HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 2:59 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
Regardless of the age, they can all be "sassholes"
This is very true.

Had a nice evening doing reading stuff and playing junior Monopoly with the six-year old last night though.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 3:12 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post

At least the new blackout curtains allowed the baby to sleep an hour and half today on his own which is a record and worth every penny.

One of my favourite days this summer was when I decided to hang blackout curtains because the baby wasn't sleeping well (summer in Stockholm sees it get dark after midnight, and light by 3:30).

So I'm up there on the ladder on 90 minutes of sleep, but I get it done. And when I draw them to test their blackout qualities... the whole rod pulls out of the (unpredictable, circa 1894) wall, leaving fist-sized holes that preclude the reinstallation of anything.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
One of my favourite days this summer was when I decided to hang blackout curtains because the baby wasn't sleeping well (summer in Stockholm sees it get dark after midnight, and light by 3:30).

So I'm up there on the ladder on 90 minutes of sleep, but I get it done. And when I draw them to test their blackout qualities... the whole rod pulls out of the (unpredictable, circa 1894) wall, leaving fist-sized holes that preclude the reinstallation of anything.

Oh man. That type of outcome is why I hate mounting anything to walls. My mother in law once asked me to install a floating shelf mounted to the wall above her headboard and I refused, it was the stuff of nightmares to me.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 4:22 PM
arf

Quote:

This sounds incredibly familiar. I share your pain.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 4:24 PM

Oh man. Yeah, the toddler being a terror and the little one crying while trying to do something is a familiar thing in my house right now too.

So hard to get anything done at times for sure.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 4:38 PM
Fake News

Quote:

Oof! Ok that beats me realizing the curtain rod set I bought wouldn’t work after doing the pilot holes and having to return them and go search for new ones with an unruly toddler. Fist size holes? Were they old plaster walls? What did you end up doing?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 4:39 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
Regardless of the age, they can all be "sassholes"
I’ll have to remember that one!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 4:41 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Oh man. Yeah, the toddler being a terror and the little one crying while trying to do something is a familiar thing in my house right now too.

Same with dinner. I constantly feel like I’m competing in some Gameshow challenge or stuck in some Jigsaw puzzle trap where my toddler says to me:

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 4:42 PM
Fake News

Started sketchbooks for each boy when they were born. Here’s my youngest at 3 mths old:

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 4:50 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Oof! Ok that beats me realizing the curtain rod set I bought wouldn’t work after doing the pilot holes and having to return them and go search for new ones with an unruly toddler. Fist size holes? Were they old plaster walls? What did you end up doing?

Yeah, they're a really unpredictable mixture of plaster, brick, gaping open spaces and near-impenetrable wire mesh.

I patched the holes and then used a really long, narrow brick drill bit to drill new holes into what is likely the street-facing brick exterior wall (which is covered by a layer of stucco that I thankfully didn't breach). Hung them from those and so far, so good.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 10:30 PM

How about some of those wonderful gifts that our kids give us. No, I'm not talking about neckties.

My daughter got some nasty-ass bug at school which she spread to me and my wife. This one is not covid (I've been testing) but it feels like it.

Speaking of covid, earlier this year my daughter got covid at a day camp which I ended up catching from her...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 10:51 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
How about some of those wonderful gifts that our kids give us. No, I'm not talking about neckties.

My daughter got some nasty-ass bug at school which she spread to me and my wife. This one is not covid (I've been testing) but it feels like it.

Speaking of covid, earlier this year my daughter got covid at a day camp which I ended up catching from her...
We were going to put my 3 year old in pre-school, even had him registered and paid the deposit, but due to multiple factors (including rampant flu and RSV) had to back out. Now we're out a few hundred dollars but our toddler won't be infecting our newborn and the rest of the family with every virus known to man before he's 6 mths old. My wife's friend whose 4 year old is in preschool has been sick constantly and the preschool even closed due to 9 kids having covid and a bunch more having the flu. It's so bad that schools aren't even operating on a full time basis it seems.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 11:32 PM

Quote:
We were going to put my 3 year old in pre-school, even had him registered and paid the deposit, but due to multiple factors (including rampant flu and RSV) had to back out. Now we're out a few hundred dollars but our toddler won't be infecting our newborn and the rest of the family with every virus known to man before he's 6 mths old. My wife's friend whose 4 year old is in preschool has been sick constantly and the preschool even closed due to 9 kids having covid and a bunch more having the flu. It's so bad that schools aren't even operating on a full time basis it seems.
Protecting the newborn (ish) is a good idea, but I can tell you from the experience of others, if you keep your kids out of all daycare/preschool type activities, they will get constantly sick during their first year of public school. All of the other kids will have some level of immunity.

My 2 cents.

My kid also got the sniffles a lot more than me. Even now he only passes on 50% or so to us adults.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 11:42 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Protecting the newborn (ish) is a good idea, but I can tell you from the experience of others, if you keep your kids out of all daycare/preschool type activities, they will get constantly sick during their first year of public school. All of the other kids will have some level of immunity.

My 2 cents.

My kid also got the sniffles a lot more than me. Even now he only passes on 50% or so to us adults.
We intend to put him in preschool next year when he’s 4. He’s not ready now anyway. Other factors were also at play.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 3:36 PM

Its been constant sickness in our house too.

The 3 year old goes to pre school and dayhome and he's given us some nice sicknesses this year.

And the 10 month old is teething AND sick so what a combination!

My wife goes back to teaching in December. Can't wait to see what she brings home to us!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post

I'm past this stage now (boys are 3 and 6) and most of the time they're playing really well together. BUT! I remember those days - they happened during lockdown where there was no reprieve from it (work from home, no play-dates, no school, etc.). My sister-in-law called those years "the pit". It's the most tiring and trying thing I've ever been through.

I've spoken to parents of 5 and 6 kids and they have said the hardest time of being a parent were when the 2nd one was a baby.

It's hard, but you'll get through it.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 6:08 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinb View Post
I'm past this stage now (boys are 3 and 6) and most of the time they're playing really well together. BUT! I remember those days - they happened during lockdown where there was no reprieve from it (work from home, no play-dates, no school, etc.). My sister-in-law called those years "the pit". It's the most tiring and trying thing I've ever been through.

I've spoken to parents of 5 and 6 kids and they have said the hardest time of being a parent were when the 2nd one was a baby.

It's hard, but you'll get through it.
The pit is a good description. Every day feels like you're drowning. Just preparing meals and doing chores feels impossible. Helps to hear others' experiences. Seems like things were doing ok for the first few months and then this past month has just felt impossible. Every little thing snowballs into a massive stressful situation.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 6:41 PM

Quote:
The pit is a good description. Every day feels like you're drowning. Just preparing meals and doing chores feels impossible. Helps to hear others' experiences. Seems like things were doing ok for the first few months and then this past month has just felt impossible. Every little thing snowballs into a massive stressful situation.
Hang in there, man. It's intense but it doesn't last forever. As one wise soul put it, the days are long but the years are short

My kids are still pretty young, 6 and 9. Still young enough to require a lot of hands-on help and attention. But they are old enough that we have a ton of fun together. I have probably gone with my son to over 50 sports events this calendar year, not even counting the many he has played in I haven't watched quite that many Disney movies with my daughter but we still find ways to have fun too. I miss when they were tiny, but in some ways, it's easier now.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 5:33 PM
Fake News

For anyone familiar with the Wiggles this is hilarious!

https://www.tiktok.com/@h4n1._/video...100482&lang=en

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 5:35 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Hang in there, man. It's intense but it doesn't last forever. As one wise soul put it, the days are long but the years are short

My kids are still pretty young, 6 and 9. Still young enough to require a lot of hands-on help and attention. But they are old enough that we have a ton of fun together. I have probably gone with my son to over 50 sports events this calendar year, not even counting the many he has played in I haven't watched quite that many Disney movies with my daughter but we still find ways to have fun too. I miss when they were tiny, but in some ways, it's easier now.
Thanks. I look forward to that next phase.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada