HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Rod Smith will be taking over the host chair for CFL broadcasts. Excellent choice! He was good the first time around and is one of TSN's best.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=455505
Wow, I wasn't expecting the loss of Randorf (who was awesome, BTW) to lead to an upgrade. I think Smith will be great. I also like the addition of Paul LaPolice as a regular in the lineup... coaches can provide an analytical breakdown of the game in a way that even seasoned former players really can't. Having him there provides some great insights into the game.

Speaking of CFL media, Sports Illustrated's Peter King is bringing the MMQB roadshow to Canada this week, with full coverage of CFL opening week. Today's MMQB has a great guest column by former Als head coach Marc Trestman, with a nicely written paean to the CFL:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/23/marc-t...ay-morning-qb/

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 6:18 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Rod Smith has got to be the worst sports broadcaster hands down. If I even hear his voice it's enough to get me to turn the channel. Not really sure what to think of this announcement. On one hand it means having to hear him every game but on the other it means we only hear him at half time, pre game etc. and don't have to put up with him doing play by play.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Rod Smith has got to be the worst sports broadcaster hands down.
I think you're thinking of someone else named Rod

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 6:59 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yes . . . Think opposite of White.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 7:10 PM

Quote:

Speaking of CFL media, Sports Illustrated's Peter King is bringing the MMQB roadshow to Canada this week, with full coverage of CFL opening week. Today's MMQB has a great guest column by former Als head coach Marc Trestman, with a nicely written paean to the CFL:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/23/marc-t...ay-morning-qb/
I think this is great, CFL is actually sort of almost popular in the States lol, so more high profile coverage would be a great thing for our game.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 7:10 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post

Rod Smith will be taking over the host chair for CFL broadcasts. Excellent choice! He was good the first time around and is one of TSN's best.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=455505
I think this is a missed opportunity to have done something really fresh.

Rod Smith is a good guy. He has a good voice and is a reliable TV man. But he is a bit stale and lacks the spontaneous wit of Randorf.

I think a younger, attractive female presence is exactly what the CFL on TSN programming (and the CFL itself) needed, especially to kick-off what is supposed to be a new era for the CFL and TSN. Of the known TSN personalities, I think Kate Bierness would have been the best choice by far. She is young, attractive, witty and has a seemingly authentic knowledge and love of sports. She also has that tomboy quality which makes "hanging with boys" and talking sports seem very natural and authentic.

I think Kate Bierness (or Jennifer Hedger) would have brought a lot of much-needed freshness and colour and could have done for the CFL on TSN what Andi Petrillo does for the NHL and World Cup on CBC.

http://amoxthought.blogspot.ca/2011/...-reporter.html

Last edited by Prometheus; Jun 23, 2014 at 7:29 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 7:15 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
And unfortunately, I think we're still stuck with him for play-by-play...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 10:29 PM

I like Kate except for her strong Ontario accent.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 10:51 PM
DRINK

I'll watch anything that has Jennifer Hedger.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
I'll watch anything that has Jennifer Hedger.
Ya Jennifer and Kate are both yummy and do a great job. But for me their strong accents make me change the channel.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 12:35 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
I think this is a missed opportunity to have done something really fresh.

Rod Smith is a good guy. He has a good voice and is a reliable TV man. But he is a bit stale and lacks the spontaneous wit of Randorf.

I think a younger, attractive female presence is exactly what the CFL on TSN programming (and the CFL itself) needed, especially to kick-off what is supposed to be a new era for the CFL and TSN. Of the known TSN personalities, I think Kate Bierness would have been the best choice by far.
I agree - while I respect Rod Smith and I'm glad he'll be hosting the games and panel, Kate would have been a great choice too; I really like her style. I wonder if there was serious consideration for that (I guess there's the question of whether she would have wanted to do it). Farhan Lalji was another person I thought might have had a shot.

For now:

Source

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 6:38 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I think this is great, CFL is actually sort of almost popular in the States lol, so more high profile coverage would be a great thing for our game.
That Americans are tuning into the CFL is no surprise to me. If you love football, there's a lot to love about this league. The only surprise is that it's taken this long for them to discover it.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 7:35 AM
Reason and Freedom

Apparently, the CFL generated better national television ratings in the U.S. than Major League Soccer did last summer.

However, although having some CFL being shown on a variety of major U.S. national TV networks over the last four years has given the CFL more exposure in the States and likely attracted some new American fans, I haven't seen any objective evidence to suggest there has been some dramatic surge in interest in the CFL south of the border over historic levels. There has definitely always been a small but respectable CFL following in the States which, with the recent increase in television exposure, is probably growing a little. Until we see some empirical evidence that shows something more, I think that is all we are entitled to say.

But the CFL could be poised for a jump in growth in the U.S. this season now that former NFL superstar Chad Johnson (who has 3.61 million social media followers) has made the Montreal Alouettes. The CFL has not yet announced a U.S. television deal for this season, but the CFL pre-season was shown on ESPN 3, which played-up the Chad Johnson angle in its marketing. Once we see what the U.S. CFL television broadcast schedule looks like this year (assuming a deal is reached), we might learn something about whether U.S. networks see even greater value in the CFL this season.

Last edited by Prometheus; Jun 24, 2014 at 8:04 AM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Apparently, the CFL generated better national television ratings in the U.S. than Major League Soccer did last summer.
I was never terribly surprised that the CFL performs respectably in the US TV ratings... even if many Americans couldn't find Winnipeg or Hamilton on a map if you paid them, the reality is that a good number of CFL players are household names in the US from their NCAA days. There have been a few players with legitimate national profiles (former Heisman winners or runners-up... guys like Troy Smith in Montreal) in the CFL, but there are many more players who dominated their conference in college... guys who were big stars in the PAC-10 or Big East or whatever other regions. I think it's players like this who catch the attention of US viewers.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 3:43 PM

Great editorial by Doug Flutie today, looking forward to reading this for the rest of the week, and very much looking forward to Kick-off on Saturday. http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/24/cfl-do...otball-league/

When I was in California for work a few years ago I was surprised how much a few guys down there knew about the CFL, if you are a football fan you should enjoy the CFL. I find I get more hate here in Canada for supporting the CFL as it's not the cool league the NFL is, but whatever, I think it's great football. The league can be a little amateur at times, and there can be a ridiculous amount of penalties, but it's still very high quality football because of the athletes.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Ya Jennifer and Kate are both yummy and do a great job. But for me their strong accents make me change the channel.

I'd have gone for Sara Orlesky. Also a serious looker, and already covers the CFL.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 1:52 PM

Opening day is finally here!!!

Here's a preview of this week's games, with a focus on the Argos/Bombers matchup

Here's more Canada Week MMQB stuff. This one fixates on the fact that Jon Cornish and some other CFLers have off-season jobs. I don't get why this is such a big deal... he must make in the area of about $250K from football alone which isn't much in the context of the NFL but still puts him close to the top of Canadian earners, especially when you consider that pay is for 6 months work. Getting an off-season job to build a post-football career is just being smart, and judging by the many NFLers who go bankrupt after they leave the football field, it sounds like more players in general could stand to do the same.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 3:18 AM
Hmm....

What the heck Toronto?!?! Yikes.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 9:30 PM

Quote:
CFL, ESPN REACH AGREEMENT ON FIVE-YEAR BROADCAST DEAL

TORONTO - The CFL reached a new multi-year agreement with ESPN on Friday.

A broadcast source said the deal is for five years.

The agreement calls for a minimum of 17 regular-season games as well as the East and West Division finals being broadcast annually on ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNEWS. All other contests will be available live on ESPN3 across computers, smartphones, tablets and connected devices.

The Grey Cup game will be carried live on ESPN2.

"We are thrilled for our fans in the United States that the ESPN networks will be the exclusive home of our league there," CFL commissioner Mark Cohon said in a statement.

"Since the early days of ESPN, CFL games have been a valued part of our programming lineup," said Burke Magnus, senior vice-president, programming acquisitions. "I'm proud to see our relationship continue as we strive to serve football fans 365 days a year."
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=455858

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 5:42 PM
Community Guy

Peter King does a CFL tour... interesting perspective and comments.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/30/canada...er-king-cfl/6/

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada