HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
LOL You missed my point entirely. I'm not disagreeing with you. The noob was intentionally silly. The Hail Hydra is what should of connected. If I'm right, it's fucking pathetic that you claim to be British officially.
Well Snapper maybe you haven't picked up on this with over 20 000 internet comments on a forum. But tone doesn't translate well.

How should hail hydra connect? Because I'm obviously a marvel fan? How exactly do you discern that old timer? (I actaully hate Marvel and feel it has had a big hand in the downfall of modern cinema, but that's a different discussion).

I see no need for F-bombs either, oddly hostile of you.

Maybe DM me if you want to continue. I would rather not continue derailing this thread.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 4:03 PM
Look at me!

edit

Last edited by Rico Rommheim; Nov 6, 2023 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 4:07 PM
Look at me!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 4:12 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I think they make good antipodes to each other as similarly sized cities on either end of the country (and both good examples of successful, smaller urban environments); but beyond that the similarities seem to be made more along the lines of a checklist of superficial criteria than they are a comparison of the actual look, feel, function, and character of the places.
The checklists remind me of the "sister cities" concept. Halifax has a sister city in Japan, Hakodate, that has a star-shaped fort and naval base, is or was around the same size, has a similar climate, etc. I've never been to Hakodate but I'd assume the on-the-ground urbanism and day-to-day lifestyle there are radically more different from Halifax than a lot of North American places that don't tick as many of those boxes.

St. John's is about as much of an antipode to Victoria as Halifax is. St. John's is the second city of the region and also not on the mainland. There's the same confusion around "coast-to-coast" being Vancouver to Halifax or Victoria to St. John's.

Discussion-wise there's nothing wrong with comparing cities but the comparisons are typically one-directional as far as framing and targets go. I doubt there were a lot of Montrealers bringing up that supposed Calgary-Montreal rivalry. With Halifax there's a lot of comparison to smaller regional and national cities and it usually gets blended in with comments about being sensitive if you don't agree, the same old stuff about Statistics Canada being wrong about the size of the CMA, and so on. I think that stuff tends to keep people away from SSP or in locals; maybe they have better judgement than I do.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 4:24 PM
I am the law!

Halifax is the Toronto of the Maritimes.

Victoria is the west coast version of Ottawa in the Toronto/Montreal corridor

teehee

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 4:28 PM
Unregistered User

In all seriousness, I agree that there are significant issues with comparing Halifax to other cities in Canada... it occupies its own distinct space in terms of the national hierarchy - a regional primate not unlike Winnipeg, but with a population more in league with Victoria or London.

Try comparing it to places more in line with it population wise and you get comments either saying "Halifax is clearly larger than Victoria/St. John's/Regina/Whatever" and a dismissiveness about how Halifax's on-the-ground urbanism is so far removed from those places as to make meaningful comparisons effectively impossible.

On the other hand, try comparing it to larger cities like Winnipeg/Calgary/Quebec City that might more closely resemble how Halifax functions within its own regional political economy, and you get comments on how Halifax is so substantially smaller than those other cities that meaningful comparisons are likewise effectively impossible.

There really is no perfect analogue to Halifax, but the consistent complaints when Halifax is subject to these comparisons is a little grating. Like, obviously Halifax is older than Victoria, obviously it has a different built environment, obviously it plays a larger role in the regional context, obviously it's a little bigger, but to screech and moan that the comparison is somehow... offensive (?) really stretches credulity. This is a forum dedicated to discussing these issues, if you have a better idea of what Halifax should be compared to please enlighten the world, otherwise just let the fact of these imperfect comparisons go....

That's not to say we can't dive into and dissect where the commonalities and differences lie in these comparisons, or observe that Halifax probably has more differences than commonalities wherever this comparison is drawn, but to cry bloody murder at the fact of the bare comparison does not make for a good posting enviroment, IMO. I get that a lot of you have been posting here since 2003 or whatever (and while I don't have a high post count, I've been lurking since 2007, when I found SSP to be a great source of discussion re: the newly released 2006 census results), but if people want to re-tread old ground, who cares??? Who cares if someone who joined three years ago doesn't remember discussions that took place in like 2013 or whatever. Unless you just want to see SSP die along with the old guard.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 4:37 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:

Victoria is the west coast version of Ottawa in the Toronto/Montreal corridor

teehee
Thunder Bay is the Halifax of Northwestern Ontario

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 4:50 PM

Two of my favourite buildings in a skyline have to be in Calgary, Telus and Brookfield:

Calgary by Marcanadian, on Flickr

Calgary by Marcanadian, on Flickr

And another of a small former fur trading post

Blue Bridge during Blue Hour by David Axford, on Flickr

Also really like the new buildings in Montreal - much like Edmonton and especially Calgary it’s helped to diversify the colour palette of the skyline from predominantly, brick, beige and grey (NOT that I’m saying Montreal is the same as Calgary!)

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 4:56 PM

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 5:12 PM

Great Montreal shot with the glass outer ring!

The round building - the McIntyre Medical Sciences Building, built in 1965 made me think of round buildings elsewhere in Canada. Off the top of my head I can think of that elevated apartment building in Winnipeg, the Vancouver Library does’t qualify, nor the Human Rights Museum or Toronto City Hall and neither do spheres, water towers, etc. Any others?

There’s this odd but iconic round government building in Duncan on Vancouver Island of all places. Great little story about it linked below, built in 1970 and they demolished a small Chinatown in the process.

https://thediscourse.ca/cowichan-val...n-mayor-quaife

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post

The round building - the McIntyre Medical Sciences Building, built in 1965 made me think of round buildings elsewhere in Canada. Off the top of my head I can think of that elevated apartment building in Winnipeg, the Vancouver Library does’t qualify, nor the Human Rights Museum or Toronto City Hall and neither do spheres, water towers, etc. Any others?
For Edmonton the Chateau Lacombe:

https://www.hotelplanner.com/Hotels/...J1N7#HotelName

and Edmonton House is round-ish:

https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/bui...on-house/15400

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 5:58 PM

Ah good one! I stayed in that hotel once prior to the reclad, yet somehow forgot it, lol.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 7:19 PM
Urban Fanactic

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 8:02 PM
Urban Fanactic

Toronto from Billy Bishop Airport to Union Station.

pics by me.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 1:49 AM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Last edited by Coldrsx; Nov 8, 2023 at 3:01 AM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Please do not insult Halifax like that.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 1:55 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post

There’s this odd but iconic round government building in Duncan on Vancouver Island of all places. Great little story about it linked below, built in 1970 and they demolished a small Chinatown in the process.

https://thediscourse.ca/cowichan-val...n-mayor-quaife
Sad they destroyed a Chinatown for it, but it's a lovely odd building. Built the year before Regina's City Hall which is pretty much the same materials and has the same arch motif.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 6:18 PM
Community Guy

A relatively unique view of Edmonton from NAIT.

Stevey_G on src
https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/f...9#post-2012790

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 8:01 PM
Look at me!

DSC01033 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

DSC01046 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 1:27 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
A relatively unique view of Edmonton from NAIT.

Stevey_G on src
https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/f...9#post-2012790
Great angle. Great shot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada