HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
The Dutch "Canadian" couple who flipped their Manitoulin Island homestead, had previously sold a large dairy farm for $$$, and moved to Russia are smart business owners influenced by their countrymen, who've been buying Eastern European farmland by the millions of acres every year since 1992. I suspect they think Canadian real estate prices will correct further, so in 5 years they'll be back in Canada.

9% interest rates are coming by 2030.
Back in Canada with what capital?

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 1:47 PM
recession proof

All the money they'll make from chicken farming, growing wheat etc. One video I watched has their family touring a huge chicken barn and while talking about chicken shit he says with a straight face it's "the smell of money." One interesting thing is Russian farmers follow European rules, and thus are much more eco-friendly than in Canada. It was Dutch and Mennonite farmers who started the organic food industry in Canada, and the push for huge factory farms, robotics etc. They're a big part of the TFW program, bringing in laborers from Central and South America. eg Why did Mexican food suddenly take off in Canada?

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 2:01 PM

Quote:
The Dutch "Canadian" couple who flipped their Manitoulin Island homestead, had previously sold a large dairy farm for $$$, and moved to Russia are smart business owners influenced by their countrymen, who've been buying Eastern European farmland by the millions of acres every year since 1992. I suspect they think Canadian real estate prices will correct further, so in 5 years they'll be back in Canada.

Never has there been a better name than Urbandreamer for such a prediction.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It seems a bit like a one-sided cold war where China's been doing this for a long time while Canada doesn't take it seriously.

Is there any parallel in human history for what's happened in China with their economy leap-frogging forward because of Western resources and IP theft while their government has remained largely antagonistic? There are other fast-growing Asian economies with good trade relationships with Western countries but they're friendly toward the West. Conversely other bad actors like Russia or Iran are pariahs.
It boggles the mind, and it is by no means finished. At this point it’s hard to imagine what an end point or resolution that favours Canada would even look like.

Stay tuned, folks, we may be in for a bumpy ride.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 2:22 PM

Quote:
All the money they'll make from chicken farming, growing wheat etc. One video I watched has their family touring a huge chicken barn and while talking about chicken shit he says with a straight face it's "the smell of money." One interesting thing is Russian farmers follow European rules, and thus are much more eco-friendly than in Canada. It was Dutch and Mennonite farmers who started the organic food industry in Canada, and the push for huge factory farms, robotics etc. They're a big part of the TFW program, bringing in laborers from Central and South America. eg Why did Mexican food suddenly take off in Canada?
Did you notice the state of the barns and fields and villages they were touring? Does it look like farmers in the area are making big bucks selling chickens?

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Did you notice the state of the barns and fields and villages they were touring? Does it look like farmers in the area are making big bucks selling chickens?
Ha!

Me: "I trained this chicken to talk."
Her: "Let's hear then..."
Me: "What's a male deer called?"
Chicken: "buck!"
Me: "How much is 200 pennies worth?"
Chicken: "Buck buck!"
Her: "This is stupid."
Chicken: "It gets WAY better, Susan..."

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 3:09 PM

Quote:

Thanks again for this mindless babble.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Shocking.

My only reference is I got to visit a modern Canadian chicken farm a few years ago in Canada. Access to visitors is tightly controlled to avoid bio-contamination. In Canada it is all about keeping it clean and avoid contamination. The farm I visited have a few million in automation to collect eggs and bring them out of the barn into a processing area. Even then the Canadian farm was highly dependent on temporary foreign farm works to make the economics work.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 5:14 AM

Quote:
I still believe you are a paid pro-Russian shill

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 8:01 AM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
I still believe you are a paid pro-Russian shill
Tiktok is obvious, as is X. Instagram and FB can do more than you think. You can't overlook Reddit.

But only the most sophisticated and granular operations – and we know that this is what's going on because no individual, however misguided or strange, could conceivably hold these views – would think to place agents at skyscraperpage.com.

We are through the looking glass here.

Democracy dies in darkness.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It seems a bit like a one-sided cold war where China's been doing this for a long time while Canada doesn't take it seriously.

Is there any parallel in human history for what's happened in China with their economy leap-frogging forward because of Western resources and IP theft while their government has remained largely antagonistic? There are other fast-growing Asian economies with good trade relationships with Western countries but they're friendly toward the West. Conversely other bad actors like Russia or Iran are pariahs.
What's insane is that the West collectively seems to be just ceding the ground to authoritarians and not understanding the chain of events here. Like how ceding Ukraine to Russia emboldens China. I can understand not engaging Iran to help Israel. But abandoning Ukraine is just foolish.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Tiktok is obvious, as is X. Instagram and FB can do more than you think. You can't overlook Reddit.

But only the most sophisticated and granular operations – and we know that this is what's going on because no individual, however misguided or strange, could conceivably hold these views – would think to place agents at skyscraperpage.com.

We are through the looking glass here.

Democracy dies in darkness.
A nice touch that adds a lot of subtlety is making sure their agents created their forum accounts 17+ years ahead of the time when they're scheduled to start using those accounts for real

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Shocking.

My only reference is I got to visit a modern Canadian chicken farm a few years ago in Canada. Access to visitors is tightly controlled to avoid bio-contamination. In Canada it is all about keeping it clean and avoid contamination. The farm I visited have a few million in automation to collect eggs and bring them out of the barn into a processing area. Even then the Canadian farm was highly dependent on temporary foreign farm works to make the economics work.
This is not actually a good thing, really. (Well, it's economically efficient, I'll grant it that). The reason why egg farms here to be so strict about biosecurity is because they cram chickens into extremely dense conditions where diseases spread like wildfire.

This is ultimately why in North America, we have to keep our eggs in the fridge and we can't them raw, whereas in Europe they keep eggs in the pantry for months and can eat them with barely any cooking. Standards of care in the poultry industry in this continent are atrocious.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 2:36 PM
recession proof

If I were paid by any government, I wouldn't be living in a shitty apartment building filled with Russian, Serbian and increasingly, Ukrainian, Syrian and Palestinian immigrants/refugees. I'd probably have a comfortable home in Thornhill or King City, where most of the Russian mob lives.

The point I'm making about this Dutch family: Canada has always attracted mentally ill religious minorities, who probably make up 50% of today's population. Scary!

Both Russia and Ukraine, aside from their large cities are desolate shitholes. The same types of religious agrarian minorities the Czar brought in 300 years ago are the ones returning to Russia and Ukraine; very few have any intention of integration into Russian society.

How long have Mennonites lived in NA?

Last edited by urbandreamer; May 2, 2024 at 2:47 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
This is not actually a good thing, really. (Well, it's economically efficient, I'll grant it that). The reason why egg farms here to be so strict about biosecurity is because they cram chickens into extremely dense conditions where diseases spread like wildfire.

This is ultimately why in North America, we have to keep our eggs in the fridge and we can't them raw, whereas in Europe they keep eggs in the pantry for months and can eat them with barely any cooking. Standards of care in the poultry industry in this continent are atrocious.
We have to keep eggs in the fridge because we wash eggs, which removes the natural protection on the egg. Eggs that aren’t refrigerated need to be sold dirty, including from faeces.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 2:44 PM

Quote:
If I were paid by any government, I wouldn't be living in a shitty apartment building filled with Russian, Serbian and increasingly, Syrian and Palestinian immigrants/refugees. I'd probably have a comfortable home in Thornhill or King City, where most of the Russian mob lives.

The point I'm making about this Dutch family: Canada has always attracted mentally ill religious minorities, who probably make up 50% of today's population. Scary!

Both Russia and Ukraine, aside from their large cities are dissolute shitholes. The same types of religious agrarian minorities the Czar brought in 300 years ago are the ones returning to Russia and Ukraine; very few have any intention of integration into Russian society.

You said they were going to make lots of money selling chickens and then return to Canada to buy land.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 2:46 PM
recession proof

Possibly. Or maybe just move back to Holland?

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Possibly. Or maybe just move back to Holland?
Ok, what is your basis for thinking they are going to make lots of money in the chicken business while farmers in the area are clearly not making much money.

Mennonite farms are sometimes successful where the English fail because they are 1) exempt from taxes 2) stay out of debt and 3) rely on the community for support.

These individuals appear to not have the benefit of any of those things, although with interest rates in Russia at 16% they will probably not want to borrow.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 2:55 PM

Quote:
We have to keep eggs in the fridge because we wash eggs, which removes the natural protection on the egg. Eggs that aren’t refrigerated need to be sold dirty, including from faeces.
We wash them because the eggs themselves are far more likely to be contaminated with salmonella or other bacterial pathogens due to the very poor standards of care. We cram chickens in very tight quarters (disease circulation), do not give them proper nesting spaces & diet (which prevents poop on eggs) to save space & money, and we do not vaccinate egg laying hens against salmonella (which is mandatory in most countries) to save on costs.

It's part of a pattern where in North America we have low standards of quality on agriculture and agri-food industries and defer the safety responsibilities to the consumer to save money; whereas in Europe it's seen as the opposite. Another example - In Germany you can eat ground pork meat raw (which is culturally popular there) because the standards at abattoirs and packing plants are much more sanitary.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Since about 1865. My mom's family came to Manitoba's Red River Valley from southern Ukraine around 1870. They farmed just north of Winkler until the 1950 flood when they moved to Rivers (north of Brandon) and left the Mennonite faith and joined the United Church of Canada.

There are several types of Mennonites

Mennonite faith - regular church goers, completely integrated in society. Modern farmers and business people

Old Order Mennonites - More devout, family units, men and women more uniform in their dress. Modern Famers

Hutterites - Live in colonies, very large and modern farmers but are not socially integrated with secular society

Amish - Shun modern conveniences and only use engines to power stationary equipment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada