer welding shop. But there's a street sign!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 9:03 PM

Lashbrook Road outside Port Huron, Michigan is named for my paternal grandma's family. It's only about a mile long and has nothing but trees on it. It ran alongside their farm.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 10:49 PM

caldwell idaho is 4 hours and 40 minutes away. kinda funny because my family came here on the oregon trail. its not named after my family. i guess it could be, i doubt it.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 10:57 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

There are two streets, a point, and a cove named after my Father's family (I believe it was my great-great-great grandfather who settled there, but not sure. I always thought my great grandfather was first but it recently came up and Dad said he was definitely born here, and probably his father too).

There is a field unofficially named after my mother's family, and three streets along the Southern Shore where they lived until my grandmother's generation moved to the city. One of Memorial University's residence buildings is named after a relative of my maternal grandmother (though not one that would've ever talked to her lol).

In both cases, other branches of the family (i.e. my great uncle's descendants) have things named after them in their hometowns on the island. Same names but I don't think that really counts as the same family?

None of this is unusual here. Most families here have things named after them in the areas where they first settled. In the capital, the norm is for street names to reference former Governors, leaders, etc. But everywhere else, most streets were named after the family that lived at the end of it.

For example, zero points for guessing where the Legges, Crockers, Chisletts, Holletts, Barters, and Dodges settled - and zero points for guessing which families had more than a dozen kids, and which only had a couple lol:

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 11:05 PM
E pluribus unum

Huh, there's a street in Santa Fe, NM with my last name in addition to a couple of roads in the middles of nowhere in Pennsylvania and New York. Probably no connection to my family whatsoever, since none of us have ties in any of those states.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 2:51 AM

Well, there's Mitchell, South Dakota. Just kidding though I suppose there has to be something in far eastern rural North Carolina named for my family. There aren't really many towns and just some counties where my paternal side is from. Meanwhile, I'm within walking distance of streets named for maternal family members (literally for them, not a coincidental share). And I used to drive down Wyatt Chapel Rd., also not a coincidence, in college.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 10:02 AM

No but there’s a county in Arkansas founded and named after my family -Sharp County.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 1:22 PM
Pay it Forward

Lambertville, NJ

FitzRandolph Gate, Princeton University

My mom's side. She's Polynesian btw, but one of her ancestors was a Brit of Scottish descent who arrived at Plymouth colony in the 1630s. Generations later, one of his descendents left NJ and found his way to the South Pacific.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 6:32 PM
Back on the road again

My guy has a town in Alabama with his last name, settled by his ancestors centuries ago...the rest of his family lives on a road named after them and the local cemetary is named after them. There's a town in Southern California past San Bernardino headed up towards the high desert with my last name, named after my ancestors who settled there several generations ago.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions