HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 8:45 PM
Doady's Avatar
Doady Doady is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,549
Mississauga: The 24-Hour City

Some photos celebrate the introduction of 24-hour bus service in Mississauga (April 29, 2019). Some photos in my neighbourhood, but also some further away to take advantage of the new bus service (I don't have a driver's license).

Photos were taken on July 30/31, August 8, and August 12/13, 2019.



River Run Shopping Centre I



River Run Shopping Centre II



River Run Shopping Centre III



1474 Pickwick Plaza I



1474 Pickwick Plaza II



Credit Valley Town Plaza



1201 Britannia Road West



Home Hardware



Streetsville Plaza I



Streetsville Plaza II



Portuguese Cultural Centre of Mississauga I



Portuguese Cultural Centre of Mississauga II



The Beer Store I



The Beer Store II



Staples/Starsky



Picture & Frame Trade Centre



Halenda's



South Creek Donuts & Subs



Southcreek Road



Dundas Carpet/Halenda's



2200 Dundas Street East I



2200 Dundas Street East II



Krazzy Gyro



Belle



Saint Mina and Saint Kyrillos



Mississauga Plaza



1225 Dundas Street East
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 8:58 PM
mrnyc mrnyc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,188
ooh a night thread.

excellent.

elegiac.

so i think maybe play the great darkness on the edge of town album for this great thread.

You're born with nothing
And better off that way
Soon as you've got something they send
Someone to try and take it away

You can ride this road 'til dawn
Without another human being in sight
Yeah, just kids wasted on
Oh, something in the night

- bruce springsteen, 1978
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 3:15 PM
dc_denizen's Avatar
dc_denizen dc_denizen is offline
Selfie-stick vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New York Suburbs
Posts: 7,192
here you go

Video Link
__________________
Joined the bus on the 33rd seat
By the doo-doo room with the reek replete
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 5:00 AM
Doady's Avatar
Doady Doady is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,549
First time I have heard Bruce Springsteen, but I've heard of him before because he is a fan of Suicide. Only other artist I've heard from this genre is Tom Petty. I suppose I should check of Bruce Springsteen as well. Not a bad song.

If I had an artist in mind when I was doing this photos, it was probably Joy Division. Maybe "Shadowplay", even if it is about "the centre of the city". I think no album from start to finish captures the feeling of a desolate city at night as well as Unknown Pleasures does. Mississauga is already lonely enough, so I can only imagine what Manchester is like.

Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 6:27 AM
Murphy de la Sucre's Avatar
Murphy de la Sucre Murphy de la Sucre is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Antwerp
Posts: 693
Am I bored enough or just for everybody's curiosity, your join date was someday in 2004 and 16 years later comes to 2020, right?

I understand this forum ain't require fans must be 18 above or something to register but I strongly assume this website ain't that much of attraction to toddlers or kindergarten students, right?

So let's decide the youngest registrant was at age of 10, plus 16 years later, you are at least 26 year-old without a DL.
__________________
Every morning is a precious extra ... or just being more pathetic
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 6:32 AM
Murphy de la Sucre's Avatar
Murphy de la Sucre Murphy de la Sucre is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Antwerp
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
First time I have heard Bruce Springsteen, but I've heard of him before because he is a fan of Suicide. Only other artist I've heard from this genre is Tom Petty. I suppose I should check of Bruce Springsteen as well. Not a bad song.

If I had an artist in mind when I was doing this photos, it was probably Joy Division. Maybe "Shadowplay", even if it is about "the centre of the city". I think no album from start to finish captures the feeling of a desolate city at night as well as Unknown Pleasures does. Mississauga is already lonely enough, so I can only imagine what Manchester is like.

Video Link
What? what? Bruce Springsteen is suicidal I never knew that since I am a fan, well not that big but still a fan.

If BrSptn is suicidal, you should check Sopor Aeternus from Germany.
__________________
Every morning is a precious extra ... or just being more pathetic
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 4:52 PM
mrnyc mrnyc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
What? what? Bruce Springsteen is suicidal I never knew that since I am a fan, well not that big but still a fan.

If BrSptn is suicidal, you should check Sopor Aeternus from Germany.
haha!

so for doady -- yes, the story is the old boss was in the same studio when suicide was making albums and became friends with them. bruce went berzerk over suicide's dream, baby dream song in particular, as anyone would, its uniquely haunting, and many years later he even sang that song to close his own shows on a solo tour.

but anyways -- aside from the darkness on the edge of town album that came to my mind first, i most certainly do think joy division is equally fitting music for this thread for sure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 8:04 PM
xzmattzx's Avatar
xzmattzx xzmattzx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 5,330
What time of night were these pictures taken?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 3:15 AM
Doady's Avatar
Doady Doady is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
Am I bored enough or just for everybody's curiosity, your join date was someday in 2004 and 16 years later comes to 2020, right?

I understand this forum ain't require fans must be 18 above or something to register but I strongly assume this website ain't that much of attraction to toddlers or kindergarten students, right?

So let's decide the youngest registrant was at age of 10, plus 16 years later, you are at least 26 year-old without a DL.
Well I have one now, I've started driving, because I've been getting bored photographing the city, I would like to start photographing outside of the city. So maybe don't expect too much more new threads from me here, which maybe will make some people happy.

But yeah in addition to Bruce Springsteen I will also have to check out Sopor Aeternus one day. I'm always looking out for more gothic rock or darkwave or whatever you want to call it music. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
What time of night were these pictures taken?
Mostly 12am to 2am. Earliest photo was taken at 11:30pm (Staples/Starsky) and latest was 3:07am (last photo). I always set my camera to EST, so the range of photos is 12:30am to 4:07am by EDT standard.

Ah, so maybe the dates I posted for the photos are "incorrect." No photos from July 30 or August 12 by EDT standard.

I was confused because I didn't remember photographing anything before midnight. So it's just the stupid Daylight Savings Time thing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 4:59 PM
mrnyc mrnyc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Well I have one now, I've started driving, because I've been getting bored photographing the city, I would like to start photographing outside of the city. So maybe don't expect too much more new threads from me here, which maybe will make some people happy.

But yeah in addition to Bruce Springsteen I will also have to check out Sopor Aeternus one day. I'm always looking out for more gothic rock or darkwave or whatever you want to call it music. Thanks for the suggestion.



Mostly 12am to 2am. Earliest photo was taken at 11:30pm (Staples/Starsky) and latest was 3:07am (last photo). I always set my camera to EST, so the range of photos is 12:30am to 4:07am by EDT standard.

Ah, so maybe the dates I posted for the photos are "incorrect." No photos from July 30 or August 12 by EDT standard.

I was confused because I didn't remember photographing anything before midnight. So it's just the stupid Daylight Savings Time thing.


if that is your taste then this is the classic 2007 album you want for night driving.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/e...t-to-be-solved

https://pitchfork.com/features/artic...entury-so-far/

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 4:52 AM
geomorph's Avatar
geomorph geomorph is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Newport Beach
Posts: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post



South Creek Donuts & Subs

I like this one best, it looks closed but so bright that it might be open?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 6:09 AM
Doady's Avatar
Doady Doady is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
if that is your taste then this is the classic 2007 album you want for night driving.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/e...t-to-be-solved

https://pitchfork.com/features/artic...entury-so-far/

I've heard a lot about that album, I will have to listen to it and the self-titled soon, thanks for reminding me. I started listening to EDM a couple years ago and I always listen to it at night for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
I like this one best, it looks closed but so bright that it might be open?
You can see they have pulled the barriers over the windows and doors so they are closed.

You can see some other businesses in the pictures left their lights on even though they are not open. I'm not sure why.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:19 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.