HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 5:09 PM
Change is good

I think their is now significant pressure on the AB Gov to remove all lights ASAP.

As you've probably seen on the infra page, there are plans for the other remaining lights to become interchanges.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 5:14 PM
Back from the dead

Sorry if I missed it and am making folks have to repeat themselves but what about the Whitemud/AHD interchange in the west ? Why wasn't it fully grade-seperated with the construction of the AHD and , that being the case, when is it going to be ?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 5:21 PM

Theres not too many problems at the Whitemud/AHD interchange right now compared to the lights at Lessard/Callingwood/Stony Plain. Every time I use AHD and exit or enter Whitemud, its usually freeflow with no backups. The problems occur at all the red lights

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 5:49 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Sorry if I missed it and am making folks have to repeat themselves but what about the Whitemud/AHD interchange in the west ? Why wasn't it fully grade-seperated with the construction of the AHD and , that being the case, when is it going to be ?
The full build out of that interchange was introduced as a 40 year plan. Until there is significantly more build out west of AHD, the grade separation we have currently will suffice.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 7:32 PM

What surprises me is that there was no information on grade separation for Cameron Heights Drive. I'm sure it'll be done soon. Having just been in Winnipeg last week, I'd say our Ring Road is already light years ahead of the Perimeter highway out there.

As for the Stony Plain Road interchange, I think I like option 8 the best. It almost seems like they're anticipating upgrading AB 16A west of AHD to a freeway standard. Now if they could just run an LRT down the median...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 7:57 PM
Change is good

Do we really need all 3 of Whitemud, Yellowhead and Stony Plain Road as freeways in the west?

See page 26 of this to see what I'm referring to http://www.alberta.ca/home/CapRegion..._Section_2.pdf

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 8:28 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ Whitemud not for a long time. SPR (16x) and YH (16), yes. They are both major, heavily used commuter and truck routes, and both connect to Highway 43 west of Stony Plain (which connects to / is part of the Alaska Highway)

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Do we really need all 3 of Whitemud, Yellowhead and Stony Plain Road as freeways in the west?

See page 26 of this to see what I'm referring to http://www.alberta.ca/home/CapRegion..._Section_2.pdf
Definitely an asset. Imagine a capital region with 2.5 million people and only two freeways for probably 100,000+ commuters (saying hypothetically Spruce Grove and Stony Plain become that in a 2.5 million person metro area). This doesn't mean we need to be building these freeways NOW, and probably we should be thinking of rail transit for this area, BUT, if for any reason a few years down the road (no pun intended), we realize that an AB 16A freeway is a good idea, at least we have an interchange that compliments this. We obviously don't need another freeway now, but we need some forward thinking so that if the need arises (and it's quite likely), we've planned for it.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 6:39 PM

Record oil prices should get ring road done sooner: Stelmach

Sky-high oil prices may mean higher prices at the pumps, but also a quicker ride for Edmonton motorists.

Premier Ed Stelmach said higher royalties paid to the province could be used to accelerate the completion of ring roads in both Edmonton and Calgary.

That could include the badly-needed overpasses on the western portion of Anthony Henday Drive.

But he said oil prices would have to remain high for that to be considered. "I'd like to, if possible, accelerate all the ring road projects," Stelmach told reporters.

The Henday is scheduled to be completed by 2014.

Stelmach has in the past hinted funding could be coming shortly for much-needed overpasses on the western portion of the Henday, where traffic routinely comes to a crawl, largely the result of a series of traffic signals.

This week, he admitted mistakes were made when constructing that portion of the ring road.

"If I could turn back the clock I would have pounded the fist on the cabinet table harder to propose and push the southwest leg of the Anthony Henday on a public-private partnership, or fight hard to get all the interchanges in place while we're building the road.

"You can see the back-up of traffic."

He said the engineering for the overpasses in already taking place.

"We're looking to put the interchanges into the capital plan so we can complete (the project)."

The price of a barrel of oil is sitting around $130, a new record.

frank.landry@sunmedia.ca

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 8:07 PM
Change is good

anyone else think we should be using all this 'extra' money from high oil prices to build public transit, or an alternativative mode of transportation not so reliant on high pump prices?

Just something seems wrong... Record high oil prices... so lets build some more roads faster so people can drive more, and buy more oil... (wait a minute... I just clued in)

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 8:13 PM
Community Guy

^while i agree there should be mention made of public transit, our 2 ring roads in Edm/Cal NEED to get done ASAP to help the flow of goods and services.

But that being said, there should be a MAJOR push for new public transit in both Edm/Cal.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 8:54 PM

^bingo
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 8:59 PM
Community Guy

^that just cost you $10 in copyright fees.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 8:59 PM

I think mass public transit needs to be done more-or-less concurrently with major road construction.

The very minute new roads are opened up they are filled with cars.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 9:06 PM
Community Guy

^yes and i dont disagree, but municipally we are shifting towards LRT over new roads already. Developers now have to pay for 4 lanes instead of 2 and many improvements.

The province is where we need to shake things up a bit...along with the feds again.

While roadways need expansion in some areas, many need rehabilitation.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 9:32 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^yes and i dont disagree, but municipally we are shifting towards LRT over new roads already. Developers now have to pay for 4 lanes instead of 2 and many improvements.

The province is where we need to shake things up a bit...along with the feds again.

While roadways need expansion in some areas, many need rehabilitation.
You're right. In fact, Mr. Boutillere has stated that the majority of capital project funding will be dedicated towards transit / transit improvements versus the development of new roadways, upgrades, etc.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 10:18 PM

One thing I noticed so far is that there is less police presence and speed traps on AHD compared to say Whitemud or yellowhead. I'm often cruisin 120 km/hr and not scared of getting ticketed.. which is GREAT.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 10:19 PM
Community Guy

^it is RCMP/Sheriff patrolled.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 10:25 PM

I didn't know that.. why is it RCMP when it is in city limits?

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 10:27 PM
Community Guy

at least im pretty sure it is...i saw an RCMP pull someone over.

can someone confirm?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton